• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Gran Turismo 7 on PSVR2 - An Incredible Racing Experience

Draugoth

Gold Member

It's the quality of the games that will make or break PlayStation VR2 - and launch titles supplied in the review period did not quite convince. Gran Turismo 7 was made available to journalists and public alike at the headset's launch - and it's a game-changer. In this video, John breaks down how good the VR upgrade is, and how Sony achieved it, with head-to-head comparisons with the standard 'flat' version of the game.

If only VR2 would officially support PC (eg Dirt or Assetto on PC-VR etc.) and also their PS3 wheels that have no real reason to be not working. It would be so much easier for customers if some things were just open.

Loxus

I like how GT 7 treats the PSVR2 like an actual peripheral. It's almost like adding mouse and keyboard support or a gaming wheel to games.

The part where taking off the headset and it's switches to 2D is what will make PSVR2 so good in my opinion.

No need for devs to make an entirely separate game for VR anymore if they follow what GT7 did.

And I feel like this can work for 3d person games as well if done right.

Options to disable some motion controls are good too. Like if I don't want to be waving my hands around except for aiming a gun.

The possibilities for games with PSVR2 are near endless.

Last edited:

Romulus

I've been playing VR for years and the quality of the assets just shines here in VR like nothing else. You cannot appreciate what the developers have done in non VR. Not like this.

Last edited:

Outlier

I really don't understand why so many are saying GT7 is the best PSVR2 experience/game.
I was wowed the first time I went into the VR showroom, but after that it was just "cool".
Horizon COTM is my best VR experience, so far.
Most of my positive experience is the immersion when sitting in the cars and moving around.
I prefer to play GT7 in VR as I just feel more connected to the gameplay, but...

Maybe all the people talking about how they get clear/crisp visuals are comparing them to other VR headsets, but it's a notably fuzzy view for me (every game), even in the sweet spot. Makes me feel like I need glasses. I'm guessing this is just normal, due to the current state of the technology.

Last edited:

XXL

This is one (and Pavlov) of the best games in existence. I will never be able to go back to flat screen racing.

If anyone doubts VR is the future, you need to try this and Pavlov and you may change your mind.

Last edited:

Romulus

I really don't understand why so many are saying GT7 is the best PSVR2 experience/game.
I was wowed the first time I went into the VR showroom, but after that it was just "cool".
Horizon COTM is my best VR experience, so far.
Most of my positive experience is the immersion when sitting in the cars and moving around.
I prefer to play GT7 in VR as I just feel more connected to the gameplay, but...

Maybe all the people talking about how they get clear/crisp visuals are comparing them to other VR headsets, but it's a notably fuzzy view for me (every game), even in the sweet spot. Makes me feel like I need glasses. I'm guessing this is just normal, due to the current state of the technology.

If it looks that fuzzy to you, that means you're not hitting the sweet spot. :messenger_beaming: You might be getting close, but not completely. It's not as good as 4k for sure, but nowhere near "fuzzy." Could be something with IPD settings too, but something isn't right.

Ronin_7

Banned
This is one (and Pavlov) of the best games in existence. I will never be able to go back to flat screen racing.

If anyone doubts VR is the future, you need to try this and Pavlov and you may change your mind.
Flat Screen is shit once you game on VR, unfortunately normal gaming experiences still can't be played in VR due to motion sickness.

Village made me sick before i turned off motion smoothness or WTF the name is.

I will just alternate between TV & VR for the rest of the Generation.

ABnormal

I like how GT 7 treats the PSVR2 like an actual peripheral. It's almost like adding mouse and keyboard support or a gaming wheel to games.

The part where taking off the headset and it's switches to 2D is what will make PSVR2 so good in my opinion.

No need for devs to make an entirely separate game for VR anymore if they follow what GT7 did.

Options to disable some motion controls are good too. Like if I don't want to be waving my hands around except for aiming a gun.

Yes. The only real fundamental obstacle, both for enjoyment and for gameplay design, is motion sickness. It makes impossible for many to enjoy it freely, and force developers to tame game design to not make motion sick even those who can play it in the present.
The real breakthrough in VR will happen when motion sickness will be radically solved (maybe thanks that tech that Valve spoke about, apparently capable to suppress it entirely): from there, anyone will be able to enjoy it, and gameplay will be able to dare ANY immaginable use of 3D space and interaction.

ABnormal

Of course comparisons are with other headsets.

Lens focus aside, to have an idea of how you would see a game on PSVR2, you can take the flat game and look at it on a 4k TV from eight inches away at the centre of the screen.

Shifty1897

he says that in the parts of the screens you do NOT look at is rendered with only 240p !!!
It is impressive, since nobody noticed this within the headset... Sony did a good job with this foveated rendering indeed!
Yeah I feel like this is the tech secret sauce. Only rendering in full the part of the screen you're looking at is such a simple yet wild concept, it's amazing to see it work so well.

It's a shame Sony isn't hyping this up as PSVR2's killer app over Call of the Mountain.

Klik

I dont play GT but i play PC racing sims that are much more realistic in terms of force feedback/physics etc, i play them in VR and its really a gamechanger for racing games. Doesnt matter if its single monitor, triple or 5 monitors, VR is just completely beast in terms of immersion and its gonna get better and better.

