• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry has heard from their sources that PS5 will cost $500 + and may be all the way up to $700, same applies for Series X

martino

I think we all have to realize that it's 3 PC fanboys talking and they are basically trying to justify the overblown price of high end PC's that hit this type of performance....

They simply couldn't take it if PS5 was 400 or less than 500, it's like an affront to them and now that their favorite console is at a disadvantage at launch, might as well spread some fud to try and torpedo the entire next gen launch.

that ad personam use a new angle.
This df direct made your brand persecution complex skyrock.

Madjako

Just to let you know : a French magazine (canard pc) tried to make a next gen console with pc components and they ended at 1700€ for the Xbox SX and 1950 for the PS5!!!

THE:MILKMAN

Sony lost over 200$ on each console (PS3 BOM was somewhere around 800$) and still PS3 wasnt better product compared to much cheaper X360. Many multiplatform games run at lower resolution on PS3 and there also werent many good exclusives during the first year.

Nah...Sony lost ~$100 on the US/Japan launch consoles and then made all/most of that back by using the EU pricing to subsidise it for 6 months.

It was probably the constant HW revisions and Cell/RSX node redesigns that cost them all the money.

I agree the 360 was a pure and simple console at a great price in the UK for the premium (£280).

Drewpee

Banned

Timestamped where they mention that. DF has said the reason why either of them haven't shared the price details is because perhaps they are scared to break the bad news that next gen is going to be much more expensive than any of the previous generations. Thoughts?

I just mentioned this as a hypothetical in the thread about Sony third party exclusivity. It would be monumentally shitty of them to lock down so much exclusive third party content on an overpriced machine.

Last edited:

Kerotan

No chance. €600 the absolute max they'd dare charge but Imo €500 is what they'll do. €400 would be a bombshell.

martino

There is no 'brand persecution complex' PlayStation is the biggest gaming brand and always will be...
4bbzig.jpg

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
The PS3 costed something like $700 to manufacture and Sony took colossal losses on the first couple million of units. PS4 either broke even or made them a tiny profit. Forgot exactly.

They're not going back to the days of selling a console at $100 loss per unit. The PS5 would have to cost $400 to manufacture for your prediction to make sense and it's obviously significantly more than that.

$499 for the regular model
$449 for the digital version

Perhaps $50 more but not lower than that. $399 is out of the question with the components the console has. It features a GPU that isn't even out in the PC space yet whereas the PS4's GPU was almost 2 years old by the time the console came out.
Nowadays, unlike in the past, they can actually afford to that thanks to the PSN money printer going brrrr.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Selling the PlayStation 5 for $600 to $700 dollars could be a brilliant marketing strategy for Sony Bank. Sony could offer buyers of the PlayStation 5 checking accounts that would be free for one year and require a minimum balance that's equal to 150% of the PlayStation 5's price; in exchange Sony could sell the PlayStation 5 to buyers for only half of the PlayStation's official price (with the requirement that the transaction be conducted via the account opened with Sony Bank).

pawel86ck

Banned
Nah...Sony lost ~$100 on the US/Japan launch consoles and then made all/most of that back by using the EU pricing to subsidise it for 6 months.

It was probably the constant HW revisions and Cell/RSX node redesigns that cost them all the money.

I agree the 360 was a pure and simple console at a great price in the UK for the premium (£280).
I've rechecked PS3 BOM cost and it was $665 although initial report indeed suggested over $800.

In our initial analysis we performed the week of the initial release in Japan, we had torn down the PS3 and had identified and analyzed in detail all of the major components one by one to derive a total manufactured hardware cost of approximately $840 for the 60GB version

Last edited:

GermanZepp

A PS5 costs roughly $450 to manufacture. I'm not sure if this is with the controller. If it isn't then the $500+ makes sense.

Also I find it really funny how people are willing to spend $700+ on a phone every 2-3 years but nothing more for than $500 for a console that they'll change in 5-7 years.

Agreed with you. You are going to listen a lot of 'but but... it's not comparable phones are very useful". 500 are 500 wherever you spend on it. It takes the same amount of hours of your work. If people are more willing to spend it more likely on a phone than a console is another topic.

Fuz

Banned
I expected as much, maybe even more, considering the tech they're using and how reluctant they are to release the price to the public before the competition.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
You're going round in circles again.

You can't claim that there's a limit on a console's value beacsue it's not practical compared to a phone when it's obvious that a phone's practical value is only a fraction of the price charged. It's either one or the other.

You accept that phones (or cars or whatever) are expensive for essentially trivial reasons like brand strength and fashion appeal, which is effectively the same as conceding that a product's value is subjective and therefore won't be limited by its fundamental usefulness.

Isn't a 2080ti a 'toy', too? And yet it's way more expensive than any console, or even any phone.

It's just not a sound argument.

I'm only having to repeat the same thing because you are continually using the disingenuous comparison of a cheap phone to an expensive phone rather than a console to a phone. You're demonstrating that they're not comparable by avoiding the comparison of the price and utility of a console to that of a phone because a console's price and utility is simply incomparable to that of a phone.

Comparing premium priced products to cheaper equivalents of the same product is disingenous when you're trying to justify the price of a totally different product. All products have overpriced luxury equivalents, that doesn't mean that the price of an unrelated product can be justified based upon the existence of an overpriced version of a totally different product. You're making an absurd reach and failing to correlate it to your claim that a console can justify such a high price.

Yes other products can pull higher prices owing to the status and fashion value they offer, that's part of their value proposition and it's something a home console cannot add. Therefore a home console loses that value proposition when trying to justify such a high price when asking a consumer to choose how they're going to spend that big chunk of cash. A phone has the benefit of greater utility, practical application, fashion and status and the base purchase can be justified on grounds of it being essential or needed for work. A home console doesn't have that - at any price range it's a non-essential luxury purchase that in terms of utility is just a toy. It's a fun toy and it can provide a lot of entertainment, but that's all it is and it's value and potential price point is therefore limited by that.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
People don't count for inflation? 600 dollars in 2006 is +780 dollars today. 400 in 2006 is 520 today, think about it.
The reason people do not account for inflation when looking at console numbers is because consumers will not account for inflation when buying the consoles. It does not matter what price the market would bear back then. It only matters what the market will bear today. My guess in the current climate is it will not support a $600 console. $550/PS5 $500/All Digital might be as high as it can go. Even at that, kind of high.

splattered

Playstation 5 - $599

Xbox Series X - $499

Would that even make a difference?

Sony has a 115 some odd million user base, i seriously double people are going to jump ship to the other camp just because they have to dish out an extra $100 for the next playstation.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'm telling you guys, Sony can pull off $600 to $700 by offering discounts in exchange for becoming a member of Sony Bank. This is the way.

PlayStation 5 @ $600

PlayStation 5 Digital @ $550

PlayStation 5 with Sony Bank Membership @ $300

PlayStation 5 Digital with Sony Bank Membership @ $275

They'd sell like hotcakes and Sony Bank's profit margins would rise.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Could easily see in USD $599 and $499 respectively. Were getting much better hardware this time.

Zen 2, 10.28 TF, SSD with custom IO.

Id go with DE first because of price point. Im also chomping at the bit to see what they do with that. Im playing 👻 of T right now and its gorgeous.

You can always lower price but you can never raise them.

Dabaus

Banned
Sounds like digital foundry is doing MS's dirty work. Its not lost on me that the xbox fanboy talking points have now all settled around "600.00" ps5 sometime last evening. Pretty convenient the hive mind that is xbox fandom all have the same talking point now no? Remember when they were so certain that ps5 would be 9.2 instead f 10.3? Some STILL cant let that go! Do you really think Sony would DOUBLE production from 5 to 10 million in one year if they were selling a six hundred dollar product?A 399 digital PS5 might be too much for some of these guys to handle. We'll see!

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

The reason people do not account for inflation when looking at console numbers is because consumers will not account for inflation when buying the consoles. It does not matter what price the market would bear back then. It only matters what the market will bear today. My guess in the current climate is it will not support a $600 console. $550/PS5 $500/All Digital might be as high as it can go. Even at that, kind of high.

They really should test it because it's just speculation at this point that people don't account for inflation, I know my food isn't as cheap as it was 14 years ago, my phone definitely isn't and that goes for a lot of things. I don't see any reason to expect consoles to become cheaper - 600 bucks is actually way cheaper then the 600 bucks a system was priced in 2006.

Last edited:
See above link from pawel. $300 loss is simply not true.
That does change things somewhat. However the multiple billions of dollars Sony dumped alongside IBM on developing the Cell microarchitecture - which was intended to be Kutaragi's vision for the future of computing, did a huge number on Sony. Not to mention the additional R&D expenditure they put in to create Blu-ray.

Even if we take the bill of materials out of the equation, the PS3 was a huge money sink for Sony. And a $65 loss is still pretty big - particularly when they had to slash prices to sub $500 far faster than they would have liked.

Generally a clusterfuck of a project.

If Sony sell the PS5 at $600, it would probably be at a marginal profit. Which means even if it sells just about as well as the PS3 (~90 million units), it will have made them money - a huge amount of money if they keep prices as close to MSRP years down the line, as they did with the PS4.

The Shepard

Playstation 5 - $599

Xbox Series X - $499

Would that even make a difference?

Sony has a 115 some odd million user base, i seriously double people are going to jump ship to the other camp just because they have to dish out an extra $100 for the next playstation.

It did last gen, the ps3 was not in a good place and had to slash a large amount off the price within a year, that's when I brought one and that's after Sony having the biggest console ever, the PS2. People will jump ship if the price is right.

PS3 launch price £425
Xbox 360 £280

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
IF these consoles are really going to be super expensive, I don't see how withholding that information until the last minute helps. People need time to come to grips.

That does change things somewhat. However the multiple billions of dollars Sony dumped alongside IBM on developing the Cell microarchitecture - which was intended to be Kutaragi's vision for the future of computing, did a huge number on Sony. Not to mention the additional R&D expenditure they put in to create Blu-ray.

Even if we take the bill of materials out of the equation, the PS3 was a huge money sink for Sony. And a $65 loss is still pretty big - particularly when they had to slash prices to sub $500 far faster than they would have liked.

Generally a clusterfuck of a project.

If Sony sell the PS5 at $600, it would probably be at a marginal profit. Which means even if it sells just about as well as the PS3 (~90 million units), it will have made them money - a huge amount of money if they keep prices as close to MSRP years down the line, as they did with the PS4.

Absolutely it was for many, many reasons but the HW BOM itself wasn't that expensive as Sony worked their butts off for years to ensure so and get great supply deals. The BluRay bet, Cell, OtherOS, going with Nvidia for the GPU and more all contributed along with the aggressive and constant major iterations. Just compare to PS4!

I see Leadbetter's early FuD musings since the PS5 reveal have taken proper form at just the right time. Insider sauce merchanting now.... not a bad time to branch off too. Smart, but transparent as well.

Last edited:
A PS5 costs roughly $450 to manufacture. I'm not sure if this is with the controller. If it isn't then the $500+ makes sense.

Also I find it really funny how people are willing to spend $700+ on a phone every 2-3 years but nothing more for than $500 for a console that they'll change in 5-7 years.

It isnt 2010, nobody gives a fuck about the latest phone any more. High end phones are at commodity prices these days.

martino

Phil said several times Series X would be very affordable.

receipt. i only remember he said he won't be outmatched on price and power and later he has a plan that could win the gen.
also i found that :
that is not going your way imo.

edit : i just found it https://www.inverse.com/gaming/xbox-series-x-price-phil-spencer-comments

is it me or it's same day 2 articles hinting at opposite from same source :messenger_weary:

Last edited:

Entroyp

I don’t understand why is MS not giving us the price. $299 and $399 are all but locked after all their hurdles and lack of content.

Top Bottom