• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with DriveClub VR

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Sounds fantastic

Then we look out across the track - yes, the fidelity of the PSVR headset is certainly a step down from the Rift or Vive, but it quickly shoots to the back of your mind once you hit the accelerator. The weight of the car and the way this is communicated within the game gives it a feeling that genuinely took me by surprise. It feels supremely natural and really gives the impression that you're sitting in a car. I've spent a lot of time with some of the best PC VR racers and the virtual cockpit always felt 'off', a driving 'uncanny valley' of sorts, in a way that DriveClub does not.

Ultimately, DriveClub VR demonstrates how effective virtual reality can be - even using less capable hardware. Smart software design and well executed technical artistry can definitely overcome these limitations, resulting in an experience that feels every bit as potent as the more powerful PC VR solutions. The devil is in the details and these details help make for an incredibly enjoyable experience. DriveClub VR is the real deal - virtual racing at its finest. We'll have more details on the game once it releases this fall alongside PlayStation VR.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-driveclub-vr

Er... Has this been posted before. I did a search?

Really liking everything I'm hearing regarding DC VR. The only questions I have left are Neo related. Hopefully they'll get answered September 7th.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's articles like this that cement my decision to forgo getting a Oculus CV1 and stick with my PSVR pre-order. Have the correct scale etc... so that you really do feel you are sitting in a car.

In other words. VR done right.

They really gush about it. DriveClub OG was great, so I'd be really up for trying this out.

I'm more interested in VR now than I was a few months ago, but the price barrier is still too high. There's also zero chance of me ever playing a horror game completely closed off from the outside world, unless I want a heart attack/to shit my pants on a regular occasion. P.T. with a headset would've done irreparable damage to my mental health.

//DEVIL//

Man fuck sony for letting evolustion go. I will keep supporting this gams and i hope it sell very well in VR too so Sony can eat their hats for not being able to produce a sequel ..

wapplew

[Agent]ZeroNine;214431000 said:
Really liking everything I'm hearing regarding DC VR. The only questions I have left are Neo related. Hopefully they'll get answered September 7th.

Me too, need to know can they bring back dynamic weather and cloud on Neo, or that will break parity rule.
Because night racing, heavy rain in VR will be a horror game.

Would like to hear more about their experience with other racers on vive/oculus to make a better comparison.

I guess it's probably more to do with the fact that DC vr exists only for and because of psvr whereas pc racers existed long before vive/oculus released.

Im sure that difference will diminish over time.

cgcg

Would like to hear more about their experience with other racers on vive/oculus to make a better comparison.

I guess it's probably more to do with the fact that DC vr exists only for and because of psvr whereas pc racers existed long before vive/oculus released.

Im sure that difference will diminish over time.

They did, not in depth but still

"Simply put - this is the most immersive racing game we've played in VR to date. From Assetto Corsa to Dirt Rally all the way to Project Cars, it's clear that the gorgeous visual design of the original DriveClub allows the game to stand above its more technically demanding peers. "

They did, not in depth but still

"Simply put - this is the most immersive racing game we've played in VR to date. From Assetto Corsa to Dirt Rally all the way to Project Cars, it's clear that the gorgeous visual design of the original DriveClub allows the game to stand above its more technically demanding peers. "

That's a pretty strong statement for PS vr.

I've been seriously mulling over getting a new PC and vive for a while now to the post of around £1500, but ifnPS vr is the real deal..,.

Oppo

This is one of the instances where I laugh at people saying that you NEED powerful PC to do PROPER VR

yeah they're gonna show up soon.

think PSVR is a nice in between for cockpit/seated experiences. you don't need room scale for a great VR experience. it's nice, but not needed in every case.

Noobcraft

It makes sense, though, right? I mean, they've doubled the frame-rate on a standard PS4. Sacrifices had to be made.
Trackside detail certainly takes a hit in the form of more aggressive LOD popping where flat billboard trees are converted to full 3D models in closer proximity to the player.
Just curious, the trees are still more or less 2D right? 3D trunk and large branches with 2D sprites that follow the camera like before or did they rework them for VR?

