• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Hellblade Switch Analysis: Just How Close Is It To PS4?

Evilms

Banned
Have you seen how a base xboner runs AAA games these days? 720p is common.

The WiiU was 355 gigaflops. The Switch is considerably faster than that console. Might want to tell Gamespot they have their figures wrong: https://www.gamespot.com/gallery/console-gpu-power-compared-ranking-systems-by-flop/2900-1334/10/

I think we both went way off track. The Switch is up to 1 TF docked, 0.6tf undocked. Would explain why even in portable mode it can manage ue4 games at 540p.

3257038-chart+%282%29.jpg

You have it all wrong.

1936b89f6212e6e8c6e8ba6b8a97805420190209181219.png

Loooool. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Nope, were discussing the inbuilt capabilities of the hardware and how that affects performance of certain games. The Switch's Tegra X1 can do over 1ghz easy, that's a fact. And that has been shown to improve performance in existing games. Ignoring that fact won't make it go away.

You can stay in your walled garden and pretend the reality outside is otherwise.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Anyone even believed that it'll be on par with the Xbox or PS versions? If yes, you're deluded. The only good benefit of having this on the Switch is playing it portable. Other than that, it's not worth it.

Evilms

Banned
Loooool. :messenger_tears_of_joy: Nope, were discussing the inbuilt capabilities of the hardware and how that affects performance of certain games. The Switch's Tegra X1 can do over 1ghz easy, that's a fact. And that has been shown to improve performance in existing games. Ignoring that fact won't make it go away.

You can stay in your walled garden and pretend the reality outside is otherwise.

No, try again :3

No one cares about your modded Switch, that has no bearing on the manufacturer specifications or its output capability. Games are coded around those specifications and computational metrics, not your delusions.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
No one cares about your modded Switch, that has no bearing on the manufacturer specifications or its output capability. Games are coded around those specifications and computational metrics, not your delusions.
You should stop astroturfing,

It doesn’t help.

And yet those same games perform better and are 100% stable when the unlocked clockspeeds in the Switch are increased. You're the delusional one.

Last edited:
You should stop astroturfing,

It doesn’t help.
You should stop using progressive buzzwords that you don't actually understand and incorrectly apply meaning to.

And yet those same games perform better when the unlocked clockspeeds in the Switch are increased. You're the delusional one.
No one is delusional except for those trying to apply obscene minority modified systems as some kind of baseline. It doesn't matter what can be attained, what matters is how the system is natively configured. Also the reality is jailbreaking is still illegal according to the DMCA, so you're not only breaking the law you're openly admitting to it and gloating about it.

All of this is void.

TLZ

Banned

Well you mentioned the base unmodified Xbox One. Then you compared that to your modified Switch.

Nope, homebrew is not illegal. Modifying your retail product is not illegal. Voiding your warranty is not illegal. Delusional Appeals to Authority won't get you anywhere.

And the stock hardware in the switch is UNDERclocked, not due to heat dissipation issues or customization, but due to power draw requirements of the system in portable mode. The docked clockpeeds are purely software based and artificial, to bring requirements down so all games can perform at portable clocks as well without too many compromises. This is why its so easy and risk free to up the clocks when docked. It's just a stock Tegra X1 running at reduced clocks. This is also why games perform better and stay stable, when one does so.

Well you mentioned the base unmodified Xbox One. Then you compared that to your modified Switch.

The implication being you can overclock an xbox one with a 30 minute softmod and a simple command. Good luck with that. I compared it to a vanilla xbone because that's the next closest system in regards to jiggly puffs.

Last edited:
Nope, homebrew is not illegal. Modifying your retail product is not illegal. Appeal to Authority won't get you anywhere.

And the stock hardware in the switch is UNDERclocked, not due to heat dissipation issues or customization, but due to power draw requirements of the system in portable mode. The docked clockpeeds are purely software based and artificial, to bring requirements down so all games can perform at portable clocks as well without too many compromises. This is why its so easy and risk free to up the clocks when docked. It's just a stock Tegra X1 running at reduced clocks. This is also why games perform better and stay stable, when one does so.

The implication being you can overclock an xbox one with a softmod and a simple command. Good luck with that. I compared it to a vanilla xbone because that's the next closest system in regards to jiggly puffs.
It's not an appeal to authority, it's an appeal to the law and you seem to be egregiously unfamiliar with it as you actively engage in breaking it.

https://copyright.gov/1201/2015/fedreg-publicinspectionFR.pdf

Video game consoles, their operating software and games do not have exemptions. They're actually the most stringently targeted by the DMCA due to the nature of piracy.

P.S. No one cares.

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

I was impressed. Or better, I really like when games which were not meant to be in a weaker hardware, is ported over and the end result is very positive. For some reason the game have no appeal for me, so I will probably pass.

Fbh

Why do some people get so angry about these ports? Some in this thread seem borderline offended that this game was ported.

Yeah switch has weak hardware and of course the game looks a lot worse.

As I said in the other thread. I'd recommend people to buy this on another platform if they have that option since it's really a game that benefits from sharper visuals.
But there's people out there that only have a Switch or that due to some reason mostly get time to play on the go (lots of work related traveling, or a long commute, etc), for them this version seems decent enough

Why do some people get so angry about these ports? Some in this thread seem borderline offended that this game was ported.

As I said in the other thread. I'd recommend people to buy this on another platform if they have that option since it's really a game that benefits from sharper visuals.
But there's people out there that only have a Switch or that due to some reason mostly get time to play on the go (lots of work related traveling, or a long commute, etc), for them this version seems decent enough
Because whenever Switch gets what would equate to a horrible port anywhere else they develop cognitive dissonance and then somehow it becomes impressive.

FranXico

why ps4? xbox one X is way better than any other version. they should compare it to xbox one x
Because such a comparison would be even more unfair.
Besides, high end PCs run anything better than any console. I'd call PC version the best of all.

DrNeroCF

Remember when people complained endlessly how PSP ports looked worse than the 360 and PS3 games? No? Huh, how odd...

Romulus

I'm actually surprised it doesn't look slightly better. I know the Switch is underpowered, but there is so much fog obscuring details, and it's very linear with only 1-2 characters onscreen most of the time. That resolution is horrid, it reminds me of RE4 on Gamecube in some scenes. Glad they attempted it though.

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Switch is not as performant as the larger consoles? No!

This must be the annual gathering of captains Obvious.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Character models very close textures downgraded backgrounds details in particular downgraded very noticeable in some cases.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah I don't understand their post about having to do a double take, it's pretty clear that it's starkly inferior on all fronts against everything.
Neither do I but I didn't write that bit!

It's pretty obviously a big step down from the other consoles.

Still impressive, though, considering the nature of the platform.

stranno

Remember when people complained endlessly how PSP ports looked worse than the 360 and PS3 games? No? Huh, how odd...
People always expected that PSP could reach PS2 levels back in the day. Of course it never happened, even bare ports from PSP to PS2 looked/performed better on PS2: MotorStorm: Arctic Edge, Liberty/Vice City Stories, Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror/Logan's Shadow, etc.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Rich got it right on spot by saying "smoke and mirrors".

I get what Jon says, though we should be clear that it's delicate matter. You see, basically every port that goes to Switch gonna suffer somehow, so the case here is of how little they will take of the game to make it fits the Switch version. If we go to the route "hey it's a miracle, we should praise that", then every ports that go to Switch will be praised. Which kinda kills the purpose of making those videos (why the need of comparison if this is a Switch version and you should be impressed to even be there?).

So in the end, I'm not gonna just praise the game if it receives a port. If it sacrifices very little, then its a very well job done. If not and we got things like "taking everything the game has to offer until its barelly notable"(aka Ark), then it's not worth the praise. See my take as a feedback Jon, I like your videos.

Last edited:

Mozza

So let me get this right...a less powerful hybrid console does not run a game as well as a more powerful dedicated home console,and why are we even the slightest bit surprised by this ground breaking revelation? ;)

blu

Also the reality is jailbreaking is still illegal according to the DMCA, so you're not only breaking the law you're openly admitting to it and gloating about it.
You might be surprised to learn gaf is an international forum and DMCA means jackshit outside America -- the rest of the world have their digital content protection and protection circumvention laws. Also, this is the gaming section of the forum -- every single homebrew thread is full of Americans 'breaking the DMCA'. Guess what -- uncle Sam doesn't care, and for a good reason too -- going after people's rights to fair use of the goods they bought might discourage those people from buying those goods in the future.

Last edited:
You might be surprised to learn gaf is an international forum and DMCA means jackshit outside America -- the rest of the world have their digital content protection and protection circumvention laws. Also, this is the gaming section of the forum -- every single homebrew thread is full of Americans 'breaking the DMCA'. Guess what -- uncle Sam doesn't care, and for a good reason too -- going after people's rights to fair use of the goods they bought might discourage those people from buying those goods in the future.
The console gaming populous of the world is roughly 35%-40% comprised of United States citizens, I'll take my chances in using generalities citing United States law.

P.S. Japan which makes up another decently large chunk these things are far more illegal and have much greater consequences.

shrug.png

Last edited:

blu

The console gaming populous of the world is roughly 35%-40% comprised of United States citizens, I'll take my chances in using generalities citing United States law.
Let me make sure I got you right, and that shit I just read was for real: You'll take your chances accusing a random gaf member of violating one of the most draconian laws in America history, that even America's own law enforcement does not bother to enforce?

P.S. Japan which makes up another decently large chunk these things are far more illegal and have much greater consequences.
You suspect poster might be a Japanese-American who might have to commit a seppuku once they have disgraced themselves via a jailbroken switch?

EDMIX

Anyone even believed that it'll be on par with the Xbox or PS versions? If yes, you're deluded. The only good benefit of having this on the Switch is playing it portable. Other than that, it's not worth it.

Whats crazy, is I don't even get why anyone would even want to play this on the go...

This is just a home experience and I don't really recommend anyone play this great game this way. XB, PC or PS please..

Let me make sure I got you right, and that shit I just read was for real: You'll take your chances accusing a random gaf member of violating one of the most draconian laws in America history, that even America's own law enforcement does not bother to enforce?

You suspect poster might be a Japanese-American who might have to commit a seppuku once they have disgraced themselves via a jailbroken switch?
When I have about 50% odds of being correct? Absolutely. Notice he didn't try to counter it? US citizen, bud. In terms of the law; the vast majority of people who jailbreak their systems do so to run illegally obtained software, so don't give me that BS about it being draconian.

Also lack of enforcement or light enforcement isn't justification, it's still breaking the law.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Whats crazy, is I don't even get why anyone would even want to play this on the go...

This is just a home experience and I don't really recommend anyone play this great game this way. XB, PC or PS please..
Agreed + a headset is a MUST in this game. Literally it’s 50% of the full experience

ROMhack

Genuinely, I think people spend too much time on the internet talking about games and not enough time playing them. Just a theory.

SonGoku

I get the appeal, if switch is your only console obviously Nintendo games are the main draw but its a nice bonus to get 3rd patty ports even if inferior they are still very enjoyable
I love to play on handhelds at home theres some magic to it, i wish they ported re4 to switch, my only complain is games not hitting native rez, wish a revision would solve that.
Not going to do much with a 50% upgrade. Still won't be at Xbox One level.
Native rez on handheld mode would be a massive upgrade

Last edited:

Donnie

Before Switch was released:-

"Look how low power it is, this will mean it literally won't be able to port over PS4 or XBox One games, no matter what extreme sacrifices are made the hardware just won't be to able to run the game full stop"

Now:-

"Oh look this Switch port is a bit lower resolution than the XBox One version and has a bit worse draw distance, pathetic!"

Laughable how things have changed on here.

blu

Before Switch was released:-

"Look how low power it is, this will mean it literally won't be able to port over PS4 or XBox One games, no matter what extreme sacrifices are made the hardware just won't be to able to run the game full stop"

Now:-

"Oh look this Switch port is a bit lower resolution than the XBox One version and has a bit worse draw distance, pathetic!"

Laughable how things have changed on here.
I can only imagine how those people feel today. No, wait, I know how they feel -- I've seen them in this very thread and every other switch downport thread on gaf ; )

Last edited:
Top Bottom