• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Godfall on PlayStation 5: The Next-Gen Tech Breakdown

GHG

they’ve always been honest about it, stop crying because they didn’t give your favorite piece of plastics version of a video game higher marks than it actually deserves.

If you guys genuinely think that money, favours and things like "exclusive access" don't exchange hands between DF and the major players in the industry then you are naive.

The problem is that they are not always transparent when it happens. The data that they produce is valuable, the commentary, not so much.

However they need to make money so I can't blame them too much, they are a business as much as every other company is.

Romulus

I called this game from the beginning. They never showed anything but fighting the same types of enemies over and over. No variation.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
4K is indeed a waste with upscaling options being available, I was just pointing that the resolution seems lower than expected for what is being displayed.

Ohh yeah.
1440p with Unreals TAAU actually looks really really good.
Ofcourse resolution snobs will tell you 4K or bust.

If you put the TAAU early enough it becomes very very hard to see the lower resolution especially in motion without literally going side by side.

QlAZNIH.jpg

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Great tech piece, straight up tech talk, no pussyfooting, amazing next gen visuals....

So Demon Souls and Godfall are two built for next gen games so far...>We are already seeing the benefits of what these machines can do uncompromized with developers having their first go....It's also great that the developer used UE5, because if the nanite demo has anything to say, we are in for some really draw dropping and seamless games...

Summary: So Godfall on PS5

Two Modes: Resolution and Performance....Performance is a 60fps locked in gameplay at 1350p, in cutscenes we have some dips because of bokeh.....Resolution is native 4k, transformative in image quality and sharpness, some better effects, motion blur is present in both modes, though higher quality with a cleaner refinement in high rez mode....High rez mode plays at an unlocked framerate, always above 30fps as per the video...

An excellent show of next gen visuals....High density, high quality foliage and environmental details. Huge map with no pop-in issues, quick loadtimes from the hub world....Seamless and high quality detail in very large worlds and locations...Particle effects are GPU based and are high rez, abundant and high quality, but never stagnates the GPU.....In essence a game that ticks all the next gen whistles touted by the PS5 console design.....Fast IO, great textures, large seamless worlds.....Morgan says these worlds could not be done on last gen machines, not with that level of ATD, seamless transitions between worlds/locations, lod quality and effects.....And of course, this was a games built ground up for 60fps....A great showing all in all for next gen...

He was calling out thelastword thelastword

And of course there's this REEEEE:

I think I saw this in another thread, I figured he was referring to me, but why after all this time. I don't even go to Reset.....Yet the hypocrisy from these guys are palpable...I'm pretty sure they read GAF often, looking up what we think of their faceoffs and general takes on next gen.......Dictator and I always had our differences....I called him out on OLD GAF way before he ever dreamed of working for DF.....He says everything stays the same and is almost dismissive of GAF as a place that has been forgotten, but we all know they read this place daily...

Dictator was always a PCMR goon, with a side trophy for the XBOX. I have no issues with a man's preference, only when he is trying to argue against facts and using FUDulent tactics that clearly goes against well written receipts.....He was a Crysis and Star Citizen zealot, who saw nothing else but PC PC PC, so naturally we disagreed on which games looked better, which technologies looked better in the space, circa 2010 or thereafter...I see that since he joined DF, he was only able to expand on his disingenuous and false claims habits "sans receipts";.....PS5 has no hardware raytracing, 8TF at best, false takes and buffoonery pieces like "it's the lighting".....So much pent up expectations on 12TF, when they should have been thinking a bit more like we did over here at GAF and extrapolating on what Cerny really did with his 10.2TF, his reduction/expulsion of any bottlenecks he could find, to streamline a piece of machine that would be the most performant for games. You see, we were discussing the finer details, whilst they were just FUDDING and beating their chest like simpletons as all they saw was 12 > 10, without reading all the other areas in the makeup that 10 > 12....IO, Geometry Engine, One ram pool, higher clocks which lifts all other processes and the fact that every part of the PS5 is well positioned on board to maximize read and writes and quicken comms between CPU, GPU, MEM and IO.....

Godfall is but an eyeopener as to what is possible....Sony has a cadre of developers much more competent than Counterplay Games and even in multiplats, what we expected and were discussing as plusses on GAF for PS5 is what's being realized in realtime...Perhaps he should take an exercise book, a 2h pencil and come seat at GAF's table to get some tutoring and perspective.....

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
A pity there isn't a 30 FPS lock option for 4k native . It's the second after DMC SE. Is it really that problematic to add? I'm curious

Be careful what you wish for. The devs will just add a 30 fps lock to the resolution mode. That's great for now, but you'll hate the devs for doing this once the PS5 Pro or PS6 drops.

