• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Marvel's Spider-Man 2 PS5 Showcase Trailer Tech Breakdown

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You swing at super high speed dude, i don't believe for a single moment that during high speed web slinging or acrobatic combat you can notice high quality ssr over rtx.

People who stop all the time to notice this stuff are just people who love taking screenshots, not people who actually play the game.
You just wait until how it's going to be hammered into us by a subset... for a racing game ;)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My issue this game's visuals is same issue I have 99% all marvel movies, they are visually look dull as hell and no amount of tech is gonna fix that.

Neo_game

IMO resolution is not important but I hope they can do fixed 1440 30fps with RT and 60fps in performance mode. They still have some months to polish assuming the game is almost done by now.

OCASM

Banned
But adding better environmental physics and animations will, with the already high fidelity scenes and lighting that are drawn.

Physics/Animations should be the next big game changer. Metro's jank hinders that, big time. No matter the lighting solution and dated assets.
OK.You want the console's power to be used for improving physics and animation instead of rendering. Do you mean something like this?

If so, is there any native PS5/XSX doing that?

Mind showing us a UE5 game that is released utilizing both Lumen and Nanite that is visually up to your next gen standards?
It's like we're going in circles here:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
You swing at super high speed dude, i don't believe for a single moment that during high speed web slinging or acrobatic combat you can notice high quality ssr over rtx.

People who stop all the time to notice this stuff are just people who love taking screenshots, not people who actually play the game.

And this game has even faster web slinging than spidey 1, so...
But there are lots of moments you don't swing and it really looks nice. Without it the game looks even more last gen.
SM111-2.jpg

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526191612.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526193955.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526204544.png

Not that impressive when you remember that GTAV did this all the way back in 2013 with much weaker hardware as a baseline. Now it wasn't instantaneous, but it was still a pretty quick transition that got faster once the game came to Xbox One and PS4 and PC.
Got to be trolling, because that transition was never fast.....it only got faster if your characters were close. GTAV was running at sub 30 fps, at barely 900p on ps3, just starting the game took around 2 minutes and online loading is a joke......compared to Spiderman running 60 fps, with raytracing at dynamic 4k resolution and instant loading.....

You could do better than that.

James Franco Flirt GIF

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Wait, how would SSR work on the buildings lol!? They are reflecting back faced geometry and other assets that are completely offscreen 99% of the time. SSR would only work perpendicular surface, i.e. the ground.

And this game has even faster web slinging than spidey 1, so...

Which makes the much improved rt reflections seen in the gameplay trailer that much impressive. An improvement a lot of people are surprisingly not talking about here

Got to be trolling, because that transition was never fast.....it only got faster if your characters were close. GTAV was running at sub 30 fps, at barely 900p on ps3, just starting the game took around 2 minutes and online loading is a joke......compared to Spiderman running 60 fps, with raytracing at dynamic 4k resolution and instant loading.....

You could do better than that.

James Franco Flirt GIF
You thought the Spiderman 2 gameplay demo was running at 60fps?

Happy Cracking Up GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
I know it will when it releases, so my point still stands. You're trolling to compare GTAV TO SM2.
The only part I was comparing was the ability to switch between characters in an open world with a simple controller prompt. Not sure why that offended you.

Also, there probably will be a 60fps mode, but at the cost of some of those lauded ray-tracing effects and resolution. There is always a sacrifice.

Last edited:

OCASM

Banned
Made an excerpt of the video I linked in the previous page:

Quake 3 already had stencil shadows and some form of bump mapping but without appropriate content to show it off it looked like a meager iterative improvement over Quake 2 to the average gamer. It took artists with vision to create content that really showcases what that tech could be pushed to do:

No, which is why they should be stepping it up in that department. The CPU/GPGPU afforded to them is there.
So you see, we actually agree in principle.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm sorry but nobody is gonna convince me that rtx reflections are absolutely needed in a game where you explore and fight at high speed with acrobatic moves for 90% of the time.

Reflections nutjobs are a particularly annoying branch between the graphic whores.

