• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry impressions on Forza Horizon 5

Matesamo

Game looks and sounds amazing, I usually am not a big racing guy but the pure variety of stuff to do in Forza Horizons made me a fan with 4, looking to get in day one with this one.

Maybe I exaggerated a bit but going by last year’s trailer the vegetation is not nearly as dense as in FH5.
Just look at this last bit in this video. Unless they’ve upgraded it a ton in the last year Halo won’t even come close to this.

But maybe it wouldn’t work when it comes to gameplay?

rear view mirrors through the jungle look horrendous and 5.35 pop up/shadows is bad....pray some of that is sorted.

A Rzyen 7 3800X... with 64 GB DDR4... and a Radeon RX 580.

This is the PC equivalent of skipping leg day. Do not skip leg day.

I know right!? :messenger_grinning_sweat: I was waiting to see what Nvidia and AMD had coming next, so rather than not using the new PC at all because it lacked a GPU, I wanted to be using it right away with a cheap placeholder. Wasn't willing to spend to go bigger on GPU when the GPU was immediately getting tossed for big Navi or RTX 3000 series.

I invested much more into this beast of a case, largely because it allows me to have two entirely different desktop machines inside one case, and that's something I plan on doing.

"next gen graphic" began with Demons Souls back in 2020.

just saying teresa giudice GIF

Also, reading the article, I find it hilarious that they mention how good the "30 fps" implementation is....
Im Sorry What Season 1 Episode 7 GIF by Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist's Extraordinary Playlist

If this were a PS game... 30 fps in gran turismo... I have a feeling these guys would be saying very different stuff.

Imagine having next gen hardward and excuse a racer with 30 FPS WTF!!
Bro you’re insufferable lmao.

I like to brag on my own unprompted but if ask for it, I am happy to do it ! :D
I got my 3080 FOUNDERS EDITION last year for MSRP. I think that's even stronger bragging rights.
You can see my neogaf, 3080, c1 and eve a bit of ps5 there... and YES. FH5 looks FANTASTIC but it's an evolution of 4 and not a revolution.
I think games like Demons Souls look more next gen. But for being a cross gen title, the fact that fh5 looks better than fh4 is admirable

M7cp6in.jpg

Demons Souls is wayyyy too enclosed or constrained to be considered more next gen looking. That's a pretty bizarre statement. As to the evolution of FH4 remark... come on...

This is Forza Horizon 4 on a RTX 3080 running at 4K resolution. You can't tell Forza Horizon 5 on Series X is a massive visual leap over this?

Last edited:
They are both great games and worthy of praise by bluepoint and playground.
I think that the issue is people claiming that this is the first real "next gen" looking title. Even from a console war perspective it makes no sense, some (of the same?) people have arguing that flight simulator was that for the Xbox machines.

I think that the issue is people claiming that this is the first real "next gen" looking title. Even from a console war perspective it makes no sense, some (of the same?) people have arguing that flight simulator was that for the Xbox machines.

I'm not going that far and saying it's the first next gen looking title because that isn't true, but I personally feel it's easily one of the most impressive new titles I've seen.

Demons Souls is wayyyy too enclosed or constrained to be considered more next gen looking. That's a pretty bizarre statement. As to the evolution of FH4 remark... come on..
1 FH4 is pretty hard to distinguish from 5 (it doesn't mean it looks bad)

2 no games taking place mostly inside can be considered "next gen" now? No matter how good they look?

Guilty_AI

2 no games taking place mostly inside can be considered "next gen" now? No matter how good they look?
level size, amount of enemies, dynamic time of day/weather vs static.. the higher the magnitude and dynamism of game, the harder it is to make it look good.

When dealing with smaller scales and more static scenarios, it becomes easier to make stuff that looks like this, both in terms of hardware requirement and production

Thats why it is 100% fair to bring things like dynamic time of day, size of the maps, amount of npcs, etc. into the equation when talking about "graphics". And in that sense, its true Demon Souls doesn't have much going on for it, its one of the "easier" types of games to make look good since scenarios are small, mostly static and with few npcs.

Last edited:
1 FH4 is pretty hard to distinguish from 5 (it doesn't mean it looks bad)

Not at all, it's just that Forza Horizon 5 has a similarly impressive level of fidelity combined with a massive open world. I'm responding to a claim that Demons Souls looks MORE next gen. I'm saying it absolutely does not. Does it look next gen? Yes it does.

My exact words were "Demons Souls is wayyyy too enclosed or constrained to be considered more next gen looking."

I didn't say because it takes place mostly inside it can't be considered next-gen period. Why would you leave off the "more next-gen" part of what I said despite it being so clear? Is the omission one of those clever ban tactics you guys try to utilize on people for disagreeing with you about a Playstation exclusive? I guess I'll know if I'm banned for such a misunderstanding. :p

60fps mode looks good, I expected more cutbacks than that. Not really feeling the environment though. Sure it’s nice looking but it’s all a bit similar and familiar.

Im more looking forward to Turn10’s proper reveal of the new engine and what new stuff Motorsport is going to bring.

You guys remember that spy super car game back on the original Playstation? Spyhunter I think? Looking at Forza Horizon 5 it kinda makes me wish Playground would try to make some kind of badass spy with a super car title where you can exit your car lol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Demons Souls is wayyyy too enclosed or constrained to be considered more next gen looking. That's a pretty bizarre statement. As to the evolution of FH4 remark... come on...

This is Forza Horizon 4 on a RTX 3080 running at 4K resolution. You can't tell Forza Horizon 5 on Series X is a massive visual leap over this?

What does being enclosed have to do with anything? Demons souls looks more next gen big or small

What does being enclosed have to do with anything? Demons souls looks more next gen big or small

Totally disagree, not even close to being true. You're going off dark fantasy art style versus a more realistic location kind of art style in an arcade racer, but it's fine, it's your opinion. You also think Forza Horizon 4 is in the same league graphically as Forza Horizon 5 despite video after video showing that Forza Horizon 5 is in an entirely different league altogether on a variety of fronts. Environments are way richer, much more visually dense, lighting and effects are night and day.

Look at the video below and lets get serious for a moment. Forza Horizon 4 competes with this? Mere evolution? Define evolution when nothing in Forza Horizon 4 touches what I linked to in the video below. You see that level of detail thanks to the photogrammetry? What in Forza Horizon 4 matches up to this?

Don't let less dense areas of road lull you into thinking the two games are close, Forza Horizon 4 is nowhere close to this even at its best.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Totally disagree, not even close to being true. You're going off dark fantasy art style versus a more realistic location kind of art style in an arcade racer, but it's fine, it's your opinion. You also think Forza Horizon 4 is in the same league graphically as Forza Horizon 5 despite video after video showing that Forza Horizon 5 is in an entirely different league altogether on a variety of fronts. Environments are way richer, much more visually dense, lighting and effects are night and day.

Look at the video below and lets get serious for a moment. Forza Horizon 4 competes with this? Mere evolution? Define evolution when nothing in Forza Horizon 4 touches what I linked to in the video below. You see that level of detail thanks to the photogrammetry? What in Forza Horizon 4 matches up to this?

Don't let less dense areas of road lull you into thinking the two games are close, Forza Horizon 4 is nowhere close to this even at its best.

I don't know what to tell you.
Looks like a normal video game tropical environment. Different to FH4 and better but if they were to do UK again, it wouldn't look much different than it did.
It's just a different terrain with more vegetation.
It's apples to oranges compared to Demons Souls as far as next gen feel.
I know this is the worst thing to say but Driveclub ran in a small gif window still looks more realistic.
But it's not comparable. FH5 aims for more fun look

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why has this thread turned into fh5 vs demons souls? Mods gonna get in here and sort it out or what?
It didn't. People claim FH5 looks next gen and I say that there are games that look more next gen...
And it's in graphical impressions of FH5 thread. Not too much off the charts.
And I dont like that people act like if I said FH5 looks bad. I say it looks amazing in my every post here lol :p Just not as impressive as df would claim maybe

It didn't. People claim FH5 looks next gen and I say that there are games that look more next gen...
And I dont like that people act like if I said FH5 looks bad. I say it looks amazing in my every post here lol :p Just not as impressive as df would claim maybe
Then take it up with DF don't shit up this thread with your fanboy bullshit.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Same can be said about Demon Soul also, doesn't look that much better than lets say God Of War 2018. The game is literally just straight corridors with static lighting, what Forza is doing is soo beyond what Demon Souls doing.

