• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs GTAV on XONE - performance analysis

Cess007

Your personal reasons have no place in a technical discussion. End of story.

Those were the days. Maybe one day when I'm bored I'll perform a cross reference between participants in tech discussions of yesteryear and current gen, perhaps certain views have evolved over time.

If you ever have the time for that, here's Red Dead Redepmton Comparison thread. And here's where i think the grass comparison starts. Funny thing, that thread clocked at 35 pages. So far, this thread has been a tame one :p

Anyone bothered to do screenshot on PS4, feel free to post it. I faced north, south and east standing on the edge of a road. I also captured location so people could easily find it. I am sure there is difference in foliage, but it's not as drastic as bogus screenshot above, where it looks like last gen with almost no grass. So far I didn't see anything like that with such a huge difference.

ZrnGVWC.png

Will do this when I get home. What time of day was it in-game?

GHG

Gold Member
I own both consoles and got this for the XBO because I like to play with my friends. Am I mad?

Sorry to break it to you but this is a game with over 50 hours of single player content. If something like that is so important and makes you buy the inferior version of a single player focused game it begs the question, why even bother to have the PS4 at all of you are not taking advantage of one of the primary strengths of the platform?

Each to their own though of course.

cackhyena

Sorry to break it to you but this is a game with over 50 hours of single player content. If something like that is so important and makes you buy the inferior version of a single player focused game it begs the question, why even bother to have the PS4 at all of you are not taking advantage of one of the primary strengths of the platform?

I'll be getting it on X1 as well for the same reason as him. So far I see jack shit making me feel like I'll be missing out not getting it on my PS4. Rather be able to enjoy online with my buddy when I want a break from sp.

shandy706

Sorry T break it to you but this is a game with over 50 hours of single player content. If something like that is so important and makes you buy the inferior version of a single player focused game it begs the question, why even bother to have the PS4 at all of you are not taking advantage of one of the primary strengths of the platform?

Some people buy for exclusives alone. Some buy for friends.

A PS4 in my household is the second most powerful hardware(by a long ways)...so what is its primary strength in that scenario?

Exclusives or friends...same as X1

Saying "why bother at all" is silly. Why bother with a PS4 or X1 with PCs?

Also, what if he puts 200 hours into multi? Is it still a "single player focused" game?

"I want to play with my friends" is as legit as "I want more foliage or effects".

Not everyone is hung up on buying based simply on hardware or one persons idea of "value".

StuBurns

Banned
If you ever have the time for that, here's Red Dead Redepmton Comparison thread. And here's where i think the grass comparison starts. Funny thing, that thread clocked at 35 pages. So far, this thread has been a tame one :p
I was in and out in the first page, disappointing.

My opinions haven't really changed. Tearing is the most objectionable technical artifact. Although now IQ is a bigger concern for me than it was, as I said on a previous page that I'd take no grass in favor of a serious IQ bump.

Other than Vanquish, RDR would be my most requested PC/next-gen port. Hopefully the next Red Dead will inspire R* to go back and reissue it on the new platforms.

Elandyll

Banned
Yeah, thats a confirmation. The PS4 version indeed has considerably more foliage.

I am more impressed by the lighting/ shadows difference(not time of day related).
Won't realy matter if you aren't playing them side by side, but there is a clear difference imo.

orochi91

I am more impressed by the lighting/ shadows difference(not time of day related).
Won't realy matter if you aren't playing them side by side, but there is a clear difference imo.

Yea, it's very impressive.

This makes me excited for a new next-gen GTA game :O

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
More foliage confirmed. Its like Shadow of Mordor where there was tons more foliage in the PS4 version compared to the One version, and the PC version had even more foliage then that.

I expect people with PC's housing 2 980s to be having entire jungles everywhere you look

TheShocker

I think they look same. Yeah, I see the difference is foliage, but it isn't a night and day deal. Everything else looks the same. I'll probably get this on XBO. I'll get FC4 for the PS4 so both get some love this holiday season.

crazyprac

I think they look same. Yeah, I see the difference is foliage, but it isn't a night and day deal. Everything else looks the same. I'll probably get this on XBO. I'll get FC4 for the PS4 so both get some love this holiday season.

I think its pretty different! Lots more grass! Color looks more natural! Less frame rate drops! I'll get both on ps4 (all multi plats actually)! My Xbox gets love from MCC!

Jrs3000

I'm guessing it's the lighting for the time of day even though it's close but there's a shadow of a tree in the xb1 in the right corner but the ps4 it's not. There's more grass in ps4 shot but still some empty patches.

Derpyduck

Banned

50 hours? LOL. Took me about 18. Then I put 300ish hours into online play (last gen). If playing with friends is an option and they enjoy online play, that's the version to get.

Purest 78

50 hours? LOL. Took me about 18. Then I put 300ish hours into online play (last gen). If playing with friends is an option and they enjoy online play, that's the version to get.

Maybe because I'm probably older than alot of people on gaf. I honestly couldn't careless what my friends do. I'll buy the best looking or performing game every time.

ypo

Looks like the Bone version has some nasty Chromatic Aberration. It's there in the PS4 version but it's very very subtle.

gzgeMn1.jpg

Derpyduck

Banned
Maybe because I'm probably older than alot of people on gaf. I honestly couldn't careless what my friends do. I'll buy the best looking or performing game every time.

I try to do that too for single player only games, but waiting until January for the PC version wasn't an option for me. I needed it now.

Ecto1

Neo Member
I think it looks good for a cross gen port of an open-world game, on both platforms, and as far as I can see performance is good on both as well.

Its nice that they went the extra mile with this. They added the extra grass and lens flares and reflections and texture resolution with some decent AA... It could have just been a strait port.

I'd take this (on either Xbox One or PS4) over watchdogs any day (for more reasons than JUST the resolution or graphics, I just have more fun in GTA).

And you know what. If they had to cut out a few patches of grass on the One for 1080p, then its all cool. I prefer the IQ. Its a simple fact that the PS4 can do more, it shouldn't be the end of your existence as a gamer if devs can do more with better hardware. That would be like devs locking PC games at 900p or 30fps.

Interesting to see the slight differences in ground texture next to the road, particularly where the pile of gravel is (Black shirt is XB1):

U_6ntF.gif

do WHAT?

I really dont notice any frame drops or pop in. But i only played about 6 hours so far.

SSD in my PS4 BTW.

I don't notice much pop in with default hdd. The only things that pop is ambiant occlusion shadows and reflexions on puddles of water.

For the framedrops, the game is pretty stable but it goes to shit whenever I drive very fast on a big boulevard like vinewood bld or every time you drive past a crossroad.
Try getting the infernus, bullet or banshee an drive super fast in the city. If you don't notice framedrops, the hdd would be the culprit.

It may just be the road being darker, but the Xbox One road looks better to me.
The xbone pic definitely has more contrast. It is interesting that the textures seem to be very different though.

Can't wait to see what the PC version looks like, been watching streams and man, it really looks great.

cookienut

Banned
PS4 seems to have the slightly better IQ and a little more grass stuff going on. Both look nice and clean regardless.

But neither are super shining examples of next gen visuals...just really nice and clean.

I say its neither here nor there for any current gen console version. Get the version....with the nicest cover I guess? lol.

btrboyev

textures look different for each platform for some reason.
the road compariosn, almost all the textures from the dirt and road look different. Picture adds to some of that, but they little piece of busted up road is 100% different.

Game4life

Banned
Some people buy for exclusives alone. Some buy for friends.

A PS4 in my household is the second most powerful hardware(by a long ways)...so what is its primary strength in that scenario?

Exclusives or friends...same as X1

Saying "why bother at all" is silly. Why bother with a PS4 or X1 with PCs?

Also, what if he puts 200 hours into multi? Is it still a "single player focused" game?

"I want to play with my friends" is as legit as "I want more foliage or effects".

Not everyone is hung up on buying based simply on hardware or one persons idea of "value".

No one gives a shit about this in a thread focused on technology driving the games. We get it - You will always like the xbox one version irrespective of whether the game looks better, worse or the same on the platform. Now this thread will hopefully get back to talking about technical differences between the platforms.

the road compariosn, almost all the textures from the dirt and road look different. Picture adds to some of that, but they little piece of busted up road is 100% different.

hmmm, no it's the same, just the dirt is blended differently on top. The textures on the road are the same too, just a combination of the light angle and the X1 pop factor

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

The spots on the dirt match up, as do the irregularities on the side of the road. They are identical textures. Only difference is an extra spot of brown dirt on the PS4 on the busted up road, ro some reason. The rest is the same from a slightly different perspective.

ttech10

The xbone pic definitely has more contrast. It is interesting that the textures seem to be very different though.

Can't wait to see what the PC version looks like, been watching streams and man, it really looks great.

I messed with the contrast of the PS4 shot and it does make it look better than before. Probably just contrast/brightness stuff like I've seen in most other screenshots.

It is odd that just that one area of loose gravel is different. All the areas further up the road look the same

I messed with the contrast of the PS4 shot and it does make it look better than before. Probably just contrast/brightness stuff like I've seen in most other screenshots.

It is odd that just that one area of loose gravel is different. All the areas further up the road look the same
Do you leave footprints in the dirt? I wonder if thats what that is...

I'm guessing it's the lighting for the time of day even though it's close but there's a shadow of a tree in the xb1 in the right corner but the ps4 it's not. There's more grass in ps4 shot but still some empty patches.
Other way around, the shadow is present in the PS4 version, but not One.

I noticed the chromatic aberration is more pronounced on One.

Top Bottom