• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

Not this b.s. again. Consoles will never beat high end gaming computers. I understand clickbait titles gets clicks, which become revenue. But Jesus, this is so cringe to see people actually believing a $500 or $600 plastic box will beat high end desktop is not only absurd, but a pipe dream at best.

A locked DRM box that will allow zero configuration internally and graphically. Facts.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They better do, otherwise all the tech put into XBX will be basically wasted and used only in a bunch 1st party titles (unless automatically being utilized without devs interference). But reading how many custom hardware-based features are build into that 360mm chip, and furthermore is backed up by Microsoft's proprietary software solutions, I can see Sony going with a more simple, but still powerful system, like the rumored 14-15TF, which would be more beneficial for all the 3rd party titles out there, because it would be accessible just like that, without any effort.

USB 3.2 Gen 1 already offers 5Gbps bandwidth, Gen 2 10Gbps, Gen 2x2 20Gbps, so even the base Gen 1 connection offers enough bandwidth for XBX SSDs, so that's not the issue, the problem is the drives themselves, how many of them offer (steady) 2.4Gbps bandwidth? IMO it's a good move from MS to secure the integrity of the solution, otherwise I can see shitloads of people cheaping out with a typical 1-1.5Gbps drives, or SATA SSDs for the matter, or even old HDDs like I can already read in lots of the comments... And the best part? They would blame the console/MS if something wasn't working well.

But the funniest thing is, it was such an awesome idea back when it was rumored what Sony was going to do for PS5, but once it turn out it's MS who actually pulled it out for XBX it's all of a sudden a terrible, anti-consumer practice xD People don't have the console yet, didn't even start filling the build-in 1TB drives (with said build-in compression), and are already moaning about a theoretical issue that doesn't exist... Get a life some of you pathetic nerds, for real...
USB offer speed in Gb/s NVme SSDs offers speed in GB/s so 20Gbps is just 2.5GB/s and that's only theoretical.

How does this metric compare to NVIDIA's Gigarays/second? Seems to be quite different, for example the RTX 2080 Ti "only" packs 10 billion rays/second. What does "intersections per second" mean?
This is exactly what I was wondering.
Also, keep in mind, that nextgen games are going to be heavily compressed, meaning that those games will take MUCH LESS space, so 1TB of that is worth much more than TBof current gen.
Game assets are already compressed, PS4 features hardware based compression/decompression of the data on games media, I am fairly sure the one has that as well... 1TB is a measurement unit for storage in this case, compressing the data means you could put more (depending on the asset type), not that the storage is worth more.

Mass Shift

@Evilms put a nice comparison in the speculation thread based on Nvidia's numbers.

0DvPAYp.png

So Nvidia was using a similar performance metric for RT. I guess that means some people are going to have get over this

no-salt-required-85547511.jpg

ZywyPL

Banned
Thanks, but this is comparing apples to oranges. RT-OPS =/= "TF equivalents", AFAIK.

Shadows=shadows, reflections=reflections, GI=GI. You want better and more shadows, you need more computing power, you want better and more reflections, you need more processing power, and RT cores is what gives exactly that to those specific applications. We have stuff like Nvidia's HBAO, VXAO, PCSS, HFTS etc. that don't need RT at all, but they tank the performance because of how much computing power (TFlops) they require.

So Nvidia was using a similar performance metric for RT. I guess that means some people are going to have get over this

no-salt-required-85547511.jpg
What's interesting is.
NVIDIA stated that the GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q powered gaming notebook is faster than the next-gen consoles that are expected to debut next year in 2020
From history, Nvidia laptop gpu's (Max q variants) are essentially a level below their listed title. For instance a Max-Q gtx 1080 performs similar to a desktop gtx 1070.

If this holds true again this generation, a RTX 2070 will beat the XSEX.

Mass Shift

What's interesting is.
From history, Nvidia laptop gpu's (Max q variants) are essentially a level below their listed title. For instance a Max-Q gtx 1080 performs similar to a desktop gtx 1070.

I hear you, but they aren't using the same RT. Just the same performance metric based on their RT.

I hear you, but they aren't using the same RT. Just the same performance metric based on their RT.
We don't know the performance of it, and probably won't know till the end of this year. But to think it will compete, or even be better than current solutions, is crazy to believe, especially in a mainstream living room device. Casuals aren't prepared to pay the prices to be on enthusiasts levels of hardware.

From videos, it doesn't look as impressive as Nvidia raytracing implementation in Minecraft

Last edited:

xool

That "25TF" minecraft demo is almost certainly totally irrelevant to normal RT in games.

Minecraft geometry is 99% exactly axis aligned cubes in a 3d grid. You don't need octree traversal to find first intersection at all .. the efficient way to do this is to step through the axises on the grid - this is raymarching, similar to that used with signed-distance-fields, but even simpler because you just need to find the first non-zero value in a 3d texture (which is the voxel map) ..

tldr google "volumetric raymarcher"

..also
  • B+ for hardware. Tiny bit disappointed about 16GB, was hoping 20GB
  • D- for presentation .. honestly the Minecraft demo can look amazing, here it looked like "who turned the lights off" .. also the Gears demo - I'm sure it looks amazing, unfortunately I'm watching on youtube .. no sure how that is supposed to work even DF's stream was 1080p60 max
  • Hard F for Austin Evans .. sorry dude go back to presentation school.

Dunnas

What's interesting is.