And you ignored my previous post where i show the upgrades in 5 that blow anything in 4
I also play on the same screen and on a 3080 ti and i have over 200h on FH4 and i can clearly see how much they improved it over 4. And 4 was the best looking racing game of last gen thats stil easily in the top 10 best looking games in general.
I mean look at those, how is this not impressive

fh5_biome-rocky_coast-03-16x9_wm.jpg

E39GgnZWEAMZ93c

51244938403_ba5450ae65_o.png

And don't forget what we have seen till now was all on console, the pc version will push things even further.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Then take it up with DF don't shit up this thread with your fanboy bullshit.
fanboy bs ?!
Discussion is not fanboy bullshit. I have 3080 pc. Being Sony fanboy is the last thing I would do lol.
Comparing games graphics in a graphics thread ?! what a blasphemy.
This is a DF thread here. People discuss with me and I think we have a good talk.

Turk1993 Turk1993
Of course it looks better than FH4. I never said it does not. From the beginning I said it looks great.
But it's still a crossgen title. We will realize this in few years when exclusive next gen games come out.
Imagine how amazing it would look if they were not old hardware restricted in the design.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It looks like a huge upgrade over 4, which was one of the best looking games at the time also. I play 4 nearly every day and I can see the difference. It’s pretty damn huge tbh. I don’t get the looks like 4 comments but each to their own.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I like to brag on my own unprompted but if ask for it, I am happy to do it ! :D
I got my 3080 FOUNDERS EDITION last year for MSRP. I think that's even stronger bragging rights.
You can see my neogaf, 3080, c1 and eve a bit of ps5 there... and YES. FH5 looks FANTASTIC but it's an evolution of 4 and not a revolution.
I think games like Demons Souls look more next gen. But for being a cross gen title, the fact that fh5 looks better than fh4 is admirable

M7cp6in.jpg

All games on current gen games so far are an evolution.

The argument that demon souls looks more next gen is really weak, they are both adding effects which were used last gen but to a higher quality and quantity.

To be fair they are both doing a lot of the same things, more geometry, better lighting effects, higher textures, higher resolution + framerate.
I dont even no how one could conclude which has the suprior visual technology and quality.

Also demon souls being a remake from the PS3 is going to restrict some things.

Sosokrates

I dont know if this full video has been posted already, but it looks unbelievable here.

Reminds me of Jurassic Park with the light brown roads and lush jungles. Man, a Jurassic park game next gen would be so good, with the right dev.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
fanboy bs ?!
Discussion is not fanboy bullshit. I have 3080 pc. Being Sony fanboy is the last thing I would do lol.
Comparing games graphics in a graphics thread ?! what a blasphemy.
This is a DF thread here. People discuss with me and I think we have a good talk.

Turk1993 Turk1993
Of course it looks better than FH4. I never said it does not. From the beginning I said it looks great.
But it's still a crossgen title. We will realize this in few years when exclusive next gen games come out.
Imagine how amazing it would look if they were not old hardware restricted in the design.

any game at the moment could be a cross gen game. Hell demons souls could run on a PS4 pro at like 900p - 1080p at 30 fps with some cut backs. We literally have no idea how this game looks on the one x or one. It could look heavily cut back. These boxes are all x86 boxes with AMD APUs. The ps5 and Xbox are literally beefed up versions of the pro consoles with ssds. I genuinely think anything could run cross gen Even ratchet. Sure the ssd would be a problem, but graphically it’s just gonna need scaling back in resolution and some effects.

shit is mad flexible nowadays.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
btw. I never even played driveclub. These few gifs are just impressive af lol :D
Still looks incredible in the right conditions but the base PS4 code for the game didn't age well. And those gifs hide alot of its flaws. I still play it from time to time, if you can grab it cheap on disc you should try it out its a fun game. But you miss alot of the content (DLC) which made it much much better than the base game.

