• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry to stop counting Pixels in 2022.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
They don't say that, they say it's significantly below 533p. Might even be 300-400p mark for all we know.. they haven't revealed the actual number as of yet.
It was just an example, not talking about any specific game, but you're talking about metro exodua yes?

To be fair I only watched for the performance aspect for PC ports as well as stuff for PS5, I play most of the single player stuff on PS5 because I like to buy physical games, I mainly use the PC now for MMOs and replaying older titles.

As long as I know if the targeted resolution actually hits that and performs well I'm fine with their videos.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

There will always be foolishness for clowns to jump Hopps though.

"Ha this game dropped 1 frame during the cut scene on this platform"

"ah the uber power of this IO gives this game on this platform a 3 second load time advantage"

clintar

They updated their article with some new pixel counts. Initially Alex said it was below 720p, but some time since the article and video went up, they updated the article with the 533p figure saying it significantly goes below 533p at times.

I have no idea why they are shying away from numbers below 533p when they said they would still continue to count switch resolutions that hit this low of a pixel count. Who says below 533p anyway? Why cant you just give an actual minimum pixel count?

Below 533p? Do you even need 2 hands to count them pixels?

Calculate Figure It Out GIF by funk

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Its pointless to count pixels with these new consoles and all the upscaling techniques.
Basically they should only focus on settings and framerate.
Pixel counts are basically useless when "1080p" games can look as good as 1800 or even 2160p games from an IQ standpoint.
I hope other pixel counters abandon it as well.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Interesting that they are basically taking away the one metric where XSX would probably show an advantage in a lot of games over the coming gen. And yet people think they are Xbox biased.

Well if it stops 20 page threads of warring, its for the best.

Or not cover the fact that most AAA games have very similar resolutions, proving that the XSX advantage isn't showing itself that much in the real world?.....

hlm666

AA and Upscaling artifacts will take it's place, this shimmers more while stationary or this breaks up while in motion more. That will loop back into framerate 30fps sucks because 60fps has less motion artifacts etc.

coffinbirth

- With checkerboarding, TSR, DLSS, and FSR, there is really no need to look at the native resolution.

Is this a joke?
If they actually said this, wowzers.

Kagey K

Banned
After that Matrix demo, it proves they are fucking near impossible to count as every frame will come back different depending on where you count.

I can't blame them, these new engines are pulling some nice tricks and you can manipulate the data as you see fit.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Interesting that they are basically taking away the one metric where XSX would probably show an advantage in a lot of games over the coming gen. And yet people think they are Xbox biased.

Well if it stops 20 page threads of warring, its for the best.
They could've been done really, seeing as how you need to zoom in to get any kind of difference with these higher resolutions

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Once Sony gets VRR down those go away too.

Thank fuck.

I haven't seen a frame drop or screen tear in 3 or so years, but apparently it's still a big deal here.
It's not a big deal. vrr is close to pointless on ps5 as most games hold 30 and 60 very well with very few exceptions.
Maybe bigger deal for 120fps modes for sure.

Anyway - I hope devs won't start relaying on vrr instead of targeting stable framerate

It's not a big deal. vrr is close to pointless on ps5 as most games hold 30 and 60 very well with very few exceptions.

Anyway - I hope devs won't start relaying on vrr instead of targeting stable framerate

This is a very dumb take and one I’m quite frankly sick of seeing. This kind of moronic misinformation does nothing but hurt the dialogue.

VRR is a game changer if it wasn’t you wouldn’t have seen the display industry clamor to make it a standard feature.

Just because your preferred toy doesn’t have it says nothing about the tech. Stop speaking about things about which you have no knowledge.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This is a very dumb take and one I’m quite frankly sick of seeing. This kind of moronic misinformation does nothing but hurt the dialogue.

VRR is a game changer if it wasn’t you wouldn’t have seen the display industry clamor to make it a standard feature.

Just because your preferred toy doesn’t have it says nothing about the tech. Stop speaking about things about which you have no knowledge.
Excuse me?!!!!
What's wrong with my take? Console games are 30 or 60fps mainly. I am not wrong in that.
I didn't said any misinformation or moronic thing in my post. It's facts. Maybe You are a moron for confusing facts.
I am using vrr for 10 years. I know what it is and how it works. It is essential on pc but on console? Not at all in current state...

preferred toy? I have a 3080 pc you moron. I use gsync oled every day. I a big proponent for this tech and I always was.
It's just not end all, be all on consoles. How would it help with locked fps games you genius ?!
I don't give a fuck if ps5 gets vrr. it won't change anything with games I play. not a single difference. I would more benefit from 120hz mode (with 30 or 60fps locked) than stupid vrr which will do nothing. Maybe it will reduce lag for 30 or 60fps locked games or maybe not. We don't know how ps5 handles vsync ceiling etc.

Thank god you are here. A man of knowledge. Everyone else is an idiot !!!!

skit_data

Lol, DF stops resolution counting only a year after Series X supreme 12TF of pixel pushing power launches.
The Sony ninjas got to em!
/s

Seriously though, thank god. I look forward to it, the differences are so neglible nowadays. The only time I want to know would be in cases where it severely impacts the IQ as a whole.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So they'll be irrelevant.
It's kinda hard to ignore Resolution if one game has slight drops because it's rendering 20-30% more pixels

I agree that it might not be a big deal on PS5 due to VRR having a bigger impact on 120fps games, when so few games even offer it on the PS5 to begin with.
Excuse me?!!!!
What's wrong with my take? Console games are 30 or 60fps mainly. I am not wrong in that.
I didn't said any misinformation or moronic thing in my post. It's facts. Maybe You are a moron for confusing facts.
I am using vrr for 10 years. I know what it is and how it works. It is essential on pc but on console? Not at all in current state...

preferred toy? I have a 3080 pc you moron. I use gsync oled every day. I a big proponent for this tech and I always was.
It's just not end all, be all on consoles. How would it help with locked fps games you genius ?!
I don't give a fuck if ps5 gets vrr. it won't change anything with games I play. not a single difference. I would more benefit from 120hz mode (with 30 or 60fps locked) than stupid vrr which will do nothing. Maybe it will reduce lag for 30 or 60fps locked games or maybe not. We don't know how ps5 handles vsync ceiling etc.

Thank god you are here. A man of knowledge. Everyone else is an idiot !!!!
I think he was maybe referring more to the overall recent trend of people downplaying VRR. Either way, the tone of this post compared to the previous one is entirely different.

You dismiss VRR as a whole in your first post, by saying
"Anyway- I hope devs won't start relaying on vrr instead of targeting stable framerate"

Only to turn around in the next post and say "I am using vrr for 10 years. I know what it is and how it works. It is essential on pc but on console? Not at all in current state..." as well as "I a big proponent for this tech and I always was.
It's just not end all, be all on consoles."

You didn't say anything about "the end all, be all" in your first post. You clearly said "it's not a big deal" and that it's "close to pointless". Those are two significantly different views you're arguing from on a single point.

Not trying to bust your chops, but c'mon. You say it's pointless one minute, and are concerned about devs relying on it. But the very next you're a big proponent of the tech and have been using it for 10 years. Yeah, of course there's differences between a console and pc, but you can't sit there and pretend the same game played on both platforms is so entirely different that it's "essential" on one, while being "almost pointless" on the other.

Ultra Donny

I'm so feed up with DF and other analysts of games. To me it's like listening to audiophiles talk about music. Completely pointless. One of my best gaming experiences was Witcher 3 on Xbox one. 900 p and sub 30 FPS, another is Resident evil 4 on PS2. The atmosphere and feeling the game is what I remember not the pixel count. I can understand that some people find the tech interesting (me as well to some degree), but it's weird that people use these videos as a way to judge if a game is good or not.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I agree that it might not be a big deal on PS5 due to VRR having a bigger impact on 120fps games, when so few games even offer it on the PS5 to begin with.

I think he was maybe referring more to the overall recent trend of people downplaying VRR. Either way, the tone of this post compared to the previous one is entirely different.

You dismiss VRR as a whole in your first post, by saying
"Anyway- I hope devs won't start relaying on vrr instead of targeting stable framerate"

Only to turn around in the next post and say "I am using vrr for 10 years. I know what it is and how it works. It is essential on pc but on console? Not at all in current state..." as well as "I a big proponent for this tech and I always was.
It's just not end all, be all on consoles."

You didn't say anything about "the end all, be all" in your first post. You clearly said "it's not a big deal" and that it's "close to pointless". Those are two significantly different views you're arguing from on a single point.

Not trying to bust your chops, but c'mon. You say it's pointless one minute, and are concerned about devs relying on it. But the very next you're a big proponent of the tech and have been using it for 10 years. Yeah, of course there's differences between a console and pc, but you can't sit there and pretend the same game played on both platforms is so entirely different that it's "essential" on one, while being "almost pointless" on the other.
I am using it on pc because pc games are usually not locked. So I can get whatever fps I need.
Consoles have the advantage and disadvantage of having targets and locked settings or framerate.

sinnergy

Once Sony gets VRR down those go away too.

Thank fuck.

I haven't seen a frame drop or screen tear in 3 or so years, but apparently it's still a big deal here.
They will find something; visual clarity wars!
Post processing wars! You name it !

Texture wars! RT wars! Look these reflections are softer, Lightening Wars! Just gave DF material for decades !

assurdum

Banned
Nonsense move. More the time pass, and more this channel is less tech oriented. I mean you can talk of native pixels. Now if you try to sell the idea such difference is fundamental (their past obsession) that's opinable and not relevant for the discussion (another story is whether such difference is really noticeable). Anyway a tech channel should be about provide tech data not about declare the winner, which was their main issue from awhile. Maybe they chosen this approach for such reason, but the problem aren't the tech data but how you present it.

Last edited:

skit_data

😂 Yeap, that’s why they, and I quote, are stopping counting pixels to not offend the losing side. The side that can’t render 8K. Holy Moly. People and their wars.
Like for like, and the The Touryst comparison was way more recent than Hitman 3. It can’t be coincidental.

I hope the mods see that we are all joking around, because we are right?

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Well.. id like to know if the game runs smoothly at 1080p vs 1440p and a few dips. Ill still take 1440p.

Just saying it runs 'smooth' at 1080p or something less isnt appealing to me. Resolution still matters.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I think after Hitman 3 they have been heading this way, results probably upset a lot of their audience.

You keep bringing up that game (sorry sure it's a good game), but it's not graphically advanced or something. Why couldn't Hitman 3 on the XSX achieve a better and stable FPS overall if the console is "so" much more powerful? It had and i think still has bad frame pacing issues and overall lower fps. 1800p vs what native 4K with almost no real difference in quality.

Hitman 3 is not a benchmark for the future since none of the other released games showed the same. It wasn't even a big difference at all in the end. Hitman 3 showed that it was engine related and not really good optimized on both platforms. I bet the next hitman will show completely different results since that one will be for sure....only next-gen.

Riky

$MSFT
You keep bringing up that game (sorry sure it's a good game), but it's not graphically advanced or something. Why couldn't Hitman 3 on the XSX achieve a better and stable FPS overall if the console is "so" much more powerful? It had and i think still has bad frame pacing issues and overall lower fps. 1800p vs what native 4K with almost no real difference in quality.

Hitman 3 is not a benchmark for the future since none of the other released games showed the same. It wasn't even a big difference at all in the end. Hitman 3 showed that it was engine related and not really good optimized on both platforms. I bet the next hitman will show completely different results since that one will be for sure....only next-gen.

We've been through this before but the difference between the machines is 17% and the difference in resolution was over 40% plus higher shadow settings on Xbox. A few framerate drops when hiding is some grass on one level is pretty irrelevant.
We've also seen big differences in other games like Doom Eternal and Metro Exodus.

You can't say Hitman 3 wasn't well optimized when it is one of the few games to run at 4k 60 without DRS.

But this has all been stated before.

Top Bottom