• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: RotTR Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro First Look Graphics Comaprison

Some full-res screen caps:
vlcsnap-2017-08-26-16chuxc.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1661o7z.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1698uts.png

PS4 Pro version looks blurrier than I remember. Definitely a nice upgrade on the One X, especially the texture upgrades. Those really make good use of the higher resolution. I do hope they add DoF back in though.

gamz

Sorry, was just trying to say that I would prefer to see what Xbox One X can do with new games. It's all very well showing off a game no-one will play. The bigger issue is why should I upgrade my Xbox One S to an X when there are no games for MS' new console.

Have you seen Forza 7?

Or are you doubling down on the console wars with no games stuff.

theWB27

Sorry, was just trying to say that I would prefer to see what Xbox One X can do with new games. It's all very well showing off a game no-one will play. The bigger issue is why should I upgrade my Xbox One S to an X when there are no games for MS' new console.

There's multiple threads on people having nothing to play on the Xbox. First post and this post makes you look salty for no reason in a tech thread.

I think this is what we are going to see, and more and more, until next PS is released. The XBOX 1 X is awesome.

Yup pretty much. At this point it's over, the PS4 had a good run and globally it's not like they won't continue that run but it's undeniable that the Xbox 1X is definitely going to win a lot of these battles. However Sony will still have them beat on personal 1st parties which Sony historically always takes full advantage of the hardware. Nonetheless, it's going to be like this for the next 2-3 years it seems, but that's going to be fine.

honestly don't see the value in $500 for improved IQ and some effects.

All that power and will still have to cater to the base xbox. These half upgrades are just ridiculous tbh.

pswii60

This game looked great when I played it on Pro, but the IQ in those X shots is off the scale. Kind of wish I'd waited now.

DESTROYA

Looks good but what are people willing to pay for the One X ?
While the game is running I don't think people will notice that big of a difference.

eso76

I was willing to bet xboxox games would push for native 4k Vs CB 4k and end up performing worse than their Pro counterparts. Well, seems like this isn't the case, there's actually enough power in that tiny box to go native AND improve details and assets on top of that.
I might be too old to care about improvements in graphical fidelity: these days, playing the same game at 900p or 4k doesn't really change the experience for me (Were the games built from the ground up for the new consoles yeah I guess, but I don't really care about extra layers of pretty on top.) but it's impressive.

wotta

You have to compare the same game.

To be honest If I could buy both I would. I already own PS4 Pro and Xbox One S, I have X PS Edition pre-ordered but I will most likely cancel. £450 is a lot of money for a console I will only use for exclusives, especially when MS doesn't have many at the moment.

Trago

Man, that comment section is something else.

Expect this to be the trend moving forward people. One X getting the best console version.

Looks great! That's a big upgrade, but it's worrying to hear that it has settings that can't be replicated on PC. I don't like devs holding back the most scalable platform.

Colbert

Banned
Judging by the feed back from gaffers who played it at the conference last week Forza 7 owned.

And FM7 was awarded with the best award with GT Sport and Project Cars 2 on the show floor too. Should give an impression!

MaulerX

Some full-res screen caps:
vlcsnap-2017-08-26-16chuxc.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1661o7z.png

vlcsnap-2017-08-26-1698uts.png

PS4 Pro version looks blurrier than I remember. Definitely a nice upgrade on the One X, especially the texture upgrades. Those really make good use of the higher resolution. I do hope they add DoF back in though.

It's not often we get a clear and noticeable difference on comparison shots without having to zoom in 200 times just to see a minor difference.

To be honest If I could buy both I would. I already own PS4 Pro and Xbox One S, I have X PS Edition pre-ordered but I will most likely cancel. £450 is a lot of money for a console I will only use for exclusives, especially when MS doesn't have many at the moment.

If you buy an Xbox One X why would you only use it for exclusives? It is almost guaranteed to have the best console version of every multiplatform release.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm going to struggle to see a difference between these two in motion unless they're side by side. I don't think Pro owners should be too upset.

(Apart from the missing DoF filter, that is)

spannicus

Why wont you use the more powerful console for multiplats as all should perform better on the 1X? Trade in one S at the right time along with a few other things. Only payed a buck eighty for my pro. Good luck whatever you choose.

EGM1966

Looking at the pre orders. Looks like people who its for want to pay 500 bucks for it
The Pre-orders will include a big chunk of existing Xbox owners upgrading. As with the Pro the real test will be the post launch split between S and X on on-going basis in terms of general interest in getting premium model.

Personally I'm expecting a more favourable split for X but that's more down to S being lowest spec of the four options.

lmbotiva

Yup pretty much. At this point it's over, the PS4 had a good run and globally it's not like they won't continue that run but it's undeniable that the Xbox 1X is definitely going to win a lot of these battles. However Sony will still have them beat on personal 1st parties which Sony historically always takes full advantage of the hardware. Nonetheless, it's going to be like this for the next 2-3 years it seems, but that's going to be fine.
Of all the consoles install base maybe a 20% cares about this nonsense so this wont affect sales at all, paying $500 for a console to see a few improvements on a 2 year old game it's really not what MS needs for the Xcorpio to have legs, about these battles you mention it really doesn't matter when all Sony 1st party games will look miles ahead of anything released from third parties and by the looks of it MS doesn't have any 1st party games to compete aside from forza

Trago

If you buy an Xbox One X why would you only use it for exclusives? It is almost guaranteed to have the best console version of every multiplatform release.

That's why I always laugh at comments like that. Microsoft are selling you on a box that will have the best console multiplats. Better looking versions of pretty much all the major games. If I wasn't gaming on PC, the One X would look like great purchase.

I think that's the DoF that's missing from the X version rather than the Pro version being poor quality.

Oh, you're right. I was looking at it on my phone at first and it wasn't that apparent. Still curious to see what difference the higher texture settings will make!

wotta

I just prefer the PlayStation for multiplatform games. That's where all my friends play and I prefer the controller.

RootCause

Looking at the pre orders. Looks like people who its for want to pay 500 bucks for it
$500 is a great value. A comparable gpu(at msrp) alone would be half the budget, and that's with less performance, memory bandwidth, 4GB extra.

Looks good but what are people willing to pay for the One X ?
While the game is running I don't think people will notice that big of a difference.

I have a ps4, and I felt getting a Scorpio was better than buying a ps4 pro, with access to the same games I can already play on my og one. Though, I'm still tempted to get a Pro for God of war, and Spidey.

I just prefer the PlayStation for multiplatform games. That's where all my friends play and I prefer the controller.

Yeah the XB1X is definitely not for you. You'd get more mileage out of a decent gaming PC if you were looking for another gaming purchase.

KageMaru

I hope some improvements like better AA, HDR, and improved details get patched into the PC version. Looks great on the 1X.

it's almost as though one of them is considerably more powerful than the other.

PS4 pro looks good but of course XB1X is going to look better.

Well prior to the recent media of 1X versions, many here were claiming the differences would hardly be noticeable. So it's good to see what's possible when the system is taken advantage of.

Haven't other games had improved textures on PRO though? Pretty sure at least FF15 does.

The improvements in textures on many Pro versions likely stems from the increase in pixel count and not due to an improvement in texture quality.

WoW PSPro looks ugly next to Xbox :O

There's no need to exaggerate like this. The Pro version still looks great.

I remember when Xbox fans were told to buy a PS4 for the same reason and most - if not all of them were uninterested because of things like Controllers and XBL and friends so they were willing to keep their boxes despite it's shortcomings for those reason.....I think it will likely be the case here visa versa.

Top Bottom