I'm surprised how well they kept the visual identity of the game while doubling the framerate, even if some of the more impressive visual touches were cut.

Not really much of an article focusing on the game, but what I want to know is how does it feel if you have a high-speed crash, spin-out and leave a tunnel with the usual blinding-effet.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Not really much of an article focusing on the game, but what I want to know is how does it feel if you have a high-speed crash, spin-out and leave a tunnel with the usual blinding-effet.
You feel it in your stomach. It's not vomit inducing, but it definitely hits you.

I thought it was handled well enough that I didn't walk away feeling sick, though.

You feel it in your stomach. It's not vomit inducing, but it definitely hits you.

I thought it was handled well enough that I didn't walk away feeling sick, though.

Interesting and for the best I suppose. Is there any assists on the demo? This guy on Access video and the PIP footage seems extremely pedestrian.

He makes a good point about raising his arm and it freaking him out as the onscreen arm doesn't move. The same thing had me with Gear VR.

cyberheater

No weather and only 8 cars on track wtf?

Yes because they can convert a graphically intensive game that runs on PS4 at 30fps to magically run at 60fps with all features intact.

Some people...

Wollan

Hopefully there's an option for removing the avatar arms. If there's a mismatch it is usually better not to display them.

Hopefully there's an option for removing the avatar arms. If there's a mismatch it is usually better not to display them.

There are no arms. They have been removed due to possible clipping issues. The hands are gloved so not to cause a disconnect for differing genders and skin colors.

This is one of the instances where I laugh at people saying that you NEED powerful PC to do PROPER VR
Nah you don't have to have something really powerful, even the Mega Drive/Genesis had some VR glasses in the making, but if you want your full bells and whistles of graphical effects on ordinary modern games (not games downgraded or built only for VR), plus 1080@60fps, well then you need to go the expensive PC route.

Ranger X

According the video though, there seem to be quite enormous lag between the guy's head movement and the cam in-game. Color me not excited.

N30RYU

According the video though, there seem to be quite enormous lag between the guy's head movement and the cam in-game. Color me not excited.
I slowed the video on youtube down to 0.25 and there seems to be lag, but obviously the guy playing doesn't feel any lag at all or would be unplayable.

So looks more like a video editing problem, or just there's this lag transforming the VR video to the TV video signal.

edit**
looks like a video editing problem. the more you advance the video the biggest the lag, you can see it not only in the head movement but in the hands on the wheel

Could just be the way it's recorded and spliced together but yeah, this is why I asked if there were assists further up because the gameplay is quite conservative.

gossi

It becomes desynchronised between the outside feed and PSVR headset. In other words, it doesn't do that in PSVR.

Crumpo

Keep the core look, the handing and that sense of speed and I am in. I would kill for a bigger slice of DC in VR, if we could get it.

To be honest, if this turns out to be PSVR's killer app (as DC was PS4's technical showcase) then potentially this could turn out to be how DC lives on...

This is what they should get into demo stations as soon as they can-from the accounts we've seen it will sell these units like hot cakes.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That is inaccurate. It's an issue with the way the video was produced.

The amount of latency when using PSVR is, for all intents an purposes, identical the Oculus Rift or Vive. It feels perfect without any hint of a delay.

Jacobi

Banned

BREAKING NEWS: Ranger X's analysis put PSVR in deep crisis

but seriously, maybe you try it first before you write something like that?
The outside feed IS laggy, because that doesn't matter

DieH@rd

Banned

lol

What you are seeing is a Social Screen on HDTV, which is a feed that is created by the PU box by taking image from one eye and re-forming it so that it can be seen on 16:9 monitor. That processing introduces a bit of lag [also in the vid, their video feeds got desynced which is mistake on THEIR editing].

User inside the headset sees ultra fast direct feed low lag video.

Top Bottom