• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell, if it doesn't beat the XB1 in term of power, 349$ is unacceptable.

Wii U was expensive (still is) and low powered

I do not have any faith in Nintendo getting this right no matter what SMD and PE says
I really expect below the base PS4 target

would love to be wrong but I really doubt that someone at Nintendo said, "Hey let's try a powerful console this time!"

what annoys me the most is you'd think Nintendo pays a chip maker like AMD just about the same to design a chip as MS or Sony but they went for low electricity usage? Really that is what we need to move gaming forward?

Everyone is saying they went for a new path again so I doubt that path has anything to do with 5+TFlops

L Thammy

Nintendo was willing to try selling their hardware at a loss for Wii U, weren't they? I wonder if they'll try it again. I imagine that the Wii U would also have put them in the red even if it had been sold at a slight profit.

Yeah. He probably spends his days like that

I imagine Kimishima as Yamauchi 2.0. Sitting on his Harkonnen Command Chair, drinking red wine out of a human skull, eating fugu sashimi off a naked woman, and constantly surrounded by armed ninjas in case anyone disappoints him even slightly.

Horrible for third party relationships though.

So, if we dont see a reveal in Sept, the Eurogamer rumor can be considered totally false so the detachable controllers and portable console is a lie so there is no hybrid .. so we start again !
Not really. Nintendo changing the planned reveal date internally is easy to do especially since it was before we heard of the Sony/Apple event.
Changing the concept of a system is hard.

Price. 350 is death.

It depends on how they spin the device. Not a single gaming platform has as much exclusive content as Nintendo can churn out if they combined their portable and home console platforms.

If it has better graphics than a Wii U and it is portable I think it is plausible based on clever marketing it could sell it at 350.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
On mobile cant quote

I have heard the core comment last week.
No further detail so could be software related and not price related

It depends on how they spin the device. Not a single gaming platform has as much exclusive content as Nintendo can churn out if they combined their portable and home console platforms.

If it has better graphics than a Wii U and it is portable I think it is plausible based on clever marketing it could sell it at 350.
No, I think $350 it too much not matter how you spin it. PS4/X1 are <300 and the PS4 Neo is just $50 more, both with established libraries.
$300 would be very difficult, $250 seems about right, and at $200 it'll sell gangbusters

L Thammy

Is it just me, or has the number of people who really want Eurogamer to be false increase over the past week or so? Or at least become more obnoxious.

Hydrus

Even if its delayed they should still reveal the thing this year, this is getting out of hand, just show it off, how hard is it to make some trailers for games in development

With the holiday season approaching, and Pokemon SM out in November, They're gonna wanna clear out as much Wii U's and 3DS as possible. This is why I'm finding it harder and harder to believe they will do a full blown reveal for NX. Why show something off, if no one can buy it for 6 months and until after Christmas. I can imagine it now:
  • NX gets revealed.
  • Kid tells parent he wants the new Nintendo console for Christmas!
  • Parent goes to walmart. Ask to buy the new Nintendo. Cashier tells parent this is what they have in stock, hands over a Wii U.
  • Christmas morning, kid opens a wrapped Wii U. Begins throwing a tantrum. Says " This isn't the new Nintendo! I don't want this!".
  • Parent angry and annoyed goes back to Walmart, and tells cashier " Son say's this isn't new Nintendo! You tricked me!!" Give me NX!"
  • Cashier says, " That doesn't release until March. You're gonna have to wait 3 months."
  • Parent keeps Wii U, returns home and tell's kid " This is all you're getting!"
  • Kid cries. Then goes back to playing call of duty on PS4/Xbone.
  • Wii U collects dust. Then is gotten rid of.

Instro

Doesn't matter how they spin it. Their biggest customer base is/was handheld only, and therefore are not going to care very much about its ability as a console. $350 is going to be completely unacceptable to them, just like $250 was unacceptable for portable hardware this gen. This thing needs to be cheap to have any chance, otherwise they risk alienating the people willing to pay for a dedicated handheld.

