• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Wolfenstein 2: Xbox One X's Biggest Leap Over PS4 Pro?

TLZ

Banned
Double the pixal count compared to the Ps4pro ! That is huge. Plus 4k 60fps on the X. What a beast!
It's not 4k60 on the X. And both the X and PRO have the exact same performance. Both go between 55-60Fps.

The resolution bump on X is nice though.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Think MS did a better job with XboneX than Sony with PRO, beyond the price and spects XboneX is a great minimalist machine, less noisy than PRO and better designed. This machine could accelerate PS5 release.

You must have one of the older Pros, then, because mine is just as quiet as my Scorpio Edition X1X.

tryDEATH

You have some wild wild imagination, young man. $199 is the magic number that makes you a winner, not a niche $499 product.

Too bad that price point is going to be occupied by a more original product in Nintendo Switch and the X1X isn't going to stay at $500 for the next 2 or 3 years and even if it did, $500 isn't what it used to be before. As a consumer electronic device in the USA that is quite low on the price scale considering your going to get at least 3 years out of. Just look at annual phone releases and video games with ever more micro-transactions, driving the average consumers video game price close $100 on annual games such as FIFA. I have a hand full of friends that have already spend more then the cost of a X1X on FUT packs and they aren't done yet.

Bramble

Gotta love all those X-fanboys. Most of them played inferior multiplats for 5 years straight and now all of a sudden they have an insane need to play the sharpest looking multiplat and scream on forums about it. And they need to pay a whopping 500 to do that in the middle of the generation. Well, at least it has better graphics now, when paying more.

Still lacking VR (Skyrim anyone?) and decent exclusives though. Think I'll just stick with my Pro for now.

Anything 1440 and above is going to look great on a 4k TV. I doubt there would be much difference unless you're trying to see it. I think matching PS4 Pro res for 3rd party games would make more sense and heavy enhancing effects(mainly better lighting and AO) would be more beneficial.

GamingArena

Gotta love all those X-fanboys. Most of them played inferior multiplats for 5 years straight and now all of a sudden they have an insane need to play the sharpest looking multiplat and scream on forums about it. And they need to pay a whopping 500 to do that in the middle of the generation. Well, at least it has better graphics now, when paying more.

Still lacking VR (Skyrim anyone?) and decent exclusives though. Think I'll just stick with my Pro for now.

Did Xbox X made you insecure? sounds like it...

Triteon

I own everything, I have a Pro, a switch, a good PC . Its not about "THE BEST GRAPHICS ALL THE TIME" or we'd all be playing our multi plats on our PCs right?

When I want to play console games with friends or I just want to play a long open world game and lay on my couch I want the best experience I can get in that environment and ATM that seems to be the X....you know without lugging my tower out to the living room.

Also what's VR got to do with it?, I mean unless your wanting to to talk about over charging and under delivering that is?

This statement seems really insecure. If your happy with the pro then why would what Xbox fans do matter

JaxBriggs

Gotta love all those X-fanboys. Most of them played inferior multiplats for 5 years straight and now all of a sudden they have an insane need to play the sharpest looking multiplat and scream on forums about it.

The arguments have literally swapped.

2013: Xbox fans - "Exclusives are what matters, not visuals"
2013: PS4 fans - "Exclusives aren't important, we have the best multiplats"

To..

2017: PS4 fans - "Exclusives are what matters, not visuals"
2017: Xbox fans - "Exclusives aren't important, we have the best multiplats"

And it'll probably continue to swap depending on what hardware comes next.

rokkerkory

5 years?

X with the ground and pound on Pro.

Ya know, the Pro might have worked out ok if they had adopted a few more features the way MSFT is handling the refreshed system (downsampling on every title, for instance) and if they had gone with 12 Gigs of ram, too.

Wouldn't this have defeated the point of keeping the Pro affordable. As Sony learned in 2006 and MS learned in 2013, the mass market does not want to pay $500 for a game console. MS has even admitted that the X is a niche product. It's certainly the most powerful console on the market, but how many people is it relevant for. With most of Xbox's games going to PC and a large segment of the videophile market that wants things at the end of the spectrum the X is on, most of the people in that demographic would opt for a high end PC. I can't imagine many of them would feel the need for an X on the side.

