• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Switch Overclocking: How Powerful Is A Fully Unlocked Tegra X1?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Good on them for doing the dirty work for us modders

We had already figured out it was mostly a CPU struggle on the Switch; the main concern I've seen float around the way is killing the battery or other components with heat

There's some nasteh pictures out there of OCed Switches with swelled batterys that make me wonder why the person is even close to it

Some people don't have problems, some do; comes to that environment factor like DF said imo.

DESTROYA

Very interesting results, if anything Nintendo should let us have a performance mode when docked. Richard did show us heat didn’t get that much higher when he OC’d the GPU and CPU .

#Phonepunk#

Banned
totally powerful enough for me.

that said this is pretty interesting. still games run pretty well in general so im not gonna even attempt this.

But, 4-5 deegrees extra for that amount of power docked? Why isn't these the default clocks docked?

It the console life expectancy too hammered by doing this?

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I'd love an upgraded standalone console without the handheld.
I've never asked this of a Switch Pro enthusiast, and I'm genuine with this question; what benefits would you be looking for regarding a Switch Pro?

Not that I want to pick it apart or anything. I just don't understand the later release of "Pro," revisions later in the same life cycle of a device.
I didn't pick up a PS4 Pro, etc.

DESTROYA

I've never asked this of a Switch Pro enthusiast, and I'm genuine with this question; what benefits would you be looking for regarding a Switch Pro?

Not that I want to pick it apart or anything. I just don't understand the later release of "Pro," revisions later in the same life cycle of a device.
Bigger 1080p screen that doesn’t drastically change the size that can do at least 30FPS , you can do pretty that easy by reducing the bezel size and upgrading the SOC with maybe a X2 or Xavier.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Bigger 1080p screen that doesn’t drastically change the size that can do at least 30FPS , you can do pretty that easy by reducing the bezel size and upgrading the SOC with maybe a X2 or Xavier.
I could see them opting in for that later when the chip prices fall down a bit

Though, if you throw an X2/Xavier in it, I would hope they could squeeze the performance to have a screen on it as well, and just downclock for battery life, a la how they're handling it now

DESTROYA

I’d even be fine with a 720P screen as long as it’s of very high quality for portable mode, the screen on the current Switch is very good so just adding a bigger IGZO display would be fine for portable mode. Not to much a difference going from 720P to 1080P on a 7+ inch screen anyway.

Romulus

I understand. I have a big 4k TV, Switch games look absolutely hideous on it compared to my PS4 Pro games. It's not even close. It's expected of course from a hybrid console, but I want to play BoTW 4k or some in-between 1440p checkboard resolution at least.

The sad thing is I play a ton of retro games on the same TV which look worse, but for some reason they get a pass in my mind because they're old. I haven't found a way to convince myself that blurry Switch games are also okay on my TV, maybe because its a modern machine/games.

Last edited:

ookami

It's expected of course from a hybrid console, but I want to play BoTW 4k or some in-between 1440p checkboard resolution at least.
Yeah, well... We don't even have 720p/60fps or 1080p/60fps for some games. 1440p seems like a far too much jump for them right now.

Last edited:

stranno

It the console life expectancy too hammered by doing this?
Google Pixel C use a stock clocked Tegra T210, no active cooling system at all (just a thin conductive foam) and it works perfectly fine. Switch has active cooling so it should hold up well.

Battery tho..

Last edited:

Ceadeus

I would really prefer developers starting to acknowledge the Switch capabilities from the start and quit porting highg end graphic games to the console...

That would be so much more better if we had stability over graphic.

I mean, DQB2 at 8FPS?? who even thought it was a good idea to ship the game like this? If you can't make the port enjoyable, why even bother making it? I've bought it full price and seeing this just blow me away.
90$ in the trash bin, once again.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I would really prefer developers starting to acknowledge the Switch capabilities from the start and quit porting highg end graphic games to the console...

That would be so much more better if we had stability over graphic.
You would have to fight off all the people who think graphics are better than stability in general for that to take place

I mean, DQB2 at 8FPS?? who even thought it was a good idea to ship the game like this? If you can't make the port enjoyable, why even bother making it? I've bought it full price and seeing this just blow me away.
90$ in the trash bin, once again.

Because Square needed the money, since it wouldn't have sold on Xbox One pretty much at all, especially in Japan.

But aren't those drops rare?

Ceadeus

Because Square needed the money, since it wouldn't have sold on Xbox One pretty much at all, especially in Japan.

But aren't those drops rare?

To tell the truth, I've yet to come by these drops. I'm early in the game and I have not came across huge building.

But from the DF video, you see actual footage of him running through what seems to be a city and it's a slide show. The purpose of this type of game usually gives no boundary to the player. So it's quite the objective to go all in and build impressive stuff.

Money is a poor excuse imo. It's like every type of industry could excuse their fault using this argument? Sorry for selling this cheaply assembled car at full price, but our company need the money....

At the very least, sell the port at a lower cost! I remember buying Ninja gaiden 1 and 2 for Vita. I knew I was not gonna get 60fps. But I also knew I was not paying for a full price title either. 29.99$ perfect price for what I've got.

Last edited:

scydrex

I'd love an upgraded standalone console without the handheld.

I would buy it right away if not when the Tegra 2 version of the Switch comes out or the new Tegra whatever. I would love an upgraded standalone console too. No display, no battery, better cooling.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I understand. I have a big 4k TV, Switch games look absolutely hideous on it compared to my PS4 Pro games. It's not even close. It's expected of course from a hybrid console, but I want to play BoTW 4k or some in-between 1440p checkboard resolution at least.

The sad thing is I play a ton of retro games on the same TV which look worse, but for some reason they get a pass in my mind because they're old. I haven't found a way to convince myself that blurry Switch games are also okay on my TV, maybe because its a modern machine/games.

That sucks man. My TV upscales the Switch beautifully.

The frame drops are another issue, though.

Romulus

That sucks man. My TV upscales the Switch beautifully.

The frame drops are another issue, though.

Upscaling is nowhere near native though, mine does the same and it just still ends up looking blurry by comparison. The frame drops too are pretty hard on most games.

Last edited:
To tell the truth, I've yet to come by these drops. I'm early in the game and I have not came across huge building.

But from the DF video, you see actual footage of him running through what seems to be a city and it's a slide show. The purpose of this type of game usually gives no boundary to the player. So it's quite the objective to go all in and build impressive stuff.

Money is a poor excuse imo. It's like every type of industry could excuse their fault using this argument? Sorry for selling this cheaply assembled car at full price, but our company need the money....

At the very least, sell the port at a lower cost! I remember buying Ninja gaiden 1 and 2 for Vita. I knew I was not gonna get 60fps. But I also knew I was not paying for a full price title either. 29.99$ perfect price for what I've got.
I'd say the argument is fair. This is weird I know because of how much money Minecraft has made, but unlike that game Dragon Quest is a AAA IP.

Where I'm getting at is it's better we got a cheaply assembled car that'll get the job done (Switch) than assemble even more cheap parts for a car that won't even sell at all (Xbox One). That's why I believe the "money" argument works.

But believe me... I can't stand the "it's a business! They have to make money" strawman, either. All it is is an excuse.

Top Bottom