• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

Colbert

Banned
WARNING!!
This thread is crazy indeed.

Original:

DigitalFoundry said:
We've seen Rise of the Tomb Raider in action on Xbox One X - so we thought we'd put that knowledge to use in assessing the reveal trailer for the enhanced version of the game. John is your guide through this comparison.

UPDATE 26/8/17 2:00pm: Digital Foundry has returned from Gamescom and the first order of business is to take a good, hard look at the press assets Square-Enix has revealed for the Xbox One X version of Rise of the Tomb Raider, and to see how they compare with the existing versions of the game. John Linneman has compiled all of his findings into the video analysis below and we've also provided PS4 Pro and PC settings comparison shots to match Square's press images.

There are some interesting observations here - clearly, the top-end PC textures are incorporated into the Xbox One X version as expected (indeed, one shot even shows additional detail we couldn't replicate on PC). Additionally, other changes have been made: on the plus side, PureHair (aka TressFX) seems to get an upgrade, but there's a puzzling downgrade in depth of field rendering. We'll have more on this title as soon as we can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x77TOR9HC5Y

Delete my YT channel if old

Update on Update 30th Aug 14:00
Update 26th Aug 16:43:

There is an update on the article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...mb-raider-on-xbox-one-x-improves-over-ps4-pro

There was another update on Eurogamer to reflect the dynamic changes on the textures in the face comparison which I include in the OP.

Just some example screenshots including PC:
DId8KNCUQAEJocF.jpg:large

7XphzqI.png

Een8B2g.png

Update 26th Aug 18:27:

Some more info about the PC setting for the PC shots:

FeXcfgQ.png

Update 26th Aug 19:10:

Confirmation what modes where compared in video and screenshot regarding the PS4.

xE3mwda.png

Update 26th Aug 20:06:

Comparison is based on X1X native 4K, PS4 Pro 4K CB, PC highest setting!

uermIUh.png

Update 27th Aug 19:10:

Regarding the above face comparisons.

John Linnemann, DigitalFoundry:

Those faces aren't impacted by depth of field as the DoF effect is not very shallow in that scene to begin with. I thought it was motion blur at first but, looking closer at the footage frame by frame, that doesn't even seem to be the case.
and
Nobody downgraded anything. PC already includes higher res textures than PS4. Nixxes has simply created new assets once again, it would seem.

I was looking forward to this.

edit:
From the high quality DF video:

Sometimes the difference is immediately apparent while others (during cutscenes it seems) they look really close. Maybe the cutscenes are dynamic res on xbox one x?

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-10l1s94.jpg

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1083sl3.jpg

I resized to 1080p in photoshop.

Raide

Funny to see games come out, get better for Pro and then get better again for 1X. Weird thought that some games will get patched again for some more life.

indeed, one shot even shows additional detail we couldn't replicate on PC
fuck, please don't do this again. it is so annoying that the pc version of TR2013 never got the DE shit. for that game your options are either play it on pc with the frame rate and res you want without any of the improvements (there are a lot, besides lara's face which for many is take or leave) or an unstable 1080p"60" on PS4 with the improvements, or 1080p30/900p cutscenes on XB1.

I guess this is my problem with these incremental consoles, not JUST X1X. This is the only time I can really tell the difference, in motion. They HAVE to be side by side, or else I would never know "it could be better."

Console gaming is getting weird.

I guess this is my problem with these incremental consoles, not JUST X1X. This is the only time I can really tell the difference, in motion. They HAVE to be side by side, or else I would never know "it could be better."

Console gaming is getting weird.

Going to agree. I was all in for the PS4 Pro when it launched, bought one because I wanted to play FFXV and Nioh in as high a quality and performance possible but outside of that, I'm not really getting seeing the graphical benefits, as much as I appreciate they fantastic IQ in titles like Horizon.

Looking at this comparison, the differences seem so minor in motion and it speaks volumes that they're only really noticeable at 50% speed. Very recently jumped on the PC gaming bandwagon and that's impressing more a lot more than this. A certainly don't see performance gains worth shelling out an extra $500. I have to ask though, why does the PS4 Pro version look so smeared and blurry in comparison in some parts? Madness.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is this for real?

Pro looks like a regular PS4 version.
Yes. It's real. Captured directly from a PS4 Pro at 2160p.

Looking at this comparison, the differences seem so minor in motion and it speaks volumes that they're only really noticeable at 50% speed.
The reason for 50% is due more to the lack of available footage (only had that short trailer to work from).

Not everyone is going to find these upgrades worthwhile, however, but it's quite obvious to the trained eye.

Funny to see games come out, get better for Pro and then get better again for 1X. Weird thought that some games will get patched again for some more life.

My only qualm is now owning games on two consoles But waiting for the X for the "better" experience. 😂

In the screens posted here the difference is definitely noticeable and honestly this is what you'd be expecting from a significantly more powerful system. It however always remains to be seen if it happens and it sure does. I hope more developers will follow suit.

Yes xox looks better but dont forget they have an extra year to do this.
Lets compare games that release simultaneously on both for a more fair comparison.

But that 12gb ram will make for better textures in most to all games.
Still not really convinced that the xox is for me, but if moat multiplatform show differences like this then even on my 1080p tv it may be worth it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Man. Bigger upgrade than I expected. Don't know when I'll have the time to go back to this game though. Looks great.

Lol I bought this game on Xbox One and never played it, then I bought it on PS4 Pro so I could play the better version and still haven't played it, by the time I get around to it I'm gonna end up playing my original copy on Xbox for the best version.

It's awesome that the Scorpio should be getting both resolution upgrades AND textures / graphics. Hopefully this is the case with most 3rd party games.

ChazGW7

the top-end PC textures are incorporated into the Xbox One X version as expected (indeed, one shot even shows additional detail we couldn't replicate on PC)

PC gamers: RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

im a pc gamer pls no h8

MaulerX

Beast mode activated. Can't wait to get my grubby hand on this console. I already marked an X on the spot in my entertainment center where it's supposed to go.

bryanee

Nice upgrade, not enough to justify me spending £450 when I have the Pro though. Interested in seeing newer game comparisons this fall.

RoKKeR

Looking great, and hoping that DF has many more of these leading up to the launch.

Would love a comparison with the OG Xbox One version too.

jett

D-Member
I wonder how big is the patch with dem 4K textures gonna be.

RotR on PS4 uses the same texture quality for Pro and regular, I guess.

f@luS

More than a member.
Looks amazing ... from here.

But I don't know how will it be in front of my tv. Some games
Looks already too sharp almost. This one , Titanfall 2 for exemple or wipeout. Not sure if I'll see any difference 2 meters away from my 65" oled.

Well still wants it. I have it on Pro. It I played only 30".

Just need to find it around 10-15 to double dip

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it's almost as though one of them is considerably more powerful than the other.

PS4 pro looks good but of course XB1X is going to look better.

Top Bottom