The Xbox One X is a beast of a console, I don't think anyone is questioning that. But for the majority of the market, the performance that the Xbox One S and vanilla PS4 offer are plenty good enough and cheap enough, and the PS4 Pro is a viable option for those that do want a higher end console--with significantly more exclusive content handily making up for it being not on par with the X in terms of horsepower. Time will tell if there is a market for a mid-gen upgrade of this magnitude or not.

Or I still able to enjoy Red Dead Redemption 2 while enjoying games like Ni no Kuni 2, Dragon Quest XI, Ghost of Tsushima, Last of Us part II, God of War and Shadow of the Colossus remake and Hokuto Ga Gotoku.
Or you can realize that at this point you're just trying to parrot a meme that has been exhausted to death by gamers who just want to convert as many bandwagon haters as possible. It's old. It's repitive. It does nothing to drive the conversation forward. And it's misinformation at worst.

Playstation has exclusives that plenty of people want. No doubt. And then there's plenty of mainstream gamers that see value in the Xbox ecosystem and features, that people like you choose to ignore or diminish in significance.

There's also an excellent new console that is the undisputed champ nowadays, and will be for the next few years, while it becomes more affordable and keeps seeing better and better experiences.

As always, the more the console makers do well, the better for the industry as a whole.

It's not 4k60 on the X. And both the X and PRO have the exact same performance. Both go between 55-60Fps.

The resolution bump on X is nice though.

DF also stated the One X version is leagues ahead of the Pro in texture filtering especially in floor textures and shader adjusters.

You can check this out starting at 4:40 in the DF comparison vid.

MaulerX

Wouldn't this have defeated the point of keeping the Pro affordable. As Sony learned in 2006 and MS learned in 2013, the mass market does not want to pay $500 for a game console. MS has even admitted that the X is a niche product. It's certainly the most powerful console on the market, but how many people is it relevant for. With most of Xbox's games going to PC and a large segment of the videophile market that wants things at the end of the spectrum the X is on, most of the people in that demographic would opt for a high end PC. I can't imagine many of them would feel the need for an X on the side.

The Xbox One X is a beast of a console, I don't think anyone is questioning that. But for the majority of the market, the performance that the Xbox One S and vanilla PS4 offer are plenty good enough and cheap enough, and the PS4 Pro is a viable option for those that do want a higher end console--with significantly more exclusive content handily making up for it being not on par with the X in terms of horsepower. Time will tell if there is a market for a mid-gen upgrade of this magnitude or not.

All they learned was that selling at $500 with underpowered hardware doesn't cut it. A $500 console that is clearly premium and cutting edge is a different story. As a consumer, going forward I want Microsoft and Sony to cram the absolute best tech they can for $500.

Reading this thread... Lol
This place is fucked.

The forum suffered an enormous brain drain, thought a semblance of equilibrium would have been restored by now. we could have avoided open console hw warfare and get back to this place being how it should be, that’s looking like a foregone conclusion now, I mean if this thread is going to be the new level of discussion once can expect, then this place has a very very rocky road ahead of it.

I mean some of the stuff/bait being said in this thread wouldn’t have passed back when we had a full strength mod team. It’s a continuous stream of anger and hate aimed at a fucking plastic box.

Putty

The forum suffered an enormous brain drain, thought a semblance of equilibrium would have been restored by now. we could have avoided open console hw warfare and get back to this place being how it should be, that’s looking like a foregone conclusion now, I mean if this thread is going to be the new level of discussion once can expect, then this place has a very very rocky road ahead of it.

I mean some of the stuff/bait being said in this thread wouldn’t have passed back when we had a full strength mod team. It’s a continuous stream of anger and hate aimed at a fucking plastic box.

I have moved over to Reset but still still read GAF, but i had to reply to you to say that you sir/madam are bang on with this comment...

Madeiras

Neo Member
Question on 4K 60/30. If you not happy about Xbox One X "4K60/30 games" why did you got the Pro?

Dont bring exclusives we talking about 4k 30/60pfs.

Bramble

Did Xbox X made you insecure? sounds like it...

Nope. I probably would've jumped in if the differences were bigger (like Origins in 60fps), but glad I can keep my money.

