• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Homicide plunges further into insanity - Sues Steam users

Chobel

735.gif

What exactly are they trying to achieve with this?
They won't suddenly get good reviews out of this if that's what they want.
They have to create good games first.

It's really fucking strange that they'd sue people just because their games get bad reviews.

Can someone drop the hammer on them and obliterate their '"studio" already?

Oh, and I guarantee whatever revenue they gained from their "games" was nowhere near how much they're losing with all this legal business.

Morons. They're just morons.

Cheerilee

What exactly are they trying to achieve with this?
They won't suddenly get good reviews out of this if that's what they want.
They have to create good games first.

It's really fucking strange that they'd sue people just because their games get bad reviews.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_lawsuit_against_public_participation

A strategic lawsuit against public participation (SLAPP) is a lawsuit that is intended to censor, intimidate, and silence critics by burdening them with the cost of a legal defense until they abandon their criticism or opposition.[1]

The typical SLAPP plaintiff does not normally expect to win the lawsuit. The plaintiff's goals are accomplished if the defendant succumbs to fear, intimidation, mounting legal costs or simple exhaustion and abandons the criticism.

A SLAPP may also intimidate others from participating in the debate.

This has a defense force?

I-dont-believe-you.gif
Not this specifically but the Romine brothers in general do. Read that thread where they sued Jim Sterling for criticizing their games. And honestly considering Duterte has a defense force on GAF, this is hardly surprising.

Gattsu25

Banned
Posted this in the old thread (new news, new thread):

I imagine they are trying to follow on the footsteps of copyright trolls. This is what copyright trolls do:

1. Use the court system to find the details on hundreds (or more).
2. Have no actual intention of taking ANY of these users to trial.
3. Send letters threatening the now unearthed users threatening then with the maximum penalty actionable for the type of lawsuit they are preparing. They want to scare users into compliance more than anything else
4. Instead, in their letters, propose a settlement for $1,000 - $3,000 individually.
5. A few of the people will fall for it and settle with them.
6. They pocket that money and then drop the lawsuits.

That's the copyright troll playbook. Let's see if that is what this is.

Courts have been wising up to this and have started to deny requests, also

patapuf

Posted this in the old thread (new news, new thread):

I imagine they are trying to follow on the footsteps of copyright trolls. This is what copyright trolls do:

1. Use the court system to find the details on hundreds (or more).
2. Have no actual intention of taking ANY of these users to trial.
3. Send letters threatening the now unearthed users threatening then with the maximum penalty actionable for the type of lawsuit they are preparing. They want to scare users into compliance more than anything else
4. Instead, in their letters, propose a settlement for $1,000 - $3,000 individually.
5. A few of the people will fall for it and settle with them.
6. They pocket that money and then drop the lawsuits.

That's the copyright troll playbook. Let's see if that is what this is.

Courts have been wising up to this and have started to deny requests, also

It looks like they don't have adresses of people to send this to yet. This doesn't seem nearly as effective if they have to sue valve first.

Huh? How? Like seriously how? What's defensible about these goons?
Iirc, people said that things like Jim's criticism caused them harassment and therefore their lawsuit was justified and defended their assets flips and reskined games by saying that companies like Ubisoft and EA reuse code in their games.

It's hilarious that it lists their Steam user names in the documentation when Steam is a platform where you can change your name infinitely. If they don't have actual ID's or anything listed, how is this even usable?

And yes, I read where they filled a subpoena.

I'm sorry what the actual fuck, do they think they are going to get anywhere with this. Valve are going to probably send their lawyers in for this I don't think this will get anywhere.

Quite crazy these people now hilarious for them to think they can sue anonymous users.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It looks like they don't have adresses of people to send this to yet. This doesn't seem nearly as effective if they have to sue valve first.

Valve isn't being sued, just asked to provide the user information, but it can challenge the subpoena and will undoubtedly do so.

kulapik

It's hilarious that it lists their Steam user names in the documentation when Steam is a platform where you can change your name infinitely. If they don't have actual ID's or anything listed, how is this even usable?

That's probably the best part of this,

Minions

Doesn't this pretty much guarantee Valve will delist all their games since they are of no obligation to allow their games to be sold on their store?

Gattsu25

Banned
What the copyright trolls would do is sue hundreds/thousands of John Does. They would subpoena the ISPs to get the addresses, emails, names, etc of those John Does from the ISPs.

Then, they will mail each of the now unearthed people and try to settle with them.

The valve thing, if this follows that model, is just to get some personal details for the next step.

Diancecht

And yes, I read where they filled a subpoena.

I am literally dying right now. My sides are about to explode. They actually listed Steam user names in their documents. Hahaha this makes absolutely zero fucking sense I LOVE IT.

giphy.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Doesn't this pretty much guarantee Valve will delist all their games since they are of no obligation to allow their games to be sold on their store?

I doubt Valve will go that far due to a subpoena. It gave the Paranautical dev a second chance and he threatened to kill Gabe Newell. I wouldn't be surprised if Digital Homicide pulls its games from Steam out of spite when the subpoena is binned, though.

Top Bottom