• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dino Crisis Sales Data, SKUs, Merch, Legacy, Cameo's, Magazine Covers, & Ads Compiled

Jawmuncher

SKUs
Dino Crisis PS1
Dino Crisis PC
Dino Crisis PSN
Dino Crisis DC

---
Dino Crisis Greatest Hits
Dino Crisis The Best
---
Dino Crisis 2 PS1
Dino Crisis 2 PSN
Dino Crisis 2 PC

---
Dino Crisis 2 The Best
Dino Crisis 2 Essentials (Also known as Platinum)
---
Dino Crisis 3 Xbox (There was a apparently a platinum release of Dino Crisis 3 in japan so SKUs might have been combined for this title}
---
Dino Stalker PS2 (Also known as Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis in Japan) (I'm assuming even the guncon bundle exclusive to japan was kept together for sales purposes)

---
(Not Counted)
Dino Crisis 5th Anniversary Pack
Dino Crisis Dungeon in Chaos (Mobile, also known as Dino Crisis 3D)

Going off the capcom sales data this would be the total sales per title with all SKUs combined per title.
Dino Crisis - 2.4 million (19th Best Seller)
Dino crisis 2 - 1.2 Million (57th Best Seller)

Dino Crisis 3 - >250,000 (Thanks to Bruno MB)
Dino Stalker, Dino Crisis 2 PC, Dino Crisis PC/DC (Possibly PSN release as well) - 550,000 between them
-Without much data atm for how all of these are separated, the idea that they all share in the 550,000 pool is the only idea I have. Which means sadly that the series indeed tanked fiercely once capcom did Dino Stalker and Dino Crisis 3. I would say that the PC and DC ports didn't sell anything crazy, and that perhaps the PSN sales aren't being counted. But there's no way to be sure.
-It's possible that Dino Crisis 3 actually sold more than Dino Stalker despite being Xbox only in japan. Only evidence is the platinum release of the game in japan. Though the title never sold 1 million copies in total so unsure how that came to be. This coupled with there being no actual sales data for that title and perhaps the ports selling better than I thought. Especially if PSN is counted in the total.
-I will look some more for sales info and bump the thread if I come across SKU sale specifics for the unlisted titles.

I would like to add that for the series time frame, that these sales to me look fine. DC is still holding in the top 20 for capcom, and DC2 while 50% less than DC1 was also released a good few months after the PS2. I do sort of wish the series would have moved 100K with the recent $1 PSN sales to get it to 4.5 but looks like it wasn't enough. Though those were flash sales so maybe a good amount of people just missed them. Hopefully some steam PC ports of DC1 and DC2 could get the number close to 5 million. This data does make me wonder how a new Dino crisis title would sell. Based on it's style I would say at least 1 million copies sold would be a given. But that's a pretty arbitrary idea with no actual data. Aside from there being a lack of a AAA Dinosaur title and the popularity of Jurassic World. I really hope someone at capcom JP see's this thread so they can replace the DC3 logo and Patrick Tyler. We all know Regina and Dino Crisis 1 are the face of the series.
untitled3nuyrc.png
Series Legacy
Release Order:
  • Dino Crisis (1999)
  • Dino Crisis 2 (2000)
  • Dino Stalker (2002)
  • Dino Crisis 3 (2003)
  • Dino Crisis: Dungeon in Chaos (2003)
  • Dino Crisis PSN release (2009)
  • Dino crisis 2 PSN release (2011)
  • Dino Crisis PSN Avatar Pack (2011)
The release of the Dino Crisis 5th anniversary pack (Released in 2004 and exclusive to Japan), is the only anniversary acknowledgement capcom has made of the series. The Dino Crisis website's have all been taken down, including the japanese sites which were up a few years ago. After Namco X Capcom in 2005, it would be 9 years until another Major Dino Crisis cameo was seen thanks to Super Dead Rising 3. Sadly the series has yet to be released on EU PSN
Cameos
All Dino Crisis Cameos ordered by appearance
Resident Evil 3 [1999] (Regina Costume)
SVC: Card Fighters 2 Expand Edition [1999] (Game Card)
Resident Evil: Gun Survivor [2000] (Poster)
Namco X Capcom [2005] (Playable Character)
SVC: Card Fighters DS [2006] (Game Card)
Super Dead Rising 3 [2014] (Regina Costume)
*Possibly set in the same universe as Ace Attorney*
*Dinosaur stage in Street Fighter x Tekken could be related to Dino Crisis, but no big ties seem to indicate as such*
Merchandise
Advertising

