• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: AMD 7nm chips for next-generation PlayStation to be ready in 3Q20

No shit. It’s a big ask for a beefy APU with brand new GPU architecture on a brand new 7nm node process to exist this year. Even for dev kits.

Dontero

Banned
No shit. It’s a big ask for a beefy APU with brand new GPU architecture on a brand new 7nm node process to exist this year. Even for dev kits.

Depends really on what AMD is focused on. AMD APUs usually came later because most of them sell nothing.
On other hand PS4/Xbox SOCs never were released as APUs from AMD and those APUs were clearly superiror to even 2 year later apus.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
anyone who thought they were coming this year is crazy. late 2020 is when i expected it. just isn't possible to come any sooner.

7nm Zen 2 is coming this year for desktops. NOT for consoles. they aren't the same thing. whenever the Zen 2 APUs are ready then we'll get next gen consoles a bit after that.

Makes sense to me. I'm assuming the lot of the people that assumed that it was coming this year were the same people that thought Xbox One X was going to have a Zen processor despite it having a different architecture.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
This is bullshit those chips will more than likely be ready for the consoles late 2019, early 2020 with PS5 coming mid 2020 or tail end.

SonGoku

but Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. That’s not all. “The raw read speed is important,“ Cerny says, “but so are the details of the I/O [input-output] mechanisms and the software stack that we put on top of them.
NVMe perhaps?
O onQ123 REDEEMED!
I will be amazed if that really happens, how they managed to afford a nvme on a console or maybe its a hdd + nvme hybrid

Zannegan

Knew it! 2019 is way too early, very delusional.
Late 2020 is really the earliest possible release date, might even slip into 2021
I had my money on Spring 2020, but I'm always a little overeager. Of course, if that pattern holds, it would push my guess on MS's new box to Spring 2021.

I guess we'll see.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yo. This is confirming a lot of things officially by Cerny himself. How is this not a new thread? This is like a small reveal!

Wow finally concrete info!!! And good info at tht!! Ppl said no Ray tracing but it's in and og psvr compatible. I'm very happy!!!

Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom