• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Series X: Thermal + Power Consumption Analysis.

Mildudon

Rich takes a look at how hot the Series X gets. Can you use it to grill with, will it be to loud under load or hot. Find out now by watching the video.

4j210n.jpg

Last edited:
Watching it now and looks very good.

If it really is more quiet than Xbox One X as DF suggest that is crazy impressive as I was playing with no sound on last night after my podcast finished and could only barely hear it from where I was sitting. I can hear my PS4 with open back headphones on pretty clearly unless I really crank the volume.

longdi

Banned
Amd 7nm has great heat density. And it looks like MS has successfully cooled it in that the performance is sustained. :messenger_bicep:

NullZ3r0

Banned
So there it is. Xbox Series X feels hotter because it concentrates the heat exhaust out of one small area. On previous consoles this was a wider area. On the PS5, the entire rear is exhaust.

RayHell

62 Degrees C (143.6 f) in top of the console. DF recommend to not put the console in an enclosed space. I wonder if those Ikea Kallax are too tight for Series X with less than one inch of clearance.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
What is this like the third site/person to run these tests already? That overheating bs aged well.
About that...

“The unit is designed to funnel in cool air from the base, take it through the console, then propel it out of the top - and that's where you find the ultimate heat centre for the console, lighting up in spectacular style on the thermal camera. Here, I noted a maximum of 62c - hotter than any console I've tested before, which is not surprising as this is the most powerful console I've tested. Put your hand above the console and you can feel the heat escape. In common with any console really, you do need to ensure that hot air can escape, so keeping Series X in an enclosed space is not a good idea.”

A BC title not talking full use of the hardware... I wonder which the temps of the APU runs to generate 62C external heat.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
7nm RDNA2 chip is significantly more efficient than 16nm last-gen chip, what a surprise.

Well both the Radeon VII and RX 5700/XT do get hot despite being made in 7nm process. Same goes for Ryzen CPUs which are doing quite OK in a desktop application with all those huge cases and dozens of fans/AIOs, but in laptops/Mini ITX build they often throttle hard. And now in consoles we have a combo of the two stacked into really small, tight boxes. So yeah, that's quite an accomplishment we are seeing here from both AMD an MS.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
SO I cant heat my apartment with an Xbox Series X?

21232098_10212335657460984_5363986039272355180_n-150x150.jpg

About that...

“The unit is designed to funnel in cool air from the base, take it through the console, then propel it out of the top - and that's where you find the ultimate heat centre for the console, lighting up in spectacular style on the thermal camera. Here, I noted a maximum of 62c - hotter than any console I've tested before, which is not surprising as this is the most powerful console I've tested. Put your hand above the console and you can feel the heat escape. In common with any console really, you do need to ensure that hot air can escape, so keeping Series X in an enclosed space is not a good idea.”

A BC title not talking full use of the hardware... I wonder which the temps of the APU runs to generate 62C external heat.

Gears 5 on Series X is a native RDNA 2 title.

The APU temperature shouldnt really matter unless the heatsink is the worst heat sink ever made, give or take 10 degrees its still well below any TjMax........a good air cooler on a good processor should hover in the 70 degree range.
The Exhaust being 62C means the core itslef is somewhere around there as well.

ethomaz

Banned
SO I cant heat my apartment with an Xbox Series X?

21232098_10212335657460984_5363986039272355180_n-150x150.jpg

Gears 5 on Series X is a native RDNA 2 title.

The APU temperature shouldnt really matter unless the heatsink is the worst heat sink ever made, give or take 10 degrees its still well below any TjMax........a good air cooler on a good processor should hover in the 70 degree range.
The Exhaust being 62C means the core itslef is somewhere around there as well.
Gears 5 is a old-gen game patched to take advantage of the additional Xbox Series X... not a game made to take advantage of Xbox Series X.

These are two different concepts... only the second will take full advantage of the hardware... that is why even DF acknowledged that future next-gen only games should have increase numbers in both power draw and heat.

It is fair because it was their only option to test the system.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
62ºC at the top damn. But that's the 'exaust' so to speak, so that's not in the insides. The hot air is supposed to leave. Just don't put that in an enclosed space and you'll be fine.

Seems efficient enough.
I guess from the top you have pretty direct access to the cooler on APU itself? I think that's a fine temp. I think it would be better to show with some higher-resolution IR camera, because this way you don't really see where does it points to.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Wow. The console that was tested over and over again in multiple stress tests in the run up to its release function absolutely fine.

Its almost as if these things are thought about for years, and designed to work properly as a consumer product.

This goes for both XSX and Ps5, so if you genuinely think either has massive issues with cooling or reliability, you are, as your mother describes you when you’re not in the room: a fucking idiot.

intbal

good analysis by DF ...... but the power consumption on newer titles will be higher....compared to BC titles

Will it?
These are all BC games they're testing, right? Doesn't that mean the CPU is running in single-threaded mode? That would mean a 3.8Ghz clock speed instead of the 3.6Ghz clock in SMT mode. Does that make a difference in power consumption and heat? I don't know. I wish they could specifically test that and clarify.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Will it?
These are all BC games they're testing, right? Doesn't that mean the CPU is running in single-threaded mode? That would mean a 3.8Ghz clock speed instead of the 3.6Ghz clock in SMT mode. Does that make a difference in power consumption and heat? I don't know. I wish they could specifically test that and clarify.
the users will test it after it launches......but it looks good so far

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Why does Phil Interact with these losers on Twitter.

1nAMYzc.png
Hey Colt's not bad. Some of the other yahoos though he parades around with though...Timdog for example. I mean yea he's an insider of sorts, but I just don't like how biased he is. Same goes for Dealer. You can have your opinion and even state facts without being condescending. However, you gotta understand who they are talking to. Plenty of Sony Fanboys watch them so they are often met with vitriol. Only so much I would take before verbally destroying people one at a time as well, if I'm being honest.

Last edited:
The "overheating" FUD was put to bed a long time ago, but it's nice to get further confirmation that it's bullshit.

System runs whisper quiet even under full load and is much more powerful, yet uses a good bit less power, than One X.

Great stuff.

Why does Phil Interact with these losers on Twitter.

1nAMYzc.png

Oh no, he liked a tweet with a quote from Richard that someone posted, let's cancel him.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Good to have that hammered home one final time. I can't say it enough -- take rando tweets with a pinch of salt, for both new systems, and just in general.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Good to have that hammered home one final time. I can't say it enough -- take rando tweets with a pinch of salt, for both new systems, and just in general.
This time it was by some professionals from France, so I guess that's more of a valid stuff on the first look. Besides I am not sure if "violently hot" has the same implication in English. Mayne words can be used in one language, but they are awkward in others. But we agree that Twitter is cancer of current internet.

ethomaz

Banned
Just out of curiosity where does the Series X being super rumor come from?
From a Xbox YouTuber that received the console trying to touch it, screwing and removing the hand due the heat... and to be fair 62C will really toast your hand.

After that key Xbox Fans like Jez (Windows Central), Turrot (or something like), Jeff etc confirmed it is really heat on the top of the machine.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Come on, Rich.

Have you forgotten about your review for PS4 Pro 72XX revision?
v8DpuUI.png

No console should be stuffed into a small cabinet. This has been a no-no ever since the PS2 launched.

Probably because these temperatures are on rear and not top of the PS4 Pro.

BTW I don't have a PS4 Pro but it is criticized even today due these thermal issues.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Gears 5 is a old-gen game patched to take advantage of the additional Xbox Series X... not a game made to take advantage of Xbox Series X.

These are two different concepts... only the second will take full advantage of the hardware... that is why even DF acknowledged that future next-gen only games should have increase numbers in both power draw and heat.

It is fair because it was their only option to test the system.

Gears 5 is a native RDNA game on Series X.

It is effectively a port.

You saying its an old gen game that was patched, is the same as someone saying every port isnt taking advantage of the hardware its ported to it was just patched to work on the hardware.
Which doesnt make sense.

XB1 games running in compat mode are different to what Gears 5 is. In compat mode games are being emulated on the Series X, Gears 5 has been ported into becoming a native title, its already taking advantage of the Series X.

There is a difference.
Ports and Emulated titles arent one in the same, its part of the whole reason Smart Delivery is a thing.
Are all Smart Delivery games NOT taking advantage of the Series X?

So you gonna tell me Miles Morales on PS5 is NOT taking advantage of the PS4 because its actually a PS4 title that is prepatched to run on PS5?

See how dumb that sounds?

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Gears 5 is a native RDNA game on Series X.

It is effectively a port.

You saying its an old gen game that was patched, is the same as someone saying every port isnt taking advantage of the hardware its ported to it was just patched to work on the hardware.
Which doesnt make sense.

XB1 games running in compat mode are different to what Gears 5 is in compat mode games are being emulated on the Series X, Gears 5 has been ported into becoming a native title, its already taking advantage of the Series X.

There is a difference.
Ports and Emulated titles arent one in the same, its part of the whole reason Smart Delivery is a thing.
Are all Smart Delivery games NOT taking advantage of the Series X?

So you gonna tell me Miles Morales on PS5 is NOT taking advantage of the PS4 because its actually a PS4 title that is prepatched to run on PS5?

See how dumb that sounds?
Miles Morales is a cross-gen game made to run on PS5 and PS4.... so it uses more the hardware than Gears that is a last-gen game made to run on Xbox One that received a patch to run on Xbox Series X|S.
That is pretty clear.

Said that Miles Morales is nowhere near to use the full PS5 hardware because it is being hold back by PS4.

PS5 only games will take advantage of the hardware.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Miles Morales is a cross-gen game made to run on PS5 and PS4.... so it uses more the hardware than Gears that is a last-gen game made to run on Xbox One that received a patch to run on Xbox Series X|S.
That is pretty clear.

So Ports are fine or NO?

Ohh shit I just realized who I was talking to.....youre that guy.

Nevermind.
S'all good whatever your point was I agree if it will end the conversation now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom