• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

Mista

Banned
This is my question for microsoft
YZO6d7m.jpg

After this reveals they made
You have to wait for the answer then

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
What's interesting is.
From history, Nvidia laptop gpu's (Max q variants) are essentially a level below their listed title. For instance a Max-Q gtx 1080 performs similar to a desktop gtx 1070.

If this holds true again this generation, a RTX 2070 will beat the XSEX.
That's not what Nvidia said. Nvidia said it's faster than a "next gen console". Singular. They are either talking about PS5 (if it is at 9.2 TF) or Lockhart (if it exists).

ZywyPL

Banned
So the Xbox Series X is confirmed to have no games at launch or during its lifetime? Where's your source for this?

Apparently Sony bought EA, Acti, Ubi, Bethesda, CDPR, Bungie, Blizz, etc., pretty much every single publisher/dev studio that doesn't belong to MS yet. Or they will have a complete exclusivity deal on every single game that doesn't come out from MS studios. Fanboys logic LMFAO.

Sacred

I don't read them.
Eurogamer became like Kotaku approx 5 years ago. Don't read them since.
But they were hardcore PCMR/MSFT shills back then too. The worst kind: they shill for MSFT only because they think it will throw them more PC-port bones.
And in the end it seems like it's happening. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They have been very harsh on Xbox hardware and ports all gen until the X came out. You are literally just spouting incoherent nonsense.

Banned
1TB won't do anything with todays game sizes and patches honestly

well I will most likely keep all backwards compatible games on external drives, and save the internal ones on both for new games. this is of course if the PS5 supports external USB drives as well

Roberts

They have been very harsh on Xbox hardware and ports all gen until the X came out. You are literally just spouting incoherent nonsense.

And even then they always point out when a multiplat game underperforms on X which is good, because developers listen and fix it (for the most part).

Mista

Banned
well I will most likely keep all backwards compatible games on external drives, and save the internal ones on both for new games. this is of course if the PS5 supports external USB drives as well
Of course its going to support it

Flick

Banned
Where’s the god damn Xbox hype train at, what platform, and why am I not on it yet?

Come on people, this is serious shit here. The PS5 one is already at the damn station!

🚅🚅🚅🚅🚅 Choo choo mother fuckersssssssssssss!

What do you expected? It’s SonyGAF. Everyone else is at era.

lukilladog

Again, raytracing was going to be a part of next-gen no matter what. But two years ago, there was no feasible path forward to get to this level of performance other than 25 teraflops. Therefore, it's as if we were rendering @ 25 teraflops to get to this level of raytracing if we had no RT acceleration hw. Which is all that I'm interested in.

Dedicated hardware for raytracing has been a thing for years or decades now, and it always was faster than gpu´s at this task. Not even nvidia was so lame to measure their rt stuff in tflops.

E-Cat

Dedicated hardware for raytracing has been a thing for years or decades now, and it always was faster than gpu´s at this task.
Yes, I am well aware. Yet it was introduced to mainstream GPUs just now. There was no guarantee it was going to happen for another 5 years.

Why would you focus on that stupid statement by NVIDIA when we know it is 12.155TF rdna2. It will perform much better than a 5700xt, so I don’t understand how you think what you’re saying is possibly true. I can only assume you’re just a massive troll.
Did you think before posting? Has Microsoft came out and said it's console is better than a certain gpu? No. Nvidia's said their laptop gpu is better than next gen consoles. I would much rather listen to the leader of graphics of the world, than some internet fanboy who obviously doesn't have a fucking clue. Nvidia wouldn't make a claim like that unless they know for a fact, and they definitely do.

That's not what Nvidia said. Nvidia said it's faster than a "next gen console". Singular. They are either talking about PS5 (if it is at 9.2 TF) or Lockhart (if it exists).
Keep telling yourself that. Again, i would rather listen to the leader who has no completion for the most powerful gpu's in the world, than some internet fanboy on a forum, who has no proof and no clue.

Dane

Where’s the god damn Xbox hype train at, what platform, and why am I not on it yet?

Come on people, this is serious shit here. The PS5 one is already at the damn station!

🚅🚅🚅🚅🚅 Choo choo mother fuckersssssssssssss!

What do you expect from a gaming forum?

chitzy

Banned
So this is pretty much guaranteed a $500 price tag right? I don't see it coming in under that with all that power under the hood.

Dunnas

Did you think before posting? Has Microsoft came out and said it's console is better than a certain gpu? No. Nvidia's said their laptop gpu is better than next gen consoles. I would much rather listen to the leader of graphics of the world, than some internet fanboy who obviously doesn't have a fucking clue. Nvidia wouldn't make a claim like that unless they know for a fact, and they definitely do.

Keep telling yourself that. Again, i would rather listen to the leader who has no completion for the most powerful gpu's in the world, than some internet fanboy on a forum, who has no proof and no clue.
I'd rather not listen to anybody and use common sense, however I understand that is hard to fathom given that it is in such short supply these days.

A card that has 25% higher TF (and not based on a boost clock) on newer architecture than a card that is already a match of the 2070, is not going to be slower than a 2070. I'm pretty sure a 10 year old could understand that.

You call me a fanboy, yet you are the one acting irrationally to defend PC gaming for some reason. We all know that the current cards (and next gen consoles) are going to be blown out of the water by both AMD and Nvidia by the end of the year, so you don't need to be so worried if the consoles are around 2080S class. You'll be able to take a picture of your hand holding your new 3080ti box to post online to feel all superior again soon enough.

I'd rather not listen to anybody and use common sense, however I understand that is hard to fathom given that it is in such short supply these days.

A card that has 25% higher TF (and not based on a boost clock) on newer architecture than a card that is already a match of the 2070, is not going to be slower than a 2070. I'm pretty sure a 10 year old could understand that.

You call me a fanboy, yet you are the one acting irrationally to defend PC gaming for some reason. We all know that the current cards (and next gen consoles) are going to be blown out of the water by both AMD and Nvidia by the end of the year, so you don't need to be so worried if the consoles are around 2080S class. You'll be able to take a picture of your hand holding your new 3080ti box to post online to feel all superior again soon enough.
Common sense alone tells me to never go by TERRORFLOPS. It's the dumbest metric to go by, and people who do, don't have much common sense. You can come up with whatever conclusion you want to, but until AMD, MS, or Sony officially come out and say otherwise, I would much rather listen to the king of graphics.

You can put whatever spin you want to, and come to whatever conclusion as well, but there is no evidence to counter Nvidia claim. Not even you can counter it.

And it's funny you bring up my 2080 TI post. Some Fanboys didn't believe I have one. So what's wrong with proving someone wrong? Cause your failing to prove Nvidia's or I wrong.

Longcat

Anyone found any videos that focus on the controller? I want to how the dpad is this time around. The clicky xbone dpad is such a pain to use for 2D games.

Anyone found any videos that focus on the controller? I want to how the dpad is this time around. The clicky xbone dpad is such a pain to use for 2D games.

its somewhere around 18 minute into the DF hands on video they talk controller. They talk about the d-pad, bumpers, everything

looks slick as hell to me

Dunnas

Common sense alone tells me to never go by TERRORFLOPS. It's the dumbest metric to go by, and people who do, don't have much common sense. You can come up with whatever conclusion you want to, but until AMD, MS, or Sony officially come out and say otherwise, I would much rather listen to the king of graphics.

You can put whatever spin you want to, and come to whatever conclusion as well, but there is no evidence to counter Nvidia claim. Not even you can counter it.

And it's funny you bring up my 2080 TI post. Some Fanboys didn't believe I have one. So what's wrong with proving someone wrong? Cause your failing to prove Nvidia's or I wrong.
We're not going by TF alone though. We have RDNA1 cards and know how they stack up TF for TF with Nvidia cards. Unless you think there will be IPC losses going from RDNA1 to RDNA2, we know all we need to know to determine that it will not perform worse than a 2070. Based on your previous posts i've seen it seems like you might have some weird idea that because the consoles use SoC's, that the GPU's are much less performant than a PC card with the same architecture and TF's.

Why are you assuming that Nvidia actually had enough information about the final console specs, a few months ago, to even be able to make such a comment with any degree of certainty.

As for them coming out and saying anything. In the Diginal Foundry video they did say that with full PC Ultra settings, Gears 5 is already benchmarking in line with a 2080, without any actual optimisation for the console. That is definitely a fact. As for the talk from others i've seen about 100+ FPS on the SX compared to 60's on the 2080ti, there is no basis for that talk that i'm aware of, as while they did mention they have it running at around 100FPS (and are considering a 120FPS mode), there wasn't anything said about that still being at native 4K, full ultra settings and with contact shadoes and global illumination.

Last edited:

xool

no evidence that they changed the sensors (or did) .. just a new shape

Banned

I think it is still clicky, but optimised.
I personally have no issue with the clicky dpad, but I would like membrane RB and LB buttons.

Longcat

its somewhere around 18 minute into the DF hands on video they talk controller. They talk about the d-pad, bumpers, everything

Yeah, seems like a winner as usual. Since I play on PC I've always loved the Xbox pads for everything not dpad based. Shit is comfy and just works. But I'm a dpad snob, and the Xbox dpads have never been very good, so I'm looking for more in-depth videos. For starters, I need to know how it sounds, if it's still clicky. Because if it is, in the garbage it goes.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Thanks for that info.

I just checked out the controller talk and am thrilled to learn they are virtually eliminating input lag. It's one of THE most annoying things in gaming and the reason I have to replace my controller a few times each gen. I have been known to beat the shit out of my controller when I have died due to input lag.

JLMC469

Banned
A lot of insiders say this consoles are extremely close in terms of power. If I had to bet I would say, PS5 11.6 tflops vs Series X 12.15 tflops with the PS5 having a faster SSD (it’s been Sony’s focal point from the get go).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I thought it was interesting that DF made a point of saying that the XSX APU is the chip that will power Xcloud and it can be used to virtualize 4 Xbone S consoles simultaneously. Anyone think this will be a feature available to home users? Specifically the ability to stream 4 games at once, assuming they are not XSX titles. Would be an interesting feature, maybe multiple people could use the same console via the console companion app on PC or similar.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
A lot of insiders say this consoles are extremely close in terms of powers. If I had to bet I would say, PS5 11.6 tflops vs Series X 12.15 tflops with the PS5 having a faster SSD (it’s been Sony’s focal point from the get go).

This is what I’ve been saying for a while now, and whatever evidence I’ve had has pointed towards it. That the ps5 won’t lead in flops, but in other others it will, but when it all comes down to it they are essentially twins.

Of course, I’ll be dragged through the streets regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Truth be told, right now, I’ve got bigger fish to fry. I too have symptoms, and serious chest pains that have been getting worse these last few days, so I’m self isolating myself and my wife/kid. So to be perfectly blunt, right now... I’m not overly fussed.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This is what I’ve been saying for a while now, and whatever evidence I’ve had has pointed towards it. That the ps5 won’t lead in flops, but in other others it will, but when it all comes down to it they are essentially twins.

Of course, I’ll be dragged through the streets regardless of what happens tomorrow.

Truth be told, right now, I’ve got bigger fish to fry. I too have symptoms, and serious chest pains that have been getting worse these last few days, so I’m self isolating myself and my wife/kid. So to be perfectly blunt, right now... I’m not overly fussed.

Oh Shit man, sorry to hear that. Take care of yourself and your family.

Banned
I thought it was interesting that DF made a point of saying that the XSX APU is the chip that will power Xcloud and it can be used to virtualize 4 Xbone S consoles simultaneously. Anyone think this will be a feature available to home users? Specifically the ability to stream 4 games at once, assuming they are not XSX titles. Would be an interesting feature, maybe multiple people could use the same console via the console companion app on PC or similar.

that would be a cool feature, but I bet these servers have additional hardware to handle 4 OS instances

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Our company has had everyone working from home the past week.

Man is it boring as fuck without fellow employees around. Conference calls and messenger are not the same.

DaGwaphics

that would be a cool feature, but I bet these servers have additional hardware to handle 4 OS instances

Probably, though doesn't MS run all games in a Hyper V container, maybe the system can spin up multiple containers. I just thought it was weird for DF to put that information out there. But there were other oddities (why tell us how many CUs are disabled), so likely nothing.

Edit: Thinking about it, the system wouldn't have enough memory or bandwidth to support this in the console. Server blade probably has more of both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom