• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis PSX, Dreamcast, and PC Differences by yours truly.

Jawmuncher

PSX
-Original version
-Supports Rumble
-Dpad Only
-Availble digitally on PSN in NA

Dreamcast
-Higher visual fidelity than PSX version
-Can run in VGA with boot disc (However FMVs won't work)
-VMU Support with icons and Health/Ammo Counter
-Unique pause screen due to no select button on the DC Controller
-Unique save screen to showing VMU and controllers.
-Dpad only
-Rumble Supported

Dreamcast VMU Icons
(From left to right ammo/vitality counter, game over screen, loading save data, loading save data complete, death from velociraptor, selecting save file, title screen, death from T-rex)
ammohealthcountern2k6r.png
gameover30kfi.png
loadacesskzjq4.png
loadcompletejyk55.png
raptordeathuljya.png
savefilek7jsp.png
titlescreenqpjts.png
trexdeath2ekvd.png

Dreamcast VMU Selection and Loading
vmuload6aj17.png
vmuselectpcjbq.png

Dreamcast Pause Screen
dcpause37k0w.png

PC
-All costumes unlocked from the beginning
-Operation Wipeout unlocked from beginning
-Operation Wipeout supported online leaderboards.
-Exclusive Arrange mode not in console versions*
-Higher visual fidelity than PSX version
-Can be ran without installing
-Supports Dinput
-Exclusive Windows theme
*Arrange mode might be a japanese difficulty not present in the NA&EU console versions. Will work on comparing when I get a hold of a copy.*

PC Title Screen
pctitlescreengrjhw.png

Left to Right - PC, DC (NullDC), PSX (ePSXe OpenGL Plug-in)
pcj3u6u.png
dreamcasth1ujo.png
psxj2ui8.png

Wanted to make this thread since I could never find a concrete listing of differences between all the versions. Sadly I don't have any capture gear so I can't provide a actual in-depth digital foundry like comparison. However I have a Emulation comparison which I found to be quite interesting. They're all running at 480p, and with the best rendering while keeping at the resolution. As you can see the DC version seems to come out the best and also has a slight change in it's lighting as well. Thanks to emulation the PSX and DC version can be ran at 60 FPS with no issues, while the PC version for some reason is locked at 31fps. The PSX version could perhaps be ran at a better render with different plug-ins, but for this comparison I wanted to compare with as little of a set-up to the user as possible. If possible I will provide a actual system comparison in full in the future.

Overall Verdict: Dreamcast
-Even without emulation the DC wins in every regard. When played on the original consoles the leap isn't quite as large, it's still a difference and the added VMU support and different lighting are a nice touch. Sadly the price for the DC version still hovers close to 15-20 on sites depending on condition.

Realistic Verdict: PSX
Due to it's ease of purchase, playable platforms, and cheaper price the PSX version remains just as fine a version to enjoy the game. Especially on vita/ps3 where you can alter controls use the analog as well as smooth the image. Then through emulation and perhaps even the use of different plug-ins could come out to looking similar to the DC version.

The PC version is a odd beast though. I had better performance on the Trial version than I did the retail version. I actually had to use the Trial launcher to get my copy of the PC version to launch. Not quite sure what the reason there was. A arrange mode and having access to everything aside from infinte weapons from the get go is nice however. But really only Dino Crisis enthusiasts need apply. The Windows theme I have covered here

deeptech

Nice thread. DC is one of my all time favorites. Never knew it could be ran at 60fps via emulator, must try sometime. I used to have PC ver. around but it's gone now

Rymuth

Saw the thread title and thought "huh, Jawmuncher would probably get a kick out of this thread."

Then I opened it. :p

This is great, I've only ever played the PSX version and never emulated, just the digital copy from PSN.

It's awesome that you broke down the VMU stuff, that's a great feature in games that I wish would make a return somehow. (Maybe integrate game saves with your cellphone?)

just make a Dino Crisis 4 already Capcom.

im hurtin

They should make a real Dino Crisis 3 first.

I had no idea that the DC version looked that good. Finding PC and PS1 discs was somewhat hard here, maybe I was looking at the wrong place all the time.

klee123

Yeah, the DC versions of the Capcom game ports from PSone are pretty much the definitive versions.

This includes RE 2 and 3 as well.

Better graphics and extra features comparable to the PC release, but in console form.

I just played through Dino Crisis for the first time recently, enjoyed it quite a bit. But I just wanna say that those DDK puzzles are complete and utter bullshit.

Shin-Ra

This is great, I've only ever played the PSX version and never emulated, just the digital copy from PSN.

It's awesome that you broke down the VMU stuff, that's a great feature in games that I wish would make a return somehow. (Maybe integrate game saves with your cellphone?)
The Second Screen stuff in MGS V Ground Zeroes is very good on a tablet with a live map of the island that's updated when you spot or interrogate guards for Intel.

baterism

19ijzMia1BaMg.gif

Can already guess the OP from the title alone.

Man, Capcom need to put DC2 PC to Steam. Some new features and engine improvement will be neat though.

MetalSlug

I was looking at Dino Crisis (Dreamcast) on Ebay yesterday. Originally got it for my birthday back in October 2000, but never managed to finish it.

Oemenia

Banned
Let also not forget the PSone version can be play in true widescreen using PCSX-R. It even has a new OpenGL plug-in that fixes the geometry wobbling.

Bl@de

I had no idea Dino Crisis had PC version.

First of all: Great thread. Love these flashbacks and comparisons

Capcom had a lot of ports back then. I never had a PSX but played RE1-3 and Dino Crisis 1+2 (don't hate me for loving 2 more^^ it was such a blast back then after so much survival horror) on my Win95/98 PC. They did a great job back then and the games (well I tested Resident Evil 1) still run perfectly on a modern system (just limit to 30fps or you will go into hyper mode).

Sijil

What about texture warping? Is it present in all versions or just the PSX version? if memory serves even with emulation of PSX games texture warping persists.

Jawmuncher

Let also not forget the PSone version can be play in true widescreen using PCSX-R. It even has a new OpenGL plug-in that fixes the geometry wobbling.
I'll look into this, figured there would be stuff like this going on.
What about texture warping? Is it present in all versions or just the PSX version? if memory serves even with emulation of PSX games texture warping persists.

Didnt really notice with the resolution I was at and in window mode.

First of all: Great thread. Love these flashbacks and comparisons

Capcom had a lot of ports back then. I never had a PSX but played RE1-3 and Dino Crisis 1+2 (don't hate me for loving 2 more^^ it was such a blast back then after so much survival horror) on my Win95/98 PC. They did a great job back then and the games (well I tested Resident Evil 1) still run perfectly on a modern system (just limit to 30fps or you will go into hyper mode).

I didn't include DC2 since theres no differences aside from platform and resolution support. Though surprisingly DC2 can go up to 1920x1080. Granted the pre-rendered background becomes really bad, but it's interesting that the game will go that high anyway. It uses Dinput as well and has a windows theme included. Though I never did a full emulation comparison against the PC version.

Op you got me just remembered I bought Dino crisis during a sale but never played it. After playing resident evil this may scratch the itch I've been having to play a similar type of game

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

What do you mean texture warping?

Jawmuncher

Cool thread OP, I never beat the game but played it a bit when it came out and had alot of fun and always wondered what the best way to play it today would be. Do you think there's any possibility of being able to modify the game on PC to allow for uncapped FPS as that dude did with Turok PC?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022896

There probably is a way to mess with it, including getting a higher resolution as well. But that's past my field of expertise. FPS would be dependent though by the port. Wish they would rerelease them even if as is, since that would be get with the know how to tinker with it. Though granted Capcom shouldn't rely on modders in that capacity.

Sijil

What do you mean texture warping?

Basically the PSX didn't have a z-buffer, meaning many 3D games on the PSX had polygons or textures popping over each other creating visual artifacts. Don't really know how to describe it accurately.

Here's an in depth explanation:

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/PlayStation_emulators#Emulation_issues

"The PS1 hardware didn't have a z-buffer. The lack of a Z-buffer causes things like Z-Fighting and polygons popping over others and makes it impossible to implement Trilinear/Anisotropic filtering in the PS1 emulators. Tekken character limbs are a good example to see that. It's theoretically possible to implement Z-Buffer in PSX emulators/GPU plugins.[7]

No texture perspective correction causes distortion to texture angles at certain viewing angles. Notably at the bottom near the camera. Which can be fixed with the Perspective-Correct texture mapping along with a modern texture filtering methods and texture replacement if someone implemented them in PSX emulators/GPU plugins"

It was very evident when I tried to emulate Fear Effect 1.

Jawmuncher

It looks like it has a filter. The lighting is duller and colors are tinted. It's also blurring textures. However, it could be emulation error?

I can double check, I tried to run it without anything of the sort but I might have missed something.

NEO0MJ

Can someone tell me what was so bad about Dino Crisis 3? I was jealous of Xbox owners because of it. I mean dinosaurs in space, how could it be wrong?

There probably is a way to mess with it, including getting a higher resolution as well. But that's past my field of expertise. FPS would be dependent though by the port. Wish they would rerelease them even if as is, since that would be get with the know how to tinker with it. Though granted Capcom shouldn't rely on modders in that capacity.

I agree, I would love a modern re-release and that would probably make it more accessible so more people could have a look at it to implement those features. I would love a community thread where we can work together and outsource old games to get them running well in a modern environment as well as implementing the features we'd expect from games today, I just wish we could have every game running at high resolutions/high framerates :D

Jawmuncher

Can someone tell me what was so bad about Dino Crisis 3? I was jealous of Xbox owners because of it. I mean dinosaurs in space, how could it be wrong?

Drops all connections from DC1&2 it's basically a reboot with a number on it. But for me it's more so that the story just isn't interesting and the gameplay is a weird mix that doesn't work. You have very high mobility, yet none of the camera angles help at all. You'll be zipping around not even knowing where you're going. Really it's biggest sin aside from dropping connections to DC1&2 is just being an absolute uninteresting boring game. It's sad how quickly the Space Dino angle gets old along with the characters. Non of them are memorable like Regina and Dylan.

pmj

How playable would the Japanese Dreamcast version be for someone who doesn't know any Japanese?

Oemenia

Banned
PCSX-R using Widescreen (GTE Hack) and PeteOpenGL 2 Tweaks 1.0 to fix geometry warping. No fix currently for texture warping but its far less of an issue.

uWk69tS.png

Top Bottom