• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Persona 5 Royal - The Ports You've Been Waiting For - Every Console Tested - DF Tech Review

Zathalus

Didn't even realise he was running it at 1080p on the 800p Deck, lol, quality video right there, apparently its not black enough either.
Running it at 1080p is perfectly valid considering the game has no AA so supersampling would lead to a crisper image. That being said he mentioned in the video thst dropping to 720p does not fix the performance drops.

Last edited:

Banned
Running it at 1080p is perfectly valid considering the game has no AA so supersampling would lead to a crisper image. That being said he mentioned in the video thst dropping to 720p does not fix the performance drops.

for good supersampling you need 2x resolution scaling tho. 1080p down to 800p won't look good.

also pretty sure the PC version has AA

lmimmfn

As said above and I don't have the game to test but AA is a better option than supersampling if you can't run it at a factor of native rez, which for Steam you can't, but also the resolution figures are lower for the Switch so why run/performance test the Deck in higher rez?(if there's no discernable difference)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It says ports you've been waiting for, not test you've been waiting for. Of course lots of folks wanted this to come out on more platforms years now.
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

RobRSG

I found funny Oliver flexing about the Switch Oled screen saying the Steam Deck is not suitable for this kind of game - given the resolution it runs the game in portable mode.

In my v1 Switch it looks blurry, not sure if a different screen would bring any benefit aside from contrast.

It sounds a bit delusional to me.

Steam deck isn't a port. It's running the PC version and the hardware in the machine just isn't strong enough to handle this at 60fps. It shouldn't even be referenced in the same way as the other platforms.
I have seen people talking about the steam deck as a "platform" a few times... People are so confused 🤷‍♂️.

GHG

Gold Member
I have seen people talking about the steam deck as a "platform" a few times... People are so confused 🤷‍♂️.

People can say what they want but the fact is it's a handheld PC. Nothing less nothing more.

Valve themselves are the ones that work behind the scenes to attempt to remove as much friction as possible for the end user but from a development standpoint the device doesn't change anything - they simply create a PC version of their game if that's something on their agenda.

Kataploom

Gold Member
been loving this at 60fps. also the game itself is amazing and totally recommended
This is a turn-based RPG, but as with Final Fantasy 13, the dynamic nature of the camera movement and animations make it WAAAAAY better at 60, just way more immersive... Haven't played it but have been watching some gameplay and comparing

Banned
People can say what they want but the fact is it's a handheld PC. Nothing less nothing more.

it's more than that. developers actually implement Steam Deck specific settings and many devs got a Deck sent by Valve almost like a dev-kit-light

chaseroni

It shouldn't even be referenced in the same way as the other platforms.
I disagree, considering it's a single spec machine, and everyone's experience should generally be the same on it.
It's nice seeing how the device holds up, it's Valves flagship "PC" anyways.

GHG

Gold Member
it's more than that. developers actually implement Steam Deck specific settings and many devs got a Deck sent by Valve almost like a dev-kit-light

Developers have the option to get deck "verified" but that's nothing to do with specific settings for the deck (that's just a check to ensure the game fully runs out of the box and has controller support. It doesn't mean the game performs well on the hardware). That's the reason decks were sent to some developers and that's the reason you can request a Deck if you're in the midst of developing a game that will release on steam. The vast majority of developers don't provide optimised settings and it's actually been down to the community and valve themselves to sort that out on a game by game basis.

Settings resources:

I disagree, considering it's a single spec machine, and everyone's experience should generally be the same on it.
It's nice seeing how the device holds up, it's Valves flagship "PC" anyways.

People are free to run their games how they want on it based on user preference (framerate target, resolution, visual settings, etc), so no, everyone's experience will not be the same.

Last edited:
This is a turn-based RPG, but as with Final Fantasy 13, the dynamic nature of the camera movement and animations make it WAAAAAY better at 60, just way more immersive... Haven't played it but have been watching some gameplay and comparing
You should play it! No clue if it’s your thing or not but if you’re able to try it, you owe it to yourself.

Banned
Developers have the option to get deck "verified" but that's nothing to do with specific settings for the deck

but that's not what I'm talking about.
there are games that literally have a Steam Deck present for their graphics
like "High", "Ultra", "Medium" etc. there are games that have a dedicated "Steam Deck" option.