Greggy

I don't like the souls games and I was "forced" to get Demon's souls just because of the outrageous price of Godfall given the reviews. How Come WD Legion has a black Friday sale and not this game?
I don't blame the devs. Very little time with a completely new hardware. But 70£ is bad deal.

assurdum

Banned
Be careful what you wish for. The devs will just add a 30 fps lock to the resolution mode. That's great for now, but you'll hate the devs for doing this once the PS5 Pro or PS6 drops.
I'm asking of a lock option in the setting for 30 fps when fps is unstable, option, mind you. It's not that or the other

inflation

I guess that’s why physical form of a game is important even in the future.

wachie

Wish he called them out directly. The people who are insufferable towards DF should be perma banned.
Just look at posts like these:
I just watched a 10 minute ad for a bad game.
And I feel like shit now.

But atleast now when NeoGAF say DF are shills they have a video to backup their claims.
Congrats DF.

Will wait for the non-sponsored PS5/XSX/PCRT breakdown.
You can even tell its an ad because there are keypoints they asked him to cover that he makes sure to mention.

Wish he called them out directly. The people who are insufferable towards DF should be perma banned.

It's more than probable that it's the thelastword.

Maybe we should permaban the users asking/begging to ban fellow gaffers who actually stick to Gaf and don't shit on the place from twitter or Reera (because they can't face the music here without special diva privileges and protection). We don't need that shit here thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i gave up too. Did hew even address RT? PS5 has it and PC doesn’t.
What are you talking about? RT works on PC and better than ps5. It runs only on AMD gpu's right now, coming soon to Nvidia.

"Godfall Ray Tracing Now Enabled on PC, But Only on AMD GPUs; NVIDIA Getting It Later"

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Just look at posts like these:

If you knew my post history you would realize just how much of an ass you look like right now.

Sarcasm doesnt show up in posts but atleast look at my avatar ive literally had it for years and have pretty much always defended DF whenever they get called shills whether its for Sony/MS/PC/NVidia/AMD whatever.

So please dont @ me willy nilly.

M_A_C

What are you talking about? RT works on PC and better than ps5. It runs only on AMD gpu's right now, coming soon to Nvidia.

"Godfall Ray Tracing Now Enabled on PC, But Only on AMD GPUs; NVIDIA Getting It Later"

oh ok I didn’t know the details.

If you knew my post history you would realize just how much of an ass you look like right now.

Sarcasm doesnt show up in posts but atleast look at my avatar ive literally had it for years and have pretty much always defended DF whenever they get called shills whether its for Sony/MS/PC/NVidia/AMD whatever.

So please dont @ me willy nilly.
Not gonna lie, I was confused by their reply, only cause I knew you weren't being serious.

The classified dude on the other hand was being dead serious.

Robins

The thing is, people complaining about the price. Due to it being a release title, even just 250,000 sales at $70 would gross $17.5 million.

The developers are going to do just fine despite the poor reviews.

So the PS5 version doesn't have Ray Tracing any more?
They are saying the PC version will at a later date, and will use Direct RT.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Love digital foundry. Don't t get the hate. Godfall as always looked boring. Should have been a 30 dollar game.

1440P is an easy fix. Just turn the settings down in some areas. Also, even a 2080 fluctuates between 40 and 50fps at 4K in Godfall. So not too different to what we see with PS5.

Besides that, very funny to see certain Xbox fans fighting for getback in this thread.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Yeah, I agree. As games get more advanced, will these weird arse resolutions become the norm?

I don't mind the weirdness of the resolution, but it needs to be justified by increases in the overall fidelity, and this game - to put it mildly - doesn't manage that.

This whole game seems like a mess to me. DF claimed that the footage shown at the PS5 event in June was 4k60 - and it certainly looked rough enough to substantiate that.

Then the game started looking better and better every time they showed it. To the point where it seemed impossible it could be 4k60 anymore... what happened?

Did they just abandon the 4k60 target late on or something? And just tried to throw loads of effects etc at it to get people more interested?

I dunno. The game just seems to have been a bit of a disaster tbh.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The resolution mode should have been just 4K at 30 FPS, like many other devs are doing. It would be a locked 30.

Very happy to see locked 60 in performance mode. The game looks beautiful (despite the dull gameplay), considering it's by an indie studio.

CAB_Life

He was calling out thelastword thelastword

And of course there's this REEEEE:

Pretty sure ERA is objectively more racist since they see everything through the lens of identity politics, which means primarily see/ can’t anything but race, creed, sexuality, etc, which means you’re inherently bigoted. The only difference between the KKK and a Black Panther is the colour they despise.

More to the point, people shitting on DF need to either do these videos themselves or stfu. They’re providing a highly valuable service, for which 99% of us aren’t qualified enough to even give an opinion. And no, spitting out some half-garbled tech nonsense you saw in a Cerny video doesn’t make you qualified for anything other than being an idiot.

Last edited:

The Skull

Will be interesting when Digital Foundry cover Cyberpunk. Based on their coverage of Ion Fury, I'm expecting John to get straight up cancelled by Era.

Codes 208

Lost me at “sponsored”

what’s the point of doing a proper breakdown when you have to kiss their ass while doing it?

Top Bottom