• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] What Remains of Edith Finch: PS5/Xbox Series X/S at 4K 60FPS - But What's Up With Series S?

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

A beautiful narrative adventure game brought up to date on PS5 and Series X at 4K and 60FPS. There's a lot to love in the visual design here - even as a very short 2-3 hour experience - where these upgraded versions give a perfect excuse to revisit Edith Finch's dark world and story. A success for the premium consoles then, however there is something of a disappointment with the Series S release, as Tom covers.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Summary:

- UE4 game. Size reduced to < 3GB on new consoles.
- Game Pass subs get upgraded version.
- PS5 owners who got the PS+ version earlier do not get the upgrade.

- PS5 | SX: 2160p.
- Series S: Native 1080p
- Visual elements (texture, graphical settings) same between all 3. All new gen versions have improvements in draw distance, frame-pacing over last gen.

- PS5 | SX version are ever so slightly softer compared to PC in 4K/Ultra.
- Some settings like Shadows are equivalent to "High" on consoles.
- In some areas PC's max has worse pop-up draw distance compared to consoles.

- PS5|SX are virtually locked at 60 FPS with only minor single frame drops in some places.
- Series S version is locked at 30 FPS in 90% of the game.
- However some sequences in Series S inexplicably lock to 60 FPS. (there are no drops, it just changes locks)

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Great update for the premium consoles, I really enjoyed this game. While one could focus on the lack of a 60fps update for Series S, the fact of the matter is it did receive some nice visual updates.

adamsapple

Great update for the premium consoles, I really enjoyed this game. While one could focus on the lack of a 60fps update for Series S, the fact of the matter is it did receive some nice visual updates.

The Series S situation is real weird, I have to imagine its a bug. It locks to a 100% 60 FPS in the swing sequence, the rest of the game isn't any more demanding.

Stuart360

The Series S situation is real weird, I have to imagine its a bug. It locks to a 100% 60 FPS in the swing sequence, the rest of the game isn't any more demanding.
Almost sounds like they have used double buffered vsync instead of tripple buffered.
It will be interesting to see if there is a very quick patch, which there should be if thats what they have done.

GametimeUK

Amazing game and looks like you can't go wrong on either Series X or PS5. It has one of my favourite levels in all of gaming. Set yourself a few hours aside and play it through in one sitting.

Glad to see this game get the port it deserves.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
How did this game run on Xbox One S/X?
DF never covered it.
Nobody else did, either.
I played it on one X. It felt very 30fps, I remember thinking it was a bit of a bummer that it wasn't smoother BUT I still thought the game was excellent, not enough to take the shine off at all.

Last edited:

intbal

I played it on one X. It felt very 30fps, I remember thinking it was a bit of a bummer that it wasn't smoother BUT I still thought the game was excellent, not enough to take the shine off at all.
What was the resolution?
Tom's video was rather half-assed.

adamsapple

It’s on Gamepass or PSplus? Can’t remember

Yes on Game pass, PS+ it was available as one of the monthly freebies you can claim some months ago. I am not sure if its up on any of the catalogues right now.

What was the resolution?
Tom's video was rather half-assed.

The game never got a One X patch. The version on game pass was the base XBO version before this new-gen update. It was very clearly 720p. The IQ was way worse than what you'd expect from a 1080p game. And it was 30 FPS with frame pacing issues.

It got a PS4 Pro patch after it came out, DF covered its PS4 Pro patch some years back. The PS4 versions were also all 30 FPS with bad frame pacing.

Last edited:

A beautiful narrative adventure game brought up to date on PS5 and Series X at 4K and 60FPS. There's a lot to love in the visual design here - even as a very short 2-3 hour experience - where these upgraded versions give a perfect excuse to revisit Edith Finch's dark world and story. A success for the premium consoles then, however there is something of a disappointment with the Series S release, as Tom covers.

Will there be a vrr support update to run up to 120?

adamsapple

The game has a platinum trophy now, unlike the PS4 version 👌🏼

Amen

1c9j7o.png

Ezekiel_

Banned
Good implementation of the Dualsense features on PS5 :

The upgrade makes use of the DualSense’s haptic feedback, allowing for some item interaction to feel much better than with the PS4 iteration. Really impressed by the implementation of trigger tension when using a viewfinder, as well as a flip-book you can find.

Duchess

What is that supposed to mean? The video clearly showed the game running smoothly at 60fps and then randomly switching back to smooth 30. There is no technical reason it can't keep that framerate. Most likely a bug.
You're quite easy to trigger, mate, especially when it comes to Series S.

Back to the issue at hand: the switch wasn't random. If it was random it would be happening ... at random. What was observed is the game consistent running at a locked 30fps, except for select scenes where it runs at 60fps. DF literally state this in the video. There are several possible reasons for this.

Edith Finch actually pushes hardware pretty hard as it is, so it's possible the game isn't able to hit 60fps consistently on the hardware, moving between 30 and 60 at all times, and so the devs locked the majority of it at 30fps.

However, that would indeed be a really strange design choice, and the Series S should be able to run at 60fps in 1080p, at least.

(but, yes, my comment was mainly to wind you up)

What is that supposed to mean? The video clearly showed the game running smoothly at 60fps and then randomly switching back to smooth 30. There is no technical reason it can't keep that framerate. Most likely a bug.
Some (old) games ca do this and can't have a fluctuating framerate and can only run at 15fps, 20fps, 30fps or 60fps and not something in between. So in this game the game could drop at 30fps when it drops to 55fps or so.

Or maybe it's just a bug.

You're quite easy to trigger, mate, especially when it comes to Series S.

Back to the issue at hand: the switch wasn't random. If it was random it would be happening ... at random. What was observed is the game consistent running at a locked 30fps, except for select scenes where it runs at 60fps. DF literally state this in the video. There are several possible reasons for this.

Edith Finch actually pushes hardware pretty hard as it is, so it's possible the game isn't able to hit 60fps consistently on the hardware, moving between 30 and 60 at all times, and so the devs locked the majority of it at 30fps.

However, that would indeed be a really strange design choice, and the Series S should be able to run at 60fps in 1080p, at least.

(but, yes, my comment was mainly to wind you up)
Sure bro I am clearly all bent out of shape. This title ran at 30 on last generation systems but they couldn't manage to significantly improve the performance even though it's at the same resolution? I highly doubt that. Besides what's the point of switching the fps all around if the best the system could handle was 30fps? Obviously it's a bug just like the resolution bug with that Lego Star Wars game earlier this year on PS5. Hopefully they'll fix it.

Some (old) games ca do this and can't have a fluctuating framerate and can only run at 15fps, 20fps, 30fps or 60fps and not something in between. So in this game the game could drop at 30fps when it drops to 55fps or so.

Or maybe it's just a bug.
Based on the video it really appears like it's either 60 or 30 depending on the scene. The signs point to a bug but who knows if they'll fix it. At least it is properly frame paced and locked at what ever fps its running.

Thief1987

They definitely for some odd reason using double buffered vsync, there is no other reasonable explanation for the framerate to jump between 30 and 60. But it also means that the game on XSS rarely can reach 60fps.

Last edited:

Caio

They definitely for some odd reason using double buffered vsync, there is no other reasonable explanation for the framerate to jump between 30 and 60. But it also means that the game on XSS rarely can reach 60fps.
So, basicly a quarter the resolution and half the frame rate compared to PS5 and XSX, isn't it a bit too much of a difference ? I was expecting 1080p/60 fps on S; now, I couldn't care less, I have my beloved XSX, but this is not normal, to say the least...

Kilau

Really fantastic experience baring one scene that I found upsetting.

Will be nice next time MS rewards asks me to eat some rabbits it won’t look and play so ugly.

Top Bottom