• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry has heard from their sources that PS5 will cost $500 + and may be all the way up to $700, same applies for Series X

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'll hold off on the Xbox Series X, since I intend to buy a high-end Nvidia Ampere graphics card this holiday season. However, I'm not holding off on the PlayStation 5, even if it costs $700.

PS5 won't get higher than 500$ and I'm willing to bet on that also 100$ difference just for a disk drive? wut?

Xbox must be cheaper at this point if it wants to be relevant for the next generation.

Hunnybun

Didn't Bloomberg leak the PS5 BOM as $450? Has that been totally debunked or something? Cos if not how the hell do you get to a $600 price point, let alone $700?!

It just doesn't add up. They design these things with a price in mind, not the other way round. Even $500 would be more of an increase than Sony would really want to make, I'd have thought, after the huge success they had at $400.

The most plausible explanation for the delay in announcement is just that they're scared they'll be undercut by their rival. I imagine they're both targeting $500 but are nervous that the other will do something dramatic like come in at $400, and want to be able to respond by going second. So you get this interminable game of chicken.

martino

The Bloomberg and the other estimators on price used the die costs from earlier RDNA and are just guesses.

RDNA2 on TSMC is using EUV on SOME critical layers, very expensive lithography and DUV on rest. It is more expensive than estimates. Die size for RDNA2 is very expensive component as are RAM prices,

Hence I expect ps5 500 minimum, XSX 550 minimum as it has a LIKELY bigger die nut we dont know by how much (same RAM amounts).

Lockart at 350 or 399 IMO. Its an expensive gen IMO

are those estimates who were pre road to ps5 taking into account space for i/o + memory for it on the apu ?
i don't know how space for this can be something else than wet finger guesses for now

geordiemp

Didn't Bloomberg leak the PS5 BOM as $450? Has that been totally debunked or something? Cos if not how the hell do you get to a $600 price point, let alone $700?!

It just doesn't add up. They design these things with a price in mind, not the other way round. Even $500 would be more of an increase than Sony would really want to make, I'd have thought, after the huge success they had at $400.

The most plausible explanation for the delay in announcement is just that they're scared they'll be undercut by their rival. I imagine they're both targeting $500 but are nervous that the other will do something dramatic like come in at $400, and want to be able to respond by going second. So you get this interminable game of chicken.

How would a journalist know all Sony and MS costs ? Really ?

Its an estimate, and thall estimates dont account for the massive cost increase for RDNA2 at TSMC.

Hell Nvidia have moved some production to Samsung, there is a hint.

thelastword

Banned
I personally don't mind paying $600 for this PlayStation, but is this really a legit leak or source or is this just trying to get negative discussion away from MS by introducing "both of these consoles will be expensive dawg"....discuss that instead..

I think the PS5 especially, people should be ready to pay a little more, it's the more expensive console, but knowing Sony, their prowess in the hardware industry will eat off some of that costing, so gamers will be good in the end. Whatever price MS gives Sony may be able to match it and undercut it because they will likely go for the kill at launch, just as they did in 2013......

It's why I think, Sony has no reason to announce price before MS.....Let MS announce their price, keep showing games running on PS5 and when MS announces, they could come in and announce theirs "We now bring you the PS5 at only......" price match MS or lower.

MS is not in a position to give hardware away, they've been touting 12TF, the most powerful console for so long. There's a reason they have two consoles coming, one lower tiered and one higher tiered, the Series X will be more expensive than usual. I don't see the Series S coming in below $299, so 299 is where I see it, the Series X may be double that price....Depends on what Sony does, MS maybe forced to sell it for $500, but we shall see what they do....

But there is no reason for Sony to announce price, they have that leverage over MS, they could go way into September before they need to......Concentrate your next show on more games running on PS5 with hardware raytracing instead....

Hunnybun

It's not comparable. A phone has more utility and socially carries some degree of fashion and status (even if misplaced).

A home console is a toy.

Yes, but a phone costing $1k doesn't have significantly more utility than a $200 phone, so that doesn't work.

