• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Super Mario Odyssey - Docked vs Handheld Comparison

Portugeezer

Watching now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt73EVyOBoQ&

Transform me if old.

Preview event build.
  • 900p (locked) when docked
  • 720p (locked) portable
  • Locked 60fps docked and portable (minor random stutters during some menu overlays)
  • Cutscenes run at a lower resolution
  • Some improvements to bloom and LOD settings when docked
  • Improved shadows when docked
  • Better draw distance when docked
  • No AA (possible incorrect observation by DF, some gaffers showing there is some form of AA)
  • Some pop-in on objects
  • Photo mode is 30fps (minor graphical improvements for photo mode)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Yikes. I’ve been on a media blackout and just had a ton spoiled in the first minute. I will wait for a summary.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
900p, nice. I can live with that. But damn, that dithered transparency effect they use looks so fucking bad...

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Great to see it get a bump to 900p.

From now on let's not panic when a first party Switch game is 720p at trade shows even on HDTV's as they seem to just mirror handheld mode in most cases :p

Interesting - apparently the camera mode runs at 30 FPS. Possibly a consequence of having to keep the entire game suspended?

Edit: Ah wait, apparently visual details - including anti-aliasing - get bumped up for the mode. So the game looks better for picture taking.

Sum up:

60FPS in dock and handheld mode with only miniscule (1-2fps) drop occasionally with tutorial videos.

Dock 900p, Handheld 720p. No mention of dynamic resolution.

Hand held uses half resolution (640x720) for cutscenes. No mention of this in docked mode.

Photomode uses higher geometry and slightly better AA solution at 30FPS.

Zedark

Summary:

- 900p/60fps in docked (NO dynamic res)
-720p/60fps in undocked (NO dynamic res)
- Cutscenes in portable mode have the horizontal resolution halved, so cutscenes run at 640px720p (no mention about the same for docked mode)
-Snapshot mode runs at 30fps, but adds AA, expands geometry quality, and improves texture filtering
- Lower res lighting buffer in portable mode
- Shadows in portable mode are lower quality than in docked mode
- The game feels like a game made specifically for the Switch, rather than a transferred Wii U project (jab at Splatoon 2?)

Luigiv

Interesting - apparently the camera mode runs at 30 FPS. Possibly a consequence of having to keep the entire game suspended?

It's done for higher LoDs on the level geometry, so you can take snapshots at maximum detail. Plus maybe AA and improved texture (Tom was unclear on this for some reason).

It's done for higher LoDs on the level geometry, so you can take snapshots at maximum detail.

Yeah, had paused the video just before that explanation as I posted.

Really interesting how Nintendo are navigating around the limitations of the console.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
This is 60? Holy shit, did not expect that with these visuals.

First party Nintendo games punching well, well above their weight on their own hardware as usual.

The video says it's got improved anti aliasing and texture filtering in docked mode over the E3 build as well!

The leap over Mario 3D World in terms of level size, geometric complexity, lighting, shading and textures is staggering. To be able to pull this off means Switch is many, many times more powerful than Wii U even when portable.

I'm really looking forward to seeing games like Metroid Prime 4 aswell as the next Mario Kart, Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion on the system. The last three should all be huge upgrades over the Wii U / 3DS versions as well.

60 fps is the star of the show here. Just to teach this fucking 4k industry thay what matters is 1080p 60 fps. Not higher resolutions with frame rate drops.

Yeah, had paused the video just before that explanation as I posted.

Really interesting how Nintendo are navigating around the limitations of the console.

I don't think this is an uncommon tactic for picture modes in general. They almost always apply additional features they can't do in gameplay. It's free marketing.

Sounds really solid. MK8 in portable mode was already kind of mind blowing, so I’m really looking forward to this (on top of all the other reasons to look forward to the game).

Joqu

It looks waaay better than 3D World. Really good stuff. I'm glad they managed to bump things up to a consistent 900p when docked, I was expecting a dynamic res with 720p lows.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Trying to minimize my spoilers at this point, so thank you to those who posted summaries.

900p/60fps docked sounds good to me!
Though I'll take a Power Dock that guarantees 1080p whenever you've got one, Nintendo.

I'm also glad Nintendo is making sure Photo Mode looks as good as it can.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm planning on playing this mostly docked so was hoping for 1080p. Zelda looked pretty poor on my TV so I'll just have to adjust.

I don't think this is an uncommon tactic for picture modes in general. They almost always apply additional features they can't do in gameplay. It's free marketing.

Oh for sure, but I also mean things like actually altering the visual quality of the game in portable mode beyond a resolution drop. Rather curious what the cut for cutscene resolution means.

They need to add that photo mode to BotW like, months ago.

This game is shaping up to be gorgeous, I can't believe it's only a month away.

Top Bottom