• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Games - Notably PSN Return Policy has to changei

I have no idea how people are so heavily moving towards digital purchases when there is legitimately no possibility of refund as soon as you download the game.

Usually I do a lot of research on which games to buy and maybe this whole thing is on me for not doing more research about the game. I usually buy from EB Games in Australia. They’re just the best option for me with memberships, returns, trade in value and price matching etc.

Anyway, we’re in lock down and I’ve heard such great things about Tetris Effect and it’s on sale on the PSN at the moment so I decided I’d give the digital download a try. My first non PC (where I’ve been all digital since i don’t know how long) digital purchase.

Okay, game downloads pretty quickly (it’s small at 2.8gb) but when I open it up there is a huge photosensitivity warning. This has me seriously concerned I won’t be able to play it. Maybe it’s my fault for not watching more videos but I’ve played some other games that have psychedelic effects and I was okay. But the small window size youtube videos on my iPad didn’t affect me.

Before I even play I check the return policy cause there is a good chance this game could give me a migraine and I would return it now (before playing at all) if I could but nope if I’ve even just downloaded but not even played the game then no refund. HOW has this not caused outrage in the community!?!?

Anyway I go into the game, enjoy the first level. Having fun think this game is great. A bit worried cause it’s pretty flashy and borderline the kind of stuff that will give me a migraine. Then reach the second level and oh my god that was just instant, like those spinning white lights on black was drilling into my brain and flicking the migraine switch.

So I suffer for 8 hours yesterday because I was stupid enough to try a game I paid $27 for because I couldn’t return it instantly when I saw the sensitivity warning. There was no massive sensitivity warning BEFORE purchase and download.

But even still. I feel I am not being unreasonable in feeling I have recourse to return the game in this situation. I’ve played for 10 minutes total and I simply cannot risk turning it on again for the chance it might trigger another migraine.

I will still try and contact Sony but the process you have to go through to even figure out how to find the contact details is just convoluted and annoying enough that most people will just give up. Especially because this reminds me of apple app store refund hell process. Im tempted to give up because it’s “only $27” and it will waste a lot of valuable time chasing this up.

But COME ON! How is this not a more widespread problem. How is the PSN not copping buckets of flack for being anti-consumer?Am I nuts to see this as completely unacceptable practice? Especially durinf this pandemic?! Not offering the ability to return a game even if you don’t like it is just crap. If you download a game and play it for less than one hour you should be able to return and refund no questions asked.

Then Sony want to go all digital with PS5. There is no wonder If they can continue to charge full price, no physical production and no possibility of refunds! WTH!

Digi-GAF please tell me why this is no big deal!?!?

At the least it’s a $27 lesson and I won’t be buying digitally again unless I’m certain I’ll enjoy the game and even then I might not just on principle.

Edit: mod if possible please change the ‘i’ at the end of the thread title to a ’!’ thank you

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’m sorry you had such a difficult time. They’ll outright ban your account if you do a charge back. That’s in their Terms of Service. Mistakes are made and people aren’t perfect. I get it. I’m not sure why it is, probably to reduce costs at the corporate level. I’ve only had luck with getting a refund because I wanted to buy the Deluxe Edition. My wife had her Plus extended and she didn’t want it. Me I’m happy with Plus every year. We are two different people. She threatened them and they said they’d ban her account. The case got escalated and Sony refunded her. No banned account.

I enjoy digital content. It’s been easy for me since the XBLA and PS3 days. I think for all the cases where it doesn’t work, there’s a lot of cases where it does. I had zero issues with it, but when my wife got upset by them. It threw us a curve ball.

Sony has always had 800-345-SONY since the PS2 days iirc

Rikoi

This is why a digital future is shit.
Higher prices, no chance of refunding, possibility of being banned and losing everything, can't sell back games.

Fanboys will defend these practices until the end of time. I'm sorry for your situation, at least you will know what to expect the next time.

Last edited:

Athreous

I think that once you get tired of a digital game, or you simply didn't like it, you could turn it into a serial code again and just resell it... Or just transfer the game to another account (blizzard does this kind of thing, I think).

Rikoi

You can’t return opened physical games either.
Steam allows refunding.
Also there is a big difference with physical copies where you just break the sigil and use the product, and a digital copy which is just a serial number that can be revoked and resold.

Last edited:

Neofire

Higher prices, no chance of refunding, possibility of being banned and losing everything, can't sell back games.

Fanboys will defend these practices until the end of time. I'm sorry for your situation, at least you will know what to expect the next time.
Yup and basically an online only future they try shove down people throat with digital only.

It's unlikely Tetris Effect is going to kill you, go for it, it's worth the risk.

I did actually try it, this is what ended up giving me the migraine so the exact thing I was worried about ended up happening, I won’t risk going through another migraine just to give the game another chance. the potential enjoyment is not worth the suffering and I’m quite disappointed because what I had played of the game so far was really excellent. I mean it’s clearly a masterpiece and the music and ‘we’re together feeling in the first level really made me want to play more. It’s a big shame I’ll miss out on more of it :(

Rikoi

I did actually try it, this is what ended up giving me the migraine so the exact thing I was worried about ended up happening, I won’t risk going through another migraine just to give the game another chance. the potential enjoyment is not worth the suffering and I’m quite disappointed because what I had played of the game so far was really excellent. I mean it’s clearly a masterpiece and the music and ‘we’re together feeling in the first level really made me want to play more. It’s a big shame I’ll miss out on more of it :(
I would suggest to watch some youtube videos next time before buying a game if you got these issues, might save you time and troubles.