I wanted to make this thread to share a lot of the stuff I have collected over the years through various searches and to consolidate a lot of Dino Crisis information into one place. There's no sites that seem to have this sort of information consolidated.
If I have missed anything worth compiling, I would greatly appreciate you telling me. I would especially like help in the merchandise section, due to there not being many resources there aside from people selling. This is probably the biggest collection of Dino Crisis items all in one place. Even though it isn't everything. I hope a lot of people can get some use out of this, and i'll be updating this when I see anything new.

Fury451

Banned
This is amazing. Great work OP, thanks for this!

I bought the hell out of those PSN releases and avatar pack.

Still no sequel :(

Ganondorfo

The only time we will get a new Dino Crisis game is if Jawmuncher will have a job at Capcom as a director and force everyone to make a new Dino Crisis game (hopefully with help with Shinji Mikami).

Onimusha and Dino Crisis franchise are the same, they are beloved by the community on the internet, but the company doesnt care about them anymore.

What do we have to do to get another Dino crisis? Seeing all this stuff kinda breaks me, i love the games :(
Great job compiling all of this jawmuncher!

kc44135

Cool and interesting thread, OP. I would LOVE to see a new Dino Crisis. Great series, great protagonist, and Dinosaurs! What's not to love?

Aggelos

Jawmuncher, very nicely done!

The release of the Dino Crisis 5th anniversary pack (Released in 2004 and exclusive to Japan), is the only anniversary acknowledgement capcom has made of the series. The Dino Crisis website's have all been taken down, including the japanese sites which were up a few years ago.

After Dino Crisis 3 Mikami Shinji admitted that he had plans for another Dino Crisis game, that is why the 5th Anniversary Pack appeared. Capcom was thinking that the series was alive and profitable for them. That was the promise that Shu Takumi and Kobayashi Hiroyuki gave to fans in the interviews of the Special DVD of the 5th Anniversary Pack.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shu_Takumi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Kobayashi_(producer)

But, ostensibly, time had in store a different agenda for the Dino Crisis series.
If the official JP webpages were taken down, then I don't think there is much hope for the series' revival.
Let's wait and see if there is something coming up this year. I hope that the success of Jurassic World elevated the thinking of some people in Capcom Japan to file/tender serious and earnest proposals for a Dino Crisis reboot to their bosses (the way Yoshiaki Hirabayashi did with Biohazard 2 remake last year)
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/resid...dback_being_taken_on_board_says_producer.html
Just for the record, I believe that a teaser trailer of Biohazard 2 Remake might appear this year.

Sesha

Good thread.

Regarding the sales info. You forget to take into account the sales from non-PS1 versions of DC1 and DC2. Also, I believe sales info on DC3 should be available from older financial reports which should be found online. I found some sales data for Onimusha: Dawn of Dream, for instance (it was about 500k up to that point. No clue about all-time).

Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher, very nicely done!

After Dino Crisis 3 Mikami Shinji admitted that he had plans for another Dino Crisis game, that is why the 5th Anniversary Pack appeared. Capcom was thinking that the series was alive and profitable for them. That was the promise that Shu Takumi and Kobayashi Hiroyuki gave to fans in the interviews of the Special DVD of the 5th Anniversary Pack.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shu_Takumi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Kobayashi_(producer)

But, ostensibly, time had in store a different agenda for the Dino Crisis series.
If the official JP webpages were taken down, then I don't think there is much hope for the series' revival.
Let's wait and see if there is something coming up this year. I hope that the success of Jurassic World elevated the thinking of some people in Capcom Japan to file/tender serious and earnest proposals for a Dino Crisis reboot to their bosses (the way Yoshiaki Hirabayashi did with Biohazard 2 remake last year)
http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/resid...dback_being_taken_on_board_says_producer.html
Just for the record, I believe that a teaser trailer of Biohazard 2 Remake might appear this year.