They should use the resources on the light model or to vastly improve the models and overall texture work, if you need a df video to tell you that they improved the textures here and there you know they fucked up, the ue5 fairy mountain demo or wukong looks both incredible even with yt compression so don't give me that shit...
I have a love hate relationship with RT. On one hand, is the massive hit on the GPU just for reflections worth it? Obviously not especially when RT has a huge hit on cpu AND vram. Like 1 whole GB, sometimes 1.5 GB that needs to be in vram even when there are no reflective areas on the scene. Thats resources that could be used elsewhere.

On the other hand, 'some' games in some areas can completely change the visual makeup. Spiderman Miles and the OG spiderman remake have indoor areas that look far more detailed because of those added reflections.

FU3UMZ4X0AEgSe8

FU3T6uNWAAAD_EE

But outdoors? Meh. You can easily fake that stuff from a distance. Maybe they can be smart about it and only change to RT reflections when you get close to them, but it's not like we are getting these fantastic mirror reflections on buildings anyway. See Spiderman 3 below.

1.-story-1.jpg

What they are doing is very low res and honestly just a waste of precious GPU resources that should go into upgrading it so we dont have people crying diminishing returns while ignoring they wasted 75% of the GPU pushing pixels and RT.

This is from spiderman 1 on PS4 and reflections look great. who gives a shit if spiderman doesnt get reflected? looks fantastic regardless.

P.S As the resident puddlegate truther, I would welcome full RT on PC ports or even in mid gen refreshes. Just dont use waste this stuff on base consoles. 10 tflops is clearly not enough to push visuals, resolution and RT. you will have to make sacrifices.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think the obsession with making every game look as realistic as possible is a detriment to progress visually. Imagine what a Spiderman game using comic-book art render would look like on modern hardware.

Miles Morales Marvel GIF by Sony Pictures Animation

Funny enough I've been dreaming/wishing that they somehow include this aesthetic as a mini game over the past couple weeks.

Crayon

I thought it had a chance to be visually crushing but it's just nice. Better looking than most games anyway, but still disheartening. The expectations were for insonmiac to lead the way on next gen graphics but if this is any indication, it's going to be a slow march to something that really blows away what we have today. And that means it will be gradual progression so numb nuts will say this looks like a ps2 game by then.

Last edited:
I'm gonna go watch Across the Spider Verse in a few minutes, heh.

So I can't watch the video, will do later. But what resolution can we expect for 60fps or impossible to say?

I've asked this same question yesterday to one my buddies who is working as a render engineer for a well known AAA studio, and he told me that he expects a 60FPS mode to run around 1080p with RT since it's not a generational leap over Spider-Man Remastered. Hope this helps.

GymWolf

But there are lots of moments you don't swing and it really looks nice. Without it the game looks even more last gen.
SM111-2.jpg

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526191612.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526193955.png

Marvel-s-Spider-Man-Remastered-20230526204544.png

Wait, how would SSR work on the buildings lol!? They are reflecting back faced geometry and other assets that are completely offscreen 99% of the time. SSR would only work perpendicular surface, i.e. the ground.

Which makes the much improved rt reflections seen in the gameplay trailer that much impressive. An improvement a lot of people are surprisingly not talking about here
I just think that if you have to sacrifice something, it must be something that you barely notice most of the time in such an high speed game, of course there are slower moments, but most of the time you web sling or fight and you barely notice the reflections if they look wonky.

I think that a better light system or better textures overall are just something that make a bigger difference at any given moment.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think the obsession with making every game look as realistic as possible is a detriment to progress visually.
This my biggest reason why I cant get excited for "next gen" graphics as much as other people because its only going towards one direction, towards realism.

What am I suppose to be excited about?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
SM111-2.jpg
lol neither screenshot looks good but yes, its a minor improvement. The question we have to ask is whether or not its worth the 35% hit to GPU (if someone has spiderman here on PC, they can tell us the exact figure) and the cost on the cpu and having the vram hold the BVH structure data at all times even when there is nothing to reflect. see the vram issues that plagued the PC version of RE4.

regardless, those are really poor reflections by insomniac. last gen consoles do way better reflections than that. Insomniac just made 'smart cuts' to increase visual fidelity elsewhere. something they have failed to do this time around. I dont know if they did it because of GPU resources or manpower but I can show you several last gen games with better reflections without needing RT. Hell, see the gif above. the reflections in even spiderman 1 are fine unless you really stop to take a look.

