• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - New Nintendo Switch: 6 Hardware Upgrades We Must See

Caayn

I think they don't even need to add to the list because in the video they showed the info about the revision switch. If look close, have a mention about a OLED screen just like the iphone. OLED pretty much reduce the screen reflection.
The panel type doesn't tell the reflectiveness of the complete display package.

Smartphones often have a high brightness and specially treated glass to combat glare which makes them easier to see when you're outdoors despite, often, having highly reflective displays.

Imtjnotu

O
I think they don't even need to add to the list because in the video they showed the info about the revision switch. If look close, have a mention about a OLED screen just like the iphone. OLED pretty much reduce the screen reflection.
Oleds do not do anything to make o reduce screen reflections. The glass over the top of it is the issue of the screen isn't bright enough. Dji has shown this with lcds and it's crystal sky screens

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Where’s HDMI 2.1 with VRR?

Variable refresh rate alone would be awesome, but also consider the reduced input lag on every game that uses Vsync (which is most games)

iconmaster

Banned
Oh, one more thing - a USB-C port also at the top of the device.

Good point; and did Nintendo's USB eccentricity get sorted? For a while it was a bad idea to buy a third-party charger because they're designed for proper USB-C and Switch sort of isn't.

(Edit: looks like it remains an issue, but affects third-party docks more than charging cables.)

Last edited:

Yagami_Sama

This rumored new Switch version, is very tricky to guess. I particularly think that, since Switch is attracting a lot of developer a more powerful version of the console , or at least one "expansion pack", like a dock that adds storage, processor and so would be nice, and this will improve performance in several games right away, but, this leads to another problem that, developers will need to have the game running in 3 setups, handheld, "dock, vanilla version" and " Pro". And this scenario might cause to have games running with horrible resolution on handheld, so so on dock and good on the pro. This might cause more problems that solutions, mainly if we consider, at least I believe, that people play more in Handheld mode and have the Switch as a secondary console, to complement the PC or PS4, XOne,

And based on that, since people always complaint about Switch price point, and a lot of people say that just will buy the console if is cheaper and or that Nintendo must cut the price, A handheld only could make ore sense. And if they improve battery life. But the issue here is how the will handle the joycons, because "fixed controls" will kill the ideia of "sharing the joy".

I particularly believe that, the two options I mentioned are feasible and may have an audience for both, but how they will do that, without pissing who already bought the console is the interesting part to watch. And seen how Nintendo Handled their hardware revision, I rather have may expectations low, this might be a New 3DS Switch , rather than a Xone X or PS4 Pro Situation,

BUT, one thing they need to do is improve storage, 32GB is awful, and network. This might no be related to the hardware per si, but now that they are charging for the "right" to play online, they need to improve their infrastructure.

Fake

O

Oleds do not do anything to make o reduce screen reflections. The glass over the top of it is the issue of the screen isn't bright enough. Dji has shown this with lcds and it's crystal sky screens
Full oled vs LCD? I know LCD have a damn high reflection, unless nintendo adopt anti-glare reflection Samsung screen most found in some Samsung notebook (my notebook even). They really do a decent job of decrease reflection.

juliotendo

• 4k output support for TV's (not actually render games at 4k)
  • better wifi
  • better dock
  • more storage
  • improved kickstand
  • increased display size(bezel less in same form factor)

I wouldn’t count on 4K.

I believe all we will see is a slightly beefed up console with upgraded chipset and similar appearance — like the “new” Nintendo 3DS a couple years ago.

Imtjnotu

It would if it actually ran all games at native rez. If anything i would rather have a switch with a 540p screen that runs all games at native rez
That would look even worse on a 4k screen. I wouldn't mind have just a smaller die SoC in the thing to give me a faster clocks so it can look better on a big screen

llien

When I read Nintendo related news, I often feel like it's from a parallel universe, where tech isn't as developed as in mine.

Last edited:

Dr.brain64

The chances of nintendo doing this... Are they even aware of DF?

In any case, if it costs more nintendo can shove it.

SonGoku

That would look even worse on a 4k screen. I wouldn't mind have just a smaller die SoC in the thing to give me a faster clocks so it can look better on a big screen
How would it look worse? docked output is not affected by display resolution

Imtjnotu

How would it look worse? docked output is not affected by display resolution
Docked on a 4k 55 in screen is ugly on the switch. I don't need 4k res off the switch but I do need a better upscaler to help with the jagged mess on docked mode. I'll take blurred fxaa over the lack of aa now

SonGoku

Docked on a 4k 55 in screen is ugly on the switch. I don't need 4k res off the switch but I do need a better upscaler to help with the jagged mess on docked mode. I'll take blurred fxaa over the lack of aa now
That's all fine and dandy but what does it has to do with my post which talks about handheld screen resolution?

Last edited:

Lightsbane

I have absolutely no need for 4K output. My 4K TV has no problem whatsoever upscaling lower resolution content. It looks great.

What I would actually want:
- A more energy efficient processor, to improve battery life.
- Smaller size, for increased portability.
- One version with an improved dock, another with no dock and joycons incorporated into the "tablet" itself.
- Redesigned kick-stand.

Basically none of that "Switch Pro" crap. Just some small improvements and a (considerably cheaper) portable version.

Top Bottom