• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide plunges further into insanity - Sues Steam users

Deadbeat

Banned
One of the steam accounts they are suing:

6b9V1Rf.png
Now I want to support their lawsuit.

MarionCB

Well done, Valve. They really needed to act at this point; you can't let people threaten your customers for no good reason.

God that feels good, can't imagine Sterling right now.

I'm in Australia and I think I can hear him laughing from here.

dogpowerd

Banned
lol they could have sold their shoddy wares forever if they just kept their mouths shut. Sending those subpoenas forced Valve to actually get of its ass and do something about it.

DigiHom filed to have the case against 100 Steam users dismissed without prejudice.

Don't think something finally penetrated their thick skulls and they realized they couldn't win this. They say it's because they can't afford to pursue it after Steam kicked them off the store. They also requested that if they couldn't get the filing fee refunded and have the case dropped, they want a 90-day extension for... something?

And of course it's without prejudice, because they want to be able to try this again when they find another source of income.

Call my a cynic, but does anyone else think this is them trying to get back onto Steam? Like, hey, we dropped the suit against your customers, pretty please let us come back to farm trading card transactions?

First spotted by the Steam group Digital Homicides, the filing cites the reason for the dismissal is that the developer lacks the funds to continue the case due to the fact that their business was destroyed after filing the case, financially disabling them.
You don't say

ghostjoke

Banned
Long live Sebastian Von Fappy Wank and Karl Pilkington.

I'm really interested what their "plan" is now. If they can't afford to sue 100 steam users how do they plan on taking on Valve? Without Steam their ability to make money is non-existent. Any other company and I'd say this is the end, but Digital Homicide are relentless in their determination to dig the biggest hole possible. Are they still suing Jim Sterling?

Call my a cynic, but does anyone else think this is them trying to get back onto Steam? Like, hey, we dropped the suit against your customers, pretty please let us come back to farm trading card transactions?
Paranautical Activity was allowed back on Steam after the developer made the death threat against Gabe..

So yeah I could see their games being allowed back

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
They have a GofundMe requesting $7.5k to cover their expected legal fees. They are just holding off until it rains.

MrToast

Paranautical Activity was allowed back on Steam after the developer made the death threat against Gabe..

I'm pretty sure the difference was they handed over all the source code and stuff to another development team and publisher? Unless DH do the same, I'll be surprised if they ever appear back. But I could see them being re-uploaded to Steam under a different name with a slightly different coat of paint per title.

rackham

Not defending them but the two cases are different. The dev said something very stupid that was in jest and they regretted immediately.

this is a case of self destruction

foltzie1

Yes. There was actually some activity in the case on Tuesday, Romine filed a motion to amend his original complaint against Jim Sterling.

The plot tickens. I wonder what the amendment was and if it was related to their others suits.

Romine is asking to substitute Federal Code 28 U.S. Code § 4101 for Arizona statute ARS §12-541 in the original complaint and amend a URL that seems may have moved on Jim Sterling's website.

No other substantive changes are mentioned.

As a followup to the last update, the case against the Steam users was dismissed, but Romine's request to get his $400 back was denied.

Also, the TechRaptor article added a response from the Romines about the Steam user lawsuit, where he again tries to paint himself as an innocent creator who was arbitrarily dogpiled at the behest of Jim Sterling. The best part is where he claims to have been fighting for a more open market and how Greenlight is a "barrier to entry", then bitches about hundreds of garbage games getting through Greenlight.

Also, Mr. Romine, will you stop saying you listen and respond appropriately to criticism when you told people who were getting motion sickness from Temper Tantrum to go fuck themselves?

Top Bottom