• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 4 Remake First Look: A Classic in the Making? PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X and PC Tested

SeraphJan

Series X wins this one, at least for the demo, but I'm not going to give up VR just for better reflection and sharper grass, still buying the PS5 version

RT is worthless in this game, performance mode with hair on maybe

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Did they mention anything about the PS5 version being a blurry, vaseline coated image?
- On PS5|SX

- Resolution mode: Static 2160p using checker boarding (no DRS spotted)
- Chromatic Aberration is broken on PS5 so DF recommends turning it off even if you like the effect in other games
- Series X version looks notably sharper and more stable, but both have the same resolution even with the effect off. DF thinks its either a difference in TAA or reconstruction.

JackMcGunns

party-dj-khaled.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did they mention anything about the PS5 version being a blurry, vaseline coated image?

Yes, they said that despite the resolution mode running the same pixel count, PS5 seems like it's less stable (more shimmering) and also softer.

In Frame Rate mode, it runs a lower DRS (1440p vs 1728p in the same scene compared). So it's a combination of both a different or worse reconstruction and a lower resolution.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've just checked and turning off "lens distortion" on ps5 REALLY DOES HELP. It removes the vaseline filter.
I turning off CA is not enough. you have to move this whole setting to off.

Graphics mode is still out of the question, rt or not.

but Performance with RT is 95% fine. without RT, it's stable 60.
No hair in any mode because it's too bright.

so ps5 verison is still in question for me.

I wonder if what that one poster claimed about their YTer buddy saying the PS5 version also controls better in the final version was nonsense. Going by what they're reporting it strikes me more as the X version was just even more sluggish and the full game probably simply brings it up to speed with the (imo shitty feeling) PS5 version.

Fbh

Hopefully by the time I pick this up in a few months the Ps5 version has gotten some improvements.
The IQ in the demo was really poor, maybe they can implement FSR or something, I honestly think a native 1440p version without checkerbording or whatever effect is smearing Vaseline all over the screen would be better than this fake 4K

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hopefully by the time I pick this up in a few months the Ps5 version has gotten some improvements.
The IQ in the demo was really poor, maybe they can implement FSR or something, I honestly think a native 1440p version without checkerbording or whatever effect is smearing Vaseline all over the screen would be better than this fake 4K
honestly disabling lens distortion drastically helps. SO strange. why would they even have this

adamsapple

honestly disabling lens distortion drastically helps. SO strange. why would they even have this

Lens distortion simulates the RE 7 look, but I've always hated it.

Glad they let the console guys turn these things off, previously you could only disable them in the PC verison.

Banned
FoxMcChief said:
I’d want the refund, so I can turn around and get the Series X version. I guess I just need to hope that Capcom can fix the lesser PS5 version.

I mean, I'd wait to see if the controls are actually fixed on Xbox in the day 1 version.
all the cleaner graphics in the world can't fix bad playability

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lens distortion simulates the RE 7 look, but I've always hated it.

Glad they let the console guys turn these things off, previously you could only disable them in the PC verison.
It was never this drastic. besides, there is no place for it in 3rd person game especially. Stuff is too small and easy to become mush

Fbh

yeah disabling lens distortion and chromatic aberration helps but even with that this is one of the worst IQ's I've seen on Ps5 (at least of the games I've played). And it doesn't even hold 60fps

Ev1L AuRoN

PC for me. The game looks amazing, but the chromatic aberration is really heavy-handed. It looks like another AMD sponsored game so no DLSS just like RE Village which is disappointing. Thankfully, we have FSR2 this time around so it is not that noticeable, I believe because the game is kinda blurry even at native resolution maybe I should try the checkerboard-rendering.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Why is it this one time only DF actually covers PC? Where is the PC version of every other game in these videos?
They almost always do PC versions after the console versions cuz Alex handles those videos mostly solo.
This wasnt a full analysis and effectively a quick look video.
They literally say its a lets play with analysis talk as they go through the demo.

What recent big games have they skipped the PC versions?

P.S I remember Alex saying on one of the directs if the PC version is super broken in press build its pointless to cover cuz usually a patch arrives week one and all that work is basically thrown away.

Gaiff

I've just checked and turning off "lens distortion" on ps5 REALLY DOES HELP. It removes the vaseline filter.
I turning off CA is not enough. you have to move this whole setting to off.

Graphics mode is still out of the question, rt or not.

but Performance with RT is 95% fine. without RT, it's stable 60.
No hair in any mode because it's too bright.

so ps5 verison is still in question for me.
Probably should just get it on PC. It's easy to run and seems to be a rare case of the PC version not being shit.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Their interlacing is very good. Better than fsr and fsr2.
4k, interlacing, rt off, all to max, 8gb textures and no crashes, stable above 60/70fs.
with RT, I need to fiddle with textures to 2gb but I don't see any difference 2 vs 8gb textures and rt on vs off graphically to be honest

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
yeah disabling lens distortion and chromatic aberration helps but even with that this is one of the worst IQ's I've seen on Ps5 (at least of the games I've played). And it doesn't even hold 60fps

This.

Thing is, is it even fixable via patch ? Honest question, what could they do to remedy this ?
I really can't believe that Capcom screwed this so bad since they're technically proficient 99% of the time.

I'm itching to play it but I'm not willing to give 'em 60 big ones to play it in this state.

Banned
I thought they weren't doing pixel counting anymore?

well they did the pixelcount mainly to see of the PS5 is running at a lower res in resolution mode because it looks worse for some reason.

it doesn't, and so it seems something else is wrong with how their reconstruction and/or Antialiasing is handled on PS5

Last edited:

DavJay

From what I played and if no content is cut, this going to surpass heat gold as best remake ever. Sorry REmake, I still do love you too

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hopefully the day 1 patch or the full game fixed the checkerboard quality or something like that.
And also the dead zone.

onQ123

Jesus christ over half of those shots don't even line up or have the same enemies on the screen etc

This guy is a joke and we know where his preference lies...lays...

All in all, if the controls are fixed I'm doing my first playthrough on xbox. Performance mode with RT. If its not then I'm pc all day.
But what about the average frame rate?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It is really time to rework the engine, re:engine was some of the best engine there was in last gen. But it needs rework or at least this branch of the engine, I don't really buy that this is some improved engine from 8, 8 looks much better and also runs better.

This still really feels like some high-effort fan remake to me, rather than quality I expect from Resident Evil games.

adamsapple

Metacritic put out a new tweet asking for final predictions about RE4make's reviews 4 hours ago.

I guess we'll get reviews tomorrow morning

Portugeezer

VRR deez nuts. Hopefully final version will have stable framerates, we shouldn't be talking about VRR this is 20 year old remake that plays slow a hell.

Top Bottom