• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Our first look at the PlayStation 5 user interface - and it could be a game-changer

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-a-first-look-at-the-ps5-user-interface

When was the last time we saw a game-changing reveal in the immediate run-up to the launch of a next generation console? Sony may well have pulled this out of the bag with today's new State of Play, concentrating on the much-anticipated PlayStation 5 user interface. Sony's menu systems have always been polished, beautiful pieces of work, but for the next generation, this is married with a truly impressive range of in-game functions. There are some impressive new improvements to existing options but also things we have never seen before in a console. Digital Foundry had the chance to see the interface ahead of time and to talk about the new system with SIE's Hideaki Nishino, senior vice president of platform and planning management.

More at the link. They were very impressed by the UI and the new features.

Last edited:

Kdad

I really don't 'get' reaction videos/posts being shared here...we have the UI video....we can react on our own without giving rando websites traffic...the UI was shown to us directly by SONY into our own eyeballs....go form your OWN opinions.

*yellsatclouds

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I really don't 'get' reaction videos...the UI was shown to us directly by SONY into our own eyeballs....go form your OWN opinions.

You're on a forum mate, the entire thing is reactions and opinions. It's the same thing, but in posts. If someone posts "looks good" and you like that post, you're reacting to a reaction.

Andodalf

Banned
I really don't 'get' reaction videos...the UI was shown to us directly by SONY into our own eyeballs....go form your OWN opinions.

*yellsatclouds

They chose not to make a video immediately about a self explanatory video, they get flamed.

They post an article the day of for something they got to see ahead of time, they get flamed for a non existent video.

DF can do no right for you people.

CAB_Life

*yellsatclouds

You say this and yet there was a multi-page epic here about the negligence of DF for not doing exactly that: as in, making a video to discuss a video that had already been made by someone else. Besides, this is a place for exchanging ideas and opining. No harm in DF sharing their thoughts.

More to the matter at hand: cool features in the UI although I’m not a fan of the block/ tile aesthetic. Don’t care for it on the Xbox, either. Let me customize my screen please; shrink down UI elements, make things nice and tidy. I think a lot of the success of this innovative UI depends upon how throughly the developers use all the systems set up for them.

Kdad

You're on a forum mate, the entire thing is reactions and opinions. It's the same thing, but in posts. If someone posts "looks good" and you like that post, you're reacting to a reaction.
Yes, fans interacting with fans about what we just saw is great....why do we need a 3rd party to filter things for us? It ads nothing to the conversation.

Reactions: MrS

timmyp53

I like the layout. Looks like it will scale well on a huge screen. Im one of the rare guys who enjoyed the activities section of ps4 ui. Looks like it won't be necessarily going away and will be integrated into the explore section of the the ui now.

Dynasty8

Liked everything I saw except some of the share features...or lack of. This is just a personal thing, but Xbox allows you to easily share captured pics and videos on basically everything including whatsapp (perfect for group chats). I only saw twitter for PS5....which I stay far away from.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

*yellsatclouds
Pfft....goddamn younger generation. You have ALL this time to yell at clouds. Wait (shaking fist in RAGE) YOU JUST WAIT until you have so many kids on your damn lawn you DREAM about the day you could yell at clouds.

It's a UI, it looks faster, Cool! I'll spend too much money buying games I have already bought, and buying new games that just give you constant hint videos so I won't really have to put much effort into playing them. The social features are completely lost on me. I don't have more than 6 friends IRL much less any "friends" I would hop into a chat with on PS5.

JimboJones

There's a focus on instant access to everything you need - delivered thanks to the new, faster Zen 2 CPU cores and the ultra-fast SSD solution, supplemented by a caching system to reduce potential network lag.

Very suspicious...very very suspicious. He only mentioned the SSD as "ultra fast" and not "super mega ultra Ken Kutaragi's willy is massive fast".
Mr Leadbetter, you have been caught out once again and you must be stopped.

Kdad

Pfft....goddamn younger generation. You have ALL this time to yell at clouds. Wait (shaking fist in RAGE) YOU JUST WAIT until you have so many kids on your damn lawn you DREAM about the day you could yell at clouds.

It's a UI, it looks faster, Cool! I'll spend too much money buying games I have already bought, and buying new games that just give you constant hint videos so I won't really have to put much effort into playing them. The social features are completely lost on me. I don't have more than 6 friends IRL much less any "friends" I would hop into a chat with on PS5.
Razor wire cuts down the number of kids on the lawn. Yep, personally have no use for any of these social links (thought it was poor showing that they only had 'twitter' on the stream as a social network). I would have liked to see more about using the store and more about trophies and progress.

MiguelItUp

It basically looks like a beefier PS4 UI, so that's pretty good! Definitely looks easy to use, responsive, and snappy, so I feel like that's the most important thing in a console's UI.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yes, fans interacting with fans about what we just saw is great....why do we need a 3rd party to filter things for us? It ads nothing to the conversation.

Believe it or not, Digital Foundry are fans too, they just do it professionally. Just like others here, they share an opinion, and we're free to agree or disagree, share our thoughts, maybe they'll even change our minds.

I'm not even a huge DF fan, but if it gives people a starting point for discussion, so be it.

ToadMan

DF seem totally lost without their pixel peeping tools.

This SoP was fine I guess - I mean the UI is the most boring part of any console and that's the way it should be. But DF didn't add anything worthwhile here - they may as well have put a link to YouTube and said "go take a look".

BlvckFox

Gold Member
It isn’t a godly UI but kind of surprised at the mixed reception. It’s very neat, excited to see potential customization options, hopefully removing most “cards”

"One final piece of good news. We're firm advocates of game preservation at Digital Foundry. We believe that when you buy a physical game, you should be able to install and play it offline. The code on the disc matters. PlayStation 4 will always let you run that code, patches are never mandatory except for totally online titles - and Hideaki Nishino says that the same is true for PlayStation 5. Not being able to run the disc code would be "out of the question". There will be a PS5 Digital Edition, of course, but beyond the brand new bells and whistles with the new UI, it's good to see that the commitment to the physical disc is still there for those who stick to the standard console."

This, to me anyways, was the most important part of the article. Screw digital.

Codes 208

I just want custom folders that work with any game/app. I hate having to dig through the video options just to use YouTube

HUELEN10

So they brought back split/view snapping that the Xbox One dropped for the hints system? Wonder if their attempt will actually work long-term. I think the create screenshot UI. Luke use some work tho.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
John and Richard are impressed, you're impressed, everyone's impressed. Now can we get our hands on the console :(
November 12

HMKhttg.png

Kssio_Aug

I was a bit disappointed to be honest. It does look like an improvement over PS4's UI, but that's of course to be expected. The thing is that I was never a big fan of PS4's UI (that's one of the aspects I believe it's done much better on Xbox - just my personal opinion about it though). I think it looks fine, but not that great.

The activities card is a great idea though, but we will see if 3rd party devs will care about giving a proper and interesting use for it.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Just thinking what this could mean for Demon's Souls.

We're used to seeing the deaths of other players in Souls games via the bloodstain mechanic, but what if we could now see actual real time footage, picture in picture, of other chumps dying to the boss?

And then what if you could offer to help and jump straight in?

Because... I would fucking love that like a long lost dog.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned

Last edited:

Yoboman

Just thinking what this could mean for Demon's Souls.

We're used to seeing the deaths of other players in Souls games via the bloodstain mechanic, but what if we could now see actual real time footage, picture in picture, of other chumps dying to the boss?

And then what if you could offer to help and jump straight in?

Because... I would fucking love that like a long lost dog.
Sounds like a ninja dog tactic

Top Bottom