Cant wait for Meta Quest 3 later this year, they will use pancake lens that i much better compared to Fresnel that Psvr2 uses

RoboFu

One of the green rats
“ game changer “ like it hasn’t been done before in pc racers.

Okay I’m officially following the rise ( or fall ) of psvr2 over the next year. Let’s see how much of a “ game changer “ this is really….

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't know, something feels off.
And I get this feeling with all the games so far.
But I seem smaller in VR then I should be.
The driver in GT7 has this tiny body and other games I feel too close to the floor like I'm sat down.
The doors in RE8 look a foot too short too

Mr.Phoenix

he says that in the parts of the screens you do NOT look at is rendered with only 240p !!!
It is impressive, since nobody noticed this within the headset... Sony did a good job with this foveated rendering indeed!
Part I found most impressive.
Yeah I feel like this is the tech secret sauce. Only rendering in full the part of the screen you're looking at is such a simple yet wild concept, it's amazing to see it work so well.

It's a shame Sony isn't hyping this up as PSVR2's killer app over Call of the Mountain.
They talk about it, but they also know a to of people won't understand it. And being that it's something that literally works in a way that you never notice unless you are looking at the social screen, it makes it just better to focus on the games.

As for GT7, they need to do an update that allows you to choose a sitting position in the car. like, moving your seat forward or back or higher and lower. The only way to do that shouldn't have to be a hack as it is now.

Mr.Phoenix

The driver in GT7 has this tiny body and other games I feel too close to the floor like I'm sat down.
how tall are you irl?

You can also adjust camera height in the VR global settings. As far as presence in the VR space, that ultimately msty comes down to the devs.

Mr.Phoenix

How do I do that? The setup says it right

I'm 5'11
I'll mess around with it see what happens.
I don't think it has to do with your IPD. That would present as blurriness if that was wrong. I believe you have to adjust the height settings.

Reactions: TGO

Tunned

Regarding 3rd person in VR, I would love that, imagine GTA6, controlling your character in VR with a controller...
Does GT5 allow for chase cam in VR? Because Project Cars 2 does, and my mind was blown how awesome it is!! We need more games with 3rd person VR!!

Loxus

Regarding 3rd person in VR, I would love that, imagine GTA6, controlling your character in VR with a controller...
Does GT5 allow for chase cam in VR? Because Project Cars 2 does, and my mind was blown how awesome it is!! We need more games with 3rd person VR!!
Don't know about the VR chase cam feature in GTA.

But we definitely need some 3rd person VR games. Plus eye-tracking gameplay features will make it even better.

I think the driver size is one size fits all. Like how would they know how big the player is in real life? But that got me thinking; what if the games used your measurements like height? This could be set automatically while you setup room scale, or just enter it in the VR system settings.

Tunned

Don't know about the VR chase cam feature in GTA.

But we definitely need some 3rd person VR games. Plus eye-tracking gameplay features will make it even better.
Eye tracking in a 3rd person VR GTA game, or any similar game for that matter, can be used to aim when shooting, or for puzzles. There are so many possibilities.

I am 3rd person biased though, so that is something I would love to see in VR.

lukilladog

It might be the future for a group of hardcore players, but the masses don't care. Going by the often 0 to 1 viewers for Horizon Call of the Mountain at twitch, this must be the worst launch ever for a Sony gaming product and game franchise.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
in horizon, everyone is very small and I felt like a giant.
But environment is correct size

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
How do I do that? The setup says it right
I haven't done the IPD adjustment in PSVR2 yet, so not sure how it works there.
But what you describe is 100% a result of wrong IPD - the way we perceive 'scale/size' of things is a byproduct of interpupilar distance (That's also why world looks bigger when you're a little kid, among other things).
It could be a game-bug (if it's not correctly taking IPD from headset into the renderer) but I'd expect many people to report it in that case. Also given you report it across multiple games, it reinforces that it's incorrect HMS/system setting.

I don't think it has to do with your IPD. That would present as blurriness if that was wrong.
Nope, see here.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
in horizon, everyone is very small and I felt like a giant.
But environment is correct size
To expand on what I said above - the IPD effect on perception of scale works for things relatively close to you. Sufficiently distant objects will be relatively unaffected. So chances are you've observed the same as the other poster.

Another thing that 'can' affect your sense of scale is playing seated while your in-game avatar is standing, but the effect of that is IME more subtle (IPD effects are very obvious).

Ronin_7

Banned
Just played more GT7, DAMN crazy stuff here.

Horizon & Moss are my favorites though but little time right now to finish the games sadly. Hopefully this Weekend.

GT7VR revitalized my interest in GT completely. Was hooked on GT3 when I was in HS, but the series just hasn't grabbed me since. If it wasn't for RE8VR (which, as a hardcore Resi fan, is my favorite PSVR2 experience so far), I'd probably have been playing this nonstop.

Last edited:
If it looks that fuzzy to you, that means you're not hitting the sweet spot. :messenger_beaming: You might be getting close, but not completely. It's not as good as 4k for sure, but nowhere near "fuzzy." Could be something with IPD settings too, but something isn't right.
Ore...he realy needs a pair of glasses😉

sachos

You know that VR Replay mode in GT7? Now im imagining that for full competitive races or even other esports games too. VR spectator mode for Tekken 8 and SF6, i think it would work well for playing fighting games too.

Top Bottom