Why would you focus on that stupid statement by NVIDIA when we know it is 12.155TF rdna2. It will perform much better than a 5700xt, so I don’t understand how you think what you’re saying is possibly true. I can only assume you’re just a massive troll.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Realy good specs, be interesting to hear some news from Sony now. Hoping both consoles are similar so us gamers get the best games we can

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Component
Bluetooth support
Xbox Series X controller​
yes​
Xbox Series X console
no​

ok
Bluetooth for the controller is to connect to other devices (PC, smartphones, etc.). With the console it connects via a different method that is more performant than bluetooth. Here's an article on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

psorcerer

Banned
D DoctaThompson
Here we have the real benchmarks from the horse mouth.
2080Ti, BVH traversal is at 3200Mhps (mega hits per second) = 3.2Bhps
It's still much much lower than MSFT 380Bhps stated in the PR.
I do think that MSFT figure is inflated, I just don't know how.
But until we know that, I would stop with 25T vs 78T bullshit. :)

Last edited:

-kb-

D DoctaThompson
Here we have the real benchmarks from the horse mouth.
2080Ti, BVH traversal is at 3200Mhps (mega hits per second) = 3.2Bhps
It's still much much lower than MSFT 380Bhps stated in the PR.
I do think that MSFT figure is inflated, I just don't know how.
But until we know that, I would stop with 25T vs 78T bullshit. :)

I can't see that quote anywhere in the book? can you quote it exactly.

Last edited:

Three

How do you believe we solve the issue then? Any USB storage system can't match the speeds they require (and you can still use if you want to) What other non proprietary system exists for plug and play with these internal speeds?
Can you tell me what speeds it has? Because NVMe.

Last edited:

Senua

It's the take of a PC focus and oriented site, what people make of it and/or believe I could give 2 shits about.
I didn't read the article nor care for it, posting as I just came across it while reading - end of discussion.
You could?

stranno

To work on the new console they said didn’t they?
To work on XBOX One retro-compatibility for Scarlett. Not 360 or XBOX.

Series X is probably featuring exactly the same dashboard based on Windows 10 kernel. Retro-compatibility wont expand magically.

Last edited:

xool

Bluetooth for the controller is to connect to other devices (PC, smartphones, etc.). With the console it connects via a different method that is more performant than bluetooth. Here's an article on it.

mmh interesting.

Would be nice if they enabled it for people with bluetooth headphones/soundbars etc though ..

Mista

Banned
I’m not a fan of the same detachable batteries. For fuck sake why can’t we have a built-in battery like PS and Nintendo?

The only thing I don’t like from all of the reveal. I get it you wanna sell accessories or whatever the next plug and play is but its still STUPID!

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I’m not a fan of the same detachable batteries. For fuck sake why can’t we have a built-in battery like PS and Nintendo?

The only thing I don’t like from all of the reveal. I get it you wanna sell accessories or whatever the next plug and play is but its still STUPID!
Because when the battery fails you have to replace the controller, with detachable u just replace the battery

Rolla

Banned
Where are the games?

The hardware looked really intuitive but they showcased that thing with State Of Decay, and Minecraft ray tracing. All hype aside, that showing had zero impact. It didn't trend on social media. The YT channel with the most views 24 hours later isn't even a gaming channel.

Microsoft needs better traction that this. It seems like they're focusing on us and as a result, they got 2 million views. That's abysmal when you consider that there are 160 (current gen) console owners out there and all they managed was 2 million views.

It's about games. Not what Phil Spencer said. Games! Not an SSD, TFLOPS, suspend and resume, or the fan speed. Games! And so far XBOX hasn't gained any traction beyond the hardcore conversation and that only changes when they showcase games. Halo, Gears, Minecraft Raytracing, and State Of decay will not cut it.

They need to showcase games that gain traction! Halo/Gears/Forza looks like more of the same.

Last edited:

xool

We need a separate thread for this battle .. but basically - 2 highquality AA NiMH have the same capacity as the DS4 battery, and when they go flat you can just put a new pair in (no cables needed) or plug the thing in .. it's win-win.

The alternative, which I would be totally fine is replaceable Li-Ion batteries.

I never plugged my 360 controller in once. My PS4 controller has spent half its lifetime plugged in, including a long period when the battery died before I replaced it .. imo one is obviously far more 'wireless' than the other

psorcerer

Banned
Just as I thought your comparing two different things. The XSX numbers is number of BVH traversals a second, this seems to be something else.

It's ray intersections per second.
Measuring traversal per second seems stupid though.
But maybe the whole point was to get the max number possible.

-kb-

It's ray intersections per second.
Measuring traversal per second seems stupid though.
But maybe the whole point was to get the max number possible.

Yeah it does but its what they did. I'm honestly not sure why they used that number though because the triangle test number is faster maybe because the BVH is more relevant?.

psorcerer

Banned
Yeah it does but its what they did. I'm honestly not sure why they used that number though because the triangle test number is faster maybe because the BVH is more relevant?.

I now think it's because it has a nice PR buzz.
Without knowing how exactly they built that BVH it's totally meaningless.

M1chl

NO. Eneloops for life, take your shitty build-in batter elsewhere. I am really glad it stay as it is. Thanks in advance...

POTUS

Banned
Games are huge this generation because they are designed for HDDs. The same assets are duplicated 6x on the HDD to compensate for the slow seek speeds of traditional drives.

The same games but built for SSDs would be a fourth of the size due to not needing asset duplication,

M1chl

The fuck is your problem? I literally said this when someone made a good point!

That's where we disagree, I haven't read anything before that.

But you can replace the battery of a DS4 Controller. It's more complicated and if you're a brute you'll damage your controller but it's not like it's soldered in.

Top Bottom