• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport 7 Demo: Xbox One vs Xbox One X vs PC Comparison!

Source (Video)

We got the chance to check out a preview version of the Xbox One X game (not the Gamescom demo as Dave mentions here) and stack it up against the base Xbox One and PC demos. The preview build has some differences (principally a colour shift - but to be clear, this is not incorrect HDR footage), but there's more than enough to show us how PC stacks up against both consoles.

The Xbox One runs the game at 1080p 60 fps and the Xbox One X runs the game at 4K 60 fps.

From Dave's findings, the Xbox One X appears to offer the "high-end PC experience" allegedly offering identical levels of quality, with the main difference Dave spotted being the implementation of AA, as MSAA can be increased up-to 8x on the PC, whilst the Xbox One X appears to be using AMD's EQAA.

Compared to the base Xbox One, the Xbox One X offers longer draw distances, environments with a higher level of detail, increased foliage density, higher resolution textures and better anisotropic filtering. In the demo the anisotropic filtering on the Xbox One appears to be around 4-8x.

Digital Foundry plan to take a more in-depth look at the game when it launches.

Hmmmm... I would have liked to see multiple modes to choose from like Tomb Raider does for example. I mean let's say someone doesn't have a 4K screen there is very little reason to buy One X for this game. It's clear MS is dead set in delivering native 4K for their own games but options are always good too.

And even as an 4K TV owner I would have liked to see more differences. These differences are incredibly small. Then again we are watching a YouTube clip and in my case on my phone.

Marmelade

Hmmmm... I would have liked to see multiple modes to choose from like Tomb Raider does for example. I mean let's say someone doesn't have a 4K screen there is very little reason to buy One X for this game. It's clear MS is dead set in delivering native 4K for their own games but options are always good too.

And even as an 4K TV owner I would have liked to see more differences. These differences are incredibly small. Then again we are watching a YouTube clip and in my case on my phone.

It's already at max settings/native 4k/locked 60 and will automatically downsample for 1080p owners
What other mode is there to offer?

It's already at max settings/native 4k/locked 60 and will automatically downsample for 1080p owners
What other mode is there to offer?

Hmmm...perhaps checkerboard 4K and so that they can make the trees away in the wind for example perhaps or more graphical bells and whistles? I guess i just expected a bigger difference. But again, i can see the differences being easier to spot when you are in front of your TV and seeing it that way.

Qassim

It's a shame they didn't want to push any further than the Xbox One X version on PC. I'm at around 60% GPU usage average on my 1080Ti @ 4K WITH 8x MSAA (totally unnecessary given I'm already downsampling from 4k->1440p, so GPU usage would be lower), locked at 60fps. (This required setting my display to 60Hz and disabling G-Sync, as otherwise I had a bit more frametime variance than I'd like, but hopefully this gets sorted before release as Turn 10 have implied).

Because otherwise, it looks like I'd just have to settle for higher framerate (which is still cool, but some higher quality settings would have been nice).

From playing the demo on x1 turn 10 have cut ALOT of corners to achieve 60fps.

Aliasing, awful shimmering, shadow quality and limited shadow casting, lod swaps, pre baked reflections, rain drops on the wind shield look like 2d sprites and of course the iconic forza lighting which in its 7th iteration looks as flat and dull as it's ever been.

Momentary

Banned

Aliasing, awful shimmering, shadow quality and limited shadow casting, lod swaps, pre baked reflections, rain drops on the wind shield look like 2d sprites and of course the iconic forza lighting which in its 7th iteration looks as flat and dull as it's ever been.

The LOD car model swaps are really jarring during gameplay. I wish there was a toggle for this on the PC. The same goes for some of the environment. Reflections in the water sometimes pop in out of nowhere.

Neith

Banned
The LOD car model swaps are really jarring during gameplay. I wish there was a toggle for this on the PC.

Yikes, that really sucks to hear to be honest. I hope maybe a future patch can iron some things out. These guys seem to be on a really tight schedule.

That being said reflections on water are garbage in a lot of games.

LOD swaps are the bane of my existence though.

BigEmil

Bet MS makes sure the UWP games are not as optimised on PC as it can be as they don't want to outshine the Xbox versions much and want to show only the highest end PC is equivalent so to push you to think your just better off getting a X1X

Otherwise this game could have been much more well optimised on low-mid range PC equivalent to normal Xbox One for sure

Profanity

Bet MS makes sure the UWP games are not as optimised on PC as it can be as they don't want to outshine the Xbox versions much and want to show only the highest end PC is equivalent so to push you to think your just better off getting a X1X

Otherwise this game could have been much more well optimised on low-mid range PC equivalent to normal Xbox One for sure

Wow you're really hitting all the threads with this rhetoric aren't you? Congratulations, you cracked the conspiracy! Microsoft is sending goons to your place right this instant.