Sosokrates

any game at the moment could be a cross gen game. Hell demons souls could run on a PS4 pro at like 900p - 1080p at 30 fps with some cut backs. We literally have no idea how this game looks on the one x or one. It could look heavily cut back. These boxes are all x86 boxes with AMD APUs. The ps5 and Xbox are literally beefed up versions of the pro consoles with ssds. I genuinely think anything could run cross gen Even ratchet. Sure the ssd would be a problem, but graphically it’s just gonna need scaling back in resolution and some effects.

shit is mad flexible nowadays.

Couldn't agree more, theres plenty of things that could be scaled back on the released current gen games to work on last gen, with the exception of maybe flight sim.

Fucking trolls can't shut up about PlayStation bullshit.
I'd love it when PS trolls don't compare an open world game, to demon souls. Completely different games, with different goals in mind. Or comparing any game for that matter. This is about Forza, not any other game. They can make their own thread for that, and get it closed immediately, simultaneously.

You guys are in for a fucking treat. Fh5 is fucking amazing, beautiful landscape, controls are even tighter, and more will be shown soon ;). Steam preload coming soon ;)

Sosokrates

I'd love it when PS trolls don't compare an open world game, to demon souls. Completely different games, with different goals in mind. Or comparing any game for that matter. This is about Forza, not any other game. They can make their own thread for that, and get it closed immediately, simultaneously.

You guys are in for a fucking treat. Fh5 is fucking amazing, beautiful landscape, controls are even tighter, and more will be shown soon ;). Steam preload coming soon ;)

Indeed best looking game of the year

uj1c9zL.gif

Buggy Loop

At least they moved from : “Have you seen our lord and savoir in a tiny compressed gif when it’s raining?”

MrFunSocks

Banned
Purely sticking to facts:

Forza horizon 5 can't be "the first next gen game", not by facts and not by opinions.

why? simple, forza horizon 5 isnt a next gen game, it is cross gen game. Because it is available on xbox one too.

Basically the same if ratchet & clank would have been released on ps4 -> it would not be really a next gen game either.

Does it look like a next gen game on series x is a different deal, and it can be discussed from different viewpoints and by opinions.

IMO it looks good, but it probably looks much better IRL vs. youtube, like games usually do. So it probably looks like a next gen game, while it is a cross gen game.

At least to me, next gen literally means a game tailored to next gen (current gen now) system, without having last gen version available. And how games look, it is separated thing from gens.

When I will buy series x, I will get flight simulator + forza 5, so it is good enough to me graphically.
FH5 very well could be "cross gen" in name only though, as they've got precedent for doing that. FH2 was basically a different game on XB1 and 360. We haven't seen a single screenshot or second of footage from the XB1 version yet IIRC? Could very well be the same deal, a "downport" by a different developer. Playground did the XB1 version of FH2 and Sumo Digital did the 360 version.

level size, amount of enemies, dynamic time of day/weather vs static.. the higher the magnitude and dynamism of game, the harder it is to make it look good.

When dealing with smaller scales and more static scenarios, it becomes easier to make stuff that looks like this, both in terms of hardware requirement and production

Thats why it is 100% fair to bring things like dynamic time of day, size of the maps, amount of npcs, etc. into the equation when talking about "graphics". And in that sense, its true Demon Souls doesn't have much going on for it, its one of the "easier" types of games to make look good since scenarios are small, mostly static and with few npcs.

Tell me something I don't know.

It's not like the animation, special effects, etc. Did not count all of a sudden because you said so.

Take the ratchet and clank game if you prefer.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No idea why things are so hostile in here. The concept of next Gen graphics is so alien this Gen because of this bizarre fascination with cross gen games, native 4K resolutions and in demon souls case 60 FPS. Yes ratchet and ds look great but they have wasted half of the gpu power on hitting native 4K at 30 FPS. Next Gen games will target 1440p 30 FPS like the ue5 demo.

As good as forza looks, I can promise everyone their next game will look way better. Especially if they leave this nonsense native 4k resolution behind.

Forza’s biggest upgrade are its environments. The detail is simply unlike anything that’s come before it. We can compare it to gt7 which is closed circuit and is still being beaten by an open world game. The difference in environmental detail is simply generational.

