• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Our first look at the PlayStation 5 user interface - and it could be a game-changer

turtlepowa

Banned
How many game changers do we have now? SSD, controller, Ui. Did i miss something? Do they stack or do they change the game everytime?

Tschumi

Maybe Sony learnt that they can get better word of mouth it they just let them muppets in on a secret a day or two early~

Definitely gonna watch this when i can..

so what's left from sony to show?

looks to be similar to the ps4 setup on the ui but my top questions

Is the psn store still locked to the account creator region and can u change regions ?

what ssds can you use and is the internal drive really 620gb available ?

Other bc related features (boost mode)

have they changed how refunds/preorders work on psn (like ms/steam?)

Quick resume

display mode options (widescreen/1440p support?

Will cross gen titles allow ds4 use?

Last edited:
How many game changers do we have now? SSD, controller, Ui. Did i miss something? Do they stack or do they change the game everytime?

Well Sony is trying some innovations with their products so it's normal some people are going to call some things "game changers".

Whether it is to you it's up to you to decide.

I personally think the I/O, UI and controller are the things that are getting changed the most when it comes to the PS5.

game-changer-5c2fcc.jpg

Isnt a lot of that stuff already on xbox, just presented differently? Like tracking the stuff you need to do? Xbox had that for ages.

Although it does show the importance of aesthetics. You can have something, but if its not easy to use or visually pleasing, then its like you never had it.

Although it does show the importance of aesthetics. You can have something, but if its not easy to use or visually pleasing, then its like you never had it.
Easy to use is the main point here, reducing friction for completing a task is an art that not all interface designers do well.

You can see Sony put a lot of thought and love in their console's interface (same with the PS4), putting the user experience in the center, this is no small feat.

If you are not convinced, lookup smartphones from before the iPhone's release, many had all the features, including the touch screen... However with lackluster implementation, it's all moot. Same with the tablets, MS had touch screen support in windows since the early 2000s, it was just bolted on, and nobody cared for it.

FrankWza

What may be a game changer to one person is not necessarily a game changer to another. So, when you go all out and address everything that your customers ask for you end up with a lot of happy people. The controller people look to be pleased. The UI people are happy with the reveal. The noisy PS4 people are pleased with the cooling and fan. The, it’s all about games people, are covered day 1 and backwards and forwards. The technology people have the fastest SSD available anywhere. The surround sound and headphones people are getting a game-centric 3d audio system. I think the only people who are disappointed are the tiny form factor people but that doesn’t exist so may as well go big.

Top Bottom