It's the fashion aspect that's important. I think for consoles, the price has to be at least partly set by convention - it's settled in people's minds now that they should cost about that much, and it's too risky for any one company to try to challenge that. Because logically there's no good reason we shouldn't be willing to pay $1k or so for something that lasts so long.

That, and they're still seen as something parents buy for children, so I guess that plays a major role.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
lol and some people thought this would be $400 hahahahahaha.

why do you think Sony has been hyping up the SSD and with a few months left we still don't know the price? they are hoping that by hyping it up when you hear the price that you'll think "but Sony told me it's super fast and will be a game changer! it's worth it!!" and then boom that's you fell for it and they got your money.

it's the same for Microsoft. the SSD might be slower but it's still an SSD and of course the XSX is more powerful so that's not gonna be cheap either. Neither Sony or Microsoft want to reveal the price first because whoever comes out and says "our console is $500-700" will be the bad guy and the other can just come in and undercut the other.

i think MS/Sony won't be announcing the price until it's time for preorders to start. They will both leave it to the last minute possible. Whoever goes first will be at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Yeah but as I explained earlier: Utility doesn't make sense in this equation. I can get 90%+ of the utility of a $1000 phone on a sub-$200 phone. The rest of the price captures status and the feeling of luxury. Also this is a phone you'll replace one or two times for the next 5-7 years.

I don't think you can get the same level of brand status like Apple but you can sell something unique to PS. The Playstation "culture" and first party offerings.

But there is the problem and why comparing a console to a phone isn't comparable. In order to make your argument you're not comparing the utility of a console to the utility of a phone, you're comparing a phone to a phone.

I agree about the diminishing returns on price points for phones, you're right about that. But is a value context of phone versus home console there's a vast gulf in utility, social value and fashion status which prohibits what is essentially a toy from commanding equivalent spending.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
My prediction:

PS5 Digital w/825GB - $499
PS5 Physical w/825GB - $549
PS5 Digital w/1.6TB - $599
PS5 Physical w/1.6TB - $649

Xbox Series S w/500GB - $299
Xbox Series S w/1TB - $349
Xbox Series X Digital w/1TB - $449
Xbox Series X w/1TB - $499
Xbox Series X Digital w/2TB - $549
Xbox Series X w/2TB- $599

Last edited:

Liamario

Banned
€499 is my limit. Not because I can't afford to pay more, only because anything more wouldn't sit right with me. I'll upgrade the PC before paying more than that.

THE:MILKMAN

Well I'm sure a $450 BOM can be a easily guessed ballpark figure to give so anyone could say it and not be far off and quite frankly the reporter here has been called out by other reporters before when he worked for WSJ so doesn't have a great rep. The other stuff he said like 'typically $1 is spent on cooling' and the graph he posted that showed RAM and SSD alone taking up $250 of the BOM don't require further comment.

As for DF's/John's possible $600 or even more comments I'm baffled. In no world will either console approach that if they are sane. Never mind with adding a pandemic in the mix with over 200k jobs already gone in the UK with far more to come. Good luck pitching a £550 console to the masses!

For me even the overwhelmingly accepted $499 price bracket might prove too much in Europe/UK if it likely means coming in above any previous console pricing (always short lived BTW for obvious reasons).

BluRayHiDef

Banned
lol and some people thought this would be $400 hahahahahaha.

why do you think Sony has been hyping up the SSD and with a few months left we still don't know the price? they are hoping that by hyping it up when you hear the price that you'll think "but Sony told me it's super fast and will be a game changer! it's worth it!!" and then boom that's you fell for it and they got your money.

it's the same for Microsoft. the SSD might be slower but it's still an SSD and of course the XSX is more powerful so that's not gonna be cheap either. Neither Sony or Microsoft want to reveal the price first because whoever comes out and says "our console is $500-700" will be the bad guy and the other can just come in and undercut the other.

i think MS/Sony won't be announcing the price until it's time for preorders to start. They will both leave it to the last minute possible. Whoever goes first will be at a disadvantage.

So, who do you think will reveal the price of their box first?

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Yes, but a phone costing $1k doesn't have significantly more utility than a $200 phone, so that doesn't work.