I own everything, I have a Pro, a switch, a good PC . Its not about "THE BEST GRAPHICS ALL THE TIME" or we'd all be playing our multi plats on our PCs right?

When I want to play console games with friends or I just want to play a long open world game and lay on my couch I want the best experience I can get in that environment and ATM that seems to be the X....you know without lugging my tower out to the living room.

Also what's VR got to do with it?, I mean unless your wanting to to talk about over charging and under delivering that is?

My whole point. I pre-ordered PS4 before specs were even known or an issue. It's where my mates are and Sony's exclusives are much better and varied IMHO. Got the Pro because I wanted a second PS4.

What VR has to do with it? I said that because of all the "true next gen starts now" comments. When is that? Some extra pixels on a 4K display on a handful of titles makes it true next gen all of a sudden? I love my PS VR and so do my kids. RE7 is one of the best experiences I ever had. So praise X all you want (generally speaking), it will always be behind on a lot of aspects, for me. MS is just showing how big it's dick is, but there's hardly any sex involved, you know what I'm saying?

To..

Well I used to have a 360 and PS3 and the 360 was only used for the wife's Zumba lessons. Got a PS4 for the exclusives right from the start. Better hardware was a nice extra.

Is stand corrected: 4 years.

The cost difference in parts is minimal between them and a years time doesn't effect the price nearly enough. The consoles as they are are using basically the same parts. The difference is the amount of work MS put into designing and fine tuning the X1X, which is what they are actually charging for.

Just because one company didn't take its time and due diligence doesn't have to negate the efforts of another company, a latter release doesn't automatically equal a superior product thus it is a horrible argument to make. No one put the gun to Sony's head and said to release the console when it did and as other posters have alluded there just didn't seem to be any strategy behind their decision making, which in this case was a bad one.

A lot of the extra $100 is probably the UHD, remove that from the system, what becomes Sony's excuse then? They had the same toys to play with one was just simply smarter.

Yes, it does effect. A lot of the extra 100$ i probably the UHD? You clearly, don't know what you're talking about. UHD drive cost around 10-15$ more then regular BR drive.

Sony aimed for 399, MS aimed for 499. That's a fact and 100$ and year later release are big difference and it can allow to put a more components with higher clocks, FLOPS etc. and some components become cheaper through time, even in a few months.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

To..

I’ve never heard people saying that in 2013. The perfomace was a nice extra, but it was still all about the difference in exclusives. Sony always had the biggest exclusives, not since last years.

Maximus P

I think you've been looking at this forum with Rose tinted glasses.

The launch of the ps4 and Xbox one we're a particular highlight for these forums and I saw plenty of posts being aggressive towards people buying the 'inferior console'. So much so that it was really hard to get a a decent conversion going on here about Microsofts consoles without it being shit on for Kinect/$499/anti-consumer, and I very rarely saw posters banned for thread shitting.

There has always been hate and anger on here aimed at the 'plastic box'

JaxBriggs

I've never heard people saying that in 2013.

Go back and find any of the old Face-Off threads from the first 12+ months of this generation and you'll see what I mean.

The 'exclusives vs power' argument we're seeing now is the exact same argument we saw back in 2013, only they've swapped around.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I’ve never heard people saying that in 2013. The perfomace was a nice extra, but it was still all about the difference in exclusives. Sony always had the biggest exclusives, not since last years.

Literally everyone favored the PS4 over Xbox One because of the minor superiority of graphics on the PS4. Remember there really weren’t any exclusives at both launches of this generation.

It was the incident that summoned the “PS4 is a beast” meme.

Being an Xbox One player since the start of the launch, it’s hard not to remember this.

MysteryM

I had 2 xboxes last gen, 2 ps3's, wii, wii u, and this gen I have a PS4, two Xbox ones and an X. Get your genearlistic bull out of here. I'm predominately an Xbox gamer but get to enjoy games on all consoles.

pixelbox

Literally everyone favored the PS4 over Xbox One because of the minor superiority of graphics on the PS4. Remember there really weren’t any exclusives at both launches of this generation.

Being an Xbox One player since the start of the launch, it’s hard not to remember this.
The beast remark was due to the exclusives. MS fucked themselves with their policies which cause the hate. And lastly, it was inferior and cost $100 more.

solis74

everyone should just enjoy whatever system ever they want to game on. The X is amazing and those that have one should just enjoy it :)

thelastword

Banned
XBONEX VIDEO

PS4PRO VIDEO

VGtech's findings are quite different to DF. Most probably because they test a wider range of gameplay areas and test those console GPU's a bit more.....

The flamethrower scenes you see here has the XBONEX version dipping to 31fps at a min, whereas in the PS4 Pro video, we have a min of 43fps in that scene. Generally, the Pro's framerate is more solid and consistent over XBONEX..

Since they tested more taxing areas, you would realize that the XBONEX falls lower than what DF suggested...That is, XBONEX falls to 2688 x1512 on it's lowest count, whilst the PRO's lowest is 2304 x 1296, so that's definitely not a 63% percent divide with the 2944 x 1656 figure DF published......It's only 36.11%

It is also important to note that looking at XBONEX's stats, it is very possible for XBONEX to fall lower in more taxing areas of the game than that flamethrower scene..On the flip, PS4 PRO seems to be pretty consistent at 1440p and the XBONEX rarely runs at the height of 2160p with it's wider spread DR, it averages closer to the 1700p area as opposed to Pro's 1440p...

Persons may want to take a look at the stats for both versions in that video, all the stats can be linked to.....Looking at the stats, XBONEX's 1st percentile, 5th percentile and minimum framerate are all lower vs PRO....I think in general, it's important that we get better or more accurate stats instead of jumping on the hyperbole wagon of "WF2 biggest leap over PRO" type bits....I'm still of the opinion there should be a proper balance between framerate against resolution in any game tbh...As spencer said "framerate is king".....

Further to that, It's kinda crazy that quite a few of these Dynamic Rez solutions are just not locking framerates to the desired target....For what it's worth, Metro Redux still remains the best in that area.

mad597

Banned
I think you've been looking at this forum with Rose tinted glasses.

The launch of the ps4 and Xbox one we're a particular highlight for these forums and I saw plenty of posts being aggressive towards people buying the 'inferior console'. So much so that it was really hard to get a a decent conversion going on here about Microsofts consoles without it being shit on for Kinect/$499/anti-consumer, and I very rarely saw posters banned for thread shitting.

There has always been hate and anger on here aimed at the 'plastic box'

It also didnt help that bish would regularly ban dozens of xbox supporters at a time for no reason in his bias cull sessions. After awhile of this you had a pretty thin xbox community.

Since they tested more taxing areas, you would realize that the XBONEX falls lower than what DF suggested...That is, XBONEX falls to 2688 x1512 on it's lowest count, whilst the PRO's lowest is 2304 x 1296, so that's definitely not a 63% percent divide with the 2944 x 1656 figure DF published......It's only 36.11%

VGTech comment on the PS4Pro video says "The PS4 Pro version uses a dynamic resolution with the lowest pixel count found being 1280x1296"

mad597

Banned
XBONEX VIDEO

PS4PRO VIDEO

VGtech's findings are quite different to DF. Most probably because they test a wider range of gameplay areas and test those console GPU's a bit more.....

The flamethrower scenes you see here has the XBONEX version dipping to 31fps at a min, whereas in the PS4 Pro video, we have a min of 43fps in that scene. Generally, the Pro's framerate is more solid and consistent over XBONEX..

It is also important to note that looking at XBONEX's stats, it is very possible for XBONEX to fall lower in more taxing areas of the game than that flamethrower scene..On the flip, PS4 PRO seems to be pretty consistent at 1440p and the XBONEX rarely runs at the height of 2160p with it's wider spread DR, it averages closer to the 1700p area as opposed to Pro's 1440p...

Persons may want to take a look at the stats for both versions in that video, all the stats can be linked to.....Looking at the stats, XBONEX's 1st percentile, 5th percentile and minimum framerate are all lower vs PRO....I think in general, it's important that we get better or more accurate stats instead of jumping on the hyperbole wagon of "WF2 biggest leap over PRO" type bits....I'm still of the opinion there should be a proper balance between framerate against resolution in any game tbh...As spencer said "framerate is king".....

Further to that, It's kinda crazy that quite a few of these Dynamic Rez solutions are just not locking framerates to the desired target....For what it's worth, Metro Redux still remains the best in that area.

Jesus christ you are still here? You are without a doubt one of the biggest Sony shills in existence. You are literally proof of how bias this place is.

You would have been banned in about 10 mins if you trolled sony fans like you troll xbox fans. Let me also clue you in, most people that know this place know you are a sony shill.

The X1X isn't equip with any new technology it is still utilizing all the same tech both original consoles launched. MS simply just overclocked the parts further, they didn't get a new CPU architecture to make it faster nor did they a new GPU to work with, both of them are made with the same parts for a large extend. Sony just decided to cut corners, by including less RAM and ignoring their own technology by not adding UHD. There was no reason for them to release the PS4P that early they basically shot themselves in the foot that just a shitty excuse.

Huh? 1X is a new GPU. It's GCN 4 and has 40 CUs. Unlike pro's GPU (underclocked RX480), there isn't a direct graphics card equivalent. Characterizing the x1 gpu as an overclocked part is a major overstatement.

Furthermore, the reason why 1x is $100 more expensive is because it has more ram (duh) and the gpu is probably selectively binned

tryDEATH

Yes, it does effect. A lot of the extra 100$ i probably the UHD? You clearly, don't know what you're talking about. UHD drive cost around 10-15$ more then regular BR drive.

Sony aimed for 399, MS aimed for 499. That's a fact and 100$ and year later release are big difference and it can allow to put a more components with higher clocks, FLOPS etc. and some components become cheaper through time, even in a few months.

Your clueless Masayasu Ito the executive VP of SIE said this in regards to skipping on a UDH player for the PS4P "It's a balancing act, you have to look at the cost and a 4K Blu-ray disc player would be costly," So clearly its a considerable expense and its coming from a authority in the know. Again they are using the same exact main components pushing the system and the price difference is minimal, because they are buying these parts in mass quantities where they are already getting the best possible price.

Huh? 1X is a new GPU. It's GCN 4 and has 40 CUs. Unlike pro's GPU (underclocked RX480), there isn't a direct graphics card equivalent. Characterizing the x1 gpu as an overclocked part is a major overstatement.

Furthermore, the reason why 1x is $100 more expensive is because it has more ram (duh) and the gpu is probably selectively binned

Both of the GPU's are based on integrated graphics that have been customized by their engineering teams. MS just went to the extreme by going Frankenstein on it. It isn't strictly based on Polaris 10 nor is it based on Vega it is a concoction that the MS team threw together, because it has elements of both. They aren't using some brand new technology that was developed in the last year and MS just decided to use it.

Yes, the RAM is pretty expensive, but it sure isn't $100 more expensive. You take out the UHD player and MS would probably be selling the X1X at $450. Sony just didn't try and half-assed.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member

lol.

dcb2821

The beast remark was due to the exclusives. MS fucked themselves with their policies which cause the hate. And lastly, it was inferior and cost $100 more.

It was $100 more because it was packaged with $150 kinect, which everyone freaked out about....but now everyone is ok with the technology since its in an iphone. MS always got shit on for trying new things and wanting to move tech forward

Space_nut

It was $100 more because it was packaged with $150 kinect, which everyone freaked out about....but now everyone is ok with the technology since its in an iphone. MS always got shit on for trying new things and wanting to move tech forward

Things like Alexa, bigsbi, google, etc spawned off Kinect. Right now I use Alexa to play music, turn on tv, etc with my voice. All started with Kinect in 2010

I would like to see MS release a version of Cortana that looks like Amazon Dot Echo that connects to Xbox and everything in the house

groansey

Expected it to run better than the Pro. Though it's getting to the point I only think these changes are big deal to people like Digital Foundry, so long as 4K penetration remains low.

I hate these mid-gen console revisions for making console gaming more like the PC space. At least Nintendo focus on the games.

Also it's not so much that PS fanboys are salty now their hardware is inferior, it's more that MS was so arrogant with the launch of XB1 that their hardware falling short gave a great sense of schadenfreude. I don't think XB1X owners can really experience that now even with better hardware, because we're 4 years in, Sony is dominating, has VR and a more-compelling software library. But it's a start.

Top Bottom