However, the lighting still looks off to me. It doesn’t look Photorealistic like flight simulator which should be very doable for racing games this Gen. other more traditional games like fable and hell blade 2, maybe at 1440p 30 FPS but racing games will always target 1440p 60 FPS limiting their graphics budget.

And lastly, next Gen means cpu can finally allow them to do things they couldn’t do before. Destruction, detailed weather systems, other simulations, far higher number of cars. We are simply not getting those upgrades with 5 because it’s still a cross gen title.

I suspect next year with forza being next Gen only and gt7 being cross gen is going to be a real bloodbath. Especially if they can get the lightning right, use Horizon quality trackside detail and add destruction that has been missing from these so called sims for so long.

As it stands, forza horizon is a great cross gen effort just like horizon forbidden West but both games will show their age as soon as next Gen games like avatar, forza Motorsport 8 and other ue5 games roll around.

CamHostage

FH5 very well could be "cross gen" in name only though, as they've got precedent for doing that. FH2 was basically a different game on XB1 and 360. We haven't seen a single screenshot or second of footage from the XB1 version yet IIRC? Could very well be the same deal, a "downport" by a different developer. Playground did the XB1 version of FH2 and Sumo Digital did the 360 version.

Eh, we're 12 days away from launch and have no indication that there's some downported Xbox One version hiding itself from view.

I think we're done with those days of developers handing games off to external developers to make unique versions of the game engine (sometimes totally different games even, such as FH2 which used a lot of designs of the One game but ran on the outmodeled FH1 engine and had very different campaign.) Games now have to run on the same basic technology stack, because they need to be cross-play online across the product line. Also, the platforms are much more similar than in the past, and scaling is much more familiar in game development tools, so they don't need to go to great extremes like in the past where accurate releases just weren't possible. Unlike PlayStation cross-gen releases, Xbox games like Forza Horizon 5 come in one box, so although Microsoft has some latitude with Smart Delivery (I guess if there really were totally different ports, they could do two discs, or even stiff One players by making them download the whole game and only include the Xbox Series version on the disc,) One will probably not be getting some crazy schism-version release.

That doesn't mean that the Xbox One version couldn't get handed down to an assistant team so that Playground could prioritize Xbox Series fully, leaving somebody else to figure out how to chop down all those trees and light Mexico with much less sunlight. (Port studios do get brought in to help either upgrade or downgrade a game, ala Nixes or Virtuos doing all the PC versions of PS games, or Saber Interactive or Panic Button trimming games to work on Switch.) A downgraded version of a game can get pretty jacked up in the conversion process still. But they're the same games, just reworked to operate on different platforms, often within the same online ecosystem.

So no, there's not much room for FH5 to be cross-gen "in name only". It is cross-gen. And, at least on the Xbox Series X/S end of it so far, the game is really damned good at it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its a next gen game to me. Its already a l;evel above FH4 maxed out on my PC, a considerable level above, and that was the best looking racer ever imo, so.

We are so close to release and have seen zero footage of the XB1 version, yet fanboys are arguing over semantics with cross gen. I'll be VERY surprised if XB1 has all the rubble and rocks and thick grass and foliage like the Series versions. In fact i'll bet it looks leagues worse.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think we're done with those days of developers handing games off to external developers to make unique versions of the game engine
For Microsoft, definitely. For Sony, probably not. Some 'small' company is doing the GoW port whilst it won't be the biggest amount of work to get it working on pc, it still is a branching of the engine .

Fools idol

Banned
Looks amazing. Some of my cars are in there too which is kinda cool to see.. Have a feeling this games gonna make me finally pull the trigger on a GT3RS

MrFunSocks

Banned
Eh, we're 12 days away from launch and have no indication that there's some downported Xbox One version hiding itself from view.
We're also 12 days away from launch and we haven't seen a single screenshot of the Xbox One version.

The game coming on a disc means nothing because the Series X game doesn't fit on a disc - it's going to require a download. It's preloaded on my Series X and it was a over 100gb download.

I would not be at all surprised to see it being a Forza Horizon 4 engine downport on the XB1. There's plenty of room for it to be.

Calling Forza Horizon 2 on the Xbox One and the 360 "the same game" is completely wrong btw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom