• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Games of 2020: The John Linneman Collection

Fake

That game in Alpha stage looks so fucking bad, but I OK with the rest of the list. Personal is personal. The number 1 indeed I fully agree. I'm a Mega Drive fan after all.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
John mentioned King's Field when talking about Demon's Souls....my man.....

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
That was certainly varied list wish l could say the same about my list seems to be pretty much entirely TPS with GT Sport and Ori.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ori...a surprisingly challenging game. Dont sleep on that game. I havent played the sequel yet, but will soon.

Spokker

That was certainly varied list wish l could say the same about my list seems to be pretty much entirely TPS with GT Sport and Ori.
The variedness of my list could never compete with John's nicely made and varied list.

My list has, what, two genres, maybe three. Not very varied or nicely done at all.

This list just confirms that I haven't bought any 2020 games this year.
Too many games to play.
Same here. This year I finished the first Ori haha

I could not even find ten 2020 games that I've played, much less enough that I liked to fill a top 10 list. I think I could finally put together a top 10 of 2017 and or even 2018 right now.

Last edited:
Streets of rage 4 was an amazing return of a beloved franchise and it ticked off all the boxes as well as doing original things. So i can get on board with that.

All seem fine except for "Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2" so many reviewers praised that game, yet its not very fun for single player(imo). There is timers on everything and just arena skate areas. To top it off the number of areas are few in number and don't have many interactive things. I was expecting moving cars that you could hang on the bumper and pedestrians, etc... we got none of that. It was my fault for not researching the game more besides a few reviews, but even so it doesnt' deserve the praise aside for maybe a good remastering of two decade old art assets.
I prefer games without timers, and also open world. I guess I will have to wait for Skate 4 or what not (so possibly never).
Still don't see what all the hype around that remake was even about.

Half-life Alyx, sure looks good, wouldn't know as myself and millions of others dont own a super expensive vr headset required to play. Im sure the game is good, but would not put on game of the year...

My personal list would have Ghost of Tushima as top spot followed by Hades, then doom eternal. Demons souls and FF7 remake can be in the list somewhere. They are both remakes so theyt shouldn't be top of the list.

Last edited:

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I͉͖̘ ͉lo̘ok̠̠͈͙͈͚̤̕e̢̳̜͎͔̦̭̖ḓ͡ ̨̭̲̺̩͙̱int̀o̧͓̭̞̘̤̭ ̣̺̣t̯h͠e̳̰̪̼̙ ͉̫̯ͅa̫̻̤b̴̥̹͔͕͉ͅy͎̝s̥̣̥s̢̼͕͖̱ ̥͕a̧͍̬̹̯ņ̳̳̦̩̠̥d̲͕͎̰̘̭͜ ̯̟͇̝͠i͠t͕ ͓̣̭ͅl̡̰̻o͇o̭͝ke̸͈̳͇̭̯ͅd̷̰̰͓͚̲̟ ̶b̴͔͔̳͚̣a̗͜c̜͍̭̹ḱͅ ͟b̘͉̝̖̠͖u̡̼t̸̟͕ ̡̮͈̻̤̥I̩̲̣ ̶͕̤h̥̫̲̘̭̗̟a͕̫͈͖̱̤v͞e̴͚̹̥ ̠̻t̩̬̰̤̙̣o̞̬̰͍̖̝̝ s̛a̘̠̹̕y͖̗ ̧̥t̜̞̝̰̦̯ͅh̤͓͉̯ͅa̯t̨͎'̟̲͎͇̜s̞̩͈͔͍̫ ͖a̴̖͚̰͙ ̩̖̭̳͎n̺̜̳̦͖̤i̡̭c͍͖̙̻̣̪el̠̹̜͇̠y͟ ̻͍͈̭m̠̤͎̥͍ą̱͕d̡e̝̼ ̲̙̭͎̫̖a͉̗͚̭͇n҉d̝̬̘͕͙ ̬͞v̪͔̼̝̥̙̙a̮̤̭̝̳̙̭͡r̡̖̰̟̟i̺̩̤̻̤̰ͅe̢̯̱̩͕̭͈ḓ̡̞̺ ͚͕̝͈̣̭͕l̜̭̞̠͔̘͕i͓̫s̨̟͈̩̠͇̞̩t̸͙͙̫͓̥.͎̗̠̰̣

I still need play GoT.

Romulus

Half-life Alyx, sure looks good, wouldn't know as myself and millions of others dont own a super expensive vr headset required to play. Im sure the game is good, but would not put on game of the year...

It's not super expensive anymore. Quest 2 is $300, connects to a PC, plays wireless and has a library of games without requiring PC

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
fa08025a04ce3ac48757ef376b1c44b3.jpg

Wonko_C

IIRC I remember John from the days when he posted high-res+high gfx screenshots of PC games here on NeoGAF long before he joined Digital Foundry but I have to say that's a nicely made and varied list.

Seriously though I am conflicted: Half-Life Alyx should be No. 1 for how it advances gaming, but I looooooooooooooooove SOR4 even though technically could be done on a Genesis (sans graphics). I guess we both value addictive game mechanics and fun factor (those decidedly fall into personal preferences I know) over everything else.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm a John Linneman fan and wish he still participated here with his nicely made and varied list. So glad to see the masterpiece that is Ori make #3 although I think it should be #1

nemiroff

Gold Member
I see at least one game I don't like in that list so fuck that lowlife PoS for not sharing my opinion! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

JonkyDonk

I always enjoy 'The Linneman Collection'. It's always eclectic and well reasoned, and often introduces me to something I hadn't even considered.

Fredrik

Ori...a surprisingly challenging game. Dont sleep on that game. I havent played the sequel yet, but will soon.
Will of the Wisps is among the best Metroidvanias ever in gameplay and definitely the prettiest. Quite different from Blind Forrest though. And one chase sequence boss got me absolutely furious to the point I thought it was a 7/10 game just because of that. But I’ve calmed down since then and 100-percented it and now it’s my #2 this year. It definitely fits at the top 3 of any nicely made and varied list.

the_master

This is a great list, and it has an amazing winner actually.
Also, this is a list that values gameplay as it should. Way better list than the most famous ones that seem like "the top selling games of the year".

Top Bottom