• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Inside Crysis 2 Remastered - The Crytek Tech Breakdown - First PS5 Footage

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

From Digital Foundry:

The Crysis Remastered Trilogy is completing soon with the arrival of Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 Remastered and John Linneman travelled to Crytek's Frankfurt HQ to speak with the developers about their approach to the final two games in the series and to see how the studio has taken onboard feedback from the first Crysis Remastered. Oh... and a chance to see first footage of Crysis 2 Remastered running on PS5.

In terms of what we can show you today, Crysis 2 running on PlayStation 5 is fundamentally a cross-generational project - you're seeing the PS4 Pro codebase running on Sony's latest machine. It's back-compat plus then, with Crytek adopting a similar approach on Xbox Series consoles. As you'll see from the debug info in the top-right of the screen, Crysis 2 Remastered runs at 1440p native resolution and what we've seen so far shows a very close lock to 60 frames per second. Expect a higher resolution on Xbox Series X.

The of-its-era teal and orange colour grade has been replaced with something that looks a lot better, while there is plenty of actual remastering in effect in addition to simply deploying the DX11 enhancements. Texture resolution is significantly increased via 3D scans, the handling of materials is significantly improved (especially evident on aspects like vehicles and the view weapon), while lighting in particular receives a boost via a big increase in fidelity thanks to Crytek using its real-time global illumination systems - SVOGI - while screen-space reflections are augmented via a big increase in cube-map samples. Level of detail improvements are also in place.

Last edited:
I remember when it first came out, I pirated it and thought that based on the bizarre intro, I had some troll copy of the game. There's no way this is the real game right? With the Marines acting so strange, the cutscenes with Prophet being so disjointed, that weird ass scientist guy. It all just felt so "off" compared to the first game. Then I bought it on Steam a few months later and nope it's really that bizarre. Weird ass game.

Fake

-There will not be different modes (Performance, Framerate etc) for Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 Remastered on console.
-Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 Remastered will not have raytracing on console, but the PC version will. Console raytracing is being considered for implementation post-launch, but it is expected to eat up a lot of performance due to the city setting with lots of reflective windows on buildings
-Crysis 2 and Crysis 3 Remastered won’t have a “Can it Run Crysis?” graphics mode as it often caused gamers to have a negative reaction when they found their expensive graphics card couldn’t run the game well
-Crytek initially went through the third level of the game which has a mix of alien ship interior, city areas and some grassy areas and updated the visuals, providing Saber with a visual target for the rest of the game to prevent a situation like with the Crysis 1 Remaster where it looked too color saturated and unfaithful to the original game.
-Marcel Schaika is the Lead Artist on the C2 and C3 remaster, and has been involved very early on in the production, which is good because he was an Environment Artist on C2 and C3, meaning he has first hand knowledge of the original art direction and the goals the team had.
-Crytek is still committed to patching Crysis 1 Remastered on PC and they are mostly focused on bringing more CPU optimization to the game.
-Crytek went through Crysis 2 Remastered and identified which assets appeared the most and were shared through as many levels as possible, and selected them to be updated and improved upon, often through new scans. This means that some minor assets will fall through and see minimal or no changes, but this will likely be infrequent.
-The physical Crysis 1 Remastered on Switch will ship with all enhancements and patches on the cart itself that have been made since the digital release, which is great for preservation and longevity.
-A day one patch is being worked on for Crysis Trilogy Remastered as the time it takes for the physical games to be printed and created is often immense, which allows the developers more time to fix bugs and enhance the game. The example given was that the Switch version takes six months to go through all the phases of physical production, and rather then waste that time, Crytek works on a day one patch to further enhance the game.

by Crysis reddit.

Amazing how ho-hum the game looks today.

This was the game blew everyone's mind with how "realistic" graphics were when it first came out.

Now it looks cartoony AF.

Love And Basketball Dance GIF by HBO Max

elliot5

I dont quite understand why its out of the budget for them to do native next gen ports
Crysis 1 Remastered was not a native game either. Making native ports would require updating their engine/the engine Crysis 1/2/3 run off of to work within the new SDKs and APIs (like DirectX12) for the new consoles. That would take a non-trivial amount of work when they are on a tight timeline and budget. I think it's clear these Remasters are meant as a way to get a solid ROI while providing decent upgrades for console players, not that there's anything wrong with it.

I remember when it first came out, I pirated it and thought that based on the bizarre intro, I had some troll copy of the game. There's no way this is the real game right? With the Marines acting so strange, the cutscenes with Prophet being so disjointed, that weird ass scientist guy. It all just felt so "off" compared to the first game. Then I bought it on Steam a few months later and nope it's really that bizarre. Weird ass game.

The old guy was cool.
The game felt off but the more I played, the more I liked it. On replays I could appreciate the opening levels more. It's way too long though.

Speaking of length - this is their chance to fix Crysis 3's second half. The levels are gigantic but almost empty.

Cryio

While I really really hope the Remaster will look better than MaldoHDv4 mod for Crysis 2, I doubt it will end up better.

Great Hair

Banned
Why is the audio quality so terrible when John talks and not when the other two are? Looks like they faked this shit, you can not see any window reflection in john´s glasses and the lighting is different in general.

Also that awkward, intense stare by Stephan without blinking once. A laptop screen is visible (reflection).
iZTrM4o.png

skit_data

I played the first one on PS3 but fell off because I felt it lacked progression and direction and it never struck me as particulary good visually (probably because it was the console version).

Might pick this up just to experience it fully, but my impression from that time was that it was a pretty shallow game beneath the suit powers and without the visual spectacle that was the PC version it came across as pretty subpar.

Last edited:

Skifi28

You know it's a """remaster""" when you have to compare it to the 360 version in trailers, otherwise you wouldn't be able to notice much difference. There's also no excuse for not having native ps5/xsx versions basically a year after they launched. Minimum effort project and the first game is still a mess while they try to sell the next, good luck.

II_JumPeR_I

Jesus, Crytek is really incompetent.
PS5 and Xbox Series X/S are out for almost a year and they can't manage to provide native next-gen versions of their ancient games.

What the fuck are they doing?
Its called budget. They probably wasted a lot of money on C1 remastered.
I sure agree a native version would have been better. At least the BC solution on Xbox will be better for this.

Lucky8BB

Banned
Almost 60FPS at 1440p? My old 980TI could do over 100 at that resolution.
Crysis 2 remaster runs in BC mode on consoles, and keep in mind this gameplay has 60fps lock, so we dont know how uncapped (real performance) framerate look like.

Jack Uzi

Banned
Why is the audio quality so terrible when John talks and not when the other two are? Looks like they faked this shit, you can not see any window reflection in john´s glasses and the lighting is different in general.

Also that awkward, intense stare by Stephan without blinking once. A laptop screen is visible (reflection).
iZTrM4o.png
No ray tracing. Crytek’s software ray tracing is also shit.

Top Bottom