I agree regarding diminishing returns on scaling phone prices.

It's the fashion aspect that's important. I think for consoles, the price has to be at least partly set by convention - it's settled in people's minds now that they should cost about that much, and it's too risky for any one company to try to challenge that. Because logically there's no good reason we shouldn't be willing to pay $1k or so for something that lasts so long.

Yes. A mobile phone carries social status. They have since the 80's when execs used to lug around the brick sized ones that came attached to a briefcase of batteries and electronics. In addition to having actual day-to-day functionality that is considered a neccesity by many and can be passed off as having work based justification, phones have fashion and social value that can be carried around and put on display. You can't do that with a console.

Because logically there's no good reason we shouldn't be willing to pay $1k or so for something that lasts so long.

There is. It's spending $1000 on a toy.

As an expense it's nowhere near as justifiable as a phone and doesn't have even a fraction of the functionality.

A grand is a huge amount of money for most people and once you're in that price bracket you're competing with a LOT of other options both luxury and essential that make the purchase every harder to justify.

Last edited:
By the time either box has worthwhile software none of us will pay launch-prices anymore anyways.
The early adopters are always paying a premium for less.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
tenor.gif

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Are they testing the waters? I cannot imagine them going with price higher than $549 for PS5.

Yeah, but oh wait you can use physical on a console. And sell the game later on. Or exchange it. Or share it with someone. Or buy used. Or... oh wait, I think you get the idea...
Not much point selling your physical copy if first party titles go as low as 5 dollar on PSN

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Raising the prices is not a good idea in the current economic situation. There are more people who are unemployed or struggling to survive the month than before the pandemic, especially in the US. A more likely scenarioi imo would be for Microsoft and Sony to cheap out on some parts to keep the price below the 500€ threshold.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I can quite easily see these both being in excess of $500 to be honest. Certainly no cheaper. They're both clearly expensive machines to manufacture, and that cost is going to be passed onto us. That's why we're getting a DE version of Ps5 and the Series S, to mitigate those high costs.

I can see a situation where either company (especially Microsoft) offers some kind of payment installment plan like you get for mobile phones. Probably linked to GamePass.

These things are going to be expensive. I've always thought it, and the fact neither have revealed the price yet only strengthens that belief.

There's going to be a lot of unhappiness around here when the prices do get revealed.

Minimum $499 for the top consoles - but I won't be shocked if it's more like $599.

The Shepard

My guess is

£375-£400 ps4 digital
£425-£450 physical

£299-£325 xbox series s
£425-450 series x

Sony will want a console near that £350 that worked so well with ps4/Pro and its why the digital version exists in the first place. It'll sell at a loss but gain the money back through digital purchases.

Microsoft will want the cheapest console to try and grab as many casuals as it can to boost numbers and get them on gamepass. They'll want that series x price point very close to sonys physical console even if it takes a loss.

Ellery

It would be funny in a way if Playstation went so overboard with third party timed exclusives that they have to price the console insanely high, but honestly they make so much money from PS+, digital games, digital fees, microtransactions, fees, digital fees from digital purchases, fees from physical games, fees, mtx digital fees, PS+. When you visit PSN you can basically feel Sony's Hand reaching into your wallet.

For me it wouldn't make sense that the 10 million units in 2020 and having a super high price. Who is going to buy all these consoles? The 6 people on Neogaf that screamed they want a 20TF console and are ready to pay 2000$ for it?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They need to show a lot more impressive stuff if they want that.
As for XSX they really need to show more impressive stuff :pie_roffles:
Also a DF video over a delay?

Last edited:

chilichote

Timestamped where they mention that. DF has said the reason why either of them haven't shared the price details is because perhaps they are scared to break the bad news that next gen is going to be much more expensive than any of the previous generations. Thoughts?

I don't think Sony or MS will cross the 500 mark, they both offer far too little in terms of the launch lineup to warrant such a price.

And Microsoft basically has nothing left that would justify such a high price.

So no, I don't think so. I think 499€/$ for both and 449€/$ for the PS5 Digital. But I'll be surprised ^^

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I agree regarding diminishing returns on scaling phone prices.

Yes. A mobile phone carries social status. They have since the 80's when execs used to lug around the brick sized ones that came attached to a briefcase of batteries and electronics. In addition to having actual day-to-day functionality that is considered a neccesity by many and can be passed off as having work based justification, phones have fashion and social value that can be carried around and put on display. You can't do that with a console.

There is. It's spending $1000 on a toy.

As an expense it's nowhere near as justifiable as a phone and doesn't have even a fraction of the functionality.

A grand is a huge amount of money for most people and once you're in that price bracket you're competing with a LOT of other options both luxury and essential that make the purchase every harder to justify.

You're just trying to dismiss the value of a console by branding it as a 'toy'. You could come up with some pejorative to undermine the value of virtually anything: it's not a proper argument. An expensive car is a 'toy', a nice watch is a bit of 'bling' etc.

You seem to concede the point on an expensive phone's lack of functionality, and then just repeat the same argument.

A good $800 of a $1k phone represents no functionality, so you can't justify that price based on how much utility it provides. Stop trying.

I'm not saying a console is definitely worth $1000 to people, but it's at least possible. That works out at about $150 a year, or $12 or so a month. About the same as Netflix.

Now, there may be many reasons people would baulk at paying $1000 for a console, but on the face of it, them not rivalling Netflix for entertainment value isn't really that plausible.

SoraNoKuni

Hope that's not true cause I won't even bother getting the console and just upgrade my PC until a price drop.

I love Sony but if that pricing is real, it's just a big no.
I can probably get the upcoming big navi for that price, which will be probably twice the TFLOPS.

ED: See above ^

Doubt it. If the console goes up to 699€, many semi-hardcore gamers will decide to spend that money in Ampere/Big Navi instead and wait for a PS5 price cut. Going higher than 499€ in a GPU release year would be a bad move.

Last edited:

Rudius

It's not comparable. A phone has more utility and socially carries some degree of fashion and status (even if misplaced).

A home console is a toy.
The expensive phone is something you buy to show to your frienemies, in the hope of feeling a little less awful by making them envious. A console is something you buy for yourself, for your enjoyment, and no one needs to know about it.

MastaKiiLA

I'm not $600 into video gaming, because I'm expecting the usual import markup here in Thailand. So I was hoping for $500, which would then translate into $600 local. If it's more than that, I think I'll just buy the Bell Bullitt helmet that I've wanted for a year now, but didn't really need. The strap on my flip-up broke recently, so it wouldn't be a bad time to jump on that this holiday, as a little Xmas gift for myself.

That's still cheap in my book, but I think nothing will pass $500 mark, especially that they're aiming for 10 million consoles in the first year suggests even $450-400 for the base PS5, which might shock many.
If what they're promising techwise is inside these consoles, I don't see how they can charge less than 599. And frankly, even that is a stretch. The alternative is they've exaggerated and they'll be cheaper.

Still, it's pretty fishy that they're still refusing to release the prices.

Wow. That is a lot of money for a console. Would this change any decisions for some?
It would for me because there is nothing coming out for PS5 at or near launch justifying that price. You gotta have games to play in these machines, remember? It’s not some modern art installation.

GamerEDM

Banned
This would explain the stupid game of chicken both are playing. They both want to charge us as much as possible but dont want to be undercut by the competitor

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If what they're promising techwise is inside these consoles, I don't see how they can charge less than 599. And frankly, even that is a stretch. The alternative is they've exaggerated and they'll be cheaper.

Still, it's pretty fishy that they're still refusing to release the prices.

Sony's plan is to crush Xbox division, all the crazy moneyhatting suggests that, and the inclusive of a preinstalled/free platformer game in every PS5, much better sound and controller, bigger and readier lineup, all suggests they wanna strike as hard as possible and drive xbox out of business.

So they're waiting for xbox pricing as they've been the most talkative, PS4/Pro is still selling at around $400-500 mark worldwide to date, so why would they rush it? Xbox One is completely empty handed on the other side, same goes to XSX, so this is the biggest chance for Sony to crush them and end their misery.

Top Bottom