• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Gravity Rush 2 PS4 vs PS4 Pro

JP

Just gone up, will add details.

Gravity Rush 2 PS4 Pro/PS4: Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

A lot of shared info between the two versions.

PlayStation 4
  • Native 1080p.
  • Ever so slightly better shadows at certain distances, in comparison to PS4 Pro version.
  • Almost constant 30fps. Significant boost in stability over demo version.
  • As close to a locked 30fps as possible. Occasional frames dropped "in very select areas" due to combination of physics (objects) and alpha dust & smoke) transparencies. Happened once in five hours of gameplay. Sometimes better on PS4, other times better on PS4 Pro. Lots of stuff being thrown around so difficult to get like for like experience.
  • Good quality object based motion blur, does well to hide very occasional frame drops.
  • Beautiful game, looks really good in motion.
  • Better controls than the first game.
  • No noticeable performance or visual flaws.
  • Very impressed with what the team has accomplished with the game, both versions.

PlayStation 4 Pro
  • Native 2160p using geometry scaling. (See below for details. Geometry rendered at native 4K while artwork, effects, etc rendered at a lower resolution. Also clarified in this thread on page three.)
  • Supersampling on 1080p Panels.
  • Distant objects are easier to make out.
  • Almost constant 30fps. Significant boost in stability over demo version.
  • As close to a locked 30fps as possible. Occasional frames dropped "in very select areas" due to combination of physics (objects) and alpha dust & smoke) transparencies. Happened once in five hours of gameplay. Sometimes better on PS4, other times better on PS4 Pro. Loyts of stuff being thrown around so difficult to get like for like experience.
  • Good quality object based motion blur, does well to hide very occasional frame drops.
  • Beautiful game, looks really good in motion.
  • Better controls than the first game.
  • No noticeable performance or visual flaws.
  • Very impressed with what the team has accomplished with the game, both versions.

Was trying to find this article, it's another from Digital Foundry which has Mark Cerny talking about the process of Geometry Scaling and how it differs to Checkerboard Rendering.

Mark Cerny said:
Geometry rendering is a simpler form of ultra HD rendering that allows developers to create a 'pseudo-4K' image, in very basic terms. 1080p render targets are generated with depth values equivalent to a full 4K buffer, plus each pixel also has full ID buffer data - the end result is that via a post-process, a 1080p setup of these 'exotic' pixels can be extrapolated into a 4K image with support for alpha elements such as foliage and storm fences (albeit at an extra cost). On pixel-counting, it would resolve as native 4K image, with 'missing' data extrapolated out using colour propagation from data taken from the ID buffer. However, there is a profound limitation.

The pixel shader invocations don't change so texture resolution doesn't change and specular effects don't change. But it does improve image quality pretty dramatically.

Other stuff...

NeoGAF Threads

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Glad as hell for that Pro version. I'll take that sexy downsampled IQ any day of the week, thank you very much.

burgerdog

The demo was just 1080p on pro, right? So you're telling me it's going to look even better in the final code? God damn, son.

Orayn

To summarize:
-1080p30 on base, "4K"30 on Pro
-Pro seems to render geometry at native 4K and everything else at a lower res
-Nearly locked 30 FPS, base PS4 drops more often
-Slightly worse shadows on Pro in some cases

Edit: Beaten by OP

GavinUK86

To quote,

"Gravity Rush 2 is a solid effort which suffers no noticeable performance or visual flaws".

That's great to hear. Like he said in the video, this isn't a given nowadays.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That motion blur and physics simulation looks incredible.

Geometry rendering is an interesting technique. Seems like a good 4K solution for games that can't use checkerboard.

Tyaren

It's kinda sad that we now have to praise Pro games because they come without bigger flaws. The only real upgrade is the higher resolution. Downsampling is praised even though it should be standard. Shadows actually seem to be a bit more pixelated in some cases if I understood that right?

Peterthumpa

30FPS?
i thought the game will be 60FPS.

The remaster is 60 FPS, for obvious reasons.

This may sound strange but switching back and forth between the remaster and GR2 demo, I actually think that 30 FPS fits the game better, sounds cliché I know, but it feels more cinematic, especially when Kat is flying around with all the camera shake effects.

The remaster looks like a soap opera in this regard.

DXMGT

Banned
The remaster is 60 FPS, for obvious reasons.

This may sound strange but switching back and forth between the remaster and GR2 demo, I actually think that 30 FPS fits the game better, sounds cliché I know, but ir feels more cinematic, especially when Kat is flying around with all the camera shake effects.

The remaster looks like a soap opera.

This meme is still going?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Huh... I didn't realize this supported the Pro. Well, good. Can't wait to play this.

All games released after Pro need to have Pro upgrades in one form or another.

On topic: Another great upgrade for the Pro. I have not played the first game, will probably get that for cheap before committing to this. This game looks absolutely gorgeous though, can't deny that.

Jump from 1080p to near 4K is close ?

Yes? That's extremely close. No higher settings, no framerate improvements, no extra features, etc.

You just get a resolution bump. That's great, and how Pro patches should be. Whether you're a pro or PS4 owner you get a good looking and performing game.

You can really sense John giving it the big sell.

To paraphrase "The game is gorgeous and runs like a dream, go out and buy it god damn it!"

Can't blame him personally.

FHIZ

Really wish this game supported HDR. Already colorful as it is, would have been the cherry on the top.

Elios83

Interesting that they're using geometry scaling to get 4K on the Pro.
Can't wait to play it next week.
I'm sorry for the lack of HDR support though :/

Kaako

Felium Defensor
You can really sense John giving it the big sell.

To paraphrase "The game is gorgeous and runs like a dream, go out and buy it god damn it!"

Can't blame him personally.
Doing God's work cause we all damn know this game could use every single sale it gets. Don't sleep on this and Nioh, people.

Top Bottom