• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Metroid Prime Remastered - An Essential Buy For Nintendo Switch

Draugoth

Gold Member

The recent release of Metroid Prime Remastered on Nintendo Switch is a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. The quality of the remastering work could well be described as a remake owing to the night and day differences and improvement delivered by the new version of the game, seemingly based on an enhanced version of Retro Studios' internal engine. Either way, this is an essential buy for Switch users.

• 00:00 Overview
  • 01:13 Visual features and upgrades
  • 06:16 Animation and control changes
  • 09:41 Image quality and performance
  • 11:57 Analysis and conclusion

Last edited:

nowhat

Couple it with an mClassic and it is jaw dropping.
Hey, getting off-topic, but I seldom touch my Switch nowadays, because I never really use it handheld. And on a large 4K screen and with most Japanese developers seemingly allergic to any form of AA, it's just looks too rough. So does the mClassic really work? It seems too snake-oily to be true, but perhaps I'm just too skeptical.

Kataploom

Gold Member
The remaster is incredible. Couple it with an mClassic and it is jaw dropping.
How does the additional latency feels with it? Seems like something I'd buy but I'm too sensible to latency :(

BTW, just watched it, great effort, framerate is basically locked :D

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t wait until my physical copy arrives!
give it to me GIF

Would be a shame if 2 and 3 don’t get the same treatment. I’m drooling just thinking about seeing a remastered version of SkyTown/Elysia from MP3.

Last edited:

Fbh

Retro should share their engine around.
This looks pretty impressive for a Switch game running at 900p and basically locked 60fps

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Could have spent a little more time on analyzing the lighting features, like the morph ball's constant glow illuminating surroundings, or those glowing enemies doing the same. Also needs to spend more time in the options cos things like the look downward on jumps thing are there.

Some of the organic surfaces could have been a little better I think, those first tree branches encountered I almost thought are not as updated from the original cos they're so blocky they kinda look out of place, but they're also brand new assets yet just don't look very smooth. Oh well.

Last edited:

Fake

Hey, getting off-topic, but I seldom touch my Switch nowadays, because I never really use it handheld. And on a large 4K screen and with most Japanese developers seemingly allergic to any form of AA, it's just looks too rough. So does the mClassic really work? It seems too snake-oily to be true, but perhaps I'm just too skeptical.

They do work. DF already did a video about.

Resolution fall to 1080p works great, add AA for most of NS because they have a huge reputation of not having AA, and if I remember right the cable remove chromatic abehation.

daclynk

Good work Retro game. Nice game engine they have there. They should be doing more game with that engine.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Retro should share their engine around.
This looks pretty impressive for a Switch game running at 900p and basically locked 60fps

I was thinking they ought to offer a 720p mode for people using the Switch screen but with the charger connected. Or even just a mode that says "this'll get through your battery quickly"

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Yes, it's the best accessory I have for the Switch given that the time I spend playing it is primarily on a TV.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
the colors in the games opening area are outstanding!
Seems like all these hdr games on the other consoles have actually been hurting/ muting color in games are maybe it’s just the current trend?
But the opening area colors are so sharp and intense.

Top Bottom