GHG

Gold Member
but that's not what I'm talking about.
there are games that literally have a Steam Deck present for their graphics
like "High", "Ultra", "Medium" etc. there are games that have a dedicated "Steam Deck" option.

And how many games have that in place? Cyberpunk is one that springs to mind but haven't come across many others. Persona 5 certainly doesn't have one.

Even with a preset in place it still doesn't stop users from deviating from it and customising the settings to achieve their desired results. If a preset is based around a 30fps target (which I believe cyberpunk is) then the user still has autonomy to fiddle around with things in order to extract more performance if necessary.

For the purposes of performance analysis the steam deck should feature alongside any PC analysis, not alongside consoles.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And how many games have that in place? Cyberpunk is one that springs to mind but haven't come across many others. Persona 5 certainly doesn't have one.

Even with a preset in place it still doesn't stop users from deviating from it and customising the settings to achieve their desired results. If a preset is based around a 30fps target (which I believe cyberpunk is) then the user still has autonomy to fiddle around with things in order to extract more performance if necessary.

For the purposes of performance analysis the steam deck should feature alongside any PC analysis, not alongside consoles.

It's unusual that DF took the time to make this video, I very highly doubt they'll have Alex make his usual PC focused video on a niche game like this.

I don't mind that they stuffed it in here so at least there's *some* info about it rather than nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
for good supersampling you need 2x resolution scaling tho. 1080p down to 800p won't look good.

also pretty sure the PC version has AA
The PC version does have AA (fxaa and smaa), but the implementation is quite bad. Supersampling is the way to go. I have to run the game at 4k and then 1.25x resolution scaling to get rid of the most egregious shimmering.

Loving the game however.

BbMajor7th

Seems like the Switch has buckets of headroom at that resolution - I'd rather have a higher overall pixel count and drop the occasional frame - hardly gonna be huge loss for a 30FPS turn-based game.

Hard to believe they want full price over again for unlocking the framerate on current-gen. I thought making Royal on PS4 a standalone SKU was a bit a of swizz, but this is honestly a piss-take.

Last edited:

damiank

I've played OG Persona 5 on PS3. It is extremely competent with only minimal frame drops at 720p and 30 FPS. It does have notable tearing though, but otherwise it's an extremely respectable port.
This game was created with PS3 in mind so hardly a port.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I want to like these games but when I gave 3 a chance, I got bored about halfway through and never went back. I love the idea of it but the combat was always so lame and I hate endless grinding.

Ev1L AuRoN

Funny, I find the switch version very good, it runs solid and about the resolution, I was even thinking it runs native without AA, the game doesn't look that blurry to me, maybe It's because I play on a small 42 inches 1080p display. I AM very happy with the switch version, I even ditch the game on PC because I think the game style fits a portable game better.

chaseroni

People are free to run their games how they want on it based on user preference (framerate target, resolution, visual settings, etc), so no, everyone's experience will not be the same.
Remind me again how many performance toggles are in Ghostwire Tokyo on PS5?
Yeah giving users options doesn't negate my point that the power delivery is exactly the same on every steamdeck, of course users will have options, as they always should.

Seems like the Switch has buckets of headroom at that resolution - I'd rather have a higher overall pixel count and drop the occasional frame - hardly gonna be huge loss for a 30FPS turn-based game.

Hard to believe they want full price over again for unlocking the framerate on current-gen. I thought making Royal on PS4 a standalone SKU was a bit a of swizz, but this is honestly a piss-take.
They didn’t even unlock the framerate fully the framerate should be unlocked up to 120 like it is on the pc version if you have Vrr but it’s not. What an absolute joke

BbMajor7th

They didn’t even unlock the framerate fully the framerate should be unlocked up to 120 like it is on the pc version if you have Vrr but it’s not. What an absolute joke
True - 1440p/120 should have been doable on XSX/PS5. I wouldn't mind, but they never go on sale either.

Last edited:
True - 1440p/120 should have been doable on XSX/PS5. I wouldn't mind, but they never go on sale either.
I don’t mean that I mean like what a lot of ps5 games do where they have bespoke vrr modes that just allow you to remove the current framerate cap and place it at a higher cap so the console can run as fast as it possible can (for example say a game is capped at 60 uncapped it may run 80-100)

Top Bottom