With the holiday season approaching, and Pokemon SM out in November, They're gonna wanna clear out as much Wii U's and 3DS as possible. This is why I'm finding it harder and harder to believe they will do a full blown reveal for NX. Why show something off, if no one can buy it for 6 months and until after Christmas. I can imagine it now:
  • NX gets revealed.
  • Parent goes to walmart. Ask to buy the new Nintendo. Cashier tells parent this is what they have in stock, hands over a Wii U.
  • Christmas morning, kid opens a wrapped Wii U. Begins throwing a tantrum. Says " This isn't the new Nintendo! I don't want this!".
  • Parent angry and annoyed goes back to Walmart, and tells cashier " Son say's this isn't new Nintendo! You tricked me!!" Give me NX!"
  • Cashier says, " That doesn't release until March. You're gonna have to wait 3 months."
  • Parent keeps Wii U, returns home and tell's kid " This is all you're getting!"
It's as if we haven't had several consoles revealed over a year in advance before.
Even the 3DS was released in March and we knew about it considerably earlier

Is it just me, or has the number of people who really want Eurogamer to be false increase over the past week or so? Or at least become more obnoxious.

Sure seems like it. I guess they're using the "reveal isn't in September" logic which doesn't really work.

As a reminder, EG said the reveal "is currently slated for September" so they even covered their bases on the likelihood of plans changing.

udivision

At $350, they're basically saying "screw off" to a significant part of the handheld audience. An audience that doesn't really care about the graphics being XYZ good or whatever. The audience of family and children, that, thanks to the price and form has always been larger than the console audience for Nintendo.

At that price, Nintendo would basically be conceding a chunk of the handheld market in order to position themselves against the core market of Sony and MS, a market that they can't compete in.

fossi8

• NX gets revealed.

Nintendo can announce the NX and at the same time a Wii U price cut for Christmas, that could be a smart move to get rid of Wii U last stock.

$350 or more is almost out of the question from everything Nintendo has said. They have spoken extensively about the pricing problems with the Wii U and the 3DS even, and I would like to believe they've learned from those mistakes if they're talking about them so much.

From what's been rumored, I don't see why $200 won't be doable with a small profit margin, and there's really no reason for them to price it at a premium and plan for a price drop. This is their only hardware for the foreseeable future and it needs to sell as quickly as possible.

I'd be willing to bet on $200-$250, $250 only if there's a pack-in game or some expensive feature we haven't yet heard about. Hoping for $200.

Pachinko

• NX gets revealed.

This sequence of events , dumb as it may be , actually sounds wholly plausible.

Nintendo has to 100% nail every single aspect of the NX once it's revealed, it needs to be clear what it is (a new console), when it's coming (march ?) and how much it costs (299.99 or less hopefully). There can't be any confusion like the wii U or the 3DS got.

I mean, that list up there - that's basically what happened I think with the 3DS and Wii U, people thought the former was literally the same device with a 3D screen that couldn't be used by children and the latter was simply a tablet that synched up with the wii.

Honestly, if I were Nintendo I wouldn't even show anything off until January , then do a full blown reveal , show off launch games , features, price , official release date , all of that and just have the device available a couple months later. Shortest turnaround ever.

For this Christmas there's already enough Nintendo stuff - there's a new model of the 3DS to buy (well, 2 of them actually) , a new pokemon game to play on it and well, if you still feel like picking up a wii U - it's there. Then, we move on to 2017 and hopefully (for Nintendos sake) they start start making good decisions and releasing tons of software people want to play on the format that they bring out.

L Thammy

On mobile cant quote

I have heard the core comment last week.
No further detail so could be software related and not price related

Can't wait for Batman Arkham Knight - Armored Edition, Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z: Razor's Edge, Mass Effect: Andromeda Special Edition, Musou All Stars Hyper, Tekken 7: Wii U Edition, and Zombie U2.

...actually that doesn't sound bad

350 is in line with how much tablets and smart phones would cost. People are willing to pay a lot more for devices more often now because of how consumer habits have changed.

Handhelds seem like much more a luxury in the modern world than smartphones, though, and they don't do anything to help you keep up with the Joneses.

350 is in line with how much tablets and smart phones would cost. People are willing to pay a lot more for devices more often now because of how consumer habits have changed.

If Nintendo spins this as a device that can leave the living room that can not only game but serve as a general purpose tablet it could be massively successful.

This could slide into living rooms and also serve as an iPad replacement. Parents will no longer have to buy a tablet and a console.. they can just buy the NX and it serves both purposes.

If Nintendo spins this as a device that can leave the living room that can not only game but serve as a general purpose tablet it could be massively successful.

This could slide into living rooms and also serve as an iPad replacement. Parents will no longer have to buy a tablet and a console.. they can just buy the NX and it serves both purposes.

Okay, maybe they could afford to charge that much if it's designed to be more a full on tablet than just a gaming console.

But why would they?

Based on the rumors, this thing should not be terribly expensive to manufacture. Nintendo should sell it at a thin margin in order to get it in more people's homes. Even with the Wii U's attach rate of ~5 games that's $300 people spend on software. Even if we assume the NX games will be more variably priced (between 40 and 60) that attach rate then gets us ~$250 that every purchaser spends on software.

If we take numbers pulled freshly out of my ass and assume that a $250 console will sell, say 50% more units than a $350 console (that's probably a low estimate), that's still an overall increase in revenue of about 15%.

I really think it's in their best interest to sell it for as cheap as possible without taking a loss from day 1.

Snakeyes

ROFL

Parents buy expensive tablets for their kids because they do more than gaming. NX is DOA if they charge anything remotely close to $350.

Snakeyes

People always say this but that argument never makes any sense. Nintendo would likely have a press hands-on event around the same time in order for journalists to actually play the machine. How could that possibly be a lack of confidence if it's being played by press?

Because live showmanship is one of the oldest sales tricks in the book. A well prepared and presented live event on a big stage, in front of a live audiencee sends a message of "Hey, this is a big deal", and will almost always trump even the best produced pre-recorded video in terms of impact to your average onlooker, even if the information being presented is the exact same in both cases.

Would Jack Tretton's smackdown of the Xbox One at E3 2013 have resonated as much with consumers if it was a pre-recorded video in front of a white wall instead of happening live among roaring cheers and applause? Of course not.

These are the kind of intangible positives a stage event gives you, which is why everyone holds them whenever they have something worthwhile to unveil. Choosing not to have a live unveil could be interpreted as;

- They're worried that people will not understand the genius of the NX unless it is revealed in a 100% controlled environment (the concept is not immediately appealing)

Or

- They won't have much to gain from a live audience reaction (the concept is not that exciting)

Both of those cases show a lack of confidence in your product.

jmizzal

Not to had more fuel here but Vook is also going to a Press Event in Sydney this week.

Though he sais he's pretty sure it isn't about the NX.

NDA'd event maybe lol, Invite press to an event, dont let them know its NX related then Boom NX reveal

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think this warrants a new thread, so I hope it is ok if I post it here. Pawbyte, developer of the Pencil Game Engine, a while ago (September 15) mentioned on their website this:

2.Nintendo NX
At this time we are unable to disclose development in regards to support for the Nintendo platform codenamed &#8220;NX&#8221;.

Please check back in about 9 days.

Now it says:

2.Nintendo NX
At this time we are unable to disclose development in regards to support for the Nintendo platform codenamed &#8220;NX&#8221;.

Please check back at our estimated date of October 4, 2016 6PM CST.
Source: http://docs.pawbyte.com/platform-specifics/

I haven't seen this update mentioned earlier in a thread. There you have it.

Added: By "there you have it" I do not mean anything is going to happen on that day. It was meant only as a way to finish the post.

Rösti;218161766 said:
I don't think this warrants a new thread, so I hope it is ok if I post it here. Pawbyte, developer of the Pencil Game Engine, a while ago (September 15) mentioned on their website this:

Now it says:

Source: http://docs.pawbyte.com/platform-specifics/

I haven't seen this update mentioned earlier in a thread. There you have it.
That's the guy that was teasing NX info on twitter. I don't think it's accurate. If he actually knew then he wouldn't be able to say anything.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
$350?

Dead%20In%20the%20Water%20Poster%20Font%2002-0-800-0-1200-crop.jpg

Because live showmanship is one of the oldest sales tricks in the book. A well prepared and presented live event on a big stage, in front of a live audiencee sends a message of "Hey, this is a big deal", and will almost always trump even the best produced pre-recorded video in terms of impact to your average onlooker, even if the information being presented is the exact same in both cases.

Would Jack Tretton's smackdown of the Xbox One at E3 2013 have resonated as much with consumers if it was a pre-recorded video in front of a white wall instead of happening live among roaring cheers and applause? Of course not.

