• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Uncharted - The Lost Legacy PS4/Pro First Look

ViciousDS

Banned
Cannot.

Fucking.

Wait.

I have searched high and low for all things HDR since buying my C7 first week of June, and UC4 in HDR is the single most impressive thing I've seen yet, TV/games/movies/anything.

It really looks that good. And for native 1440p, it's hard to find a whiff of aliasing on Pro.

8-10 hrs is perfect so I can roll onto Xcom 2 DLC on the 29th. August is shaping up nicely indeed.

I get my C7 this saturday, you got me all giddy

JWiLL

Banned
Horizon...Lost Legacy...TLOU 2.

The only games that will make me revert my PS4 back to a console from it's current status as a coaster while I game on PC.

Based Naughty Gods.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Easily. When the publisher decides to sell it as part of a package (season pass or UC4 digital deluxe edition) and also sell it on its own outside of the package (retail release).

But they are not selling it as part of the season pass since they expanded it. It's not the same product it was a year ago. It is not DLC.

Isn't this basically the same as TLOU: Left Behind content. Was that considered DLC or Standalone game? I'm not sure because I picked up the Remastered edition which came with everything.

Gurish

Uncharted 4 left a really bad taste in my mouth with it's garbage story so this is the first Naughty Dog game in years that I'm having doubts over picking up. It's cheaper than a full release but it sounds like it'll be the length of a full release, so that's good, but they've already dropped the ball with the franchise, imho.

Garbage story? like seriously dude it's Uncharted, none of the games had any amazing stories, if I'll highlight the story of each game in the series they all sound dumb and garbage.

This series is know for its characters, and the writing and dialogues/ banters, and UC4 got those in spades.

No one ever suggested that the story of any of the games was ever good, even TLOU's story isn't anything special and it's the writing and characters that make that game a masterpiece in storytelling.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
MaximusPayne said:
Isn't this basically the same as TLOU: Left Behind content. Was that considered DLC or Standalone game?
It's playable standalone - but it was 15$ by itself IIRC, considerably shorter too, closer to 1-2 episodes of a Telltale game in length.

Isn't this basically the same as TLOU: Left Behind content. Was that considered DLC or Standalone game? I'm not sure because I picked up the Remastered edition which came with everything.

Left Behind was a short bit of DLC, great but only a few hours long. It was included in the remaster as a bonus.

The Lost Legacy is a basically a full Uncharted game, somewhere around 8 hours long. It was going to be DLC but ND decided to make it a bigger thing and release it separately, although you can download it if you got the U4 season pass.

black070

It's part of the season pass. It's meaty DLC and will be sold as stand alone, but it's still DLC.

Season pass owners don't need to feel like are "getting a steal" for something they paid for and had not been delivered for over a year.

I paid for an expanaion ala Left Behind as had been advertised/promised with a price to reflect that (£10), instead I am getting a full blown standalone release on the scale and with the lenght of a new entry - I'd consider that a steal.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Well...no, not exactly. It's the season pass it self that has been pulled. Lost legacy remains part of the season pass package.

Because ND chose to honour the original price, which was a nice gesture on their part.

It WAS DLC,

It's NOT anymore

I can't even understand why you would want to argue this point, it's black and white

Vashetti

Banned
Guys, TLL is not DLC. Full stop.

It's a standalone client, regardless of whether you buy it physically or digitally.

It doesn't require the UC4 client and isn't DLC for it.

TLL has the UC4 MP included with it. Because it's a separate client and not DLC to UC4.

It's playable standalone - but it was 15$ by itself IIRC, considerably shorter too, closer to 1-2 episodes of a Telltale game in length.

Left Behind was a short bit of DLC, great but only a few hours long. It was included in the remaster as a bonus.

The Lost Legacy is a basically a full Uncharted game, somewhere around 8 hours long. It was going to be DLC but ND decided to make it a bigger thing and release it separately, although you can download it if you got the U4 season pass.

So being devil's advocate here, does the length of the game and price have a lot to do with if it's DLC or not?

I get that it's a physical release but it is included with season passes.

TLL has the UC4 MP included with it. Because it's a separate client and not DLC to UC4.

If this is true, this guy just answered the question. Multiplayer coming with the release kind of makes it its own thing.

Markitron

So being devil's advocate here, does the length of the game and price have a lot to do with if it's DLC or not?

I'm not sure where exactly the cut-off is but:

Physical release
Doesn't require original game
Self contained story
Full length game
$40 price point

Add to this the fact that they had to hire actors and record a shitload of MoCap. All of these combined make it a spin-off. Meaty DLC is more along the lines of Blood and Wine. And just to reiterate, it is not available with the season pass. It was available with the season pass with when it was a different product. ND were cool enough to honour their offer for DLC. A lesser dev could have just kept to the original plan or chopped in in half and charged season pass holders for the rest of it.

Depends on how you view it really. It was planned to be DLC for U4 originally, then they decided to make it it's own game, but didn't want to screw the people who got the season pass.

It doesn't launch with from within Uncharted 4's menu though and you don't need to own Uncharted 4 to play and includes the full Uncharted MP, so it is a standalone game.

I paid for an expanaion ala Left Behind as had been advertised/promised with a price to reflect that (£10), instead I am getting a full blown standalone release on the scale and with the lenght of a new entry - I'd consider that a steal.

When could you ever buy Lost Legacy for a tenner?

Because ND chose to honour the original price, which was a nice gesture on their part.

Nice gesture? If they did not honor the price they would have to:

1) Create another piece of single player DLC in it's place

2) Refund all season pass and/or Digital deluxe edition holders a portion or all of the price of their respective purchases.

I'm not sure where exactly the cut-off is but:

Physical release
Doesn't require original game
Self contained story
Full length game
$40 price point

Add to this the fact that they had to hire actors and record a shitload of MoCap. All of these combined make it a spin-off. Meaty DLC is more along the lines of Blood and Wine. And just to reiterate, it is not available with the season pass. It was available with the season pass with when it was a different product. ND were cool enough to honour their offer for DLC. A lesser dev could have just kept to the original plan or chopped in in half and charged season pass holders for the rest of it.

There is no more season pass for UC4, you can no longer purchase it. When it was, Lost legacy was definitely a part of the package.

Interesting that you mention CDPR, because if they were a lesser dev they could have said "we've increased the scope of Blood and Wine so we're going to spin it off and raise the price while also eliminating a way for you to purchase the previously available season pass at a lower price........."

Shin-Ra

The light outline where Chloe's body breaks the water surface is one potentially new rendering feature I noticed in yesterday's video.

ZoFq1rN.gif

Wish they created a more convincing splash effect than the flat translucent billboard splashes, which also aren't very TAA-compatible, with smearing.

Markitron

When could you ever buy Lost Legacy for a tenner?

Nice gesture? If they did not honor the price they would have to:

1) Create another piece of single player DLC in it's place

2) Refund all season pass and/or Digital deluxe edition holders a portion or all of the price of their respective purchases.

There is no more season pass for UC4, you can no longer purchase it. When it was, Lost legacy was definitely a part of the package.

Interesting that you mention CDPR, because if they were a lesser dev they could have said "we've increased the scope of Blood and Wine so we're going to spin it off and raise the price while also eliminating a way for you to purchase the previously available season pass at a lower price........."

You can keep ignoring my points and keep posting the same out of date information all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that lost Legacy is not and never was DLC in its current form. To be honest I'm not sure why it bothers you so much.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Don't look at the comments. A cesspool of Sony fanboys and PC fanboys going at it

You can keep ignoring my points and keep posting the same out of date information all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that lost Legacy is not and never was DLC in its current form. To be honest I'm not sure why it bothers you so much.

I'm not ignoring your points and unless you work at ND you don't know what the original form was.

It bothers me because I don't want to see the start of a trend where season pass prices increase after the fact (Fallout 4) or are pulled and/or replaced (UC4/Lost Legacy) with more expensive content.

As for the game it self. I'm excited to play it.

Also, thanks. I appreciated the healthy discussion.

The digital deluxe edition was only £10 more on the PS Store. :)

That was a great deal then. It was $20 more here in the U.S.

Markitron

I'm not ignoring your points and unless you work at ND you don't know what the original form was.

It bothers me because I don't want to see the start of a trend where season pass prices increase after the fact (Fallout 4) or are pulled and/or replaced (UC4/Lost Legacy) with more expensive content.

As for the game it self. I'm excited to play it.

Also, thanks. I appreciated the healthy discussion.

That was a great deal then. It was $20 more here in the U.S.

I don't need to have worked in ND to know what the original form was. They told us. It was a short added piece of story DLC, much like Left Behind, and the original price reflected that.

If you genuinely think what they are doing here is something to be concerned about then you must not be following the industry for very long, as this is easily one of the most Pro-consumer moves I have ever seen.

I don't need to have worked in ND to know what the original form was. They told us. It was a short added piece of story DLC, much like Left Behind, and the original price reflected that.

If you genuinely think what they are doing here is something to be concerned about then you must not be following the industry for very long, as this is easily one of the most Pro-consumer moves I have ever seen.

Nah, I'm good.

Markitron

Nah, I'm good.

Just so we're straight: A company promises a piece of DLC and sells it for $10-15 as part of a season pass. They later expand this DLC into a full spin off game which they are charging $40 for, but still honour the season pass holders and give them the full game for the original price, and you think this is a bad thing?

Exactly who has lost anything in this venture? The people that bought the season pass are getting what they paid for and then some, and everyone else is getting a fully featured Uncharted game for $40. You are literally the only person on GAF that I have seen take issue with this.

First you were claiming it was just DLC and not a full game and now you are worried about people getting ripped off with season passes. Exactly what point are you trying to make?

production value und detail (especially seen in the material quality) to me looks much rougher than in U4. animation and foliage density seem on par though.

hyped nontheless.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just so we're straight: A company promises a piece of DLC and sells it for $10-15 as part of a season pass. They later expand this DLC into a full spin off game which they are charging $40 for, but still honour the season pass holders and give them the full game for the original price, and you think this is a bad thing?

Exactly who has lost anything in this venture? The people that bought the season pass are getting what they paid for and then some, and everyone else is getting a fully featured Uncharted game for $40. You are literally the only person on GAF that I have seen take issue with this.

First you were claiming it was just DLC and not a full game and now you are worried about people getting ripped off with season passes. Exactly what point are you trying to make?
I'm bumping this because I also want to understand what point they were making. It simply does not make any sense at all.

THE-JUV

I'm bumping this because I also want to understand what point they were making. It simply does not make any sense at all.

yeah so are the people complaining saying they would have preferred that ND just stuck with making a 2 hr DLC and selling it as originally planned versus the situation we just got?

because honestly to get a new uncharted story in 1 year that's going to take me 8 hrs to complete, despite being more expensive, I would gladly take 10 times out of 10 versus their original DLC plan. Plus, like already stated, everyone who committed money to ND for what was to be standard DLC are now getting way more than that for the standard DLC price. I myself would have bought the promo package that was cheaper that came with all DLC but I wanted a physical copy, so I decided to pay the extra since I know what I am getting is basically a full game in one month's time

Markitron

It's a strange one alright. Looking forward to the full breakdown btw, will you be doing that one as well?

£25 quid for this multiplayer access and Jak and daxter ps2 classic is a bargain to be fair.

I mean you could remove the MP and Jak and it would still be a steal.

Markitron

I may have picked up the digital deluxe but don't remember, is there a way to tell?

Go into the store and see if it will let you pre order The Lost Legacy. Or you could just check your purchase/download history

My point is this. Giving season pass owners Lost legacy should be expected. It is not possibly the most pro consumer thing ever seen as the person you are quoting has said.

It's not even a nice "gesture" what else would they have done?

To me, and I could be the only one, the single player content was the backbone of the season pass/digital deluxe edition. Why in the world should I commend ND for fulfilling their promise on money they collected a year ago?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
On prime day last year the season pass was mistakenly priced 5€ in Germany and Amazon honored it, aww yiss 😎

Markitron

My point is this. Giving season pass owners Lost legacy should be expected. It is not possibly the most pro consumer thing ever seen as the person you are quoting has said.

It's not even a nice "gesture" what else would they have done?

They could have either offered them a refund or offered to deduct the $15 off of the price of the full game. Alternatively they could have just shat out any old 2 hour POS and called it a day (like almost every other dev would have), but instead they expanded it to a full game knowing well they had already sold it to most of it's target audience for less than its worth.

If this is your minimum expectation of a developer/publisher then I imagine you would have completely boycotted all of Ubisoft, EA and Activision's games.

To me, and I could be the only one, the single player content was the backbone of the season pass/digital deluxe edition. Why in the world should I commend ND for fulfilling their promise on money they collected a year ago?

They didn't just fulfill their promise, which was a 2 hour add on, they went above and beyond and delivered a full length game. If you don't see what is commendable there then you are extremely short sighted.

Top Bottom