• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Uncharted - The Lost Legacy PS4/Pro First Look

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
8-10 hours almost sounds too long for this. As in, I don't want it to be padded with too much fluff and walk/talk sequences like Uncharted 4. Game seriously outstayed it's welcome.

Hopefully the 8-10 hours is for those who are taking their time playing it.

8-10 hours almost sounds too long for this. As in, I don't want it to be padded with too much fluff and walk/talk sequences like Uncharted 4. Game seriously outstayed it's welcome.

How does it sound too long?

My point is this. Giving season pass owners Lost legacy should be expected. It is not possibly the most pro consumer thing ever seen as the person you are quoting has said.

It's not even a nice "gesture" what else would they have done?

To me, and I could be the only one, the single player content was the backbone of the season pass/digital deluxe edition. Why in the world should I commend ND for fulfilling their promise on money they collected a year ago?

Because they're honouring the season pass holders rather than doing what most companies would do.

Top long? You best not play Witcher 3.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
How does it sound too long?

It's a perception thing I guess. I'd go into this expecting a short expansion on Uncharted 4. So from that perspective, 8-10 hours sounds too long for what I expect this is. But I prefer short games. I Platinumed Uncharted 4 but doing so was a chore. Even trying to rush that game it was still really really long.

Top long? You best not play Witcher 3.

I wouldn't. I try to avoid overly long games generally speaking. There are exceptions of course.

brawly

Yeah, that's why I'll wait. Need to know the pacing first.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It's a perception thing I guess. I'd go into this expecting a short expansion on Uncharted 4.

They have been clear for a while about what LL is, but if you didn't like UC4 that much then this probably isn't gonna float your boat.

They could have either offered them a refund or offered to deduct the $15 off of the price of the full game, which is what a lot of people might have done. Alternatively they could have just shat out any old 2 hour POS and call it a day, but instead they expanded it to a full game knowing well they had already sold it to most of it's target audience for less than its worth.

If this is your minimum expectation of a developer/publisher then I imagine you would have completely boycotted all of Ubisoft, EA and Activision's games.

They didn't just fulfill their promise, which was a 2 hour add on, they went above and beyond and delivered a full length game, if you don't see what is commendable there then you are extremely short sighted.

They never promised a 2hr add on stop it. And c'mon now. A discount? The season pass was also sold at retail as well. How would you communicate to every season pass owner that they aren't getting content but instead, a $20/25 coupon?

It would have been a refund/credit.

And no. I do not buy season passes from any of those companies. I was drawn to UC4's season pass because I thought that Left Behind was fantastic as an add-on and expected the same/better for UC4's single player expansion.

Because they're honouring the season pass holders rather than doing what most companies would do.

When CDPR delayed Blood and Wine for scope and polish, they still managed to put out a 30hr+ expansion and did not ask for a cent more than what you paid for with the season pass.

It's a perception thing I guess. I'd go into this expecting a short expansion on Uncharted 4. So from that perspective, 8-10 hours sounds too long for what I expect this is. But I prefer short games. I Platinumed Uncharted 4 but doing so was a chore. Even trying to rush that game it was still really really long.
It could be that your expectations are off. I'm not sure though since there is confusion around the whole DLC/expansion/standalone thing.

I guess you're worried that they expanded it from the usual DLC (4-6 hours) to 8-10 with fluff? I guess that is possible but I find it unlikely. UC1 wasn't all that long to me but we have to take pacing into account too.

Can't wait for this. Don't want a lot of cutscenes, want combat or climbing/exploring. I dread the "young nate" portions of UC4 when I do another play-through. There are way too many tedious gameplay segments in UC4.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
And c'mon now. A discount? The season pass was also sold at retail as well. How would you communicate to every season pass owner that they aren't getting content but instead, a $20/25 coupon?

It would have been a refund/credit.

I said it would be an option between the two, giving people the choice. I also noticed you completely disregarded the third option I mentioned which was by far the most likely. Here, let me post it again:

Alternatively they could have just shat out any old 2 hour POS and call it a day, but instead they expanded it to a full game knowing well they had already sold it to most of it's target audience for less than its worth

They never promised a 2hr add on stop it.

This is a quote directly from Arne Meyer not long after they announced a SP add-on, I'll bold the relevant parts to make them less easier to ignore

It worked really well for us for The Last of Us. We thought we could put together a really great piece of content as well. Left Behind was a really great addition. It's one of those thing when talking about Uncharted we said, ‘Wouldn't it be great to make another story DLC? Does it fit into the story?' and that sort of thing. I think we rose to the challenge for The Last of Us and decided to take another shot at it

Does any of this suggest to you they were planning an 8 hour game, completely disconnected from the main game? This indicates they intended to make a smaller add-on much like Left Behind, and they priced it as such. But even if you choose to ignore this, what benefit would it be to them if they had intended the opposite as you seem to suggest?

I will stop replying to you when you give me a single good reason to justify your negativity towards this. I'll remind you that this started with you handwaving away an 8 hour standalone game as merely DLC.

When CDPR delayed Blood and Wine for scope and polish, they still managed to put out a 30hr+ expansion and did not ask for a cent more than what you paid for with the season pass.

So? ND also did not ask more from people that paid for the season pass, what are you even talking about? CDPR were rightly commended for their expansions. They also could have easily released it separately but chose to go another way as they wanted to add to their vast open world.

What has this got to do with LL?

Looks like more of Uncharted 4 alright, which means I'll pass. Visually of course very impressive, but gameplay (or perhaps more accurately the pacing) looks like a chore.

hesido

Dont understand the complaint that it should not be to long...

For me, give me more of this beauty!

I remember getting really bored of UC4 navigation sections where you find a way up with a character and pull the rest of the characters. The same gameplay filler scenario was brought up many times. Of I might just be making things up!

The digital deluxe edition was only £10 more on the PS Store. :)

When was that? The DDE was £15 more at release.

I guess you're worried that they expanded it from the usual DLC (4-6 hours) to 8-10 with fluff? I guess that is possible but I find it unlikely. UC1 wasn't all that long to me but we have to take pacing into account too.

I actually talked about this with a friend last night. Having seen the latest footage, the bolded might just be true. Comparing it to U:DF (or U2/U3 for that matter) in length is fine and all, but maybe we shouldn't expect the same sort of snappy pacing in the same amount of time. The larger levels and optional objectives could very well account for stretching out what could have originally been a 5 hour game to 8-9 hours or so. I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing (though i'm sure it will be for some), i'm just trying to readjust my expectations. I think going in with the expectation of a similarly paced and varied experience as with U1-3 based on playtime alone might lead to some disappointment. I'm still really looking forward to it and i'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Oh no. This confirms what I said multiple times. Sony always scamps their PS4 PRO implemenations and are the worse who does it. Even some multiplatform games do it better. I expected things to change after almost one year. It seems Sony forces parity between PS4 and PS4 PRO so they won't make the base version look outdated. A very bad way to promote the PS4 PRO.

BHK3

Banned
From the uncharted website

Will Uncharted: The Lost Legacy support the PlayStation 4 Pro?

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy will be enhanced for the PlayStation 4 Pro, including support for High Dynamic Range (HDR) and dynamic 4K gaming.

Guess just not doing anything at all to improve the pro support is the same thing as what they wrote :/

Bioshocker

Looking good as expected. After Uncharted 4 I felt I was done with the franchise. But since this is just 40€ I'll pick it up.

The problem with 1440p is the same with 1080p. When playing them on a 4K TV, you get noisy effects and grains running along all the screen since the screen tries to fill the gap of a much lower output resolution to match the greater resiolution of the 4K screen.
You can barely notice this if the resolution was 1800p chekcerboard and 2160p checkerboard completely solves this.
I can't understand how Horizon: Zero Dawn which is a very demanding open world game, managed to run at 2160p chekcerboard with some details improved while this Uncharted, which is released after can't do the same solution.

Chloe isn't mulch of a character even though Claudia Black's performance of her is quite good. I'm really hoping she's made compelling enough to anchor an entire game.

