Posts in tech threads, doesn't understand.
- Dec 16, 2018
The game offers three modes on both PS4 and PS4 Pro :
- Action or High Framerate mode to target the 60fps.
- The Movie mode in 30fps only.
- Movie Unlocked mode with unlocked framerate 30~60fps.
All 3 modes use triple buffered v-sync.
- In "Movie mode", the game is in 4K checkerboard rendering (1920x2160c), the CB solution used here is however of questionable quality with visible artifacts. But the biggest concern of this mode is the shadows in the interior surfaces, as soon as the specular lighting is intense the shadows appear in low resolution contrary to the rest of the image.
- Another disadvantage with foliage that tends to flicker, DF thinks that a lower resolution in 1440p would have been a better choice than checkerboard rendering for better IQ.
- The "movie unlocked mode" seems identical to the movie mode but with a dynamic resolution of 1512p (1920x1512?) and the same technical concerns.
- The "action mode" is also in checkerboard rendering with a dynamic resolution of 1600x900~1920x1080 then upscaled to 4K, however many visual effects are downgraded (reduced realtime shadow quality, more pronounced aliasing, animations of some shadows disabled, geometric details decreased, remote textures appear blurred).
- Whatever mode is chosen, cutscenes are locked at 30fps, as well as the game menus.
- In "movie mode" the game runs in 1920x1080 at 30fps with the same anti-aliasing as on PS4 Pro.
- In "movie unlocked mode" it's in dynamic resolution 900~1080 with the same graphic settings as the Pro version.
- In "high framerate mode", even more aggressive dynamic resolution often running in 720p with the same visual effects mentioned above and which have been reduced.
-PS4 Pro in "movie mode": rare drops with 30fps most of the time.
-PS4 Pro in "movie unlocked mode": targets 60fps but actually ranges between 37~52fps.
-PS4 Pro in "high framerate mode": it's not perfect but the game manages to maintain 60fps most of the time (some rare drops below 40fps can occur).
-PS4 Fat/S in "movie mode": 30fps most of the time and fewer drops than the Pro version.
-PS4 Fat/S in ''movie unlocked mode'': 30~50fps depending on the zones.
-PS4 Fat/S in "high framerate mode": this is the mode recommended by DF, often 60fps like the Pro but the drops are a bit more frequent especially during fights.