• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Xbox Series S review

Jose92

[Membe
Some might say that Xbox Series S is the anti-Digital Foundry console. Out of the gate, its mission statement is specifically not to deliver the state of the art in its visual presentation. Instead, the pitch is something very different - to enable next-generation gaming without having to shell out $500/£450 to indulge your hobby. Combined with Xbox All-Access, or as a standalone purchase with the value-rific Xbox Game Pass, it's a machine designed to enable access to the games of today and tomorrow without having to wait a couple of years for the latest and greatest console hardware to drop in price - something that Microsoft says may not happen anyway.
Series S delivers exactly what it sets out to achieve, but it's not an anti-DF machine, far from it. It's beautifully designed, irresistible in the flesh, and in a world of economic uncertainty and an increased drive towards sustainability, it's the most affordable and efficient next-generation machine. It certainly has its drawbacks, but it achieves what it sets out to and it does it with genuine style.
There are some positives on the compatibility side. Xbox One X enhanced versions of Xbox 360 titles are still enhanced, with a 2x2 resolution multiplier vs the 3x3 boost seen on One X - a native 720p experience scales up to 1440p instead of 4K then, which is better than I expected. Also, Xbox One X and even One S could outperform the CPU limitations of original Xbox 360 hardware, but there were still some issues in select titles - Series S effortlessly sorts that out. Meanwhile, there are promising signs on the OG Xbox side of things too. Star Wars: Republic Commando runs locked at 60fps, for example, effortlessly outperforming Xbox One X, which could drop into the 40s. Really though - for the best way to experience legacy titles, especially from the Xbox One era, it's the Series X that's the better choice. Meanwhile, PlayStation 5 is similarly well equipped for boosting the experience of PS4 and PS4 Pro games.

From the time i used the series S i agree with richard the series S is the perfect ps5 complimentary device if you interested in game pass and its offerings.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I think the biggest mistake they made with the Series S is storage space. I love compact consoles and I could live without a disc drive, but the storage is not enough.

Mephisto40

I literally bought a Series S just to play all the xbox games I've missed over the years from gamepass, never owned an xbox before so lot's of stuff I haven't played, and for that it's been good

Still using a PS5 as my main console this gen though, just happy i'll get to play all the new xbox games now, even if they are at a lower resolution. 1080p is more than enough for me to enjoy the odd exclusive that comes out for the series s

Yes the storage isnt amazing, but it's enough for me to currently have 10 gamepass games installed at once, and these are mostly single player games I'll just delete when I've finished them to free up space

Hording single player games on your hard drive just because you might play them again for a couple of hours in 12 months time, i don't really get it tbh. It's only really online games I keep installed for any length of time

Last edited:
My issue is that I buy a games console for new games, not old ones. But if someone wants to go through XBox's catalogue and has never done so before, I can see the appeal.

so you are saying they will release zero new games?
Funny how the most anticipated PS5 game is a remake of a very old PS3 game.

BigLee74

My issue is that I buy a games console for new games, not old ones. But if someone wants to go through XBox's catalogue and has never done so before, I can see the appeal.

Yeah, you see, it plays new games too...

Absolutely perfect machine for my boys bedroom. Although storage space will be an issue - he is going to be doing a lot of juggling between internal and external drives.

Top Bottom