• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Fundry: Wo Long Fallen Dynasty- PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Last-Gen Consoles!

Draugoth

Gold Member

A comprehensive tech review of all every console to receive a Wo Long release. The PS5 and Xbox Series X versions get the premium treatment here: running at up to 1440p at 60 frames per second with boosted visuals. The same however cannot be said of the Series S, which targets 60fps but with glaring cutbacks to its visuals - often putting its textures and effects in line with a last-gen experience.

Summary, as our defacto DF summarizer AdamsApple is indisposed:
  • Released on 7 consoles.
  • A total of 11 modes.
  • PS5 and Series X offer Performance (60 FPS) and Resolution Mode (60 FPS).
  • Performance mode locks to 60 FPS better than Resolution Mode.
  • Visual settings are the same across both modes, but the resolutions are different.
    • Performance Mode: 2240x1260 on both PS5 and Series X. DRS might be there, but rarely noticeable or kicks in below 1260p.
    • Resolution Mode: Native 1440p on both consoles.
  • PS5 and Series X have no visual differences.

• Series S is different.
  • Resolution Mode runs at 900p at 30 FPS with uneven frame pacing.
  • Performance Mode runs at 900p at 60 FPS with a relatively more aggressive DRS.
  • Textures, shadows, cloth physics, textures, fire effects, draw distances, particle effects are all downgraded on the Series S -- which is similar to the last-gen experience.

• PS5 Resolution Mode - 1440p at 60 FPS. Generally hits 60, but battles can push it down to 50 FPS, and sometimes even slightly below that. Cutscenes locked at 30.
  • Series X Resolution Mode -- 1440p at 60 FPS. Similar situation. There was one sequence (staring into fire), when Series X was at 54 FPS while PS5 was 53 FPS (lol), but that's the only difference DF could find in terms of performance.
  • XSX Performance Mode - Much better. Drops to 58-59. Battles drop to 55 FPS sometimes. Most extreme case dropped to 50 FPS.
  • PS5 Performance Mode - DF didn't share or show much details, but said it's similar to Series X.
  • Series S Resolutino Mode - Pretty stable at 30 FPS with minor drops. 60 FPS is preferrable because it's relatively stable.

• Summary: Not a polished game. Visual bugs, drops, and last-gen type game running at 60 FPS.
Edit: Lysandros Lysandros highlighted a couple of issues I had missed earlier. The Xbox consoles (Series X, Series S, Xbox One, Xbox One X) all have lots of visual issues, such as:
  • flickering shadows,
  • multiple seconds screen/frame freeze on Series X that took a few seconds to resolve,
  • often missing shadow maps,
  • and missing ambient occlusion.
SIFJDvN.jpg
bZcZhwg.jpg

H4s1vMc.jpg

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Summary, as our defacto DF summarizer AdamsApple is indisposed:
  • Released on 7 consoles.
  • A total of 11 modes.
  • PS5 and Series X offer Performance (60 FPS) and Resolution Mode (60 FPS).
  • Performance mode locks to 60 FPS better than Resolution Mode.
  • Visual settings are the same across both modes, but the resolutions are different.
    • Performance Mode: 2240x1260 on both PS5 and Series X. DRS might be there, but rarely noticeable or kicks in below 1260p.
    • Resolution Mode: Native 1440p on both consoles.
  • PS5 and Series X have no visual differences.

• Series S is different.
  • Performance Mode runs at 900p at 60 FPS with a relatively more aggressive DRS.
  • Textures, shadows, cloth physics, textures, fire effects, draw distances, particle effects are all downgraded on the Series S -- which is similar to the last-gen experience.

• PS5 Resolution Mode - 1440p at 60 FPS. Generally hits 60, but battles can push it down to 50 FPS, and sometimes even slightly below that. Cutscenes locked at 30.
  • Series X Resolution Mode -- 1440p at 60 FPS. Similar situation. There was one sequence (staring into fire), when Series X was at 54 FPS while PS5 was 53 FPS (lol), but that's the only difference DF could find in terms of performance.
  • XSX Performance Mode - Much better. Drops to 58-59. Battles drop to 55 FPS sometimes. Most extreme case dropped to 50 FPS.
  • PS5 Performance Mode - DF didn't share or show much details, but said it's similar to Series X.
  • Series S Resolutino Mode - Pretty stable at 30 FPS with minor drops. 60 FPS is preferrable because it's relatively stable.

• Summary: Not a polished game. Visual bugs, drops, and last-gen type game running at 60 FPS.
Edit: Lysandros Lysandros highlighted a couple of issues I had missed earlier. The Xbox consoles (Series X, Series S, Xbox One, Xbox One X) all have lots of visual issues, such as:
  • flickering shadows,
  • multiple seconds screen/frame freeze on Series X that took a few seconds to resolve,
  • often missing shadow maps,
  • and missing ambient occlusion.
SIFJDvN.jpg
bZcZhwg.jpg

H4s1vMc.jpg

Draugoth Draugoth I've added more stuff that I had missed earlier. Please update my quote in the OP. Thanks.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Man the resolution mode is shocking on current gen machines, although they are still targeting 60fps and not 30fps, which is pretty interesting.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Visual disaster on series s (at least frame rate is ok).

PS5 and Series x versions look average, TN needs some engine change ASAP.
Hopefully Sony will offer help with that when working on rise of the ronin.

damiank

• Series S is different.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: potato strikes back. It's really weird honestly as it was supposed to outperform PS5, at least according to Albert Penello and Colt Eastwood.

Last edited:
I remember people were saying this gen was the one where 4K and 60frames would be standard.

We aren't even getting native 4K at 30frames now.

But we paid a higher premium for these consoles than the last ones. What did we pay for? A 2060?

Fbh

Hilariously bad result for something that at best looks like an early last gen game.

so, last gen game runing at 1440p sub 60fps on PS5/X

What is happening this gen ? are Devs aways this lazy ?

Seems like lots of mid tier japanese devs have completely given up on any attempt at optimization. It's like they are doing the lowest effort possible and just using the extra hardware to brute force better results.
This, Stranger of Paradise, Valkyrie Elysium, Star Ocean 6, Soul Hackers 2, etc
Bunch of stuff that at times borders on looking like a remaster of some Ps3 era game and yet are full of issues with either low resolutions or uneven framerate.

Banned
Team Ninja really fell off in terms of technical prowess after the og Xbox.

with Ninja Gaiden they delivered one of the best looking Xbox games and it even ran at 480p60fps...

and now we get last gen looking games with uneven framerates 😩

and the Series S version once more shows that developers really don't care to actually make it as best as it can be.
there is no reason for the cloth physics to be missing for example, that's purely a CPU bound element. and what the hell is that 30fps mode? seems like they wanted to make a proper higher fidelity 30fps mode, then forgot and just left the toggle in there

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
this is what happens when you practically release a machine with lastgen amounts of memory

this is why most devs complain, they simply do not want to create a special subset of textures tailored for lower memory.
But there are low, medium and high settings on PC. Are they using lower than PC's low?

Banned
this is what happens when you practically release a machine with lastgen amounts of memory

this is why most devs complain, they simply do not want to create a special subset of textures tailored for lower memory.

once again the memory can't explain all of it. why are the cloth physics gone for example?
wtf is that 30fps mode?

it just feels quickly put together, set to One X settings, and pushed out the door

Fbh

Bingo. I'm usually not in the graphics whore camp but Wo Long is one fugly game from a technical an artistic standpoint.

Yup.
I'm not on the graphics whore camp either but I think if your game is going to look dated as fuck it should at least run well.
I used to see dated graphics almost as a positive because I thought they'd ensure solid performance and high resolution, but instead with many of these games you are getting dated visuals, sub 1440p resolution and sometimes not even locked 60fps

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Bingo. I'm usually not in the graphics whore camp but Wo Long is one fugly game from a technical an artistic standpoint.

To be fair, most of the Souls games were too, but is the performance solid and fluid? I think that matters most in a game like this.

bender

What time is it?
To be fair, most of the Souls games were too, but is the performance solid and fluid? I think that matters most in a game like this.

Disagreed. FromSoftware does bring a lot of technical shortcomings to the table but it is easier to give them a pass because of their artistry, level design and innovation. You might have a point with Dark Souls 2 which is a bit of a black sheep of the Souls family.

Last edited:

yazenov

I pity the people who bought the Xbox series S, which is the majority of the Xbox users going by the sales threads. Its already outdated 2 years from launch date. Series S was a huge mistake for MS and its will only get worst as this generation progress.

sainraja

I mean, this game, isn't really that great visually. I haven't played far enough maybe...but initial impressions of the graphics are... they are not bad, but they are not that great either.

Lysandros

The video mentioned flickering shadows and freezes (XSX) on series consoles along with total absence of shadow maps and ambiant occlusion in some scenes. Can i ask why those aren't mentioned in the summary?

Edit: Added, thanks Heisenberg. 👍

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Oof. How the heck is it running near 1080p with the visuals being so bad? I was playing Nioh 2 Remastered last night and it looks and runs so much better in every mode.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Currently playing Sekiro and that's a goddamn pretty game! I compare it to this game and, well, seems like devs were definitely struggling with schedule and management because whomever works on the game industry isn't incompetent nor lazy given the amount of talent and dedication it needs to even get in.

Current game engines handle texture resolution and quality automatically, that's why you just put in the best version of your texture and it scales it down, devs don't have to create new sets of textures because of memory limitations, wtf are you talking about? And I fail to remember but don't you know a lot about these stuff? I'll assume you're just trolling. Hell, even if your engine is not capable of some basic automation like that, you can always resize in batches using photoshop... or even manually, you never have to create "another set of textures", not even Switch ports require that...

Series S.... ooof.
And why even bother the devs with last gen consoles.

Also, seems like performance mode on ps5 is redundant. res mode is mostly 60 aside from finisher moves and that is vrr covered
It probably made sense when development started but after so many people upgraded to current gen I think it just harms development, see Hogwarts Legacy selling so much without last gen versions. Hell, I know people that would normally wait for consoles to get cheaper or very discounted at the end of the gen just getting a Series S, now last gen versions are detrimental even for last gen looking games lol

once again the memory can't explain all of it. why are the cloth physics gone for example?
wtf is that 30fps mode?

it just feels quickly put together, set to One X settings, and pushed out the door
This is what I think, like they just put the Xbone version there and called it a day... But that's also weird because the Series S version is not a separated build from the Series X one.

BTW 7 versions of the game are way too many imo, it should have been Xbox Series + PS5 + PC only...

bender

What time is it?
The video mentioned flickering shadows and freezes (XSX) on series consoles along with total absence of shadow maps and ambiant occlusion in some scenes. Can i ask why those aren't mentioned in the summary?

I'm only on level three but I've had 5-6 second freezes before the game went back to normal. I kind of assumed it was a network issue.

Top Bottom