• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Our first look at the PlayStation 5 user interface - and it could be a game-changer

lachesis

It looks quite nice. I also like how elegant Sony's UI designs are - login screen kinda reminds me of the PS3 with that particle effects, without the flow lines. As a visual perspective, I think it looks much better than Xbox UI too, but I don't have much experience with it. Functionality wise, I guess I would just need to get my hands on and see how I feel.

My last Xbox experience was back in 360 days - and I never felt too comfortable with the dashboard design and layouts - it just felt somewhat cluttered around, and functionality that I'm looking for isn't where I could easily find in one spot or whatnot. Same goes to PS3 UI too.

PS4 did much better, although it's a bit slow whenever I try to go out and see the menus for the trophies and all... hopefully PS5 would be a smooth experience. Very much looking forward to have my hands on.

That is not "Picture In Picture" That is side by side, where your picture gets the sides trimmed off and only takes up part of the screen and there is a huge useless bar over the entire vertical length of your screen under the thumbnail video, terrible!
Having video hints there also screws Youtube content creators out of monetizing out of their bread and butter guide videos, but that is ok because no third party developer will ever support that bespoke feature anyway.
Also I noticed they were sure to have placeholder "cards" in the previews as to not reveal that as soon as it goes live they are going to 100% be full of ads.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
one thing am curious about with that footage is when the cards come up the game still looks like its moving. what if your in a big battle and know the cards up by mistake?

Last edited:

Blood Borne

I really don't 'get' reaction videos/posts being shared here...we have the UI video....we can react on our own without giving rando websites traffic...the UI was shown to us directly by SONY into our own eyeballs....go form your OWN opinions.

*yellsatclouds
Humans love/crave validation.

That is not "Picture In Picture" That is side by side, where your picture gets the sides trimmed off and only takes up part of the screen and there is a huge useless bar over the entire vertical length of your screen under the thumbnail video, terrible!
Having video hints there also screws Youtube content creators out of monetizing out of their bread and butter guide videos, but that is ok because no third party developer will ever support that bespoke feature anyway.
Also I noticed they were sure to have placeholder "cards" in the previews as to not reveal that as soon as it goes live they are going to 100% be full of ads.

It can be PiP or PbP

Maybe watch the video?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I really don't 'get' reaction videos/posts being shared here...we have the UI video....we can react on our own without giving rando websites traffic...the UI was shown to us directly by SONY into our own eyeballs....go form your OWN opinions.

*yellsatclouds

We talk about all reaction videos and post. Please sometimes they point out stuff that we didn't know or think about.

GymWolf

Ps5 UI being like

giphy.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Saw off parts of your thumbs....I have big hands too and that's never been a problem.
Well just because it hasn’t happend to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. The button is right deference the thumb sticks. Am curious what would happen if you were in battle does the game just carry on

Well just because it hasn’t happend to you doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. The button is right deference the thumb sticks. Am curious what would happen if you were in battle does the game just carry on

If it's a single player game it should just pause like it does with the PS4

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I guess you can switch uses like on ps4 .... one tap to homescreen and vice versa.
I was not judging you I was simply surprised.

I like some of the features, but i find the cards all very big. It kinda reminds of of how big everything is on the xbox UI, which i hated. The bigger the tiles, the more space they take and the longer will will be to move through them as they wont all fit in the page at first glance.

I like that they built this specifically for the ps5. Something i wish xbox had done.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Believe it or not, Digital Foundry are fans too, they just do it professionally.
Which is exactly why we shouldn't trust them, they review things to buy those same things and are swayed when they get them for free.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I expect Demon’s Souls to load as quickly as I saw it happen on the gameplay reveal, and if I don’t I will haul Sony over the coals for being lying bastards 👍
You talking about the thing where he went through a portal?

People need to keep in mind that levels of games use loads of shared assets... so switching levels, or going to a different area of a world isn't the same as a cold boot of a game.

It's gonna be fast, but not as fast as level switching.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Which is exactly why we shouldn't trust them, they review things to buy those same things and are swayed when they get them for free.

Somewhat true, though it depends how cynical you're feeling. People's reputations still depend on whether or not they blatantly upsell dogshit, hence something as huge as IGN is (rightfully) largely a big joke around here.

T-Cake

How long did that game take to load from scratch, it was definitely a lot more than 2 seconds.

I'm just hoping that it was using their own version of Quick Resume. Notice how there was no screen warning that Sockboy would close down? So the extended load time would be saving Sackboy and then launching All Stars. If it does that in 8 seconds, then it's 2x faster than Xbox.

FrankWza

-and we can now confirm that the whole presentation renders at a native 4K and even supports native HDR out of the box

-There's a focus on instant access to everything you need - delivered thanks to the new, faster Zen 2 CPU cores and the ultra-fast SSD solution, supplemented by a caching system to reduce potential network lag.

...next gen

Saber

Gold Member
I'm not sure I like the "watching other playing game while I'm playing my game". I mean, if I want to watch something I just stop what I'm doing so I can watch.

Now, the use of help videos seems to be a neat idea. They took the concept of people stop playing so they can watch youtube videos concept and bring it to the table. Not sure I like the idea of being something exclusive to the PS plus though.

Overall, I feel like the UI is pretty with somethings but kinda lame in other aspects. Too much thing showing in the screen could be messy.

20cent

Banned
People like to browse social medias or live-tweet while watching a TV show or even a movie, I've heard... So now they will be able to watch someone else playing while they're bored with the game they're playing?

I don't get any of this, what a nightmare.

Just thinking what this could mean for Demon's Souls.

We're used to seeing the deaths of other players in Souls games via the bloodstain mechanic, but what if we could now see actual real time footage, picture in picture, of other chumps dying to the boss?

And then what if you could offer to help and jump straight in?

Because... I would fucking love that like a long lost dog.
I think this is exactly how it can, and is going to be used 🙂

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
"One final piece of good news. We're firm advocates of game preservation at Digital Foundry. We believe that when you buy a physical game, you should be able to install and play it offline. The code on the disc matters. PlayStation 4 will always let you run that code, patches are never mandatory except for totally online titles - and Hideaki Nishino says that the same is true for PlayStation 5. Not being able to run the disc code would be "out of the question". There will be a PS5 Digital Edition, of course, but beyond the brand new bells and whistles with the new UI, it's good to see that the commitment to the physical disc is still there for those who stick to the standard console."

This, to me anyways, was the most important part of the article. Screw digital.
lol. I haven't bought a physical game in probably 8 years. I look at disc's past the PS360 era as just keys for digital anyways.

People like to browse social medias or live-tweet while watching a TV show or even a movie, I've heard... So now they will be able to watch someone else playing while they're bored with the game they're playing?

I don't get any of this, what a nightmare.
Exactly my thoughts. I guess I'm too old for all these 'sOcIaL" and "iNtErAcTiVe" features. I just want to boot the game and play without distractions.

First thing I always do when I get a new console / PC launcher is disabling all notifications and other crap.

The UI itself looks decent. I'd like to see it with a solid color / gradient background instead of a picture.

IDappa

Looks like it is refined PS4 UI with Xbox features sprinkled in. I like that Devs now have a place to interact with the community, I've always felt like consoles were missing something like it.

Ar¢tos

I dig it. Not having to open YT on a phone/tablet to look for location videos of collectibles and an estimate of remaining game level time is the best for me.

Top Bottom