• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes: NX mass production delayed to early 2017, VR integration, hybrid(?)

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

Found by Anondreas in the Emily Rogers thread. In addition to noting that mass production seems to have been delayed from mid this year to early next year, this bit from their source seems to be calling for the old hybrid theory, plus VR:

The sources pointed out that the Nintendo NX combines the video gaming experience with the mobile gaming experience. The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system. Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market.

I dunno, aren't they reliable? I thought they were.

Nintendo's next-generation game console, the Nintendo NX is scheduled to enter mass production in early 2017, delaying about half a year from the company's original mass production plan in the mid-2016. Sources from the related upstream supply chain pointed out that the delay was because Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions.

The sources pointed out that the Nintendo NX combines the video gaming experience with the mobile gaming experience. The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system. Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market.

Nintendo's order volume for the game console has also been reduced. Nintendo originally planned to order 20 million units for the first year, but its shipment target is now only 9.5-10 million units. The sources believe the reduction was due to the fact that video game console market has been shrinking and concerns triggered by its Wii U's unsatisfactory shipment performance of two million units in 2015.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

rokkerkory

NX is in trouble with PS4k coming in the same time frame and just right after is Scorpio, both which are much much more powerful and have more 3rd party support.

I just truly hope that system is at least slightly more powerful than PS4, something unique ala Wii Mote and of course plethora of nintendo 1st party games.

Interesting if true. I wonder why they would delay it by that much? Did they change the hardware in order to incorporate VR? This would also mean that the NX won't be releasing this fiscal year so it might be a while before we hear anything about it.

I wasn't a VR skeptic, but after launch I'm starting to wonder.

Is this really the move they needed to make, given their system's rumoured power?

-Horizon-

Not sure how reliable they are. Some sites I see call them 50/50. Some say not at all. Some big sites still cite them as a source regardless. I don't know.

I'm gonna choose to not believe in this this time. Why?
1. I don't think Nintendo is jumping into VR. Not this time at least.
2. I still don't believe in any hybrid rumors.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But for now, I'm throwing salt at this article.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Does sound kinda expensive - unless they are using the cheapest hardware they can obtain. Also the NX USP might be not that special if they think they need to somehow add VR at this point.

Well...if the report is true.

Sources from the related upstream supply chain pointed out that the delay was because Nintendo wished to enhance the game console's video-game/handheld-game-integrated gaming experience and add virtual reality (VR) function into the system to gain advantages in the upcoming video game and mobile game competitions.
Hmm. That is interesting if true, but I have doubts.

Azure J

Wow.

Wow! What's happening here? Sounds so directionless. Toss everything at NX and see what sticks. Bring back Wiimote while you're at it.

E3 is going to be interesting.

NX is looking like it's simultaneously everything and nothing. I don't know what to think anymore.

Mr Swine

Banned
Can't it be a hybrid anyway? Not in the normal sense, a portable that has TV out and a ordinary stationary console

Kieli

If you're going to do VR, do it right.

I'm skeptical of this rumor unless the other rumour about power was wrong.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Cross post from another thread

The content of the OP's article seemed solidly unbelievable, and this post makes me think that could be a safe conclusion to come to.

Regardless, there's no way to know anything for sure until Nintendo announces it. I hope that happens soon.

LAA

Can't see NX taking off if by this they mean they're including VR with the NX. How much is this going to cost. I wouldn't say things were on their side as it was, but being the most expensive isn't going to help.

Contradictory concepts there too having a screened controller and VR. I suppose the screen just wouldn't be used in VR, but holding a big controller has no benefit when using VR.

Well, at least respect them for trying to be at the forefront of tech again, VR does feel like the next "wii" in a way, in that it's attracting non-gamers too.

atr0cious

No way Nintendo is doing an also ran VR this close to starting up the most important generation of its modern existence.

I already told yall in the one thread NX is a do everything machine based of those Patents Rosti found. Im not saying I believe this but if whoever researched and saw those patents its not hard to see how they speculated this.

DKHF

If NX is delayed significantly like it probably will be if this is the case and we end up having to wait until mid-2017 to see it as a result... Fuck.

I'm skeptical of this being true.

Calvero

Banned
Ufbr5ej.gif

edit: ready to eat crow anytime, though.

"Nintendo originally planned to order 20 million units for the first year, but its shipment target is now only 9.5-10 million units.".

This doesn't make sense. Their expectations lowered by half?! PS4K and Scorpio is going to kill it, isn't it?

jony_m

$599.

I don't believe it, VR is not tailored to children. I doubt they are willing to go on the rabbit hole of how can it impact a child's development.

If true this explains Nintendos bizarre e3 plans, having to cut back on everything to make these changes as quickly as possible.

Makes it seem like they realised the writing was on the wall for them and that they were once again going to risk being left behind by everyone else.

Top Bottom