These are the kind of intangible positives a stage event gives you, which is why everyone holds them whenever they have something worthwhile to unveil. Choosing not to have a live unveil could be interpreted as;

- They're worried that people will not understand the genius of the NX unless it is revealed in a 100% controlled environment (the concept is not immediately appealing)

Or

- They won't have much to gain from a live audience reaction (the concept is not that exciting)

Both of those cases show a lack of confidence in your product.

Your first sentence right there proves that a live conference shows the exact opposite of having confidence in your product. If you need to rely on spectacle and sales tricks to sell your product, you couldn't possible be confident in it.

If, on the other hand, you take the time to create a detailed video presentation which describes your product in depth so that everyone can understand it you are selling one thing only- your product. There is no fluff, there are no tricks, your product stands by itself.

That's why I don't understand this argument. Maybe it creates the appearance of a lack of confidence to people who don't actually see through sales routines, but I would argue that Nintendo shouldn't be worried about that. They should be worried about explaining the product and the concept as clearly as possible.

Which you can only do if you have the utmost confidence in your product.

Edit: Not having a live conference only shows one thing- the lack of confidence in their ability to clearly present a new product in a live press conference. And I would agree that Nintendo hasn't done great with that in the past.

akileese

who says $350?

A Tesco link that called it the Wii U NX with no real release date. People are running with it as if it's the bible.

I'm not saying there's zero chance the system is $350, but maybe take a step back and breath. It clearly wasn't meant to go up and I don't trust Tesco to suddenly have insider information.

A Tesco link that called it the Wii U NX with no real release date. People are running with it as if it's the bible.

I'm not saying there's zero chance the system is $350, but maybe take a step back and breath. It clearly wasn't meant to go up and I don't trust Tesco to suddenly have insider information.
Seems obvious that it's a placeholder price. Not worth much discussing, I'd think.

udivision

So I actually went to PawByte's site.

When everyone thought Sept 20th was the date (including them) they posted this when the 20th rolled around.

"Some may have confused one of our previous tweets with a reveal date for the NX. I was stating my resolve to develop the engine also for the future NX hardware. But as it stands we are not YET an official middle-ware for the new platform. But zeal for it already consumes me. So for now I plan to discount the Game Pencil Engine Deluxe Edition by 60% until we do support the long-awaited NX system. So the price shall now drop from $50 to $20 until we are NX developers."

This is stupid. They're not even official devs yet so... they can't really be privy to anything we aren't. Stop being played.

If it's to be believed, we should also believe it's called the nintendo nx wii u , and will release on 31/12. People are being willful about some of this stuff, no matter how obvious a placeholder it is. Pointed this put to a dude on the last page and he ignored it to keep debating why he's drawing a line against $350. What can you do. People are starved and will debate nonsense. No one genuinely thinks it's anything.

So I actually went to PawByte's site.

When everyone thought Sept 20th was the date (including them) they posted this when the 20th rolled around.

This is stupid. They're not even official devs yet so... they can't really be privy to anything we aren't. Stop being played.

Oh come on. Disembarking the hype train again for now then.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know the price is probably fake, but people were discussing it so I figured fuck it yolo with the pic.

IMO anything over $299 is DOA, and even then $299 is gonna be a hard sale vs $250.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well then, here's something else that concerns an actual production partner (Mitsumi). From an investment research report published today, September 26:

mitsubishi_nxpqubz.png

Source: http://www.sc.mufg.jp/report/fj_report/pdf/fj20160926.pdf

Engrish translation:

Pokemon GO also continued to play a large market in the smash hit of the attention Pokemon GO Nintendo (7974). Pokemon GO plus to around September, the new game machine NX appeared scheduled for around next spring. Together with sometimes perform production Nintendo hard Mitsumi (6767), we should continue to focus.

The graph is for Nintendo / Mitsumi operating income (loss). Perhaps not too much to take from this, but it appears to confirm that Mitsumi is a production/manufacturing partner for NX. Maybe someone can provide a better translation?

MCN

Banned
If it's to be believed, we should also believe it's called the nintendo nx wii u , and will release on 31/12. People are being willful about some of this stuff, no matter how obvious a placeholder it is. Pointed this put to a dude on the last page and he ignored it to keep debating why he's drawing a line against $350. What can you do. People are starved and will debate nonsense. No one genuinely thinks it's anything.

The reason Tesco have set it so high is because if they set it too low, then people will demand it at the lower price, even after RRP is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom