• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigiTimes: Foxconn trialing production of NX, ~10m units expected annually

Status
Not open for further replies.
nxclusivebeyondgoodevmrjjs.png

Ok, its time to leave this thread and all NX threads until there will be an official communication, cause this is getting out of hand...

BKSmash

Ok, its time to leave this thread and all NX threads until there will be an official communication, cause this is getting out of hand...

Might as well leave until October 10th, because we aren't going to see shit until then lol. Maybe just maybe the announcement of the date that we will see it, but that's doubful.

ozfunghi

If surely doesn't look as if it's going to be published by Nintendo if Ubisoft is already trying it.

Are we talking about the "Thanks Ubisoft for making this possible" quote? That could just as easily mean "Thanks Ubisoft, for setting the IP of a game you were never gonna fund, free so that we can make it for another publisher". Basically a Bayo2 scenario.

Shiggy

Are we talking about the "Thanks Ubisoft for making this possible" quote? That could just as easily mean "Thanks Ubisoft, for setting the IP of a game you were never gonna fund, free so that we can make it for another publisher". Basically a Bayo2 scenario.

If Nintendo was to publish this, they'd announce it and not allow anyone to post game or marketing assets. And if Nintendo isn't publishing it, I don't see them funding it (see Bayonetta or Project Zero).

Jackano

If Nintendo was to publish this, they'd announce it and not allow anyone to post game or marketing assets. And if Nintendo isn't publishing it, I don't see them funding it (see Bayonetta or Project Zero).

Agreed.
This BG&E2 reveal seems clearly inline with the "independant Ubi" buzz against Bolloré.
This has nothing to do with Nintendo.

If the BG&E2 NX rumor was true, here is what we have got:
- No 'thanks Ubi" quote;
- No reveal via M. Ancel at all;
- NX leaks from Ubi devs.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

yes, I can't see any kind of Ubisoft Nintendo related leak

(look at Red Steel suspiciously...!)

I don't know nothing about this game/rumor and I find it hard to see such a game to be exclusive, so I'm not saying that it IS a NX exclusive at all.

LayLa

anyone else just sitting at the sidelines and watching the insanity unfold?

Yep, enjoying the madness.
Consoles are released very infrequently so I enjoy this period when people's imagination gets to run free before reality sets in, and Nintendo's unpredictability lets people get really imaginative!

It could also be that this isn't really teasing a reveal or announcement, but just using concept art to get shareholders happy before Ubisoft's meeting today. Not that I don't agree with you that an announcement would not come before Nintendo deemed it ready (if they were funding it), but this could just be a tease and not have to do with an announcement or reveal.

Also remember that the Destructoid rumor about them funding it was incredibly specific down to the subtitle of the game- The Prejudices of Philosophers. It'll be pretty easy to find out whether or not that rumor was bullshit or not down the road.

AniHawk

i think bge2 could be set for nx, considering it's ubisoft and they have been supportive of nintendo launches. exclusively - probably not. i would think it's a later 2017 title though, like sonic 17.

anyone else just sitting at the sidelines and watching the insanity unfold?

Yep.

I genuinely don't get why people are losing their minds, crying for nintendo to ease the pain to reassure them of something or whatever. It honestly comes off pretty pathetic.

Yeah, I want to know what system I'll buy in march next year too, but there are far too many games to play ....on top of...you know....real life stuff to get yourself worked up about them taking their time.

KAL2006

Banned
Yep.

I genuinely don't get why people are losing their minds, crying for nintendo to ease the pain to reassure them of something or whatever. It honestly comes off pretty pathetic.

Yeah, I want to know what system I'll buy in march next year too, but there are far too many games to play ....on top of...you know....real life stuff to get yourself worked up about them taking their time.

Well to be fair alot of peace money left aside for the holiday period to buy a Xbox One S or PS4 Pro or even 3DS with Pokemon. Delaying the announcement delays people's plans for what they want to purchase. Of people knew what the NX was and didn't like it they could continue buying whatever or if they liked the NX they could save their money and preorder the NX.

MuchoMalo

Banned
That's what I said. There is no Tegra X2. The version of Parker Nvidia is producing only exists for automobiles, and wouldn't make any sense for NX. The chip itself has all kinds of silicon dedicated to things that would never be in a gaming device, like hardware decoders for security devices, image sensors, and multiple live camera feeds. It also has Denver cores, which make a lot of sense for the types of code and routines being executed in an autonomous car, but are really poor for gaming overall.

That was the whole point of my post. Looking at Nvidia's other post-X1 Tegra products is not a very good indicator of what will end up in NX. You may as well read Tea Leaves or chicken entrails.

Eh, its still a good starting point. I don't see Nintendo adding more CUDA cores, but changing the core config to something with more traditional ARM cores would be expected, for example. That said, they could also go down to 1 SM for the sake of adding 32-64MB eSRAM.

Edit: Between the complaining and the fact that this was started from a source proven less reliable than even the delusional NX YouTube Crew, I'm ready to see this thread locked.

Thraktor

That's what I said. There is no Tegra X2. The version of Parker Nvidia is producing only exists for automobiles, and wouldn't make any sense for NX. The chip itself has all kinds of silicon dedicated to things that would never be in a gaming device, like hardware decoders for security devices, image sensors, and multiple live camera feeds. It also has Denver cores, which make a lot of sense for the types of code and routines being executed in an autonomous car, but are really poor for gaming overall.

That was the whole point of my post. Looking at Nvidia's other post-X1 Tegra products is not a very good indicator of what will end up in NX. You may as well read Tea Leaves or chicken entrails.

I dunno, I have it on good authority that NX is going to be crammed full of tea leaves and chicken entrails.

Lucifon

So I guess it's fairly safe to say RIP September for an announcement. Shall we all start looking forward to October 11th instead now as that seems to be a solid guess?

Rodin

That said, they could also go down to 1 SM for the sake of adding 32-64MB eSRAM.
They don't need to do that with Nvidia, thanks to tile-based rendering. I'll link those posts from thraktor again

Thraktor said:
A large cache or embedded memory pool is definitely something to look out for. Nintendo has dedicated around 30% of their last few custom dies to embedded memory (3DS, Wii U CPU & GPU), so they're obviously happy about dropping down big pools of SRAM and eDRAM on their chips. Typically this is so that the bulk of the data accesses (primarily the framebuffer) can remain on-die; increasing bandwidth and reducing latency and power consumption. This is actually a potential insight into one of the reasons Nintendo have switched to Nvidia for NX, as we've recently learnt that Maxwell and Pascal implement tile-based rendering, which is intended to achieve pretty much the same thing by optimising framebuffer access patterns to maximise the proportion of them that hit cache rather than main memory. What this would mean from Nintendo's point of view is that they could achieve the same goal with a much smaller pool of memory (perhaps 4MB compared to 32MB) and could do so in a way which is invisible to developers, so they only have to manage a single memory pool. It actually wouldn't surprise me if they could get the same or better performance at lower cost and power consumption by combining a large cache with a 64 bit memory interface than a smaller cache and a 128 bit interface.
Thraktor said:
The A9 has a 4MB SRAM cache which, on the TSMC 16FF version, takes up approximately 6.5mm². That's about half the size of a 64 bit LPDDR4 interface or an SM, and would provide double the cache of the GTX 1080.

Yes, that's what I was getting at when I said that this could be one of the reasons Nintendo decided to go with Nvidia, that they could achieve the same goals as before (reduced main memory bandwidth needs, reduced power consumption, etc.) with only 10% or less of the die, rather than 30%+.

This was two days ago. Did it ever materialize? I suspect we won't see this video until we already know the the NX is.
I have the same feeling. I keep thinking we won't see this video until NX is revealed hehe

A quick update. I asked my source (Magic 8-Ball app) if Nintendo will announce the NX reveal date next week and it said "Without a Doubt".

Maybe Kotaku might think my source is reliable and want to run an article on it. 🙃

Boy he REALLY likes that thing.

I think he's a Nintendo fanboy lol

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
In response to Yves Guillemot's comments on NX today, September 29, I can say that I like what I have seen too, and I am hoping to be able to provide a slightly more interesting input in the coming weeks and months. "Coming weeks and months" does not necessarily reflect a specific time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom