• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Half-Life 2 Ray Tracing Live Play: Mod Showcase on Source Engine

Bullet Club

Rise and ray trace, Mr Linneman. The DF team unite to test out a true PC classic in co-op, only this time with Pascal Gilcher's ray tracing mod enabled. John, Rich and Alex enter the fray with a multitude of GPUs too; an RTX 2080 Ti, AMD Radeon VII, and GTX 1060 - showing just how much it takes to make this a reality.

Aintitcool

Banned
These co-op raytracing videos are the worst way to discuss raytracing on video. A 1 hour long video made live about graphical features toggling things on the fly. Just doesn't give credits to the graphics especially with the split screen.

It should be analytical videos that take the time to browse through benefits and cons. Explains this isn't a fully implemented Raytracing system but a overlay global illumination done by ray tracing.

If HL2 had no light maps and the game was rendering a full lighting of the game like modern raytracing it would look amazing. Realtime light bouncing and shadowing would make the game look great.

stranno

These co-op raytracing videos are the worst way to discuss raytracing on video. A 1 hour long video made live about graphical features toggling things on the fly. Just doesn't give credits to the graphics especially with the split screen.
qs4qx54.png

Last edited:

Shifty

Watched for a while and the tech is quite impressive to see (if a tad limited) but I'm gonna have to echo Aintitcool Aintitcool - the co-op run through format of having to physically move three dudes though the game feels slow and clunky compared to the precise and highly produced nature of DF's usual analytical content.

I feel like it could have been compressed down quite significantly time-wise.

Dontero

Banned
80% gpu use on 2080ti for half life 2. Barely any difference lighting wise and atrocious shadows. yeah...

But co-op mod looks great.

I don't see the point of what they're doing, it's doesn't change crap in any significant way. The Nvidia Quake II demo was more interesting.

Leonidas

Looks great, but I wish there was an official patch for ray-tracing support, I'd (and I'm sure many others would too) definitely go back and play these old games if they did that...

Last edited:

Shifty

80% gpu use on 2080ti for half life 2. Barely any difference lighting wise and atrocious shadows. yeah...
I don't get ray tracing. Like, so what? For how power hungry it is, I would rather have better physics....
Every technology has to start somewhere. I don't think DF are arguing for this as the go-to way to play these games right now so much as showing off something cool that's still developing.

Every technology has to start somewhere. I don't think DF are arguing for this as the go-to way to play these games right now so much as showing off something cool that's still developing.

Sorry if I sounded dismissive. Like, I can see the benefits, but from what I hear about the resources required, I would rather they put the effort into Physics where there would be more bang for the buck, if you get me?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wish someone made a VR mod already. Guess the mod community isn't what it used to be, I remember how fast they were to try experiments with implement (proper, not just bindings) Wiimote gameplay and such for couch play.

Lambda1VR looks really well made (Half-Life 1, not 2) but it's only for Quest because it's using an Android source port of its engine with different capabilities rather than just mod the original itself. People are working on PC VR mods but we'll see...

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
Wish someone made a VR mod already. Guess the mod community isn't what it used to be, I remember how fast they were to try experiments with implement (proper, not just bindings) Wiimote gameplay and such for couch play.

Half life 2 is playable in VR from basically the moment when vive was released.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Half life 2 is playable in VR from basically the moment when vive was released.
True, there was that, I forgot about it because as far as I can tell it's impossible to play at this time in current VR kits in that form. GMOD VR works to manually load up Half-Life 2 maps but the game is half broken in that manner.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
What people are missing is that light mapping is a great tech but very memory limited. Light mapping is already using rays to cast its shadows, but because those rays are stored as textures, the resolution is extremely low. Even then they take up a LOT of me memory.

So, when you apply ray tracing to an older lightmapped game, people jump up and say “looks like shit/no different”.

What you’re forgetting so that light mapping is baked, it’s not something you change the fly. But ray tracing is giving the same effect in real time. So you can get light bounce etc all in real time, and with a small memory footprint. It’s also rendered at whatever resolution you can manage, and of course, can be dynamic.

People say it looks odd because of “light bounce”. They are used to hard lighting with hard shadows and surfaces being dark if not hot by a light source at all on its first bounce. As games tech progresses over he next few years, expect to see less and less “dark areas” unless the artist specifies them. Dark patches are just not very common in real life.

Give the tech time to mature. No tech was great first time around. Do you not remember env mapping and bloom?

Top Bottom