• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitalmindsoft wrote an open letter to Steam

Madrical

Banned
These Gabe suck fests are getting more and more common.

I like it.

Seriously though, I am so, so, so happy that Valve is a privately owned company. If they were tied to a parent company... it'd be different.

Yes, he even forwarded to Doug Valente and some other guys. It was the happiest day of my life.
This is like getting an e-mail from the pope. I'm so jealous. Note: I would not like an e-mail from the pope.

In Gabe we trust.

Seriously, once I stopped playing Star Wars: The Old Republic, I uninstalled Origin (and ToR, the only game I'll ever buy from Origin) and bought 2 games off Steam.

These Gabe suck fests are getting more and more common.

I like it.

Seriously though, I am so, so, so happy that Valve is a privately owned company. If they were tied to a parent company... it'd be different.

This is like getting an e-mail from the pope. I'm so jealous. Note: I would not like an e-mail from the pope.

And now I'm really wondering if the pope has ever sent an email (or a text) all by himself. He seems more likely to have had sex honestly.

this is complete nonsense. the company wouldn't even be around anymore if it wasn't for the subscription thing they were running between games where several hundred people "invested" in whatever dms did next. their idiotic dlc scheme has also completely ruined mow assault squad

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ive never played a Valve game (Yup no CS or HL) but i do admire their company culture and Gabe Newell is one of the most forward thinking people in the industry.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
"No problem! GABE NEWELL AWAY!"
1274883891021.gif

Wthermans

Banned
Has anyone here ever mailed Gabe Newell? Did you got a response?

When the Steam Overlay Browser first came out, I emailed Gabe to thank him for it and telling him it was a great idea. Also mentioned I would like to see a Mobile Version of Steam so I can chat with friends/keep up with sales as they go live. He emailed me back a quick word of thanks for my support and that a Mobile Version was something they were looking into.

I love reading things like this. Innovation being rewarded both as the platform (Steam) and developers.

I pray Origins never noticeably disrupts Steamworks as far as a platform for developers to self-publish their games.

I wish that man was on Gaf so we could give him a GAF Thanks Thread.

Just the ease of purchase and use, and the way it makes you want to buy things you'd previously never think of twice.

I can only dream the rumours of Steam on WiiU are true.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wonder if Gabe has an account here. <.<

I often wonder if we have any Valve employees here. I imagine there would have to be at least one, and that sitting on the other side of the fence, hearing all the enthusiastic cries for Half-Life 3, must evoke the feeling of royalty.

Just the ease of purchase and use, and the way it makes you want to buy things you'd previously never think of twice.

I can only dream the rumours of Steam on WiiU are true.

Rumours or wishful thinking? I'm only aware of the latter.

Big-E

If anything Steam should get more praise than it gets. There aren't too many services in the gaming industry where both the consumer and developers are almost completely satisfied with. Developers gain a platform where they are able to market their game even though they are competing with the big boy developers and customers get to purchase far more games than they would be able to otherwise.

this is complete nonsense. the company wouldn't even be around anymore if it wasn't for the subscription thing they were running between games where several hundred people "invested" in whatever dms did next. their idiotic dlc scheme has also completely ruined mow assault squad
Wait... what?

RedSwirl

Could this kind of environment ever actually be replicated on a console? If consoles started offering games digitally day-and-date with retail, let people pre-purchase for 10% off the full price with bonuses, and let them pre-load, would we see the same kind of success? Even if that kind of environment came to be next gen, I don't think you'd see as many deals like you see on Steam because PSN and XBL don't have any digital competition within their platforms.

There are few companies I feel respect for collectively. Valve is one of them, and this is one of the reasons.

Regarding the whole gamer-infatuation with Gabe/Valve, it's roughly 75% smart-arsery. Speaking for myself, I have no qualms about pointing out when they do something I think is less than ideal. Like, I'm not on-board with Steam Workshop becoming the defacto standard for delivering mods, and I also think that they should be more flexible with how Steamworks operates.

In general though they've contributed a lot to gaming, particularly PC gaming, so I respect that contribution. I'm under no illusions that they've made massive amounts of the folding stuff in the process either, I guess I just don't begrudge them profit when they have benefited me so much as a consumer.

Now its a Steam thread.

FyreWulff

Gabe responds to every email. He even responded to my question on why Valve didn't support certain control schemes, to which he responded that they were going to be adding it to all their games from then on.

Jintor

Gabe responds to every email. He even responded to my question on why Valve didn't support certain control schemes, to which he responded that they were going to be adding it to all their games from then on.

This isn't true, as you'd know from the first Commentary node in just about everything. But he does read all of them at least.

I've been a console gamer my entire life but about a year ago I started playing PC games. Now I am honestly thinking about skipping the next generation of consoles because Steam is so great. There's just something about a service that is pro-consumer and treats its users with respect.

The best thing about Steam is that everyone is happy. Valve is happy because, well, they have a hugely successful platform, developers are happy because they make money and gamers are happy because they get to buy cheap games. Everybody wins.

One thing that I think Valve can improve upon is explaining why a certain game is not allowed on Steam to its developers. Maybe they could release a set of really basic guidelines so that the developers of a game would have advance knowledge on what features they will need to add in order to have a good chance of being accepted on Steam. The current "not a good fit" reply is vague and not really helpful.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have a link to that hilarious TF2-intern blog post?

Top Bottom