• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Red Dead Redemption 2 PC: What Does It Take To Run At 60fps?

But those tests are made only with turing.
And that does not automatically disqualify them from being accurate. Especially not when the issue is the exact same issue as one that is present in an earlier RAGE title.
I think it has been mentioned the Pascal driver is making the game run pretty rough on 8t:
And I can now speak from personal experience when I say that that is absolutely not the case. My system, which has a 4790K (4C8T) and a GTX1070, does not stutter...like at all. Performance isn't ideal but that's just the framerate being lower than I'd like. Pascal struggles in this game, but it's not stuttering, not with 8T. Plenty of stutter on 4/6T regardless of NVIDIA GPU though.

Last edited:

lukilladog

And that does not automatically disqualify them from being accurate. Especially not when the issue is the exact same issue as one that is present in an earlier RAGE title.

And I can now speak from personal experience when I say that that is absolutely not the case. My system, which has a 4790K (4C8T) and a GTX1070, does not stutter...like at all. Performance isn't ideal but that's just the framerate being lower than I'd like. Pascal struggles in this game, but it's not stuttering, not with 8T. Plenty of stutter on 4/6T regardless of NVIDIA GPU though.

4 core 8 thread processors seem to universally play nice with this game. 2600k is holding up very strong. That's an 8 year old processor.

Maybe you guys think I´m referring only to the stutters as shown on the gamer nexus videos, I´m also talking of lousy frame pacing, it´s evident on the couple vids I posted. Remember when the witcher 3 launched it also had lousy frame pacing in some configurations, that you could fix with a hack, as seen on the second video:

Evilms

Banned
red-dead-redemption-2-5dcebdefdfa7c.jpg

red-dead-redemption-2-5dcebdfb4a1dc.jpg

red-dead-redemption-2-5dcebe05e98d6.jpg

Maybe you guys think I´m referring only to the stutters as shown on the gamer nexus videos, I´m also talking of lousy frame pacing, it´s evident on the couple vids I posted. Remember when the witcher 3 launched it also had lousy frame pacing in some configurations, that you could fix with a hack, as seen on the second video:
That's because you're watching ~45FPS gameplay after it has been hamfisted into a 60FPS video....
This causes some frames to persist for 16.7ms and some for 33.3ms. Similar to 45FPS gameplay on a 60Hz monitor this looks like shit, arguably worse than a 30FPS lock. Look...do I really need to explain this? You should know this already. Regardless I can get a fairly good lock at 42FPS at my settings of choice, and because my monitor is 84Hz and thus is divisible by 42, framepacing isn't an issue as long as I stay at the 42FPS cap.. You also can't judge framepacing by unlocked framerates. The card is pushing as hard as it can and frametimes are all over the place? No shit. It comes with the territory, max framerate benchmarks are terrible ways of testing framepacing.

TL;DR: You can't judge framepacing of any framerate other than 30 / 60 by watching a YouTube video and you really ought not to need this fact explaining to you.

Last edited:

lukilladog

That's because you're watching ~45FPS gameplay after it has been hamfisted into a 60FPS video....
This causes some frames to persist for 16.7ms and some for 33.3ms. Similar to 45FPS gameplay on a 60Hz monitor this looks like shit, arguably worse than a 30FPS lock. Look...do I really need to explain this? You should know this already. Regardless I can get a fairly good lock at 42FPS at my settings of choice, and because my monitor is 84Hz and thus is divisible by 42, framepacing isn't an issue as long as I stay at the 42FPS cap.. You also can't judge framepacing by unlocked framerates. The card is pushing as hard as it can and frametimes are all over the place? No shit. It comes with the territory, max framerate benchmarks are terrible ways of testing framepacing.

TL;DR: You can't judge framepacing of any framerate other than 30 / 60 by watching a YouTube video and you really ought not to need this fact explaining to you.

Even with the lack of smoothnes caused for the mismatched framerate video, there should be some perceptible level of consistency. With reduced settings and very close to 60fps you can see that real smoothness isn´t there:

Compare how there is a difference to another mismatched fps video using different hardware:

Last edited:
Even with the lack of smoothnes caused for the mismatched framerate video, there should be some perceptible level of consistency. With reduced settings and very close to 60fps you can see that real smoothness isn´t there:
Very close to is not 60FPS. In order to eliminate the uneven framepacing on non VRR displays your framerate must match an integer multiple or division of your refresh rate exactly at all times. Too low and you have frames persisting for 2 or more refresh cycles. Too high and you have uneven motion between frames causing the motion itself to appear stuttery even though you are seeing a new frame for every refresh cycle. Again, it must match exactly. That doesn't mean close...that means...exact. And I really mean exact. Unless you have a VRR display it should be locked using vsync. Anything else will suffer from this. Unless you can't avoid it you shouldn't use framelimiters, because they're just not precise enough (although RTSS is close). And again, you cannot judge framepacing of anything other than 30/60FPS locks from a 60FPS YouTube video. If I record anything running on my machine you're going to say "that real smoothness isn't there"...and looking at the video you'd be right...but not if you were looking at my screen while I'm playing because I'm not using a 60Hz monitor. I'm really starting to doubt you game on PC, because you really ought to know this shit.

lukilladog

Very close to is not 60FPS. In order to eliminate the uneven framepacing on non VRR displays your framerate must match an integer multiple or division of your refresh rate exactly at all times. Too low and you have frames persisting for 2 or more refresh cycles. Too high and you have uneven motion between frames causing the motion itself to appear stuttery even though you are seeing a new frame for every refresh cycle. Again, it must match exactly. That doesn't mean close...that means...exact. And I really mean exact. Unless you have a VRR display it should be locked using vsync. Anything else will suffer from this. Unless you can't avoid it you shouldn't use framelimiters, because they're just not precise enough (although RTSS is close). And again, you cannot judge framepacing of anything other than 30/60FPS locks from a 60FPS YouTube video. If I record anything running on my machine you're going to say "that real smoothness isn't there"...and looking at the video you'd be right...but not if you were looking at my screen while I'm playing because I'm not using a 60Hz monitor. I'm really starting to doubt you game on PC, because you really ought to know this shit.

That applies to both videos I just posted, but you still can tell the second one is running smoother, of course you can see the slight stuttering from the frame mismatch, but it´s not constantly rough like the other one. I think you got lucky with your setup.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Digital Foundry compares input latency on PC compared to Xbox One X. It seems Rockstar has chosen to put more emphasis on animation fluidity and realism over responsiveness. Only during PC first person test at 120fps were significant gains made towards better responsiveness.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I'll never own a decent enough gaming PC so I'm hoping Stadia runs this at highest settings, 4k with no issues.

I guess we'll know tomorrow. Hoping DF do a performance video on it.

Top Bottom