• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Xbox One S

Caayn

Tech Interview: Inside Xbox One S with Albert Penello.
Xbox One S performance boost revealed
Microsoft Xbox One S review
knipseldvxp8.png

knipselr7lw8.png

Albert Penello said:
Albert Penello: Correct! The SoC in the Xbox One S is designed in the 16nm Fin FET process, which results in a die that is 240mm2; 33 per cent smaller and consumes less power than the 28nm SoC in the original Xbox One.

Digital Foundry: Can developers address a 4K framebuffer? Obviously we can't expect native 4K triple-A gaming, but simpler titles and 2D games could potentially work well - plus existing Xbox One owners would get 2x super-sampling.

Albert Penello: If they want to, they can. As you said, if a developer had a game that could use it we are enabling 4K framebuffers, but only on Xbox One S consoles.
jpgzqafc.jpg

jpga7sty.jpg

Albert Penello said:
We designed the console to make sure it had great acoustic performance and reliability for the consumer. The cooling solution uses an aluminum heat sink with two heat pipes and a single 120mm axial fan to draw air through the whole system.

malfcn

Interesting details. Less heat increases perf a tid bit. In another interview Spencer made it sound like this might not be the norm, or necessarily worth upgrading for.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ill be curious to see how HDR games perform when they start coming out. My understanding was the extra gpu power was to make sure the S and Original kept the same performance while the one was putting out an HDR image.

You know, I don't play my one often but it would be nice to be able to take full advantage of my 4K tv. I might use the one more with S

Hoo-doo

Banned
Welp. Guess we'll be seeing firesales on the old models soon. Nobody wants that thing when there's a upgraded model with better performance.

Fliesen

Interesting

Xbox One S as
'the cheap, small, quiet console that plays the "non-scorpio" versions of games with slightly less frame drops'
looks like a much more viable option now.

for people who are fine with "current gen" IQ and 1080p resolutions, who want to add an Xbox to their repertoire to catch up on the exclusives, that is...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
That's pretty cool that games will scale like that even from a little bump. Seems like good news for Scorpio going forward like where more powerful hardware will make these games run better.

Richard seemed to impy that the PS4 cpu's is faster/more powerful than the Xbox One's? I thought the opposite was true. What kind of difference is there?

LordOfChaos

Interesting. I wonder if HDR would use up the extra bandwidth and GPU clock speed to make things about equal with it on.

dealer-

Should have included the improved performance in the title OP.

I wonder if Dark Souls 3 runs better, it certainly needs a 5-10 FPS bump.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
How about dynamic resolution titles? An example is The Division runs under 1080p outdoors but full 1080p indoors.

DirtyLarry

You know, I don't play my one often but it would be nice to be able to take full advantage of my 4K tv. I might use the one more with S
Exactly why I picked the S up myself. I also do plan on using it a bit more in the upcoming months with the titles being released. I traded in my One, my 3DS I was not using, and a bunch of games, so I owe $80 towards the 2TB model. I can live with that. I pick it up today after work.

Top Bottom