Thanks for this info. Was actually surprised by the japanese sites being taken down. Can't say exactly when they were since I didn't always check up on them, but was interesting to find out while making this thread. I've never gotten a hold of the 5th anniversary pack, so that info coming from the Anniversary DVD is interesting to hear. I guess the website's being taken down can go either way. They were extremely old and reminded me of the space jam website that is still around. As funny as it is I constantly check the Dino Crisis twitter handle. It's taken by someone who is not using the account anymore, but capcom would be able to obtain it since they own the trademark. Have seen that happen in the past for handles.

Good thread.

Regarding the sales info. You forget to take into account the sales from non-PS1 versions of DC1 and DC2. Also, I believe sales info on DC3 should be available from older financial reports which should be found online. I found some sales data for Onimusha: Dawn of Dream, for instance (it was about 500k up to that point. No clue about all-time).

Ahh you're right, just noticed that. So that means Dino Crisis PC/DC, Dino Crisis 2 PC, Dino Stalker, and Dino Crisis 3 along with possible the PSN releases all share those 800,000K in sales. Guess I'll try and dig to see if I can get any specifics. It's possible the digital stuff such as the PSN titles aren't being counted but who knows.

Sesha

The only time we will get a new Dino Crisis game is if Jawmuncher will have a job at Capcom as a director and force everyone to make a new Dino Crisis game (hopefully with help with Shinji Mikami).

Onimusha and Dino Crisis franchise are the same, they are beloved by the community on the internet, but the company doesnt care about them anymore.

I'm sure there's plenty who care, but the latter games of both franchises sold less than the first games, and with rising dev costs, more successful franchises like DMC, and increasing competition, it was probably hard to justify making new games. Capcom made constant attempts to create new franchises, hence all the weird new titles during the PS2 era, and even experimented with existing franchises (Resident Evil 4, Onimusha 4, Dino Crisis 3, Breath of Fire 5 for example. Even DMC2 and 3 to some extent), in an effort to see what stuck, and anything that wasn't a success was canned. Hence why Resident Evil 4, Dead Rising and Lost Planet got several sequels, and little else did.

Ahh you're right, just noticed that. So that means Dino Crisis PC/DC, Dino Crisis 2 PC, Dino Stalker, and Dino Crisis 3 along with possible the PSN releases all share those 800,000K in sales. Guess I'll try and dig to see if I can get any specifics. It's possible the digital stuff such as the PSN titles aren't being counted but who knows.

PSN sales might be counted, but there hasn't been any updates to any of the games or the franchise sales numbers AFAIK.

Jawmuncher

I'm sure there's plenty who care, but the latter games of both franchises sold less than the first games, and with rising dev costs, more successful franchises like DMC, and increasing competition, it was probably hard to justify making new games. Capcom made constant attempts to create new franchises, hence all the weird new titles during the PS2 era, and even experimented with existing franchises (Resident Evil 4, Onimusha 4, Dino Crisis 3, Breath of Fire 5 for example. Even DMC2 and 3 to some extent), in an effort to see what stuck, and anything that wasn't a success was canned. Hence why Resident Evil 4, Dead Rising and Lost Planet got several sequels.

PSN sales might be counted, but there hasn't been any updates to any of the games or the franchise sales numbers AFAIK.

Hopefully I can find the info soon.

SoldnerKei

As a fan of Resident Evil and cute dinos, Dino Crisis is still one of my fav games, sadly I didn't enjoy the second one that much because it drifted away too much from the formula of the first game... and the less I type about DC3 the better.

Great thread, bunch of stuff I didn't even know about the franchise.

jennetics

Really cool post. Thanks for all the info!

So I've never played any of the Dino Crisis' (Crisi'?) though I've always wanted to, just never remembered to buy/try it. Do you guys think that Dino 1&2 have aged well enough to play them today?

Aggelos

Thanks for this info. Was actually surprised by the japanese sites being taken down. Can't say exactly when they were since I didn't always check up on them, but was interesting to find out while making this thread. I've never gotten a hold of the 5th anniversary pack, so that info coming from the Anniversary DVD is interesting to hear. I guess the website's being taken down can go either way. They were extremely old and reminded me of the space jam website that is still around. As funny as it is I constantly check the Dino Crisis twitter handle. It's taken by someone who is not using the account anymore, but capcom would be able to obtain it since they own the trademark. Have seen that happen in the past for handles.

Yes I bought the 5th Anniversary pack back in 2004, and still have it. Can't forget. Wonderful pack and moreover can't forget the amazing experience that the 2 games instilled to me when I originally played them back in 1999 and 2000 respectively.
And the fact that during the interviews of Takumi and Kobayashi there was no mentioning of Dino Crisis 3 whatsoever, indicated that they had acknowledged that game as a flop and disregarded it. Around the end of the interviews they made a promise to fans to look forward for more Dino. Obviously, it was Mikami and chums who were working on something at that time.
This is the Mikami interview wherein he admits that he had further plans for the series (obviously after Dino Crisis 3)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1072109

So now it's up to some talented people in Capcom Japan to come up with proposals and tender them to their bosses and executives to convince them that the series can become once again lucrative and profitable.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094946

And if something like that happens (or already happened) then another webpage might come up (even though the old ones were taken down).

Jawmuncher

Yes I bought the 5th Anniversary pack back in 2004, and still have it. Can't forget. Wonderful pack and moreover can't forget the amazing experience that the 2 games instilled to me when I originally played them back in 1999 and 2000 respectively.
And the fact that during the interviews of Takumi and Kobayashi there was no mentioning of Dino Crisis 3 whatsoever, indicated that they had acknowledged that game as a flop and disregarded it. Around the end of the interviews they made a promise to fans to look forward for more Dino. Obviously, it was Mikami and chums who were working on something at that time.
This is the Mikami interview wherein he admits that he had further plans for the series (obviously after Dino Crisis 3)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1072109

So now it's up to some talented people in Capcom Japan to come up with proposals and tender them to their bosses and executives to convince them that the series can become once again lucrative and profitable.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1094946

And if something like that happens (or already happened) then the another webpage might come up (even though the old ones were taken down).

Would love for someday to get some more specifics on ideas they had planned for Dino Crisis as a series. Really want to know what made them go with the DC3 style and how they would have at one point fixed that with a 4th game. The idea he had for a new Dino Crisis game when asked recently was rather interesting.

Ban Puncher

I think much like how Dino Crisis 2 were heavily influenced by Jurassic Park. That if the series came back, capcom would follow their trends rather than the scientific communities.

I don't wanna talk to a scientist.

Y'all mother fuckers lyin', and gettin' me pissed.

soultron

Banned
For people who didn't like DC1, here's another person saying you should try DC2. It was way more action-focused (combo system, multiple weapons and customization) and it was hype as fuck.

I'd really love a remaster of DC1 and 2. Hell, it'd be nice if we ever get a Dino Crisis 3.

Jawmuncher

I can't believe people still care about this mediocre franchise

Think about it this way. After all these years, Dino Crisis 1 and 2 are still considered the best games involving dinosaurs as a primary focus. Sure there have been other games with dinosaurs since then, but none with the quality those first two titles had and as a main focus. Aside from perhaps Operation Gensis, which is a park building game.

Brhoom

Banned
Great work OP, I still love these games and replay them from time to time.

Still don't know how to find the password to the last door aka Dr kirk

Top Bottom