• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Wolfenstein 2: Xbox One X's Biggest Leap Over PS4 Pro?

goonergaz

500 dollars for a few graphical tweaks

lol wow

Each to their own - PC gamers pay more for similar results.

For an XBO owner if you can afford the ~£300 upgrade it's got to be worth it...hell I upgraded to XBOs for a minor upgrade on performance...for anyone thinking of buying an Xbox today with cash to spare it's surely a given to get the X.

If you're buying a new console and don't have a 'side' then you start to consider more than performance and price, the X has the next generation bluray and it's quiet (not that I have issues with my Pro) so it could be worth buying over Pro.

I think the best bang for buck for a straight gaming console is surely the base PS4...it offers a good middle ground.

lol wow

The fact that you say "few graphical tweaks" combined with your post history means your drive-by posts are irrelevant. If this is how angry you're going to get now, you're in for a rough ride the next few years.

kb8998

Neo Member
Each to their own - PC gamers pay more for similar results.

For an XBO owner if you can afford the ~£300 upgrade it's got to be worth it...hell I upgraded to XBOs for a minor upgrade on performance...for anyone thinking of buying an Xbox today with cash to spare it's surely a given to get the X.

If you're buying a new console and don't have a 'side' then you start to consider more than performance and price, the X has the next generation bluray and it's quiet (not that I have issues with my Pro) so it could be worth buying over Pro.

I think the best bang for buck for a straight gaming console is surely the base PS4...it offers a good middle ground.

so basically you just bought something new just because it was new but you still realize it was a shitty investment?

lol wow

I literally paid over a thousand for a PC to play games with better graphics and frame rates. I'm sorry that you're too poor to afford to spend on luxury items, but I'd have more sympathy for you if you weren't paupering about in a thread for a console you don't own and can't afford anyway.

Some of the comments i've been reading around the net are hilarious, I love console wars.

You mean the Xbox One X which came out a year later is and is $100 more expensive is actually more powerful then a PS4 pro? Wow! I guess that could mean that when the PS5 releases in the next 2 years it might be more powerful too? Shocking. Also apparently that power gap the PS4 had over the Xbox one that all the Sony fans used to crow about was huge, but now power is irrelevant to Sony fans because the shoes on the other foot. lol

My question is does this extend the Xbox's generation? Because if i drop $500 on a new console i don't want to see it obsolete in 2 years and as a PC gamer i hope it doesn't extend the generation at all (and i don't think it will), the CPU's in these things are just holding us back at the moment. It would be funny if we ended up in a situation where both companies released consoles a year or two apart and we had this perpetual cycle of "the most powerful console" being released from Sony or MS every couple of years.

PS5 - 2019
Nextbox -2020
PS5 pro - 2022
Nextbox X - 2023
PS6 - 2025
Nextbox 2 - 2026

We're certainly in for interesting times, lol.

Some of the comments i've been reading around the net are hilarious, I love console wars.

You mean the Xbox One X which came out a year later is and is $100 more expensive is actually more powerful then a PS4 pro? Wow! I guess that could mean that when the PS5 releases in the next 2 years it might be more powerful too? Shocking. Also apparently that power gap the PS4 had over the Xbox one that all the Sony fans used to crow about was huge, but now power is irrelevant to Sony fans because the shoes on the other foot. lol

My question is does this extend the Xbox's generation? Because if i drop $500 on a new console i don't want to see it obsolete in 2 years and as a PC gamer i hope it doesn't extend the generation at all (and i don't think it will), the CPU's in these things are just holding us back at the moment. It would be funny if we ended up in a situation where both companies released consoles a year or two apart and we had this perpetual cycle of "the most powerful console" being released from Sony or MS every couple of years.

PS5 - 2019
Nextbox -2020
PS5 pro - 2022
Nextbox X - 2023
PS6 - 2025
Nextbox 2 - 2026

But that's the best thing about PC right now. Any game that runs at 60FPS on console is almost guaranteed to run at 144FPS on PC without much effort.

But that's the best thing about PC right now. Any game that runs at 60FPS on console is almost guaranteed to run at 144FPS on PC without much effort.

It's definitely easier on my wallet that's for sure, but the raging graphics whore in me wants more, more, more. lol

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member

PS5 - 2019
Nextbox -2020
PS5 pro - 2022
Nextbox X - 2023
PS6 - 2025
Nextbox 2 - 2026

If Microsoft's generationless concept comes to fruition, then its not about extending the life for 2 more years so much as its about not having hard breaks between generations anymore.

So, what I am expecting is that in 2019 or 2020, we will get the new Xbox with another nice power boost. It will be 100% back compat with all current Xbox 1, Xbox 1X, 360, and OG Xbox titles and offer all of them, even titles that are not "enhanced", better graphics, framerates, resolutions, etc...

At the same time, I expect them to remove the requirement that all games run on the original Xbox One and only require compatibility with the 1X from that point. Then 2 to 3 years after that, they will rinse repeat. Another power boost, full back compat, drop 1X support and only require the system released in 2019/2020 and the new system.

Its basically like upgrading a PC or mobile devices for gaming, except with fixed hardware and not having to spend 15 to 60 minutes tweaking everything to get the perfect settings. Everything keeps running and just runs better when you upgrade. If you don't want to upgrade every release, you don't have to do so and you will still get all the new games, but you will have to upgrade at least once every 4 to 6 years to keep getting all the new software.

It's definitely easier on my wallet that's for sure, but the raging graphics whore in me wants more, more, more. lol

The last few years of the 360/PS3 gen were the best. Maxing every game out at 1080p/60FPS on a second hand 560Ti. Good times.

PC I've got now I fully expect to be pulling it weight in games for the next 4 years, easily. Especially with the 4K push for consoles, I'll happily be pushing frames at 1080p for a while with a 1080.

Having the ps4 pro and Xbox one X last the next couple years I'll be fine. It the next box I buy will have to be a real beast with every game being native 4k and 60 fps. Honestly unless they just stop making games for the pro and X idk why I would upgrade even if something is released in 2 years

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

PS5 - 2019
Nextbox -2020
PS5 pro - 2022
Nextbox X - 2023
PS6 - 2025
Nextbox 2 - 2026

Yes I agree,
I just dont see MS not supporting the 1X when it will be roughly 50% of the power of next gen systems.
It will be very interesting to see what sony does in reaction to MS having both a cheaper system (1X) and a premium one.
If MS were smart the 1X would be $249 and the nextbox be $499 in 2020.
I really dont know how sony could compete with that unless they follow suit and make the pro there base model too?

Well, you'd bloody hope there would be some noticeable difference given the added year and premium price of the new system.

I really dont know how sony could compete with that unless they follow suit and make the pro there base model too?

You do realize that MS is not currently leading the trend though, right? All of your cases show MS reacting to Sony, and slowly at that. At this point, Sony is leading development.

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
Yes I agree,
I just dont see MS not supporting the 1X when it will be roughly 50% of the power of next gen systems.
It will be very interesting to see what sony does in reaction to MS having both a cheaper system (1X) and a premium one.

Well, they are supporting the original Xbox One now even though it is less than 25% of the power of the 1X. So it makes sense they will continue this trend forward.

One thing to remember is that having to support an older system with worst graphics really doesn't hold back debs. Just look at PC support through all generations. Even though PC copies traditional ally sell much less than consoles, they still put in the work to make games that take advantage of the fastest GPS with the most memory all the time.

Or, even when a studio makes a game explicitly targeting the highest of high end PC, they still make a trimmed down version that will run on 3-6 year old graphics cards and PCs (and frequently laptops these days).

goonergaz

so basically you just bought something new just because it was new but you still realize it was a shitty investment?

No, I bought it because I wanted to experience the best version of some games and I had the spare money - it was a completely informed decision, I then sold it on for close to what I paid for it.

Well, they are supporting the original Xbox One now even though it is less than 25% of the power of the 1X. So it makes sense they will continue this trend forward.

One thing to remember is that having to support an older system with worst graphics really doesn't hold back debs. Just look at PC support through all generations. Even though PC copies traditional ally sell much less than consoles, they still put in the work to make games that take advantage of the fastest GPS with the most memory all the time.

Or, even when a studio makes a game explicitly targeting the highest of high end PC, they still make a trimmed down version that will run on 3-6 year old graphics cards and PCs (and frequently laptops these days).

The CPUs will be holding devs back I can assure you, even at launch they were considered weak - in a couple years devs will want that extra CPU power to feed the more powerful GPUs and create more complicated AIs (etc)

Night.Ninja

Banned
This thread feels like its full of people who are coming across like this

00000065-001.png

Towards the xbox x

I don't get why so many of you are upset, jumping through fire to downplay

This thread is not even about Wolfenstein anymore lol

CRAIG667

This thread feels like its full of people who are coming across like this

00000065-001.png

Towards the xbox x

I don't get why so many of you are upset, jumping through fire to downplay

This thread is not even about Wolfenstein anymore lol

Yup, it's lame!

If you don't care about the X, why not just avoid related threads?

Unnecessary salt.

Journey

Banned
But it was more than just resoultion back then too;

the_gapqlpov.png

gta-v-ps4-vs-xbox-one.png

Also (as pointed out) you need the TV to fully appreciate it and most don't whereas at the start of the gen most did have a TV to show the differences.

As I said before, as folk upgrade their TVs they will see the advantages of XBX

edit - actually, seeing that GTA screen makes me wonder how good RDR2 might look and I might just have to get an X lol

Haha, yes the difference between PS4 and Xbox One can be pronounced at times, but those shots aren't a good example of what I'm talking about, for instance the texture filtering issue was more present on PS4 actually, I remember that screenshot used in all of the PS4 vs XBO arguments over AF issues, that example is not a AF difference, but looks like they're using Paralax Mapping on the floor stones which give it more geometry, it's not that one is blurry from lack of texture filtering, they're both sharp, but one appears to have more depth, that's a developer choice, similar to NBA 2K having better character models on console despite the PC having more power.

The reason I point this out is that when developers have to go in to make changes like add more grass or use different texture maps, it's rarely going to happen with ports, but things like higher resolution, framerate, better texture filtering are pretty much guaranteed to happen across all games, that would be in addition to any changes that a few developers will take advantage with the extra power. This wasn't the case with PS4 vs XBO (Except for the res bump from 900p to 1080p) where texture quality and filtering were about equal when games ran at 900p on Xbox One and 1080p on PS4.

Yes I agree,

But Pro could be 150 then and PS5 399 or 499. I really don't know how MS can compete with that.

Laserdisk

The fact the X is taking the One versions of games and improving them so drastically is the key, I thought the pro would mature into its power and it sadly hasn't yet.
the one was so far behind in some cases it really shows the power that is there.
The X has the potential to do more due to the massive power reserves, as long as the support is there and people have to remember those patches are not that long made in dev time.

In all honesty, the PS4 Pro version looks amazing and almost the same as the XB1X version... if the only way to see the differences is through a side-by-side comparison, then why pay an additional $100 just for a few multiplayer games? The difference from standard definition to HD in the PS360 era was like night and day... the shift to 4K/HDR? Yeah, it is great looking, but not so much that it makes me sit there "stunned"... Horizon looks phenomenal on the standard PS4 and a little better on the Pro. Wolfenstein looks phenomenal on the Pro and a little better on the XB1X, but, again, is it going to push XB sales? It will make a difference in initial sales to the core XB gamer, but I don't see it selling all that great when most consumers are looking primarily at price.

Journey

Banned
In all honesty, the PS4 Pro version looks amazing and almost the same as the XB1X version... if the only way to see the differences is through a side-by-side comparison, then why pay an additional $100 just for a few multiplayer games? The difference from standard definition to HD in the PS360 era was like night and day... the shift to 4K/HDR? Yeah, it is great looking, but not so much that it makes me sit there "stunned"... Horizon looks phenomenal on the standard PS4 and a little better on the Pro. Wolfenstein looks phenomenal on the Pro and a little better on the XB1X, but, again, is it going to push XB sales? It will make a difference in initial sales to the core XB gamer, but I don't see it selling all that great when most consumers are looking primarily at price.

The same argument could've been said for Xbox One, games like Ryse Son of Rome were a great example of what the console could do, but that doesn't take away the fact that PS4 could do so much better, likely the same game but at 1080p instead of 900p along with a more stable framerate.

Xbox One games looked good and deserving of current gen, but PS4 games looked better and matched 1080p displays better. Pro games may look good, but Xbox One X games look better and are a better match for 4K TVs and as already seen with recent game analysis, can improve games greatly even when played on 1080p displays.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

As someone who has done direct comparisons on a 4k display. The difference is more than a little.

The difference is wider than Xbox one vs pS4.

Journey

Banned
Sure when you zoom in like that it looks like a large difference. Not so much when playing in real world conditions in the living room. In that situation the difference is far less pronounced IMO.

Like I said, I personally find 720 to 1080p to be a more noticeable difference rather than anything over about 1440p which was more answering to what Slash76 was asking.

I play on a 65" display, there's no need for zooming in. On large displays we can even see differences from 900p to 1080p and that's a tiny bump compared with 1440p vs 2160p.

As Nikana already pointed out, when playing these games on a 4K display, the difference is substantial, more so than PS4 vs Xbox One.

rokkerkory

A few mp games? How about ALL of them?

For the gamers that want the best console, yeah it'll sell well. Which is what it's originally intended to do.

mad597

Banned
Yup, it's lame!

If you don't care about the X, why not just avoid related threads?

Unnecessary salt.

Sonygaf
Sony fans are completely triggered that their little self identifying Sony box isn't the top dog anymore. They are acting like kids in a school yard caping for their dad. Sony fans simply can't deal with being second rate again spent $400 just to run worse versions of games and lose out on every DF face off. Sad and pathetic but this is the state of Sony gamers these days, now they hope for a PS5 soon to drop another $400 + in hopes of getting an advantage back.

Lord_Santa

Neo Member
I read through this entire thread and people are arguing over boxes of plastic and metal. Just enjoy your games instead of arguing with individuals on the internet over which is better.

If gaming is a hobby you enjoy then just get all three consoles and be happy. You can play multiplatform games on Xbox while still enjoying Sony and Nintendo's amazing exclusives. If you can't afford all three then decide what's more important to you and buy the console that satisfies your needs.

I think we could all do with a bit more maturity here.

JaxBriggs

I play on a 65" display, there's no need for zooming in.

I play on a 60" 4k screen and IMHO the differences aren't as pronounced as you're making it sound. Like I said when zoomed in on still pictures you can see details like that, but when in everyday conditions with the games in motion, not so much.

Again I'm talking relative to games 1440p and above here.

Man its been a while since I've witnessed real console war haterism. The pro vs x debate has been pretty entertaining thus far. Im just glad I have an X instead of a pro

**runs away laughing**

JaxBriggs

I think the debate is dying off already. I was expecting more really heated reactions around the net but that doesn't appear to be the case.

The X was drummed up to be a more expensive box with stronger hardware and I think we got what was promised. There's no megatons here and no shady PR from either side. It just is what it is.

I play on a 60" 4k screen and IMHO the differences aren't as pronounced as you're making it sound. Like I said when zoomed in on still pictures you can see details like that, but when in everyday conditions with the games in motion, not so much.

Again I'm talking relative to games 1440p and above here.
I agree as well. I myself own an Xbox one x and I'm considering returning it to the store. I also have a switch, PC, and a pro. Honestly, the difference between them is not noticeable. The difference between my switch and everything else is noticeable but, I struggle to notice noteworthy difference between my 1080 and pro. The exception to this is framerate and that's due to the CPU not the GPU. I expected more and I wish the extra power on the x was used towards more graphical effects, physics, etc and not just a resolution boost with better shadows. My 1080 is gathering dust because it's underutilized. As long as devs target 1080p on the PS4, then we should expect 1440p to checkerboard 4k on the pro and 1800p to native 4k on the X.

forgedbygeeks

Neo Member
No, I bought it because I wanted to experience the best version of some games and I had the spare money - it was a completely informed decision, I then sold it on for close to what I paid for it.

The CPUs will be holding devs back I can assure you, even at launch they were considered weak - in a couple years devs will want that extra CPU power to feed the more powerful GPUs and create more complicated AIs (etc)

You can make the same CPU argument for all console generations though.

The reality is consumers will pay more for better graphics, but won't pay more for a better CPU to put a few extra characters on screen or other AI enhancements.

It is also worth noting that building games to take more advantage of the extra CPU power is a lot more expensive for developers than building better graphics. There are a lot of artists and graphics programmers that can do amazing work with a better GPU but there are few AI or VI or Deep Learning or Neural Net or Decision Tree developers that work in the video games space to do the great CPU focused work needed. Most of them work at Google or Microsoft on machine learning systems making more than most studios pay 8 to 10 of their current devs.

We will continue to see CPU advance and will continue to see few games really take advantage of them. I bet that if you ran a profiler against most games on the PS4 and X1, you would find that less than 5% of the games effectively use all available CPU cores and less than 30% even try to use more than 2 or 4 cores outside of a few options built into SDKs to automatically offload things like Audio processing from Core0 to Core5 or stuff like that.

Dabanton

Some people used to feast on DF comparisons for PS4 and Xbox 1 including yes lots of zooming in to show jaggies and other low res textures? Whats changed recently that these are now seen as tacky?

JaxBriggs

Some people used to feast on DF comparisons for PS4 and Xbox 1 including yes lots of zooming in to show jaggies and other low res textures? Whats changed recently that these are now seen as tacky?

I think the big difference is how the platform holders handled those comparisons at the start of the gen. We used to see MS arguing how there was no (or smaller than thought) difference in performance, how the XB1 was 'engineered for balance', or how the 'power of the cloud' was going to make the Xbox more powerful over time.

We're not really getting any of that now. Yes the Xbox One X is more powerful, and nobody from Sony is disputing that. At least from what I can tell.

There's just less drama for people to latch onto now I think. One box is clearly more powerful than the other and that's just a fact.

Something wrt to diminishing returns im sure

I know you're being facetious but I feel as we see higher resolutions coming into play, diminishing returns is a very real thing.

I'm playing solely on PC these days and I'm still playing at 1080p with all the visuals cranked to max because I'd rather have that than higher resolutions and a struggling frame rate.

Sepultura

Is there a proper comparison which shows the Volumetric lighting changes in the patch vs disc version? I know NXGamer covered it but they only showed the beginning area and that too not in detail. Would like to see some later sections of the game and see how big the difference is to decide wherher to install the patch or not.

Jetboxx

You mean DOA4? Not 3...Played the hell out of DOA3 on OG XBOX, I still have that game amongst others mind you......

As for those comparisons, people believed that the character models were not the huge uplift they expected for a new gen, Itagaki claimed he wanted to maintian "a special look for the girls", so people complained that they looked like dolls and were not shooting for realism with the better hardware.....I also think that DOA3's environments were already pretty amazing, loved the colors, the textures etc...(forest, snow stage, japanese garden, wasn't there a stage where they threw you down a flight of stairs? these were my favourites)...So DOA4's stages had more effects, but it was not transformational per se, but it was a much prettier game in terms of IQ, DOA4 was one of the cleanest looking games (AA) at the 360 launch/window and I always liked how it looked. Tbh, I prefer how the environments look in DOA3/4 over 5, the models are better in 5, effects are better, but don't like the subdued colors and some of the weak textures.....This is the area where Itagaki really nailed it IMO, colors and textures, same can be said of his NG games as opposed to Razors'd edge. Environments looked a bit more organic in his titles.....
Itagaki nailed it in all the areas. After he left, Team Ninja Dog raped and killed DoA and Ninja Gaiden. Just look at these soulless DoA5 characters!

Sonygaf
Sony fans are completely triggered that their little self identifying Sony box isn't the top dog anymore. They are acting like kids in a school yard caping for their dad. Sony fans simply can't deal with being second rate again spent $400 just to run worse versions of games and lose out on every DF face off. Sad and pathetic but this is the state of Sony gamers these days, now they hope for a PS5 soon to drop another $400 + in hopes of getting an advantage back.

SonyGAF in a nutshell. Now every head to head DF article their mission is to downplay every single positive thing X has to offer. Fn sad, really..while in reality brutality and no mercy any game you put up against X.

Top Bottom