CmP9-c6XEAA97Tr

EhCpq_wXYAMTsIw

Horizon_Forbidden_West_20220204143410.jpg

video-game-infamous-second-son-wallpaper-preview.jpg

1673851481-horizon-forbidden-west-20230112202237.jpg

Ev1L AuRoN

I'm expecting a 60fps RT mode just like before, I don't care about the native resolution as much as the result on screen, we live in an image reconstruction world.

Lokaum D+

"regardless, those are really poor reflections by insomniac. last gen consoles do way better reflections than that. Insomniac just made 'smart cuts' to increase visual fidelity elsewhere. something they have failed to do this time around. I dont know if they did it because of GPU resources or manpower but I can show you several last gen games with better reflections without needing RT. Hell, see the gif above. the reflections in even spiderman 1 are fine unless you really stop to take a look."

thats the most idiotic thing i read today

HZD Amazing reflections

Infamous Second Son God Like Reflections ( Infamous with RT would be an amazing upgradre )

Last edited:
It's reasonable to say that devs should focus less on framerate and resolution and more on other stuff, like what would a 1080p/30fps PS5 game look like? But then the game would get raked over the coals for being a 1080p/30fps game, that's just a fact. We've seen it a million times. Jedi Survivor and Forspoken both got criticized for their low base resolutions even though they were using FSR, and people have wanted devs to use techniques like FSR in console, and the whole point of these techniques is that you lower the base resolution lmao. So you're damned if you do damned if you don't. It's fixed hardware, you can't have it all, devs make choices based on how they feel to best present the game. They can't win.

I thought Spiderman 2018 looked spectacular on PS4 (Pro), one of the best looking games, and Remastered with RT made the game look even better, so I dunno, I think I'm ok with an iteration.

You're wrong. Rational people praised Returnal with it's 1080p base resolution, for having excellent image quality. That refutes your claim right there.

The reason people bag on Jedi Survivor is because of its bad iq. Sure they'll cite the low base resolution to support that but the reason is the soft iq and artifact ridden image caused by implementing FSR 2 with such a low native resolution.

PS- jedi Survivors iq is not only poor in performance mode. Fidelity leaves a lot to be desired at times too.

Last edited:

nowhat

Imagine what a Spiderman game using comic-book art render would look like on modern hardware.
You don't have to imagine it, Miles Morales already does it. There's a Spider-verse costume that animates at 12fps and also... suit addons? plug-ins? Can't remember what they're called in the game, but at any rate, you can also get these great "poof"/"oof" cartoon speech bubbles while beating up baddies.

This doesn't affect the rest of the game, granted, but if Insomniac would like to make it the prevalent art style, they have already done much of the work.

It’a fucking unfinished game. Why are some people here loosing their fucking minds over DF analyse? He said he couldn’t even do a reliable pixelcount.

So many people here will eat crow when this game is released and looks a lot better. I mean i trust Insomniac over all Xbox devs.

This. I'm sure the game will look great at launch. All I need is 1440p scaled up to 4k/60fps (no raytracing) and I'm groovy.

Last edited:

sendit

"regardless, those are really poor reflections by insomniac. last gen consoles do way better reflections than that. Insomniac just made 'smart cuts' to increase visual fidelity elsewhere. something they have failed to do this time around. I dont know if they did it because of GPU resources or manpower but I can show you several last gen games with better reflections without needing RT. Hell, see the gif above. the reflections in even spiderman 1 are fine unless you really stop to take a look."

thats the most idiotic thing i read today

HZD Amazing reflections

Infamous Second Son God Like Reflections ( Infamous with RT would be an amazing upgradre )

Not sure if you're serious......

edit: nm, you're quoting someone.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Most of the people complaining are PlayStation ‘fanboys’ or whatever you want to call them. Like myself. I only have a PS5 which I got day 1. Haven’t had an Xbox since 360. You mentioning Xbox means nothing to us, we just want better from PlayStation. The show case was their worst ever, and their BIG next gen only showcase doesn’t look as good as the first time we saw miles morales gameplay. Simple as that.

You really need go play some games and relax if this first unfinished game trailer already makes you lose your mind. Insomniac already stated it was an old build. And then what...it already looked better then what the competition has released for the last decade.

The initial teaser/trailer from Horizon Call of the Mountain looked blurry compared to the latest trailer and launch trailer. It was almost a day and night difference.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Nobody can describe what "next gen" is supposed to look like. And when they do, they whip out tech demos. Which no game ever hits, because it's just a damned tech demo.
I just find it strange how people on either side can't seem to bridge the gap in their minds.

Should we expect Matrix level visuals in the top open world games at acceptable resolutions and framerates this gen? No. But at the same time, we can and should expect them to look better than Spider-Man 2, and by a decent margin. There's somewhere in the middle that can't be that hard to picture.

Speaking for myself though, I don't think this game looks adequately next gen. I wasn't expecting a massive graphics boost, though I must say I was expecting better than this at this point in development. The thing that really rubs me the wrong way is the gameplay. Yes, Spider-Man 2018 was a great moment-moment gameplay experience, but the restrictions of PS4 hardware and it being Insomniac's first time at a Spider-Man game, or really any action game focused on CQC were obvious. But they've not taken advantage of anything beyond the speed of traversal.

We're still going to be chucking sewer lids and car doors instead of throwing cars. We're still going to be isolating single targets in the air instead of using it as it's own plane of combat. We're still fighting 10 man squads of standard thugs with color coded combat vests who can only throw one punch or stand and shoot in 10 second intervals instead of fighting hordes of super-powered freaks who can match Spider-Man's strength and speed. We're still going to chase vehicles with no interaction other than pressing circle for to clunkily dodge shots zeroed in at the head no matter the speed or positioning of the player, and then pressing triangle to stop it in a canned animation; instead of pursuing that vehicle anyway you please, webbing it to buildings or just punching through it.

Uncharted and TLOU got serious gameplay upgrades with the new gen, and I expected that here. There's even less excuse not to push on that front with a rather mediocre graphics showcase. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment, but I'm looking to Wolverine for any of this stuff now. Clearly, Insomniac's not ready to leave behind the bones of a PS4 game with this sequel.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I'm expecting a 60fps RT mode just like before, I don't care about the native resolution as much as the result on screen, we live in an image reconstruction world.
feels game of thrones GIF

30 fps and RT obviously doable, but 60 and RT, that's very unlikely.

Last edited:

Skifi28

feels game of thrones GIF

30 fps and RT obviously doable, but 60 and RT, that's very unlikely.
If there's one studio that has proven it can do it, it's Insomniac. I'm sure there'll be some concessions, but the RT performance mode in both Miles and Rachet was insanely well done.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'm only seeing people shitting on the graphic tbh, the people who shat on the gameplay are people who probably didn't liked the first spidey gameplay neither.

Expectations dude, do you expect the same graphic from fromsoft and sony studios? nobody does.
Do we expected a game that looks barely better than morales when their other nextgen only game is the second best looking ps5 game (and for many it's the best).

And btw, horizon get constant ass-lickining for its graphic in here, even people who dislike the game think that it looks wonderful.

Considering how much money ER made, their next game better not use the same fucking trash engine.

Spyxos

Gold Member
If there's one studio that has proven it can do it, it's Insomniac. I'm sure there'll be some concessions, but the RT performance mode in both Miles and Rachet was insanely well done.
Yes, I know it works there, but to expect it again and this time in not a crossgame game can only lead to dissapointment. Ratchet and Clank had only Rt in 30 Fps mode if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Yes, I know it works there, but to expect it again and this time in not a crossgame game can only lead to dissapointment. Ratchet and Clank had only Rt in 30 Fps mode if i remember correctly.
It was added after launch. 60fps with RT and a dynamic 1440p like Miles. It was crazy good.

Top Bottom