Knowing full well what you’re getting into and then complaining about it at length afterwards isn’t very bright.

ahhh but there was no big photosensitivity warning before purchase I wouldn’t say that’s ‘knowing full well’ but I also agree I do hold some of the blame for not becoming more properly informed. If that sensitivity warning was before I paid I would have done more research to see if it was the type that affects me. But no they did it after I gave them my money and didn’t have any recourse to return. I want to play the game I just physically can’t risk the pain it could cause me. Can you not understand that?

I would suggest to watch some youtube videos next time before buying a game if you got these issues, might save you time and troubles.

I did watch some and have seen multiple small snippets of the game here and there and while I thought it looked very psychedelic it didn’t quite capture my brain the way the second level did while playing the game. It’s really rare for games to cause this sort of thing for me, last time something like this happened was when I was playing something on a 3DS with 3D cranked up. I can’t even remember the game, but I always do more research when I see the sensitivity warning. I didn’t think it would affect me so much as I have played games like this before. It’s that specific white on black spinning wheels of the second level that did it to me. That is exactly the type of thing that sets my brain off for some reason.

Even with all of that. I still feel I should have recourse to return the game. I can’t play it. It’s not that I didn’t enjoy it. You really think it’s just tough?

Last edited:

Dargor

Most of their consumer services/support policies must change. They are archaic to say the least.

They are lucky their products and games are so well regarded, cuz if they needed post-purchase realationship tto bring in some good pr their way, they'd be doomed.

JSoup

Banned
I did actually try it, this is what ended up giving me the migraine so the exact thing I was worried about ended up happening, I won’t risk going through another migraine just to give the game another chance.

Did you happen to look through the settings? Removing all the flash and strobe effects was added as an option in 1.2.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I was actually able to get a refund from Sony once for a game, some MMO, maybe Black Desert Online. I bought one of those super packages because the game looked and sounded cool, but they kept rejecting every one of my email addresses so I couldn't play. I hit up Sony support and had either an email or chat exchange, it was so long ago I can't remember which, and they refunded my money to my wallet within a day or two.

Overall though I do think their policies are too strict. They're already illegal in places like Australia if I'm not mistaken.

I was actually able to get a refund from Sony once for a game, some MMO, maybe Black Desert Online. I bought one of those super packages because the game looked and sounded cool, but they kept rejecting every one of my email addresses so I couldn't play. I hit up Sony support and had either an email or chat exchange, it was so long ago I can't remember which, and they refunded my money to my wallet within a day or two.

Overall though I do think their policies are too strict. They're already illegal in places like Australia if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe thats why I think it’s such a problem because I’m used to good return policies being an Australian and I pretty much think I should be able to return anything if I can’t use it like I do with pretty much anything else here.

Did you happen to look through the settings? Removing all the flash and strobe effects was added as an option in 1.2.

i will have a look at that thanks! It might be cool to just play the game with just the music and not the light effects, I did have a bit of a look but didn’t notice the removing of all the strobe. Do you know I’d this turns off the spinning shapes and lights in the background all together?? This might just be the solution! Thank you !!!!

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Not to derail your argument because they should have a better return policy, but I'm shocked OP would even consider purchasing that game in the first place given the condition described.

fA6y9hP.png

HmyHUS4.png

These are screenshots from the game page and here's the trailer.

What the heck were you thinking OP?

I still want my money back for Samurai Shodown 6 Sony. I tried it, like 20 minutes, i's trash! And i think it's breaking some of the rules... it's not playable.

About Tetris Effect, i see what you mean OP. For me, it's part of the challenge. And i absolutely loved this game.

Last edited:

Impotaku

did you have a look in the options screen? as there are a load of settings allowing you to turn off a lot of the stuff.

[edit] ahh just seen someones already mentioned that. Forget this message.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Digi-GAF please tell me why this is no big deal!?!?
Most of us take more care and do some research before buying a product. It helps avoid situations like the one you're in.

Of course, Sony need a better refund policy. Totally agree there. This is on you for not doing any basic research though.

Mattyp

Gold Member
It is Illegal in Australia, contact the ACCC. I'm surprised they haven't come down hard on Sony yet I think it's because I have heard even though its listed no returns if you do go through the leg work in Australia you will get a refund have heard of several friends being successful.

We're the reason Steam now offers refunds.

You can’t return opened physical games either.

In most of the first world yes you can.

Last edited:

dano1

A Sheep
I’ve been full digital for about 4 years Now. Love it and will never go back.
If I buy a game I don’t like that’s my fault. Especially with all the reviews that are available.
That said I thought you got one freebie return?

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

But hey, at least I haven’t got to get my fat lazy ass off the sofa to change a disc though.

DeVeAn

So I’ll share. Purchased a pre-order under the pre-order section and realized after downloading the “pre-order” bonus wasn’t there. Long story short, customer service said you purchased after pre-order so nothing can be done. No code for item, no refund etc.

$15 promo for spending too much was sent as a psn message and guess what EXPIRED by 1 day.

Refused to honor the credit. Makes no sense as it’s PSN money so I can only spend on PSN. So, probably would have purchased something more expensive and they win.

Nope to bad so sad. So, I just purchased my next game on Xbox instead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Top Bottom