• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Forza Motorsport 7 is Xbox One X's true 4K showcase

gamz

Damn, the differences between Forza 6 on Xbox One and Forza 7 on Xbox One X are massive...

MscbahJ.jpg

That's fucking nuts.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Ambient occlusion is missing for most of the geometry.
Lighting is only right on photogrammetry assets.
Fhotogrammetry assets have really low resolution textures.
Most of reflections are not real time calculated.
Geometry reflections on the cars run at half the framerate.
Car shadows don't project over track assets.
Some tracks elements don't render at full resolution.

really bad for a game that is supposed to be seen as a showcase

BigEmil

Considering Forza M games are already 1080p 60fps on Xbox One it should be less demanding to put on Xbox One X
Compromises made for native 4k

Yep racegames are good to show off. I find these type of sim racing games mind numbingly boring though. We need more arcade racers again.

KageMaru

There's a *LOT* more coming. Was only limited by the encoding speeds + bandwidth of the hotel. Now that I'm back, I can start working with ALL of the footage.

Going to post a lot more 4K stuff but also things like Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors and more.

Awesome, looking forward to it.

really bad for a game that is supposed to be seen as a showcase

Every game on every system has compromises. Are you trying to say the game doesn't look impressive?

Right, which is why most people were disappointed because it's 2017 and they haven't given a fuck about Forza for years. It's the most milquetoast 4k showpiece they could have gone with.

KageMaru

less that should be, specially the 30fps reflections

We don't know if or what may be improved at by launch time. If in the end I had to choose between dynamic lighting and weather or 60fps reflections, I'd choose the former instead of the latter. It's a big leap from Froza 6, which should be the important part, not cherry picking aspects to downplay the look of the game.

Still don't know if it's to early to buy a 4K set. Game looks great, but tv sets with Dynamic metadata ( HDMI 2.1 ) seem to be worth waiting for.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
We don't know if or what may be improved at by launch time. If in the end I had to choose between dynamic lighting and weather or 60fps reflections, I'd choose the former instead of the latter. It's a big leap from Froza 6, which should be the important part, not cherry picking aspects to downplay the look of the game.

a showcase should be the product at its full visual glory. and i hope we can choose everthing, because there will be a pc version ;)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I think Project Cars 2 is the more ambitious game, technically. Will be curious to see how it runs on consoles since they rewrote so much of the engine and told me that they are getting much higher frame-rates on consoles even in full grids with weather than the original game. PC should be super optimized as well.

This is terrific news. Dying to see pcars2 on x1x

cakely

It seems that all of the above problems have been with Forza since the beginning. The really noticeable one for me when I play is car shadows not affecting guardrails and track walls. I'm guessing it's their lighting engine.

Then again, dynamic weather and time of day changes are awesome features, and the Forza 7 gameplay videos (The nurb weather change one in particular) prove that it's a gorgeous game and the best-looking one in the series.

Another problem I noticed with Forza 7 is that when they drive through the tunnel in the Dubai track, there's no headlight lighting at all. Obviously the game isn't finished, but it's another issue that needs to be addressed.

Well the headlights aren't on for a start....

Yea.. on the player car... or any car. I guess everyone just drives through pitch dark tunnels without putting on their headlights.

Besides, in which racing games do headlights not automatically turn on when going through tunnels?

In another video I saw, the person playing says something like "omg this is dark, where are my headlights" and the rep doesn't say anything.

Madness

I wonder, if they cut the 4K resolution, and did checkerboard 4K or even something like 1440p/60fps, whether a lot more visual fidelity could be pushed ie. Real time reflections, car shadows over tracks.

I still hope they have Xbox One X and Forza 7 demo kiosks set up places to actually see for ourselves. This seems to be the tech showpiece for the console.

I wonder, if they cut the 4K resolution, and did checkerboard 4K or even something like 1440p/60fps, whether a lot more visual fidelity could be pushed ie. Real time reflections, car shadows over tracks.

I still hope they have Xbox One X and Forza 7 demo kiosks set up places to actually see for ourselves. This seems to be the tech showpiece for the console.

Of course it could. But then it would be too different from the standard XB1 version, so I guess they have to stick with a happy middle ground. Plus playing games in 4K is like a big graphics upgrade in itself so it's not really a waste.

Shin

Banned
Great looking game, I was in awe how great the rocks looked along the Hafeet pass when they demo'd it.

Damn, the differences between Forza 6 on Xbox One and Forza 7 on Xbox One X are massive...

MscbahJ.jpg
That looks a bigger leap than going from F4 to F5, or the leaps other franchises did like Gran Turismo.

Edit, after zooming in the image not really, but still a hefty upgrade.

Hawk269

I thought they said that the lighting was not dynamic, that it was pre-baked for certain tracks. Like the Nurb track, that the lighting and weather changes were specific to that track. The way the stuff in the OP is that they do indeed have dynamic time of day and weather? I am confused!

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
That looks a bigger leap than going from F4 to F5, or the leaps other franchises did like Gran Turismo.

Edit, after zooming in the image not really, but still a hefty upgrade.

It's a pretty huge difference watching on my 4K tv. Even my wife was impressed with the split screen comparison and she doesn't normally notice that stuff.

Hawk269

I wish we had the chance of capturing our Forza 7 footage again without HDR enabled like DF did. Ho well, more power to them :)
I'm going to try and see if I can use the HDR capture and produce some actual HDR10 videos in a few hours. This could be sweet if I get it to work.
As for the game, I'm not a huge fan of the desert track, it's a bit too clean in terms of lighting. The race with changing weather is amazing though :)

Please and thank you Blim. If you can get the full race at Nurb with the weather changing, especially the last lap where it clears and you can post a 4k video of that, I would for one would be very grateful. To me that last lap, especially the last 1/4 part was visually the most impressive thing I have seen. The way the lighting, the wet track, the perfectly clear view was just amazing. I kind of wish they did a 3 lap race so we could see the sun rise a bit more and it glistening off the still slightly wet tarmac.

Hawk269

Can't wait to see how amazing the next Horizon game looks.

This so much. Playground working with T10, usually take all the great things that they do in the mainline game and then with creative choice to go with 30fps (which is fine with me) they turn everything up and make it open world. Going by Forza Horizon 3 and how amazing that looks on a standard Xbox One, it is going to be amazing what they do with the Xbox One X.

RyudBoy

People are setting themselves up to be disappointed if they think the weather and time of day is dynamic. It's only for certain tracks and will change exactly the same every time. I don't have a problem since it still looks really cool.

and yet real life still looks more lifelike at SD resolution

That's downsampled though, from an insanely high number of photonic resolution. I don't know what that would be in numbers? A lazy google search-first result brought up a claim of
"10 to the power of 17 photons per second per square centimeter in bright daylight". Good luck trying to brute force that with SLI!

R aka Bon

Don't know how to post pics or GIFs like some of you do, but the part where we saw the sunset after it had rained was so beautiful. Seeing the lighting, the blue horizon and the skies reflect on the wet track was a sight to behold.

Top Bottom