Sygma

Looks much more colorful than UC4 and apparently they have some crazy set pieces going on, cant wait. Thought that the pacing of Uncharted 4 was actually well done in regard of the main theme of the game ... aslong as there's no horrible suppression effect in gunfights again ill be happy

Markitron

Yeah, agreed. It's a shame. I have no idea what towering standard U4's story doesn't match according to these people.

There are people on GAF that think TLOU has a garbage story as well, I mean it's cool if you don't like it, but it makes me wonder if these people have played many games at all. I think the fact that UC4 and TLOU aim a little higher make them easier targets to the point where some people lose all critical perspective on issues like story in a game.

Neith

Banned
Yeah, agreed. It's a shame. I have no idea what towering standard U4's story doesn't match according to these people.

The story is the most well-written piece of entertainment ND has done next to TLOU. People are just being pretentious dickbags if you ask me.

Markitron

Looks great, already preordered. I hope its at least ~6-8h long. Also got jak&daxter so it's a good deal for 40€ I think.

Where did you pre-order? PSN store I assume?

Amazon UK have it for £25, with another £2 off if you are a Prime member. Mine is working out at 27€ delivered to Ireland.

The problem with 1440p is the same with 1080p. When playing them on a 4K TV, you get noisy effects and grains running along all the screen since the screen tries to fill the gap of a much lower output resolution to match the greater resiolution of the 4K screen.
You can barely notice this if the resolution was 1800p chekcerboard and 2160p checkerboard completely solves this.
I can't understand how Horizon: Zero Dawn which is a very demanding open world game, managed to run at 2160p chekcerboard with some details improved while this Uncharted, which is released after can't do the same solution.

You could be right that they are not giving enough time to it, but perhaps checkerboarding just does not work well in the UC4 renderer for some reason? Artistic or performance wise?

Maybe they do not like checkerboard artifacts when the camera moves, maybe their fully deferred engine makes the cost of any resolution beyond 1440p too high for PS4pro, maybe etc. etc.

Markitron

You could be right that they are not giving enough time to it, but perhaps checkerboarding just does not work well in the UC4 renderer for some reason? Artistic or performance wise?

Maybe they do not like checkerboard artifacts when the camera moves, maybe their fully deferred engine makes the cost of any resolution beyond 1440p too high for PS4pro, maybe etc. etc.

I'm sure they would have done it if it were possible in the timeframe they set themselves, it really doesn't matter all that much IMO as it's still a stunning looking game, HDR will make all the difference anyway.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My point is this. Giving season pass owners Lost legacy should be expected. It is not possibly the most pro consumer thing ever seen as the person you are quoting has said.

It's not even a nice "gesture" what else would they have done?

To me, and I could be the only one, the single player content was the backbone of the season pass/digital deluxe edition. Why in the world should I commend ND for fulfilling their promise on money they collected a year ago?
Simple. They MASSIVELY exceeded their promise.

If someone promises you $100 but then turns around and gives you $300 instead they have kept their promise while greatly exceeding it.

They are delivering a standalone game as long as Uncharted 1 and you got it for cheap, basically, because they changed their plans and opted to create a full-on new game rather than a 2-3 hour DLC pack.

That's like half the length of Uncharted 4, so I'd expect the pacing to be closer to the other Uncharted games.

black070

Simple. They MASSIVELY exceeded their promise.

If someone promises you $100 but then turns around and gives you $300 instead they have kept their promise while greatly exceeding it.

They are delivering a standalone game as long as Uncharted 1 and you got it for cheap, basically, because they changed their plans and opted to create a full-on new game rather than a 2-3 hour DLC pack.

Agreed.

BigEmil

Exactly. UC4 was hella padded with boring shit just to make it longer and ruined pacing & replayability.

Here's hoping since this one isn't as long as UC4 it won't have as much padding or better yet any padding/fluff as UC4 did just to make it artificially longer and just focus on pure fun gameplay all the way and don't have to try making it longer purposely...

Shock32

I'm getting a real serious vibe coming from this. Like it's the last of us with uncharted characters. Nothing wrong with it but it feels off from the uncharted franchise.

Top Bottom