Normally im not for conspiracy etc but this is the first thing that i thought of..
Now they can say look xox is better then high end pcs...
But real deal ia that they really dont put any effort in the pc version. Hence the cpu core 1 100% etc.
Perhaps that pc version will be fixed after xox launches... Hope they fix it before or this will be last forza i will ever buy.

onQ123

Why would they do that when they will get just as much out of selling the game on Windows store?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The LOD car model swaps are really jarring during gameplay. I wish there was a toggle for this on the PC. The same goes for some of the environment. Reflections in the water sometimes pop in out of nowhere.

keep "car model quality" on max?

Zojirushi

Bummer that this performs so much worse for me than Apex. I thought that was supposed to be the game where they figure all this PC stuff out and then blow everyone out of the water with FM7 :(

Popsickles

Why would they do that when they will get just as much out of selling the game on Windows store?
Because that doesn't sell hardware

Wow you're really hitting all the threads with this rhetoric aren't you? Congratulations, you cracked the conspiracy! Microsoft is sending goons to your place right this instant.

Why not. It's always been Microsoft pushing parity clauses with other consoles do why not PC

eso76

Would have liked a more in-depth look at the car models.
Same quality across all platforms ? LOD swapping happening at the same distance ?
Does the full version on PC allow using ultra LOD0 models ?

GuessWho

The forza 7 demo on my pc is very inconsistent. sometimes runs smoothly, others...it drops below 30 fps and i'm running it at 1080p.
I have a gtx 1060

Outrun

It will up sample though right?

N21

It's very clear that XB games are still console first, PC second and that's a shame. I, however will be jumping on the X version as that seems like the better choice. I did try the game on an Intel G with a 960 and the game worked to my surprise.

Why not. It's always been Microsoft pushing parity clauses with other consoles do why not PC

There's only one clause that MS is officially enforcing at the moment unless you have some unforeseen details you won't mind sharing with us?

I'm pretty sure MS make just as much if not more from PC sells that have Windows 10 on them.

MS gets a percentage of every game you buy for your One X. Also you will probably get a Live gold suscription.

If you buy your games on steam, MS gets nothing.

onQ123

MS gets a percentage of every game you buy for your One X. Also you will probably get a Live gold suscription.

If you buy your games on steam, MS gets nothing.

You do know that this is a MS game right? & you do know that MS get paid when people buy a PC with Windows right?

LoveCake

It could have been worse on the original Xbox One by the looks of it (which I am on) but what about the Xbox One S?

btags

Where are the baked reflections? Reflections on the hood when using the hood view are ssr and for puddles they use mirrored geometry.

They're actually not - the S has a marginal GPU clock and ESRAM bandwidth boost.
Yeah the consoles are slightly different, true, but it's nothing you'll see FM7 really benefit from outside the HDR option. It's locked at 1080p@60fps. Had it been dynamic in any way we'd see differences, like in say Project Cars.

Coming off the Pro I found the base Xbox version was just too jaggy and muddy, I was honestly surprised how much I’ve turned against 1080p in the last few months.

Watched this footage on my TV and looks amazing, really excited to get my hands on the Xbox One X and this beauty.

watership

Hmmm...perhaps checkerboard 4K and so that they can make the trees away in the wind for example perhaps or more graphical bells and whistles? I guess i just expected a bigger difference. But again, i can see the differences being easier to spot when you are in front of your TV and seeing it that way.

ehh, if someone wanted to mess with details that much, they'd get a PC. 4k 60 on 4k Tvs, and 1080p downsampled at 4k seems pretty much a win/win.

Because Microsoft wants you to buy Xbox instead of a Windows PC where they make more money. They put all their games on PC for this reason. Are you kidding?

watership

Btw, in case you're wondering why more games aren't 60fps, look at this thread. Forza games are always locked solid and smooth on 60 on consoles, and yet there are still complaints.

"Native 4k, 60fps. Locked"

"Eh...I wish they.---"

Qassim

It's an absolutely absurd theory.

Microsoft only recently decided to start putting all their games on PC too. But really, what they were actually doing was investing a load of money, time and effort into developing PC games again for the sole purpose of driving people to buy one of their consoles.

Cause you know, that works better simply not making the games for PC..

onQ123

Btw, in case you're wondering why more games aren't 60fps, look at this thread. Forza games are always locked solid and smooth on 60 on consoles, and yet there are still complaints.

"Native 4k, 60fps. Locked"

"Eh...I wish they.---"

I guess it's more of the PC & soon to be Xbox One X owners that might be looking for a bigger jump from the Xbox One that's not just based on having a higher resolution, so it get a lot of "what if" thoughts.

c0de

I guess it's more of the PC & soon to be Xbox One X owners that might be looking for a bigger jump from the Xbox One that's not just based on having a higher resolution, so it get a lot of "what if" thoughts.

But the game offers more than a resolution bump?

Where are the baked reflections? Reflections on the hood when using the hood view are ssr and for puddles they use mirrored geometry.

Then the mirrored geometry isn't accurate.

There are objects that either simply don't render or are out of position. That and the cars look disconnected from the road when it's wet.

Top Bottom